Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  856 857 [858] 859 860   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 2:12:56 PM   
superdan

Got a phonecall from an employment agency and I've got a telephone interview tomorrow for a job I don't even remember the title of and am completely unqualified to do. Feeling hopeful At least it's an interview, which is more than I've had for the last 6 weeks

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 25711
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 3:06:47 PM   
Scruffybobby

Nipped into HMV at lunchtime with a view to picking up Red Dwarf X on DVD. I couldn't find it despite it being released yesterday. I asked and they said they'd got in one - ONE - copy which they sold yesterday. I didn't expect the thing to haveAvatar type demand but seriously only one copy?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 25712
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 3:41:12 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You have my sympathies. I've been at both ends of that phone and at the receiving end the shock can make you forget you're probably talking to someone grieving themself, to whatever extent, or simply dry up because you're not sure what to say. I'm really bad at this myself.

This time last year, just after my Mum had died, I was having to say this to a few suppliers/clients.
The conversation normally went like this:-
"is Mrs **** there?"
"No, I'm afraid not, she passed away last month"
(In a sombre tone) "Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that" Slight pause, then in a cheery tone "is so-and-so there instead? You seem to be a bit late paying an invoice"
"Shove your invoice up your effing arse" tended to be my reply, perhaps a bit unnecessarily, but fair enough at the time.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25713
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 3:57:33 PM   
King_Bard

Five weeks to go till Baby Bard is born. Seems awfully real now!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 25714
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 4:43:50 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I've had ongoing back problems for a while now, and it completely went off yesterday.

Had to leave work early to come home and could barely walk without either crying or wanting to walk doubled over.

It's a bit better this morning, but it does feel like I've had the crap kicked out of me.

I know how that is matty it is terrible. I am still getting over the surgery on mine at the moment and am still in the "has it worked or hasn't it?" stage.

I hope you improve soon as it is an awful thing when you can't do anything,

Cheers, Sanch.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25715
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 4:53:52 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah back problems are not to be trifled with. I tore a muscle in my lumbar region a few years back (by bending over to run a bath ffs) and as my knees buckled and I nearly passed out with the pain, in that split second I was convinced I'd never walk again. I was like an old man for about 2 months afterwards (over Christmas as well so that was nice) but thankfully it doesn't seem to have affected me long term. It did give me a new found respect for people suffering from chronic back pain though so you have my sympathy.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 20/11/2012 4:58:04 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 25716
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 8:34:45 PM   
Sway

I can empathise too - I very sporadically suffer back problems for no apparent reason. Used to get it a lot more when I was a bit younger - I remember visiting home from Uni one time and my mum returned from work to find me on the couch unable to stand up because my back was so sore. It hadn't happened in years until earlier this year when it came on suddenly again and I couldn't even walk properly, just had to shuffle. Thankfully it usually clears up within a week and I've never needed anything more than mega pain killers, but it's the debilitating effect of not being able to move freely that's the kicker. So I feel bad for the rest of you guys, esp Sanch, who've suffered far more extreme cases than I ever have. Hope everybody gets better soon.

On an unrelated note, has anybody here had any experience with their bank card and potential fraud? I got an automated call from my bank this morning asking me to confirm details (I double checked online to make sure it wasn't a scam call - it never asked for any account or security details) about transactions from yesterday that have been blocked. I listened to what the transactions were for and it wasn't anywhere I'd been, but I was half asleep (still in bed) and it started connect me to an operator, so I hung up as I was nowhere near awake enough to talk to anybody about bank transactions. Anyway rather than call the bank back I was going to pop in to a local branch tomorrow - i prefer dealing with people face to face rather than the phone. Will my local branch be able to help, or will I need to call this number back?

This post is a mini-essay. For that I do apologise.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 25717
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 8:44:48 PM   
sanchia

You probably will need to call the bank number rather than the bank as sadly they don't seem to have the same power nowadays as they used to in sorting potential problems. You will probably find your card is locked as well if it is anything like the times I have had scammers try it on. Luckily they saved me about 300 last time when someone in Reading was buying pay as you go phones and top up cards from my card (I still have no idea where they got my details from but having been had the same happen three times in the space of a three months with nothing showing on my computer and not using any new websites etc to pay for things I got an anti RFID wallet and no problems since then).

I tend to get the number from the bank website rather than go via the number given in case it is a scam number. I would say do it as quickly as possible as valid payments may be held up along with dodgy ones although it may be because you have been at home and Christmas shopping and may have been tagged as a suspicious level of activity.

In addition I have just seen a Cockatoo singing along to Gangnam Style, My life is now complete.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 20/11/2012 8:52:54 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 25718
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 8:54:55 PM   
homersimpson_esq

When I worked for a credit card company, in the approach to Christmas we would have companies calling to authorise payments, because the card had done an above average number of payments over a given period. Generally we'd increase the number that produced this authorisation in the approach to Christmas, just because people always spend more, obvious. But it just means that if there is a sudden atypical spending pattern, the system recognises it and queries it at the point of sale.

Some time later we started to get calls from customers asking if an automated phone call was valid - it was basically what you describe. A service which calls customers to verify transactions, etc. It does sound dodgy, and people always assumed it was a scam. I never thought it was a good idea for this very reason.

But caution is always advisable. Check the bank site as suggested above, rather than the number itself. Or google the number - that should throw up any forums querying possible scams on that number.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25719
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 9:00:17 PM   
Sway

Yeah my card has been locked at the moment, which I knew would happen. I noticed it when I tried to buy something else online this evening.

The transactions I supposedly have made, according to the automated call, are certainly not ones I have done myself. I have double checked my receipts for the past couple of days and thought back to where I've been and what I've bought and there's definitely something weird going on.

I double checked the number online and it checked out ok. I'd just rather get this sorted face to face with somebody, I find I'm really awkward on phonecalls of this kind of nature.

Not to mention the fact this number is outwith my mobile contract and will end up bumping up my bill this month. Ugh.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25720
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 9:05:51 PM   
sanchia

Another downside is potentially a week without a card until a new one is sent.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 25721
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 9:08:12 PM   
Scruffybobby

Having a bit of experience re card fraud procedures having worked for HSBC. I would say go along with Sanchia's advice. GIve your bank a call on a number that you know to be genuine. If there was a call from their fraud dept it will be logged (We didn't use an automated system to call customers - that was always done by a real person but other Banks may have different systems.)and they may well be able to pass you through to them straightaway to sort any problems (depending on opening hours) if not they can still put a temporary or permanent stop on the card. If you card has been compromised then you need to have it stopped and replaced. It might cause a few days inconvenience but that's better than having your account raped. You may still be charged initially but you should get the funds back (there may be some forms to complete though)

You can go into the branch but they would have to pass you on to the fraud people anyway to deal with investigations and refunds but they will be able to arrange a new card. There may however be nothing to worry about. Systems will pick up so many transactions on so many random debit or credit carsd and flag them for call just as a precaution.

Give them a call ASAP

edit - don't be put off if you're asked for security when you call in - that's normal practice

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 20/11/2012 9:11:27 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25722
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 9:08:44 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

On an unrelated note, has anybody here had any experience with their bank card and potential fraud? I got an automated call from my bank this morning asking me to confirm details (I double checked online to make sure it wasn't a scam call - it never asked for any account or security details) about transactions from yesterday that have been blocked. I listened to what the transactions were for and it wasn't anywhere I'd been, but I was half asleep (still in bed) and it started connect me to an operator, so I hung up as I was nowhere near awake enough to talk to anybody about bank transactions. Anyway rather than call the bank back I was going to pop in to a local branch tomorrow - i prefer dealing with people face to face rather than the phone. Will my local branch be able to help, or will I need to call this number back?

This post is a mini-essay. For that I do apologise.

Best to call them, would take 2 mins.

I get this 2 or 3 times a year - usually atfer a) buying a train season ticket and b) spending lots of dosh online at overseas sites (happened last month with Barnes and Noble).

They usually just confirm your details and read the last 10 transactions back to you.

I got an automated call too - ignored it, they left a message and I called up the normal bank number and asked to be put through to the fraud dept where they confirmed it was blocked.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 25723
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 9:37:50 PM   
Sway

Well I just called back the original number and jumped through the hoops the automated system wanted me to, only to be told all their advisers were busy and somebody would call me back on my number as soon as possible.

So then I called the number on the back of my card and went through another similar process, finally getting to speak to somebody. Went through their questions and I explained the situation.

They told me they'd need to put me through to to another department, and I was transferred through but put into a queue. I was on hold for far too long so I eventually just hung up.

Suppose I'll just have to try again tomorrow.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 25724
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 9:48:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

I am so down today. I am skint and can't find a job, it's getting really soul-destroying. I had to borrow a tenner from my sister earlier, something I really don't like doing. She's cool about it but I'm the one who is supposed to be looking out for her.

I know I'm being pathetic and feeling sorry for myself but I'm just......ugh........I want to cry.......

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 20/11/2012 9:49:19 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 25725
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 10:08:20 PM   
sanchia

Sorry to hear that Shifty. It is a terrible situation and the way the country is, in fact the world it does not offer much comfort.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 25726
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/11/2012 10:15:30 PM   
Sway

I understand how frustrating it is Shifty - I once found myself unemployed for 10 months after being made redundant from my job. I applied for everything - and I got 2 interviews in that whole time (the second one being the job I eventually got). I had to go on the dole, and it still remains the most soul destroying experience I've ever had.

So don't let the bastards grind you down! It's understandable to feel down about it, and to even indulge in it briefly, but cut yourself some slack - it's natural to feel that way, just pick yourself up and try again.

Just keep chipping away at it buddy. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but you will get something.

Post #: 25727
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 12:16:42 AM   
Hood_Man

I sat down in the cinema at 7:15 to watch Lawrence of Arabia, and only got home about 10 minutes ago.

Never boring, despite it's epic run time. Dull 90 minute films really have got no excuse.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 25728
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 12:20:12 AM   
Hood_Man

Also, big hugs to everyone going through shitty times lately

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 25729
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 1:23:18 AM   
horribleives

Watching a video on YouTube of Deacon Blue doing Fergus Sings The Blues on Top Of The Pops in 1989 has just reminded me of one of the best wanks I ever had.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 25730
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 5:38:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I feel like watching the Lakers play the Nets. I wonder how I can do that?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 25731
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 5:50:58 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Or even Green v Cameron LIVE!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 25732
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 6:15:18 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Hobbs beat me to it by being up RIDICULOUSLY EARLY, clearly. How bad was it this morning, Hobbsy?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 25733
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 6:46:33 AM   
Hobbitonlass

One of them had 109 posts.........

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 21/11/2012 8:41:35 AM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 25734
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 8:37:10 AM   
sanchia

What a strange night. I could not sleep because of a box in my head full of strange things (best way to describe it, emotion and stuff) which I had to actually concentrate on keeping in one piece because there seemed to be too much in there and it was buckling. Every time I stopped concentrating on keeping it whole I nearly had what I think is a panic attack. Very strange. I think I know what has caused it and hopefully it will be cleared out in the next couple of days.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 25735
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 8:43:05 AM   
Hobbitonlass

'king hell!!!

I swear the spammers read and took note!! Just deleted about 30 of the fuckers all with single posts

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25736
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 9:26:59 AM   
matty_b

Sorry to hear of your problems, Shifty.

I've had two spells of unemployment, both were pretty much soul-destroying.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 25737
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 4:45:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia
Sorry to hear that Shifty.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway
Just keep chipping away at it buddy. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but you will get something.

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Sorry to hear of your problems, Shifty.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I don't usually complain about it but I just had a really bad day yesterday.

quote:

I've had two spells of unemployment, both were pretty much soul-destroying.

It really is. I had a job for 3 months this year before they decided they couldn't afford to keep me, so I had a wee slither of hope at least

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25738
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 4:50:26 PM   
Sway

Well today was finally my breaking point.

Called the bank again and turns out somebody had got my card details and has so far spent up to 700, mostly on the Next website... Obviously the bank cancelled my card asap while speaking to them and talked me through how this will all get fixed, but still a headache.

Been on the phone to the doctors twice and the hospital twice today trying to find out when my next appointment is going to be. According to the last person I spoke to my latest referral is going to be looked at tomorrow and it'll be decided upon then whether it is 'urgent' and I'll get seen to asap or 'routine' where I could be waiting for up to 3 months.

I currently can't work, I can barely walk very far. Trying to sleep is a nightmare and I'm constantly out of breath. I can't NOT go to work for the next 3 months, that's ridiculous. But I can't work either.

I called my dad today and bubbled down the phone. I've had enough.

Post #: 25739
RE: What are you thinking......... - 21/11/2012 4:56:01 PM   
Shifty Bench

Awww, Sway.....

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 25740
Page:   <<   < prev  856 857 [858] 859 860   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  856 857 [858] 859 860   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI