Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  886 887 [888] 889 890   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:32:08 PM   
elab49

Hey oop

Trying to catch up on film viewing. You?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26611
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:33:17 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I'm flicking between this and Days Of Thunder. Friday night rock n roll.

There's your desperate Friday night viewing right there

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 26612
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:33:32 PM   
matty_b

I'm on here because there's a commercial break during Celebrity Big Brother's Little Bit on the Side which I'm currently doing.

Also worrying that my taxi home is going to show up or not.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26613
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:35:21 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

There's your desperate Friday night viewing right there

I haven't actually seen it since I was a teenager, and already I have Rich Hall's Tom Cruise joke playing on a loop in my head

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26614
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:35:42 PM   
Sway

quote:

Friday nights are great for staying in, especially if you're working throughout the week. Because you've got that lovely feeling of knowing you're off for two whole days, so you can really enjoy the evening, stay up late watching films, know you can sleep in the following morning AND you still have Saturday night to go out.

What you watching elab?

I'm just pottering about online. Unsurprisingly haven't really been able to fall asleep easily this week, so have to wait until my face is hitting the keyboard. Why are worries and fears always magnified at night time?

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 26615
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:44:49 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

Friday nights are great for staying in, especially if you're working throughout the week. Because you've got that lovely feeling of knowing you're off for two whole days, so you can really enjoy the evening, stay up late watching films, know you can sleep in the following morning AND you still have Saturday night to go out.

Yeah, Fridays are mint for that. Although since I became dole scum one day blurs into another with horrifying ease so the weekend is kind of meaningless to me at the moment

quote:

I'm just pottering about online. Unsurprisingly haven't really been able to fall asleep easily this week, so have to wait until my face is hitting the keyboard.

You could speed up the process by getting someone to hit your face with the keyboard. Voila! Earlier bed time

< Message edited by superdan -- 18/1/2013 11:45:13 PM >

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26616
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:45:13 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I'm on here because there's a commercial break during Celebrity Big Brother's Little Bit on the Side which I'm currently doing.

How can you any translation software pick up that stuff!

quote:

What you watching elab?

Swinging between a Japanese film and a Korean TV series. Latter is pure pulp - just happens to be subtitled.

At night? Sun makes us smile, new day bobbins. More distractions, sorting out the day.

Night - it's just us and our head and worrying too much.

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 26617
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:46:45 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

There are times when they just yell and gibber, so I just have to shrug my shoulders and wait for someone to put a sentence together. Although sitting in an office by yourself, talking out loud about having morning glory when you need a wee at this time of night, is slightly surreal to say the least.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26618
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:50:40 PM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

Talking of translation problems..... What is this, I don't even.

quote:

You could speed up the process by getting someone to hit your face with the keyboard. Voila! Earlier bed time

Not sure if my parents would oblige, I might just have to try faceplanting down the stairs.

I remember the feeling very well from being on the dole. And infact I've been off my work since the start of November due to these stupid health problems, so know exactly what it's like. The frustrating thing is, I'd been in to see my manager last week to tell him I'd be ready to return to work at the start of February...... Nope!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26619
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:52:12 PM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

Although sitting in an office by yourself having morning glory when you need a wee at this time of night, is slightly surreal to say the least.

You're such a contradiction matty.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 26620
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:52:54 PM   
elab49

Longest period I had off work was 3 months because of a car crash - I was so fed up I went back far too early (and paid for it over the next couple of years). You'll be champing at the bit by the time you get near to going back.

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26621
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:55:01 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Put up a subtitle which reads: "This is shit. Don't watch it".

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 26622
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:56:06 PM   
superdan

quote:

Longest period I had off work was 3 months because of a car crash - I was so fed up I went back far too early (and paid for it over the next couple of years). You'll be champing at the bit by the time you get near to going back.

It's been a real education for me, because I hadn't even had so much as a fortnight without working since I was 21. I would never have thought it possible to watch so much Horror Channel that I start going "Seen. Seen it. Seen"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26623
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/1/2013 11:59:44 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Although sitting in an office by yourself having morning glory when you need a wee at this time of night, is slightly surreal to say the least.

You're such a contradiction matty.

That, and sending out stuff about vaginas earlier today. I'm definitely heading for disciplinary action.

quote:

Put up a subtitle which reads: "This is shit. Don't watch it".

Tempting, very tempting.

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26624
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:00:19 AM   
Sway

quote:

Tell me about it.

Not only do I miss a routine and point to my day, but a lot of my workmates are actual mates. So I really miss hanging out with them all and seeing them on a daily basis. Not to mention the fact I missed out on the Christmas night out, and am currently missing out on loads of arranged trips to climbing walls and hills. I was so excited about going back to work, and when I went in on Friday I was so happy to be seeing everyone again. We were going to start me off on half days to see how I got on, because I've recovered well from the last op, but I was cautious about pushing it incase I did what you ended up doing, and suffering for doing too much too soon.

Then that very same day I got told I'd need more surgery. So instead of moving back into my flat on Sunday, I was there picking up more stuff to bring to my folks house. If the op goes well, I'm looking at returning to work in April at the earliest. That's so far away.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26625
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:04:33 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

It's been a real education for me, because I hadn't even had so much as a fortnight without working since I was 21. I would never have thought it possible to watch so much Horror Channel that I start going "Seen. Seen it. Seen"

I watch the Horror Channel far too much anyway. Also, they do show Pontypool a lot.

quote:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 26626
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:08:26 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Tell me about it.

Not only do I miss a routine and point to my day, but a lot of my workmates are actual mates. So I really miss hanging out with them all and seeing them on a daily basis. Not to mention the fact I missed out on the Christmas night out, and am currently missing out on loads of arranged trips to climbing walls and hills. I was so excited about going back to work, and when I went in on Friday I was so happy to be seeing everyone again. We were going to start me off on half days to see how I got on, because I've recovered well from the last op, but I was cautious about pushing it incase I did what you ended up doing, and suffering for doing too much too soon.

Then that very same day I got told I'd need more surgery. So instead of moving back into my flat on Sunday, I was there picking up more stuff to bring to my folks house. If the op goes well, I'm looking at returning to work in April at the earliest. That's so far away.

Although there were still a couple of people around I had a similar problem - I was back home in Glasgow and all my mates were in London, and the old Glasgow ones mainly scattered all over for work.

All this modern tech makes it a lot easier to keep in touch now but it's going to be really frustrating for a bit - you'll concentrate on getting better, then get annoyed it's not happening sooner and, if able, start kicking things.

That does actually help you know. As long as you choose the right thing. Not, like, a wall eg

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26627
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:09:45 AM   
superdan

quote:

All this modern tech makes it a lot easier to keep in touch now but it's going to be really frustrating for a bit - you'll concentrate on getting better, then get annoyed it's not happening sooner and, if able, start kicking things.

That does actually help you know. As long as you choose the right thing. Not, like, a wall eg

A cat?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26628
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:13:35 AM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tell me about it.

Although there were still a couple of people around I had a similar problem - I was back home in Glasgow and all my mates were in London, and the old Glasgow ones mainly scattered all over for work.

Frustration is right. I remember getting to the point in my current recovery when I'd be sitting down watching a film or reading stuff online and I'd completely forget I'd had major surgery and would feel totally fine and start thinking about doing this or that.... and then remember when I tried to stand up that it would be a long time before my body would actually let me do any of it.

I guess I know what to expect for the next op. Which on one hand is good, because knowledge is power so they say, but I just don't feel like I have the energy to go through it all again.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26629
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:20:05 AM   
Hood_Man

My mum would be ashamed of me if she ever heard me say this, but I think I could very happily do nothing for a long time.

Damn bills keep getting in the way though

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26630
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:21:42 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tell me about it.

Frustration is right. I remember getting to the point in my current recovery when I'd be sitting down watching a film or reading stuff online and I'd completely forget I'd had major surgery and would feel totally fine and start thinking about doing this or that.... and then remember when I tried to stand up that it would be a long time before my body would actually let me do any of it.

I guess I know what to expect for the next op. Which on one hand is good, because knowledge is power so they say, but I just don't feel like I have the energy to go through it all again.

You know yourself that's night-time and frustration and a bit of depression talking though. Tomorrow you'll feel a bit stronger and plow on because we generally always do.

One of the things the NHS can't really afford to help with is the care of patients heads around these things - even just a helpline to chat before operations. I've always thought that'd be really useful. A lot of charities do provide something. When my dad was diagnosed we discovered all these local help groups or places where he could just go sit and have a cup of tea and be with people who understood how pissed off you'd be at various stages because they'd gone through it too.

I guess it depends if you're into the support group thing though. He didn't feel massively comfortable with it. An old friend loved it though - they all used to go on long paced wanders to bitch about how they felt, out of the hearing of anyone medical.

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26631
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:41:28 AM   
matty_b

The absolute worst thing about living alone is having no-one to turn the heating on for you coming in from work. FUCK ME this house is cold.

If the ghost would stop mucking about with Jr's toys and master the central heating for me instead, I'd be much more grateful for its presence.

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26632
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:41:50 AM   
Sway

quote:

You know yourself that's night-time and frustration and a bit of depression talking though. Tomorrow you'll feel a bit stronger and plow on because we generally always do.

One of the things the NHS can't really afford to help with is the care of patients heads around these things - even just a helpline to chat before operations. I've always thought that'd be really useful. A lot of charities do provide something. When my dad was diagnosed we discovered all these local help groups or places where he could just go sit and have a cup of tea and be with people who understood how pissed off you'd be at various stages because they'd gone through it too.

I guess it depends if you're into the support group thing though. He didn't feel massively comfortable with it. An old friend loved it though - they all used to go on long paced wanders to bitch about how they felt, out of the hearing of anyone medical.

That's very true. Which is why it's bit of a vicious circle this whole staying up late thing is. Can't sleep because I'm worried, so stay up until I'm impossibly tired, but just worry more, and then can't get to sleep.....

I have certainly thought about the support group idea, particularly for the aftermath of the surgery which is when I'm going to find things really hard going. However at the same time, speaking about it all doesn't particularly help me, because I could talk about it until the cows come home, it's not going to change what I have to go through. But perhaps speaking to somebody in the same situation might make me feel differently.

< Message edited by Sway -- 19/1/2013 12:52:44 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26633
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:46:30 AM   
Sway

quote:

The absolute worst thing about living alone is having no-one to turn the heating on for you coming in from work. FUCK ME this house is cold.

If the ghost would stop mucking about with Jr's toys and master the central heating for me instead, I'd be much more grateful for its presence.

Maybe write down a list of rules and explain that in return for not charging rent you'd be happy if it could stop giving you the willies and do something more constructive instead.

Teehee, I said willies.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 26634
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:52:09 AM   
elab49

Bet Matty's been subtitling worse than that tonight. Still - he's safe home now, away from the scary reality show people

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26635
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 12:56:48 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

My mum would be ashamed of me if she ever heard me say this, but I think I could very happily do nothing for a long time.

Damn bills keep getting in the way though

You'd be surprised.

I'm bit of a contradiction myself - on one hand I can be exceptionally lazy and really enjoy sitting/lying down doing nothing but watching films for days on end, but other times I can't handle the thought of not being out there and climbing hills or enjoying the outdoors.

I always thought if I had loads of time off I'd be very content. What actually happens is all your days blend meaninglessly into one long tedious day.... You have no routine or appreciation of time. You can't actually appreciate a lot of things that you used to, because if you're not working at all a weekend is much the same as a weekday to you. And so on .....

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 26636
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 9:55:35 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

Maybe write down a list of rules and explain that in return for not charging rent you'd be happy if it could stop giving you the willies and do something more constructive instead.

Honestly, if it would do the ironing and hoovering it could haunt the shit out of me.

Wasn't there a sitcom like that on the BBC years and years ago?

quote:

Teehee, I said willies.

You been talking to my son?

quote:

Bet Matty's been subtitling worse than that tonight. Still - he's safe home now, away from the scary reality show people

There's two of them who, in the house, have amalgamated into one character called Speidi. I don't know who, why, or why anyone would care?

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 26637
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 10:16:53 PM   
MonsterCat

I've probably said this a thousand times before on this thread, but I'll say it again...

THE DOG OWNERS IN MY VILLAGE ARE FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 26638
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/1/2013 10:33:11 PM   
sanchia

The Dude abides. I want his cardigan.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26639
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/1/2013 11:24:18 AM   
matty_b

Fuck. Fuck.

I've just realised that exactly a year ago today was the last time I saw my brother-in-law alive.

Fuck. That is a weird feeling.

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 26640
Page:   <<   < prev  886 887 [888] 889 890   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  886 887 [888] 889 890   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI