Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 10:46:23 AM   
Gizmo 76

Intresting, no shooting you down, everyone is different

For me Bioshock is the first game in ages where I didn't actually ever want to turn it off, and once I did, I wanted to get back to it and play some more...Whereas the Darkness which I'm going to finish soon , really lost me at the War section, and even once I was passed that it has struggled to keep me interested.

Both games definitely started better than they finished, the first few hours odd on Bioshock where just superb stuff imo.

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 241
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 11:32:35 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizmo 76

Intresting, no shooting you down, everyone is different

For me Bioshock is the first game in ages where I didn't actually ever want to turn it off, and once I did, I wanted to get back to it and play some more...Whereas the Darkness which I'm going to finish soon , really lost me at the War section, and even once I was passed that it has struggled to keep me interested.

Both games definitely started better than they finished, the first few hours odd on Bioshock where just superb stuff imo.

Agreed about The Darkness WWI sections, although I had no trouble what so ever getting back into the groove after them, if anything it just made me appreciate the NY levels even more. I actually thought Bioshock was at it's strongest during the gardens and Cohen's masterpiece missions, before and after that (whilst still pretty good) didn't hold my attention quite as well.

My head tells me Bioshock is the better game, for numerous seemingly obvious reasons, it's more consistant, offers more of a challenge, has a far more in depth power/weapon upgrade system and so forth etc, etc. For the few hours where The Darkness was firing on all cylinders though, it's the game I'm most glad I played, it's hard to explain. Same goes for Condemned, I'll be the first to admit that without that narrative or atmosphere it would probably be the most repetitive bag of wank going, but there's just something about it that grabbed me.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 7/9/2007 11:38:52 AM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 242
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 11:44:18 AM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

Jesus loves me yes i know, because the bible told me so.

Don't be a slow poke Mr B.

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 243
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 12:37:53 PM   
James2183

I am hoping this game is a slow burner and gets better because although I am enjoying playing it, I don't feel like I am enjoying it enough to warrant the reviews it has been given. I have no idea how far into the game I am, but I have currently arrived at the fishers market and had all my weapons taken from me.

I guess the reason I say that I should be enjoying it more is because I picked up Half Life 2 recently (as most of you know) and found myself trying to play the game everytime I had some spare time on my hands. Heck, there were even times I was playing it before work and found myself loving nearly every minute of it. This hasn't happened with Bioshock yet. I installed it Sunday night and since then have played it three times. At the moment it is not the type of game that makes me go "I need to play this game again, right now!". Hopefully it ends up becoming that, but at the moment it is merely a game I can pass the time with now and then.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 244
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 1:11:48 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

I am hoping this game is a slow burner and gets better because although I am enjoying playing it, I don't feel like I am enjoying it enough to warrant the reviews it has been given. I have no idea how far into the game I am, but I have currently arrived at the fishers market and had all my weapons taken from me.

I must admit I'm starting to agree with you. I've just got past the Farmers market. Even the Rosies are easy to take down now.

It's still good but not as good as I hoped.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 245
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 1:31:15 PM   
James2183

For the most part I have left the Rosie's because all they do is give you cash and waste your ammo for when you find the Big Daddies. 4 or 5 prox mines and a few armour piercing rounds seem to do the job just fine on them which has eased their killings.

But yes, as of yet I have not experienced anything that would make it something that would be granted a 10/10. A solid shooter, but not a masterpiece.

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 246
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 1:39:43 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

For the most part I have left the Rosie's because all they do is give you cash and waste your ammo for when you find the Big Daddies.

Rosie's are big daddies

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 247
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 1:44:42 PM   
James2183

I know, but they don't have the little girls with them 

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 248
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 1:46:56 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

They do if you follow them, they'll walk up to a pipe, bash on it and a little sister will crawl out.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 7/9/2007 1:48:20 PM >

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 249
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 1:55:15 PM   
James2183

Ah right, cool. Didn't know that. 

Post #: 250
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 2:45:59 PM   
krudler

quote:

I know, but they don't have the little girls with them 

um.yes,they do you fight more of them than big daddies so youre losing a shitload of adam if you ignore them

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 251
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 3:00:58 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

They do if you follow them, they'll walk up to a pipe, bash on it and a little sister will crawl out.

Isn't there a limited number per level? I often see Big Daddies wandering around on their own after I harvest the little sisters.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 252
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 4:35:46 PM   
Yeti

• I started my life with a single absolute: that the world was mine to shape in the image of my highest values and never to be given up to a lesser standard, no matter how long or hard the struggle.
  • The view that man was ever to be drawn by some vision of the unattainable shining ahead, doomed ever to aspire, but not to achieve. My life and my values could not bring me to that, I had never found beauty in longing for the impossible and had never found the possible to be beyond my reach.
  • I take no pride in hopeless longing; I wouldnt hold a stillborn aspiration. Id want to have it, to make it, to live it.
  • I never wondered whether some mysterious omnipotence had favored me with some unknowable talent to achieve the things I wanted.
  • I do not think that tragedy is our natural fate and I do not live in chronic dread of disaster. I do not expect disaster until I have specific reason to expect itand when I encounter it, I am free to fight it. It is not happiness, but suffering that I consider unnatural. It is not success, but calamity that I regard as the abnormal exception in human life.
  • Every form of happiness is one, every desire is driven by the same motorby our love for a single value, for the highest potentiality of our own existenceand every achievement is an expression of it. No ones happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.
  • There is no meaning in motors or factories or trains, that their only meaning is in mans enjoyment of his life, which they servedand that my swelling admiration at the sight of an achievement was for the man from whom it came, for the power and the radiant vision within him which had seen the earth as a place of enjoyment and had known that the work of achieving ones happiness was the purpose, the sanction and the meaning of life.
  • Every man builds his world in his own image; he has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice. If he abdicates his power, he abdicates the status of man, and the grinding chaos of the irrational is what he achieves as his sphere of existenceby his own choice. Whoever preserves a single thought uncorrupted by any concession to the will of others, whoever brings into reality a match stick or a patch of garden made in the image of his thought he, an to that extent, is a man and that extent is the sole measure of his virtue.
  • If you fail, as men have failed in their quest for a vision that should have been possible, yet has remained forever beyond their reachif, like them, you come to think that ones highest values are not to be attained and ones greatest vision is not to be made real dont damn this earth, as they did, dont damn existence.
  • What is Morality?
  • Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.
  • Joy is the goal of existence, and joy is not to be stumbled upon, but to be achieved, and the act of treason is to let its vision drown in the swamp of the moments torture.
  • Yet these had been her starsshe thought, looking down at the lights of a town, like a handful of gold coins flung upon the prairie, the brightly violent lights fed by an electric current, these had been her goal, her beacon, the aspiration drawing her upon her upward course. That which others claimed to feel at the sight of the starsstars safely distant by millions of years and thus imposing no obligation to act, but serving as the tinsel of futilityshe had felt at the sight of electric bulbs lighting the streets of a town. It was this earth below that had been the height she wanted to reach.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 253
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 4:38:21 PM   
Yeti

Etc. You should all read the book.

Ps. Look under the picture of chappy and the showgirl in the "Would You Kindly?" bit at the end.

That's YOU that is.

Still prefer the Darkness. Dude rocks.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 254
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 5:03:13 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

Isn't there a limited number per level? I often see Big Daddies wandering around on their own after I harvest the little sisters.

theres a set amoutn of sisters,press start and itll show how many on the bottom of the screen, but once you harvest them the big daddies still wander around on the same set pattern

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 255
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 5:25:33 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

theres a set amoutn of sisters,press start and itll show how many on the bottom of the screen, but once you harvest them the big daddies still wander around on the same set pattern

Yeah theres an unlimited number of big daddies as they respawn, but there's a set limit of little sisters so if a little sister disappears while you're in the middle of a fight with a big daddy, you may aswell finish killing him and just wait until you find another big daddy with another little sister or for one to go and get a little sister out of a pipe.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 256
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 7:26:31 PM   
MBeard

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy
Question for those on the second run through, does the game keep track of your stats on a second play-through or am I actually going to have to invent 100 items as opposed to the remaining number from my previous go?

I second this? Any ideas?

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 257
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/9/2007 7:29:09 PM   
target

You have to do it again, unless you backtrack from a previous save.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 258
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 8/9/2007 10:42:06 PM   
musewitch

quote:

I guess the reason I say that I should be enjoying it more is because I picked up Half Life 2 recently (as most of you know) and found myself trying to play the game everytime I had some spare time on my hands. Heck, there were even times I was playing it before work and found myself loving nearly every minute of it. This hasn't happened with Bioshock yet. I installed it Sunday night and since then have played it three times. At the moment it is not the type of game that makes me go "I need to play this game again, right now!". Hopefully it ends up becoming that, but at the moment it is merely a game I can pass the time with now and then.

I've been playing again for a few hours today and I feel exactly the same.  I'm back on Oblivion again now as it just doesn't seem to be grabbing me. 

Can't look Can't look

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 259
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 10/9/2007 9:48:06 AM   
Hooch0959

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

Jesus loves me yes i know, because the bible told me so.

Don't be a slow poke Mr B.

Angels don't wait for slow pokes

Played it through twice now, loved every second of it, easily one of the best games I've played on the 360, the only down point is I found the hacking mini game so tedious towards the end

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 260
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 10/9/2007 12:40:36 PM   
belluccisbra

I have to admit i dont think this game has good as its made out to be, sure its enjoyable but a 10/10 game it isn't.My main problem is with the resurection points mean theres no point trying to stay alive at times- an  alarms going off your being attacked- just allow your self to die and respawn in a safer area why waste medkits, ammo etc when dying is an easier option?

Exterminate all rational thought

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 261
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 10/9/2007 12:57:28 PM   
Peter Griffin

Brilliant game, played through it on each difficulty setting & got all achievements.Does anyone know if any extra achievements will be coming out for it because if not i'm trading it in.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 262
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 11/9/2007 1:29:41 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: musewitch
I've been playing again for a few hours today and I feel exactly the same.  I'm back on Oblivion again now as it just doesn't seem to be grabbing me. 

Well, I have had parts of the weekend and yesterday to get some more game time in on it and as of yet have not even attempted to try and play it.

I guess that kind of shows you what I think of the game now.

(in reply to musewitch)
Post #: 263
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 11/9/2007 4:07:00 PM   
BigKovacs

Got to Arcadia, the forest section so far and Im loving it, the shoot outs are great and can be played very tactically. The graphics and art direction are superb as is the voice acting and the plot so far (although the plot seems strikingly like System Shock 2, Im only partially through it so time will tell.)

Bioshock is a great game so far but its no Half-Life 2.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 264
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 11/9/2007 4:10:36 PM   
krudler

finished it on medium then hard, now playing it on easy and im harvesting every LS in the game, its so much more fun on easy, killing people with whiskey bottles and their own hats, heres a tip, light a gas puddle on fire, kill someone, use telekenesis to pick up their body,float it over the fire,ignite it, chuck in to group of baddies standing around explosive barrels, comedy death fun!

quote:

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 265
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 11/9/2007 4:45:12 PM   
BigKovacs

A question for the chaps that have finished it a few times, how many endings are there? one good and one evil? (Please be wary of spoilers, Im only quater of the way through my first play), cheers.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 266
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 11/9/2007 11:04:57 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

A question for the chaps that have finished it a few times, how many endings are there? one good and one evil? (Please be wary of spoilers, Im only quater of the way through my first play), cheers.

there are only two endings, regardless of whatever level you play it at and the ending is dictated by your decision to rescue or harvest.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 267
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 12/9/2007 12:53:09 PM   
belluccisbra

Slightly of topic but on later levels is anyone experienceing some pretty bad slow down?

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 268
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 12/9/2007 1:00:40 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: belluccisbra

Slightly of topic but on later levels is anyone experienceing some pretty bad slow down?

PC or 360?

360 version was pretty much smooth sailing 99.9% of the time, for me at least.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 269
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 12/9/2007 1:02:23 PM   
belluccisbra

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI