Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  660 661 [662] 663 664   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/4/2012 10:18:15 PM   
Hood_Man

Chris Hoy is incredible!

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 19831
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/4/2012 10:18:57 PM   
Magenta

Is that the guy who played Cat in Red Dwarf I'm seeing In Blade II ..?
I'm a Red Dwarf fan I should know but I'm not a Blade fan.. just gotta put up cause Mr M is watching and I can't be frigged to boss no more..
bless him ...

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 19832
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/4/2012 10:26:04 PM   
matty_b

Danny John Jules? Yeah, I believe he's in it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Magenta)
Post #: 19833
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/4/2012 10:34:59 PM   
Magenta

Yeah thats him but Mr M says he's been deaded now ..poor lamb
He was always my fav in Red Dwarf ..
Cat: Hey, this has been a really good day. I've eaten five times, I've slept six times, and I've made a lot of things mine. Tomorrow, I'm gonna see if I can't have sex with something.

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 19834
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 12:58:22 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

Thanks DC, much appreciated! I've had anxiety attacks before but not for a couple of years now. Last night I just couldn't breathe and although it only lasted a couple of minutes it was absolutely terrifying. Was even a bit nervous to go to sleep last night but I feel tons better now. Don't want that happening too often!

If I may, can I ask how you got through them? I mean, if you haven't had them in such a long time, what do you think made them finally stop?

Okay, I'll bare a little of my soul, if it'll help a bit. What made them stop? It was all about regaining control and realising that I needed some help. So I ended up with counselling which was invaluable. But I had to take that decision myself, I had to get to grips with the problem myself.

Everyone's experiences are different, different circumstances, different triggers. For me the problem started when I finished A-level and spent an awful semester at a well-known university where everything that could go wrong did go wrong and I ended up back home with my parents not knowing what the hell was going on. I was always a bit of a hypochondriac and that was how the depression manifested, with me convinced that I was dying and inflicted with every possible ailment (self-diagnosis = bad idea). Anxiety attacks galore, and it got so bad that I couldn't go outside without freaking out. I kept going to the doctor and he wasn't impressed by my behaviour so he prescribed me meds and told me to see a counsellor. At first this didn't work because I resented being told I was in need of mental help, like I wasn't being listened to. The pills didn't work anyway and the counsellor was crap - I remember she kept looking at the clock over my head the whole time. I lasted one session. The panic attacks actually subsided for a while but then returned with a vengeance literally overnight. I could barely make it to the post-box, my parents didn't have a clue how to deal with me, all my school-friends were off pursuing their new lives. Something had to give.

I went back to the doctor, only this time I asked to see my old childhood doctor instead. He was fantastic, he was very patient, very understanding, and he actually sent me off to have various medical tests that would prove I was physically fine for my own peace of mind. He said counselling was "an option". So he let me come to that decision myself, which was vitally important. I started new sessions with a different counsellor and he was fantastic and we worked through various stuff over the course of a few months. During that time I felt like I was regaining control and was being listened to (I couldn't talk to my parents about stuff that had happened at UEA) and I decided that I'd had enough and I reapplied for university at the end of 1996. I left it a bit late but the following September in 1997 I was off to Manchester. I was back, baby.

I haven't had an attack since then. I'm come close a few times and I'm still a bit of a hypochondriac (I think I was born one) and I've developed some fascinating and infuriating OCD which my wife finds delightful. It's all about perspective and control and using whatever you can to maintain both when things in your world take a scary and unexpected turn. It can be hard, and it can baffling to other people if they don't know how to help you and support you. But if you want help you must never be ashamed to get it. And you must come to that decision yourself, the first step to regaining some of that control that for whatever reason might be eluding you. I'm married with young kids now and if I'm honest I don't think I ever fully recovered from that period. But Time can build armour and I think I know enough tricks now to keep the wolf with the imaginary brain-tumour at the door. As for my impending midlife crisis, well....

Sorry for rambling. If you need to talk anymore about it just drop a PM.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 19835
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 2:26:36 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Thanks DC, much appreciated! I've had anxiety attacks before but not for a couple of years now. Last night I just couldn't breathe and although it only lasted a couple of minutes it was absolutely terrifying. Was even a bit nervous to go to sleep last night but I feel tons better now. Don't want that happening too often!

If I may, can I ask how you got through them? I mean, if you haven't had them in such a long time, what do you think made them finally stop?

Okay, I'll bare a little of my soul, if it'll help a bit. What made them stop? It was all about regaining control and realising that I needed some help. So I ended up with counselling which was invaluable. But I had to take that decision myself, I had to get to grips with the problem myself.

Everyone's experiences are different, different circumstances, different triggers. For me the problem started when I finished A-level and spent an awful semester at a well-known university where everything that could go wrong did go wrong and I ended up back home with my parents not knowing what the hell was going on. I was always a bit of a hypochondriac and that was how the depression manifested, with me convinced that I was dying and inflicted with every possible ailment (self-diagnosis = bad idea). Anxiety attacks galore, and it got so bad that I couldn't go outside without freaking out. I kept going to the doctor and he wasn't impressed by my behaviour so he prescribed me meds and told me to see a counsellor. At first this didn't work because I resented being told I was in need of mental help, like I wasn't being listened to. The pills didn't work anyway and the counsellor was crap - I remember she kept looking at the clock over my head the whole time. I lasted one session. The panic attacks actually subsided for a while but then returned with a vengeance literally overnight. I could barely make it to the post-box, my parents didn't have a clue how to deal with me, all my school-friends were off pursuing their new lives. Something had to give.

I went back to the doctor, only this time I asked to see my old childhood doctor instead. He was fantastic, he was very patient, very understanding, and he actually sent me off to have various medical tests that would prove I was physically fine for my own peace of mind. He said counselling was "an option". So he let me come to that decision myself, which was vitally important. I started new sessions with a different counsellor and he was fantastic and we worked through various stuff over the course of a few months. During that time I felt like I was regaining control and was being listened to (I couldn't talk to my parents about stuff that had happened at UEA) and I decided that I'd had enough and I reapplied for university at the end of 1996. I left it a bit late but the following September in 1997 I was off to Manchester. I was back, baby.

I haven't had an attack since then. I'm come close a few times and I'm still a bit of a hypochondriac (I think I was born one) and I've developed some fascinating and infuriating OCD which my wife finds delightful. It's all about perspective and control and using whatever you can to maintain both when things in your world take a scary and unexpected turn. It can be hard, and it can baffling to other people if they don't know how to help you and support you. But if you want help you must never be ashamed to get it. And you must come to that decision yourself, the first step to regaining some of that control that for whatever reason might be eluding you. I'm married with young kids now and if I'm honest I don't think I ever fully recovered from that period. But Time can build armour and I think I know enough tricks now to keep the wolf with the imaginary brain-tumour at the door. As for my impending midlife crisis, well....

Sorry for rambling. If you need to talk anymore about it just drop a PM.

Wow, thank you so much! I really respect you writing all of that and you've completely hit the nail on the head, in regards to how I feel personally. Depression (in my experience) is a black, all consuming hole, which gradually takes over your life and only gets progressively worse. I am getting progressively worse and last nights panic attack scared the shit out of me. I didn't have control you see and was therefore rendered helpless. I do know that I need to speak to someone but I also now realise how "cunning" depression can be. I keep telling myself that because I still have my "good days", I must be able to beat it. My thoughts are too dark to want to share and now I'm at the point where, when I do have a bad day of it, I'm scared as to what I'd be actually capable of. It's just so sad to think that had someone of told me a year ago that I'd be like this I would'nt have believed them one bit. I was always such a hapy-go-lucky soul, who would do anything for anyone. Naive perhaps but happy. I still see remnants of my old self but certainly nowhere near enough to recognise the old me.

Your post has helped me put into perspective a lot of things and so for that I thank you.

Art

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 19836
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 4:23:44 AM   
Hood_Man

Nostalgia I've just found an old short story on my hard drive that I wrote when I was 17, and even though I say so myself it ain't half bad.

I do wonder where the desire to write went though... I remember writing it but I don't remember ever being passionate about that sort of thing

Post #: 19837
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 9:14:56 AM   
sanchia

The new Pepsi Max advert looks like it cost a fortune but is a big pile of poo poo.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 19838
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 10:03:49 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

The new Pepsi Max advert looks like it cost a fortune but is a big pile of poo poo.

Is that the football one?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19839
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 10:57:12 AM   
sanchia

Yep, I think the supposed sliding kick when they are supposedly surfing the crowd is the breaking moment, it looks awful.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 19840
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 11:23:16 AM   
elab49

I think I may have marginally misjudged the amount of paint I need today 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19841
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 1:26:18 PM   
Stillwater

If one more person calls unemployment 'funemployment' to me, I will start punching some faces

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19842
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 1:49:37 PM   
sanchia

The funbags are also a good place to punch in such instances.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 19843
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 4:44:12 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I know shockingly bad, same goes for all those Olympic 2012 themed ads I've seen so far this year.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19844
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 7:54:53 PM   
Rhubarb

I am thinking I have seen various girls wearing ponchos, can these come into fashion for guys too? They look warm.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 19845
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 8:25:08 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I am thinking I have seen various girls wearing ponchos, can these come into fashion for guys too? They look warm.

Of course they can.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 19846
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 9:13:44 PM   
Spaldron

Considering a late night jaunt to the garage for snacks.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 19847
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 9:15:28 PM   
Harley Quinn

That I'm seriously thinking of packing a bag and walking away from everyone and my life in London. I've spent the whole bank holiday basically on my own in tears because my parents were with my sister and my son. Mr HQ fucked off home because I was "hard work!".

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 19848
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 9:16:59 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

That I'm seriously thinking of packing a bag and walking away from everyone and my life in London. I've spent the whole bank holiday basically on my own in tears because my parents were with my sister and my son. Mr HQ fucked off home because I was "hard work!".

I feel for you Harley, really I do. I've spent pretty much this whole week the same, in that I've hardly stopped crying because I ask for respect.

*Mega Ninja Hugs* babe.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 9/4/2012 9:24:26 PM >

Art

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 19849
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 9:59:27 PM   
Sway

Gutted. My flatmate found the Mr T doll I put in his bed, before he went to his bed.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 19850
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 10:07:45 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Gutted. My flatmate found the Mr T doll I put in his bed, before he went to his bed.

I pity the fool.

Sorry.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 19851
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 10:13:21 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

Well, I've surely proved that I can be a pretty efficient little Ninja. Internet marketing going well, with my Facebook page hitting 1,345 "likes". Quite chuffed actually.

Art

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 19852
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 10:14:05 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

I pity the fool.

Sorry.

YOU WILL BE.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 19853
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 10:16:40 PM   
MonsterCat

I hate it when a plan doesn't come together.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 19854
RE: What are you thinking......... - 9/4/2012 10:23:49 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Or when a plan happens but doesn't go as planned.

I've been on the Yazoo, forgive me.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 9/4/2012 10:24:01 PM >

Art

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 19855
RE: What are you thinking......... - 10/4/2012 12:24:43 AM   
Spaldron

I've decided against that late night garage trip due to the pissing weather.

Post #: 19856
RE: What are you thinking......... - 10/4/2012 12:27:45 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Or when a plan happens but doesn't go as planned.

I've been on the Yazoo, forgive me.

Like in every episode of Scooby Doo, they make a plan but it never goes as planned.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 19857
RE: What are you thinking......... - 10/4/2012 7:17:14 AM   
sanchia

Whoever came up with the new BBC Breakfast set must view colours a bit differently to me. Red sofas with clashing orange walls mixed with blue badly painted scenery in the background.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 19858
RE: What are you thinking......... - 10/4/2012 8:55:09 AM   
elab49

The camerawork makes it look like they're in a cupboard as well. Also, did the costume people look at the set before dressing her?

I've not gotten used to their new sports news set either - far too messy and busy.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19859
RE: What are you thinking......... - 10/4/2012 11:16:35 AM   
MonsterCat

So I had a job interview this morning, and it went pretty decently, but I'm not getting my hopes up. At this point I'm used to disappointment.

Should know if I have it in the bag by 6pm tomorrow.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19860
Page:   <<   < prev  660 661 [662] 663 664   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  660 661 [662] 663 664   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI