Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  617 618 [619] 620 621   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 2:44:08 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stillwater

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I'm thinking about whether or not I should enter the Dundee International Book Prize this year. Judges include Stephen Fry and Philip Pullman which seems a tad intimidating.

Go for it! What's the worst that happens? Yeah maybe you won't win, but if you don't enter then you definitely won't.

You're right, of course, that would be the logical and optimistic way to approach this, and I've got four to choose from. Trouble is I'm a bitter old sod. No, maybe not bitter. Tired, that's a better word.

But as you say there's no harm. Winning could be a harmless fantasy for a couple of months. Might give me some energy.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 18541
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 2:44:17 PM   
Rhubarb

its a kiss, innit. Just a mark of affection you miserable sod.

Also "Am looking for a fridge" is not a replacement for I'm so much as just getting rid of the I alltogether to make the sentence sound more active. It makes sense on a Fb status or something.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 18542
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 2:46:31 PM   
DazDaMan

No and no.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 18543
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 4:02:36 PM   
Stillwater

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stillwater

quote:

I'm thinking about whether or not I should enter the Dundee International Book Prize this year. Judges include Stephen Fry and Philip Pullman which seems a tad intimidating.

Go for it! What's the worst that happens? Yeah maybe you won't win, but if you don't enter then you definitely won't.

You're right, of course, that would be the logical and optimistic way to approach this, and I've got four to choose from. Trouble is I'm a bitter old sod. No, maybe not bitter. Tired, that's a better word.

But as you say there's no harm. Winning could be a harmless fantasy for a couple of months. Might give me some energy.

You've written four books? That's amazing! I think you should enter, even if you don't win you never know what might come from it. Afterall in the age old anecdote, JK Rowling got knocked back from 12 publishers before one took a chance on her.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 18544
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 7:41:39 PM   
horribleives

Listening to Mark Lanegan's majestic newie's got me thinking: It really is about time I bought the first three Screaming Trees records. I've only been into them for 21 years.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 18545
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 7:55:50 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Listening to Mark Lanegan's majestic newie's got me thinking: It really is about time I bought the first three Screaming Trees records. I've only been into them for 21 years.

Dollar Bill was the first song I taught myself on the guitar. True story.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 18546
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 8:18:19 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Dollar Bill was the first song I taught myself on the guitar. True story.

Sweet Oblivion's awesome.
I'm pretty sure the first thing I learnt all by myself was The Clairvoyant by Iron Maiden. But I've forgotten it now. That's a true story too.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 18547
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 9:03:18 PM   
steffols

Plums are the princesses of fruit.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 18548
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 9:09:45 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

And yet plum jam is the evil usurped prince of jam. Weird.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 18549
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 9:17:00 PM   
steffols

He was stolen as a baby by the banana witches and brought up to bring down his purply family.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 18550
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 9:33:25 PM   
steflon

i need to find a long low gradient hill ready for my summer longboarding

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 18551
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/2/2012 9:38:55 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Dunno about that but I once ate a prune that looked like Carrie Fisher.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 18552
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 12:22:23 AM   
King of Kafiristan

I am thinking about Alexander III of Macedon's decision to take Roxanne as his first wife, and how I am unable to account for what he could possibly have intended with such a move. I don't buy the idea he would have had to do something that drastic in order to broker a peace with the Bactrian tribes. Unless it really was some sort of grand gesture, symbolically unifying east and west, there is just no explanation. And yet, there is virtually no action he could have undertaken that would have done more to sow discord and resentment among the Macedonians. If his goal was to establish the roots of an Asian kingdom, surely marrying first into the Persian royal family would have achieved much the same ends. Marrying a barbarian, a warlord's daughter.. how could the ruling class in Greece or Persia ever have embraced an heir born of such a disreputable union? Was he banking on simply outliving his critics? That he'd have time to develope his empire, and personally ensure an orderly succession? Or was he exhibiting no forethought whatsoever, acting on a whim?

One of the great mysteries....

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 24/2/2012 12:24:41 AM >

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 18553
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 1:58:56 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

I am thinking about Alexander III of Macedon's decision to take Roxanne as his first wife, and how I am unable to account for what he could possibly have intended with such a move. I don't buy the idea he would have had to do something that drastic in order to broker a peace with the Bactrian tribes. Unless it really was some sort of grand gesture, symbolically unifying east and west, there is just no explanation. And yet, there is virtually no action he could have undertaken that would have done more to sow discord and resentment among the Macedonians. If his goal was to establish the roots of an Asian kingdom, surely marrying first into the Persian royal family would have achieved much the same ends. Marrying a barbarian, a warlord's daughter.. how could the ruling class in Greece or Persia ever have embraced an heir born of such a disreputable union? Was he banking on simply outliving his critics? That he'd have time to develope his empire, and personally ensure an orderly succession? Or was he exhibiting no forethought whatsoever, acting on a whim?

This ^ folks is what too much acid does to you.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 18554
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 2:20:49 AM   
Hood_Man

I'm thinking Alexander was a shit film.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 18555
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 2:22:44 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

If taking acid makes you post smart shit like that, I'll have what he's having.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 24/2/2012 2:23:14 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 18556
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 2:26:35 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

If taking acid makes you post smart shit like that, I'll have what he's having.

Dats some deep shiiiiiiiiii man........

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 18557
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 6:55:30 AM   
Drew_231

quote:

Now I cant stop thinking about this!

Post #: 18558
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 8:12:23 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

She had nice tits. Mystery solved.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 18559
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 8:21:04 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Some people have waaaaay too much free time on their hands.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 18560
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 8:57:20 AM   
DancingClown

Yeah, like all of us basically.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 18561
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 8:59:48 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

Obviously it's just conjecture at this stage, but I often think acts of apparent self interest in marriage from great leaders are often a way of proving independence and showing that they will not be dictated to by anyone, not their own aristocracy or their own people, in short, a big 'fuck you, I'm big dick' symbolic bird flipping. That Alexander's own mother was in many ways looked down on because she herself wasn't Macedonian (and as a result, Alexander's own legitimacy questioned) might have contributed to this assertion of autonomy.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 24/2/2012 9:00:07 AM >

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 18562
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 9:13:11 AM   
DancingClown

I'm thinking why do most of the contestants on Pointless always look really shocked when they're expected to know things?

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 18563
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 9:24:16 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

I'm thinking why do most of the contestants on Pointless always look really shocked when they're expected to know things?

Speaking of which, is it just me, or does Pointless seem a bit dumbed down these days - I mean, picture rounds?

I'm thinking the King of Kafiristan could do a lot worse than look for an answer within the pages of Stephen Pressfield's "The Afghan Campaign" which, even if it doesn't solve the mystery of Alexander of Macedon's choice to his complete satisfaction, is a cracking read.  According to this, the marriage wasn't so much a great unification of east and west as it was Alexander marking his territory in a ""your princess is mine, therefore your lands are also now mine" stylee.  Or maybe he misheard something and married a Bactrian because he wanted a good hump?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 18564
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 9:27:00 AM   
DazDaMan

I do like Pointless, but I've not watched it in ages.

I prefer The Chase these days, though.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 18565
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 9:36:27 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I do like Pointless, but I've not watched it in ages.

I prefer The Chase these days, though.

National Lottery's Who Dares Wins > those two.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 18566
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 1:16:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Beers tonight, yay.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 18567
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 1:16:48 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Speaking of which, is it just me, or does Pointless seem a bit dumbed down these days - I mean, picture rounds?

I too, have thought this.

The Chase, however, can sod off.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 18568
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 1:30:48 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I need to stop reading Cracked.com whilst I'm at work.

Stifling laughter after reading paragraphs like this

quote:

From 1972-1982, Francis Ford Coppola was not only at the top of his game, he was at the top of anyone's game. Ever. Between The Godfather, The Godfather, Part II and Apocalypse Now, Coppola's films had won so many Oscars that he could smelt them all down to make the most critically acclaimed suit of armor in all the land.

is going to cost me my job eventually.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 18569
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/2/2012 2:52:00 PM   
matty_b

I'm feeling incredibly anti-social right now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 18570
Page:   <<   < prev  617 618 [619] 620 621   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  617 618 [619] 620 621   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI