Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Homicide: Life on the streets

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Homicide: Life on the streets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Homicide: Life on the streets - 31/5/2007 2:57:40 PM   
MartinBlank76

After manys a long time debating whether to order homicide life on the streets on region 1, it has finally popped up on region 2 and I have duitfully bought it. Does anyone know of any planned releases for the other seasons? All the old memories have come flooding back and I want more! Also I have heard that the episodes on the region 2 box set are out of order. Is this the case and if so what is the correct order? I have to admit I didnt notice anything out of place while watching it.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.
Post #: 1
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 31/5/2007 7:31:25 PM   
elab49

Check IMDB. Looking at it is matches the listing so unless that doesn't match the DVD I'm not sure what they're on about. Unless it is odd because it does have season 2 but doesn't disclose it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 2
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 26/1/2009 5:29:54 PM   
moontheloon

After rewatching the wire I was thinking of picking this show up, but I am a little worried of being disappointed and expecting too much? Just how good is it? In general? worth buying?

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

Post #: 3
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 26/1/2009 5:40:22 PM   
El Becks

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

After rewatching the wire I was thinking of picking this show up, but I am a little worried of being disappointed and expecting too much? Just how good is it? In general? worth buying?

The Wire is my favourite but I do really like Homicide ...  If you are looking for another show where the edges are blurred between the Police being good and bad, you may prefer The Shield, which is excellent. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 4
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 26/1/2009 5:47:00 PM   
moontheloon

I watched the first series of the shield, I enjoyed it, should really check out the others too... hmm, well so far positive things about Homocide seem to be all I am reading so I may give both a shot at some point soon!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 5
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 26/1/2009 5:51:21 PM   
El Becks

quote:

I watched the first series of the shield, I enjoyed it, should really check out the others too... hmm, well so far positive things about Homocide seem to be all I am reading so I may give both a shot at some point soon!

Unfortunately, very little, if anything, will ever match The Wire; all other "crime" shows have been a bit spoiled by the utter brilliance of The Wire.

< Message edited by El Becks -- 26/1/2009 5:52:55 PM >

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

Post #: 6
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 26/1/2009 7:54:07 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Becks

quote:

Unfortunately, very little, if anything, will ever match The Wire;all other "crime" shows have been a bitspoiled bythe utterbrilliance of The Wire.

That's kinda why I was thinking about Homocide, as it has similar source material and If I remember right David Simon did work on some of the later series, so perhaps it could be kinda like methadone to the wire's heroin.

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 7
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 26/1/2009 9:12:25 PM   
elab49

FOr many, Homicide was pretty near the top of the poll before The Wire arrived.

That is why there are many of us not remotely surprised by Melissa Leo's Oscar nomination.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 8
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 26/1/2009 10:12:26 PM   
moontheloon

Just picked up the first season (The First two really, as season 2 was something like 4 episodes long... ) for 15 off of ebay, should be here within a week apparently. I'm looking forward to it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 26/1/2009 10:19:13 PM   
MartinBlank76

A wise move...homicide is my favourite ever cop show. I love the characters and the actors nail them to a tee.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

Post #: 10
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 30/1/2009 11:31:20 PM   
Dave B

Does anyone know if the book, in which this is based on, is any good?

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

Post #: 11
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 24/7/2011 1:03:18 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

An underrated show. The chap over at Left Field Cinema has two 20 minute podcasts on why it's worth your time. The second part is a little spoilery, mind. Clearly some network interference going on. If memory serves, I read another review saying that the more the show's lighting changed the more the series dropped in quality. If you want to get very far away from CSI et al give this a go.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 12
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 24/7/2011 6:47:08 PM   
Saltire

The first few seasons of Homicide were superb - gritty, down-to-Earth and gripping, plus it had John Munch!! The interrogations were brilliant, especially the one with Moses Gunn in a cameo before his demise. After that I felt it tailed off and become more predictable and less powerful. However, overall a very good series. 

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 13
RE: Homicide: Life on the streets - 24/7/2011 7:18:03 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

That's the one thing I don't really get, the appreciation for Munch.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Homicide: Life on the streets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI