Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 17/3/2009 10:21:08 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

is anyone able to kindly tell me how the difficulty setting alters achievements in this game please? i can only see an achievement for completing the game on the hardest difficulty. Does it make any difference achievement wise between easy and medium?

No you may as well finish it on easy as medium. However this game only really comes into its own on hard, short of ammo and health it quite simply is the best game ever released on the 360.  It's far too easy on anything but hard and you simply won't enjoy the game as much as you should. I'm on my playthrough now without the vita chamber,  and as Nath said its a toughie.

One final tip is you are after gamesscore.....SPOILER ALERT.........

Don't kill Sander Cohen after you complete his Masterpiece.  If you do you cannot access his private quarters later on.  You get an achievement for getting in here but it also has a plasmid, an audio diary, a tonic  and a Weapons upgrade station stopping you getting about 140GS.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 17/3/2009 10:33:27 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 331
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 17/3/2009 2:06:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

well the reason i posted that is because i borowed the game, completed it on easy and loved it. I bought the game and am playing it on medium and am frustratingly hard. in my defence i really don't feel like i'm 'playing' a game much if i'm dying all the time. Each Big Daddy kills me about 3 or 4 times before i kill it. It just feels pointless playing it on a difficulty setting that is too hard for my current gaming skill.

So you advise i let Cohen live? Isn't he a 'boss' though? Does the game not demand i kill him?

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 332
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 17/3/2009 2:22:19 PM   
gingerdaniel

From what i can remember, Cohen just stands there after you've filled his portrait gallery. If you kill him, you'll gain the key to his shiny lockbox thing which'll give you a plasmid or something, you'll also be able to take a photo of his corpse gaining an achievement.
As mentioned above by Bob, this does prevent getting achievements later, so basically you'll have to play it a couple of times anyway!

I have techniques of taking down the big daddies which seem to work quite effectively, i usually don't die now (ok, maybe once).
1. Make sure you take photos of him to gain damage benefits against him.
2. Lay out some proximity mines and lead a path from you to him. Try and give yourself some cover to ensure he'll move towards you and set off the mines.
3. Then i set him alight, shoot with the machine gun/grenade launcher from a distance (armour piercing rounds do the best), if he chucks grenades just move (if you use telekinesis he'll be charging at you before you can throw it back)
4. As he charges at you, take more photos, you'll get bonuses for action shots
5. If he's quite close, take the shotgun with exploding buck and attack!
6. If you find yourself in a corner, freeze him and move around and once you're clear start shooting again.
7. Generally, keep sidestepping, his charges will miss and he wont be shooting you during that time.

Later on in the game, the hypnotise big daddy plasmid and other one that makes enemies shoot each other are pretty helpful, especially when on hard. It'll take a little bit of health off him!

Do you run? Check THIS out

Post #: 333
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 17/3/2009 2:29:49 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

well the reason i posted that is because i borowed the game, completed it on easy and loved it. I bought the game and am playing it on medium and am frustratingly hard. in my defence i really don't feel like i'm 'playing' a game much if i'm dying all the time. Each Big Daddy kills me about 3 or 4 times before i kill it. It just feels pointless playing it on a difficulty setting that is too hard for my current gaming skill.

So you advise i let Cohen live? Isn't he a 'boss' though? Does the game not demand i kill him?

Let him live.  You get a chance to do him over later and get the key to his lockbox.  Oh, and when you do spank him with your trusty wrench (In-your-endo...), make sure you get a picture of his corpse... nudge, nudge...

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

Post #: 334
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 17/3/2009 3:00:52 PM   
impqueen

I loved playing BioShock, I was a total bastard throughout on my first go, harvesting left right and centre. I think I even preferred the ending to the “happy” version I got second time around, but then I am a bleak minded person.

I'm looking forward to Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams I hope it is as much fun to play, as for the proposed film please god no, not Verbinski! 

Yes, always.

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 335
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 17/3/2009 11:57:07 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Don't kill Sander Cohen after you complete his Masterpiece.  If you do you cannot access his private quarters later on.  You get an achievement for getting in here but it also has a plasmid, an audio diary, a tonic  and a Weapons upgrade station stopping you getting about 140GS.

Huh? What Private quarters?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 336
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 9:45:26 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

SPOILERS ....................

When you get to Olympus Heights after you leave the Little Sisters Nursery you can enter various appartments. Sander Cohen's appartment is locked if you killed him earlier. If not he is dancing with a splicer and talks to you before buggering off and leaving you to deal with them.
Inside there is a Power to the People machine and Cohen will find you at which point you have to kill him, and take his photo for the Irony achievement.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 18/3/2009 9:46:27 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 337
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 10:18:27 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

When you get to Olympus Heights after you leave the Little Sisters Nursery you can enter various appartments. Sander Cohen's appartment is locked if you killed him earlier. If not he is dancing with a splicer and talks to you before buggering off and leaving you to deal with them.
Inside there is a Power to the People machine and Cohen will find you at which point you have to kill him, and take his photo for the Irony achievement.

is this affected at all by harvesting rather than releasing the little sisters? I'm playing through and harvesting this time round, whereas on my first play through i saved them. I'm not sure if you still go to the nursery if you're harvesting?

Post #: 338
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 10:35:56 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

is this affected at all by harvesting rather than releasing the little sisters? I'm playing through and harvesting this time round, whereas on my first play through i saved them. I'm not sure if you still go to the nursery if you're harvesting?

No it isn't.   This section isn't in the Nursery but after it.  This section isn't affected by the role choices, however you cannot get all the achivements if you don't save the sisters.  There are plasmids and kits that you only get from Tenenbaum

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 339
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 10:41:06 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

No it isn't.   This section isn't in the Nursery but after it.  This section isn't affected by the role choices, however you cannot get all the achivements if you don't save the sisters.  There are plasmids and kits that you only get from Tenenbaum

well ive already finished the game saving them, so i should already have those achievements i guess. I'm only just getting ninto this achievements thing in general so have been trawling through what i currently have to see what ones i need and can realistically get.

Post #: 340
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 10:44:07 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

well ive already finished the game saving them, so i should already have those achievements i guess. I'm only just getting ninto this achievements thing in general so have been trawling through what i currently have to see what ones i need and can realistically get.

You won't be able to get all the plasmids and toolkits achievement but it won't spoil the game.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 341
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 10:48:35 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

You won't be able to get all the plasmids and toolkits achievement but it won't spoil the game.

if i harvest or save? I mean ive already played it through one way, so surely doing it the other way this time will cover all bases?

Post #: 342
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 10:50:28 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

nope I think you need to get them all in a single game.  Therefore only playing as a "good guy" would enable this.

Edit

Actually just had a thought, are you playing with the new DLC?  This contains new plasmids and tonics.  You only need 53 not all, so you should in theory now be able to get this achievement not matter how you play the game.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 18/3/2009 10:56:17 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 343
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 10:51:16 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

oh im with you, so let cohen survive AND save the little sisters?

i killed cohen and saved the sisters first time round.

Post #: 344
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 11:40:38 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Me too.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 345
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 11:59:03 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers for that mate. I already got the irony achievement because I killed him straight after the completing his masterpiece.

Post #: 346
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 12:58:59 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

FB yeah i downloaded the plasmids/ tonics content recently, so that might make a difference then!

Post #: 347
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 2:01:20 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

really stupid question here. Especially considering that ive played through the game once already!

How do i unlock more slots for things? To i buy them, or do i get them wsith adam? I just cant remember! The machines that sell stuff dont seem to have the purchase of additional slots for tonics etc available. Or is it just the case they theyre not that available early on and i have to pick and choose which ones i equip?

Post #: 348
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 18/3/2009 2:41:38 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Yeah you buy them with Adam.

I'm on my hard no vita game and I've got to decide if to save or harvest. 

Hmmmm decsions decsions.

EDIT.

Finished,  god that was hard, but what a brilliant, brilliant game.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 31/3/2009 10:26:46 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 349
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 4/4/2009 9:36:46 PM   
losthighway

I've just finished The Darkness and was considering getting Bioshock as my next game, however having read some of the comments on here, would it be a bit too much of a FPS overload to go straight into this after TD? I'll be honest, FPS view tends to give me motion sickness, which is one of the reasons I found Darkness such a chore at times. I tend to prefer games where I can actually see the character I'm playing as... So, is Bioshock worth getting? Is it very similar to TD? And does it live up to the hype?

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 350
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 6/4/2009 9:57:58 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

I've just finished The Darkness and was considering getting Bioshock as my next game, however having read some of the comments on here, would it be a bit too much of a FPS overload to go straight into this after TD? I'll be honest, FPS view tends to give me motion sickness, which is one of the reasons I found Darkness such a chore at times. I tend to prefer games where I can actually see the character I'm playing as... So, is Bioshock worth getting? Is it very similar to TD? And does it live up to the hype?

Is it worth getting?  Yes  similar to the darkness No.   Live upto the hype?  Yes.

You have to play it on HARD though.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 351
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 6/4/2009 10:58:35 PM   
vhypahustla86

The game is great, however it pretty much is a one play through, it can be extremely frustrating at times and big daddy's can be tough. However think trip wire and all is ok! As far as FPS's go this certainly falls under the category but you tend to forget this because it is wonderfully crafted. Storyline, backgrounds, sound effects, action ans so forth, personally thought on one ending was like (Is that it? - took 13 hours to get this far and pah!) however an enjoyable experience - wasn't worth full price, maybe a rental or less than £15 but thats just my opinion.

Post #: 352
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/4/2009 9:18:30 AM   
losthighway

Got it brand new from my local Blockbuster yesterday for £7.99! Played on it for half hour last night and very impressed. It's so smooth and easy to use the weapons, etc... and agreed not at all like The Darkness! Plus, saw my first big daddy at work and fuck me, they are scary mothers! I'm going through on Easy as i'm a wimp and indeed it is very easy so far, and dare I say it quite linear which was one of my major complaints about Jericho (another recent purchase)... main difference here - Bioshock is actually good!

(in reply to vhypahustla86)
Post #: 353
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/4/2009 9:45:36 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Got it brand new from my local Blockbuster yesterday for £7.99! Played on it for half hour last night and very impressed. It's so smooth and easy to use the weapons, etc... and agreed not at all like The Darkness! Plus, saw my first big daddy at work and fuck me, they are scary mothers! I'm going through on Easy as i'm a wimp and indeed it is very easy so far, and dare I say it quite linear which was one of my major complaints about Jericho (another recent purchase)... main difference here - Bioshock is actually good!

Seriously you won't get the most out of the game going through on Easy,  at least try Medium.    On Easy the Big Daddy's are easy to take down and the splicers are too quick to kill.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 354
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 7/4/2009 10:17:54 AM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

quote:

Seriously you won't get the most out of the game going through on Easy,  at least try Medium.    On Easy the Big Daddy's are easy to take down and the splicers are too quick to kill.

Yeah, also, harvesting/saving the girls makes it easier/harder as you go through too, you don't get as much ADAM from saving them, but keep an eye out for the 'gifts' if you do.

I might start it on hard.....

Do you run? Check THIS out

Post #: 355
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 20/4/2009 10:02:24 AM   
Vadersville

Damn, after going through this three or four times and still not getting the Tonic and Historian achievements, I borrowed a mate's official strategy guide to collect them all and still didn't get the achievements!
A couple things caught my attention though. In Arcadia on the way to the Farmer's market there's supposed to be two audio diaries according to the guide. Well I found the one on the stairs but where the other one is, I found only a safe. I searched the whole area! The safe isn't even mentioned in the guide. In fact I found quite a few safes not mentioned in the guide. Also, in the level where you become a Big Daddy I found an audio diary that isn't in the guide. How many more are there that I'm missing!? Grrr! Those achievements will be mine....

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 356
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 20/4/2009 11:20:00 PM   
Proudfoot

Christ I love this game.

Went through it three times on my 360, that was a while ago... And now that I've got a PS3, I sure feel like taking another trip under water, in a different vessel. I don't think there'll be much difference, but any excuse is a decent excuse when it comes to Rapture.

It really is a fun world, and interesting visual experience, peculiar characters and a strong central idea...

Yeah, I'm gonna get my sweaty hands on this one again.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

Post #: 357
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 21/4/2009 9:53:16 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Damn, after going through this three or four times and still not getting the Tonic and Historian achievements, I borrowed a mate's official strategy guide to collect them all and still didn't get the achievements!
A couple things caught my attention though. In Arcadia on the way to the Farmer's market there's supposed to be two audio diaries according to the guide. Well I found the one on the stairs but where the other one is, I found only a safe. I searched the whole area! The safe isn't even mentioned in the guide. In fact I found quite a few safes not mentioned in the guide. Also, in the level where you become a Big Daddy I found an audio diary that isn't in the guide. How many more are there that I'm missing!? Grrr! Those achievements will be mine....

Arcadia

Seeing Ghosts (McDonagh): To the left of the foot brige in the Tea Garden at the beginning of the area

Big Night Out (Dieter Sonnekalb): In the Arcadia Glens next to a bench

Mass Producing ADAM (Tenenbaum): Arcadia Glens in front of the chair next to the large rock

Arcadia Closed (Langford): Next to the Gene Bank at the top of the stairs on the way to the Rapture Metro

The Market is Patient (Andrew Ryan): Waterfall Grotto on a bench near the U-Invent Machine

Offer a Better Product (Andrew Ryan): Bottom level of Waterfall Grotto

Early Tests Promising (Langford): Bottom level of Waterfall Grotto on crate

Heroes and Criminals (Diane McClintock): Waterfall Grotto inside the door that needs Electric Bolt to open

Shouldn't Have Come (Mariska Lutz): Lower Rolling Hills under the sign just after the turret

The Saturnine (Langford): After getting the Rose mission a Splicer appears and moves into a hidden passage the diary is at the entrance

What Won't They Steal? (Langford): In the Lanford Research Lab behind the desk with the tonic

Teaching an Old Hound (Lanford): on the desk in the room after Langford says she has the turrets hacked

The Lazarus Vector (Langford): Search Langford's body after she is poisoned

Lazarus Vector Formula (Lanford): in the safe behind the Botanical Illustation in Lanford's office

Arcadia and Oxygen (Langford): Inside the tree farm near the entrance

Maternal Instinct (Tenenbaum): Just inside the Farmer's Market right after the safe

The Great Chain (Andrew Ryan): On a bench to the right in the room with the Bathysphere in the Metro Station

Be aware that that the diaries in Ryans Office cannot be collected once you've left that area.  These are The Vita Chamber, Mind Control Test and Baby Status.  If you have missed these you will have to start again.  The same goes for New Years Eve Alone and Hole in the Wall in the Medical Pavilion.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 358
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 21/4/2009 10:02:55 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

Be aware that that the diaries in Ryans Office cannot be collected once you've left that area.  These are The Vita Chamber, Mind Control Test and Baby Status.  If you have missed these you will have to start again.  The same goes for New Years Eve Alone and Hole in the Wall in the Medical Pavilion.

Cheers Bob. I found the other one missing off the guide. It was in the strip club on the bar. Easy to spot really but I wasn't looking for it. Also found that the tonic I was missing was Extra Nutrition 1, I had 2 and 3 but not the first one. I'm confused though, because there's only two achievements left, and the total of their points with the ones I've already got is 1000 yet it says theres a possible 1100, it also says theres 51 achievements but theres only 50 listed...

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 21/4/2009 10:04:01 AM >

Post #: 359
RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture - 21/4/2009 10:23:28 AM   
losthighway

Seem to have a hit a bit of a brickwall with this one. I was pottering through quite happily a few days ago and now my interest for it has just disappeared. I think it's because it is so similar in gameplay style to The Darkness (the last game I played); FPS wander down corridor, loading screen, wander down second half of corridor, shoot a few things, etc, etc... Or maybe I just need a break from the XBOX... Hmmm, whatever it is I'm sure I'll return to it again.

Also, been keeping an eye out for any more movie news... found nothing since the director announcement.

Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Bioshock- Welcome To Rapture Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI