Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  904 905 [906] 907 908   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:12:13 AM   
matty_b

Don't worry, you're not alone in that. I tried to convince myself that by the end of the first season I'd been watching something really quite deep, clever and insightful. And then for some reason I forced myself through the second season as well, before realising, no, it's just shit.

January Jones is a terrible actress, all the other men in the office and their various wives/girlfriends/secretaries are completely interchangeable, and Don Draper's secret identity was just not that interesting. It can all be summed up by one episode where the most notable thing that happened was they went on a picnic and threw all their rubbish on the grass instead of putting it in the bin.

And kind of on-topic, but I never get into Scrubs, either. Admittedly, that's because I knew this insufferable twat at university who insisted that I watch it because he was sooooo much like JD (that's Braff's character, yeah?) It got to the point where it made me angry to watch it. So I stopped watching it.

That's an interesting story, isn't it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27151
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:16:45 AM   
Rinc

I liked it and watched the first two seasons through. But then whilst watching the third series when it was broadcast I totally forgot about it. It was only a few weeks later after missing a few episodes did I remember but I never went back to it because I couldn't be bothered. I'm never like that with TV shows but it was too much style over substance.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27152
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:37:44 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Don't worry, you're not alone in that. I tried to convince myself that by the end of the first season I'd been watching something really quite deep, clever and insightful. And then for some reason I forced myself through the second season as well, before realising, no, it's just shit.

January Jones is a terrible actress, all the other men in the office and their various wives/girlfriends/secretaries are completely interchangeable, and Don Draper's secret identity was just not that interesting. It can all be summed up by one episode where the most notable thing that happened was they went on a picnic and threw all their rubbish on the grass instead of putting it in the bin.

And kind of on-topic, but I never get into Scrubs, either. Admittedly, that's because I knew this insufferable twat at university who insisted that I watch it because he was sooooo much like JD (that's Braff's character, yeah?) It got to the point where it made me angry to watch it. So I stopped watching it.

That's ashame, I really love Scrubs, it's nice and light-hearted fluff that genuinely makes me laugh out loud. But I know what you mean - the more somebody pushes something onto you, the more averse to it you become. I actually started re-watching Scrubs from the beginning shortly before I went into hospital for my first op, and I'd forgotten how funny it was.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I liked it and watched the first two seasons through. But then whilst watching the third series when it was broadcast I totally forgot about it. It was only a few weeks later after missing a few episodes did I remember but I never went back to it because I couldn't be bothered. I'm never like that with TV shows but it was too much style over substance.

Huh, that's exactly what I'm thinking so far, but I'm only on episode 3, so I'm trying to keep an open mind to see how things develop, but I'm just not feeling it.

I thought I'd be ripped apart for my post, I thought everybody loved the show.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27153
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:46:04 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

That's ashame, I really love Scrubs, it's nice and light-hearted fluff that genuinely makes me laugh out loud. But I know what you mean - the more somebody pushes something onto you, the more averse to it you become. I actually started re-watching Scrubs from the beginning shortly before I went into hospital for my first op, and I'd forgotten how funny it was.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Huh, that's exactly what I'm thinking so far, but I'm only on episode 3, so I'm trying to keep an open mind to see how things develop, but I'm just not feeling it.

I thought I'd be ripped apart for my post, I thought everybody loved the show.

Add me to those who don't rate it particularly highly. Production design was fine enough, and some of the performances were nice. But they were just so proud of the former and few of the latter were in any story that was particularly well written or interesting.

I'd ditch the lot and rewatch The Apartment frankly. Or something like Pitfall which kicks into touch this ignorant attitude the makers seemed to have that they were creating something the innocents of the time couldn't own up to.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27154
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:54:08 AM   
sanchia

quote:

I quite liked it for the first couple of seasons, then when JD made the same mistakes and learnt the same lesson for the umpteenth time I started to find most of the character rather unlikable. i really wanted to punch Zach Braff by the time season 98 came around (or whatever it was).

It's a lovely day outside I should turn off my television set and go outside and do something less boring instead.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27155
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 12:10:17 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

I quite liked it for the first couple of seasons, then when JD made the same mistakes and learnt the same lesson for the umpteenth time I started to find most of the character rather unlikable. i really wanted to punch Zach Braff by the time season 98 came around (or whatever it was).

It's a lovely day outside I should turn off my television set and go outside and do something less boring instead.

That's fair enough. I still like it, but I always thought he was a dick after ***spoilers - just incase there's one person out there who hasn't seen any and wants to keep it all a surprise*** he bleated on and on about Elliot being the one for however many seasons, ruined her current relationship, and then within one episode of being together told her he didn't actually love her.***end of spoilers*** I always thought less of his character after that.

I'm currently making my way through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and it's hilarious. All the characters are deliberately unlikeable, in such a way you actually love them for their ridiculousness.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27156
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 12:46:01 PM   
matty_b

The other thing about Mad Men, though - I just don't find the concept of advertising and how it works particularly interesting. So the episodes that would revolve around some tricky product they had to sell, and no-one knew how to do it, would generally end with Don doing some grand presentation at the end that I presume was meant to make our jaws drop in amazement at his manly awesomeness and advertising genius.

Except every time I just thought, "Right, and?" The only character I found in any way interesting or amusing was Pete Campbell.

And I might actually like Scrubs, but I can't get past the fact I'll always associate it with this complete twat that I knew.

You know how there's always that one girl (or guy, depending on your preference) that you really, really wish you'd kissed either at school or university? Well, he's the one guy that I really, really wish I'd punched right in the face.

But I don't think I could commit to something that's, like, however many seasons long it lasted for. I want to do a rewatch of The Shield and BSG this year, keep up with some other stuff and I treated myself to the first four seasons of Breaking Bad on payday, so I'm sorted for TV stuff for a while.

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27157
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 12:49:15 PM   
elab49

THing is with Scrubs, I think, you couldn't sit through seasons of it. Turning it on occasionally on a satellite channel is pretty much what it's there for for me.

Mad Men - maybe, if it were better written, advertising would be less of an issue? Impossible to tell though

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27158
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 3:47:43 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

THing is with Scrubs, I think, you couldn't sit through seasons of it.

Heh, that's exactly what I've done, twice now. Watched it from scratch and just gone through season after season. Different strokes and all that...

quote:

But I don't think I could commit to something that's, like, however many seasons long it lasted for. I want to do a rewatch of The Shield and BSG this year, keep up with some other stuff and I treated myself to the first four seasons of Breaking Bad on payday, so I'm sorted for TV stuff for a while.

Funny you should mention BSG, as I'd decided about a week ago that I wanted to rewatch it too. Something triggered it and all of a sudden I desperately wanted to watch it all again.

Anyway the last time I watched it, a pal had burnt it all onto discs for me... but that was a while ago now and I have no idea where those discs are. When I worked at Waterstones I'd picked up S1 & S3 from HMV when I still got discount there, with the intention of buying the rest eventually. So with this sudden and immediate desire to rewatch it again recently, I got my dad to drive me into town to go to my flat to pick these up, and I figured I'd probably just buy the other seasons from amazon or something.

However I discovered when I went to put S1 on, that it doesn't actually contain the mini-series. And then when I thought about it, I realised I'd have to either buy or obtain the webisodes somehow too. I basically realised that for this show in particular, it'd be far more economically sound to buy a complete boxset which contains absolutely everything. So I had a look online and the cheapest I could find was around 49, which I'm not sure I can spend just now, with being off work and all.

So I'm currently stuck, wanting to watch it all again, but not being able to. It's my birthday next month though, so I might ask for the boxset then.

Also, have you seen any Breaking Bad yet? If not, I AM SO JEALOUS.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27159
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 4:04:06 PM   
matty_b

Nope, I'm a Breaking Bad virgin. I've not heard a single person say it's anything less than excellent though, so I'm expecting a lot. And if it lets me down...well, that's four seasons I'll stubbornly get through to at least get my money's worth before hoying them onto eBay.

BSG - yeah, I'm the mood for mass extinction and a grim battle for survival at the minute. Funny that...

I don't recall watching any of the webisodes, however, unless they're a special feature on the DVDs, in which case I just didn't bother.

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27160
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 4:05:44 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm thinking I now want an iPad mini after playing around with my stepdad's.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27161
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 4:37:21 PM   
paul_ie86

I like Mad Men, although seasons 4 and 5 are on a different level to the first three. I did binge watch the first three though. It's more episodic than something like Breaking Bad, and doesn't really benefit from watching it that way. So it just clicked when I watched it week to week. I also think it was better than Breaking Bad last year, both were excellent though so it's really just splitting hairs.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27162
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 4:50:54 PM   
Sway

quote:

Nope, I'm a Breaking Bad virgin. I've not heard a single person say it's anything less than excellent though, so I'm expecting a lot. And if it lets me down...well, that's four seasons I'll stubbornly get through to at least get my money's worth before hoying them onto eBay.

BSG - yeah, I'm the mood for mass extinction and a grim battle for survival at the minute. Funny that...

I don't recall watching any of the webisodes, however, unless they're a special feature on the DVDs, in which case I just didn't bother.

There's two lots of webisodes - they give you a bit more background on stuff. As far as I can remember, they're not crucial, but they make a difference to your perception of a few things.

I've only had one person tell me so far that they couldn't get into Breaking Bad, and we usually share the same taste in films/tv, so I was very surprised.

I will always be thankful for my pal in Glasgow who told me to watch it - I was hooked from the first 5 minutes of the opening episode. Mental!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27163
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:30:27 PM   
kumar

If i didnt need the toilet so much I would laugh... but im currently locked to the confinements of my own bedroom because something in my door handle is broken. I went to open it and heard an unfortunate metallic "click" and was immediately unable to open. Dad unscrewed from the outside, ive unscrewed from inside... the metally square rod inside turns, but the thing on the side of the door does not come out of the socket. Since mum and other family are asleep my dad decided to call it a night early on, and ive rung to call it in to work tomorrow, no chance of me getting there.

Hope my bladder holds out.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27164
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:46:12 PM   
Sway

You've just been left locked in your room because people are sleeping!? To be melodramatic for a second, what happens if there was a fire? I know...what are the odds of that happening on the one night you're trapped in your room, but I'd feel really panicked if I was stuck in my room.

My bladder would definitely not hold out a whole night either.

Well, I'm not really helping matters am I? Hope you get a decent sleep, don't need to pee and your dad doesn't forget about you in the morning before he disappears out to go shopping or something!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 27165
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:50:57 PM   
matty_b

kumar, I sincerely hope that you're OK and get through the night, but this has really, really made me laugh -

quote:

my dad decided to call it a night early on

It's the sheer casual nature of that statement.

*kumar's dad looks at watch* "Ah, screw it. Sorry, son. I'll sort it in the morning. Goodnight!"

Ah, man. I needed a good laugh today and that's it. Sorry. Hope you get out in the morning.

quote:

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 27166
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:54:24 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

what happens if there was a fire?

quote:

Two birds with one stone.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27167
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 10:59:11 PM   
matty_b

Hey, kumar...

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27168
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 11:02:16 PM   
steffols

The bladder issue, I'm assuming, unless your room is the basement, that you have a window?

I would definitely be very unsettled being forced to stay in a room all night! Also, I can barely go three hours without needing the loo so I would be well and truly fucked. Good luck!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27169
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 11:08:54 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

what happens if there was a fire?

quote:

Two birds with one stone.

Kumar's situation reminds me of my aunt who had a similar experience. Her door jammed and she couldn't get out to use the toilet - she shouted on her sister who woke up and came to the door to find out what was going on but after a couple of attempts of trying to open the door she decided she was too sleepy to do anything about it so said she was heading back to bed.

My aunt ended up peeing in a jewellery box or something!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27170
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 11:10:53 PM   
MonsterCat

Sorry to hear that Kumar. What a pisser.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27171
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 11:16:35 PM   
Shifty Bench

This is why everyone should live in bungalows.

Also, I have done my back in, so I am confined to my bed. I can get up if I have to, it just hurts a lot. It also hurts if I laugh, so this page is killing me

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27172
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 11:27:46 PM   
kumar

Haha buggers...

Other members of the family are asleep and regardless, noise at this time would cause a fight. Im beginning to struggle at the moment with the loo issue but will manage... and dont worry if there is a fire, I can crawl out the window. Though the roof is a little steep there is barely an 8 foot drop to the drive, which I will probably land on a car and walk if off bare foot. Bruce Willis style.

*edit, though it does face the street and the rest of the houses, so pulling it out for a slash is not really an option.

< Message edited by kumar -- 3/3/2013 11:28:14 PM >

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27173
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 11:39:18 PM   
elab49

Can you not do something with the hinges?

quote:

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 27174
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 11:42:20 PM   
MonsterCat

Sorry I was taking the piss there, Kumar. Sounds like urine a tough spot.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27175
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/3/2013 11:48:15 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Can you not do something with the hinges?

The hinges are on my side (it opens inwards) and my dad told me to look at them. There is a pin in each obviously, but they are almost completely flush. Ive tried having a go to prise them out with a knife but no use, I cant get any purchase.

I slide the knife under to dad to try and slide down to get the pin thing to slide in an open but he couldnt manage it, and though its an extreme resort (to which mum and dad will obviously be upset with) the door might have to be kicked in from the outside.... few more attempts tomorrow should sort it.

As I said, the twisty mechanism in the handle is fine, but there was a metallic twang, and the bit that holds the door shut in the door frame doesnt appear to be moving at all (difficult to tell since the gap is so small).

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27176
RE: What are you thinking......... - 4/3/2013 12:06:44 AM   
elab49

If it's like the mechanism in one of our windows it'll have to be the wood or the bolt cut through. I think a good kick is your best bet tomorrow

quote:

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 27177
RE: What are you thinking......... - 4/3/2013 1:03:32 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Feeling massively burnt out after a big weekend of drinking On the bright side, just applied for a job, fingers crossed!

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27178
RE: What are you thinking......... - 4/3/2013 7:53:18 AM   
kumar

I empathize completely with this guy

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27179
RE: What are you thinking......... - 4/3/2013 9:52:43 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

I empathize completely with this guy

Oh no, did things get that bad you had to tunnel out through your own shit? Condolences.

At least you're out!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 27180
Page:   <<   < prev  904 905 [906] 907 908   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  904 905 [906] 907 908   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI