Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: A Song of Ice and Fire Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 24/4/2011 7:35:15 PM   
SWOTBM

Currently reading Game of Thrones after watching the first episode of the TV series, I thought that reading the book would help with some of the confusion I had about the characters.  I was wrong   On the one had I like the increased detail about the characters, but it feels like there are so many more named characters in the book (helpful that there is an appendix with a character guide).  Style takes a bit of getting used to as well I found, not too bad so far. 

Also, could some give me a yes/no answer (I dont want spoilers ) as to whether or not the events/people/places that have been mentioned in passing are expanded upon: e.g. Doom of Valyria, the Others, Seven Kingdoms etc.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 91
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 24/4/2011 9:05:32 PM   
pedros

Yes of sorts to all of them. Some more than others. The Others come into it a bit more in the third book, and I'm assuming that they are the ice of the title of the series, and the fire is probably something introduced in the second book, all to do with the gods.

Though having read other theories on the internet this doesn't seem to be a prevailing view. Anyone else who's read the whole series have any views of this? (using spoiler tags and invisotext obviously for all the new fans)

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 92
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 24/4/2011 9:29:53 PM   
SWOTBM

That's good, I was just thinking he had left it open on purpose for a possible prequel series....

Have you read the books then?  Or just watched watched the TV series? 

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 93
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 24/4/2011 10:18:12 PM   
pedros

Yeah I read the books. About 4 years ago, purely due to this thread actually. Just in the middle of re-reading them again for the third time, am about halfway through Feast for Crows in preparation for the new one come July.

There is so much history and detail that I am still missing though that it's helpful to go to one of the ASOIAF wiki's that are about, but obviously you can only do that when you've read all the books to date as you're bound to come across major spoilers.

Actaully when I was reading AFFC before I was thinking about how I mentally pictured some of the characters, and for some reason I always pictures Tyrion as this guy from Asterix:

No idea why. Same with Nimble Dick from Feast, who for some bizarre reason I still picture as Handsome Pete from the Simpsons:

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 94
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 27/4/2011 9:04:29 PM   
mafyou

I finished reading A Game Of Thrones for the second time last night - I had forgotten so much! I started re-reading the series in preparation for A Dance With Dragons and the new series. 2011 is turning out to be a great years for fans of ASOIAF.

Anyway, it would seem that ADWD really is finished: http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2011/04/27/is-a-dance-with-dragons-finally-done.aspx

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 95
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 4/5/2011 5:31:00 PM   
Rob

Spoilers for Storm of Swords:

About a quarter of the way through Storm of Swords and still loving it. Sansa is still probably the least interesting POV character for me but I'm loving the Jon, Arya and Tyrion sections as ever. Something bad needs to happen to Tywin Lannister...he's a utter sh*t. I quite like the fact that Jamie is more heavily involved this time around and Martin is doing a good job of making him more three dimensional.

Spoilers for A Clash of Kings

Really liked how this one ended. It had a real sense of Empire Strikes Back about it. Most of the sympathetic characters were on the run, presumed dead or severely injured.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 96
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/5/2011 12:51:39 PM   
Drew_231

"""Slight Spoilers for the first Book"""

So I have just finished the first book, and while I did enjoy it, I find with these long fantasy series that I only get a proper grip on it from around the middle of the second book.

Thing is, Im not sure I want to invest in a series which just seems to be a group of noble characters (the Starks) getting continuasly f.... over by everyone else. I know the focus is more on shades of grey, and obviously there needs to be tension and drama throughout the novels, but I dont know if I want to read five more books with Joffery having Sansa beaten up infront of him

I will read the second one though, just as soon as I can find a copy

< Message edited by Drew_231 -- 10/5/2011 12:52:27 PM >

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 97
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/5/2011 2:10:08 PM   
Timon

Just finished a Storm of Swords. My only gripe is throughout the entire Bran and co haven't really done much except walk around the woods.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 98
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 17/5/2011 9:51:15 AM   
Rob

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Just in case there were any more thoughts of further delays!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 99
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 17/5/2011 9:54:44 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I finished a Clash of Kings on the train home last night.  Going to fit in a Jeffrey Deaver book before I start Storm of Swords (think I am worried about getting to the end of the series too soon )

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 100
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 17/5/2011 10:50:42 AM   
Rob

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm halfway through Storm of Swords and I'm going to have a break before reading a Feast for Crows and a Dance with Dragons. I'm trying to pad it out as much as I can as the inevitable delay after a Dance with Dragons is going to be torturous.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 101
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 31/5/2011 1:48:59 PM   
Rob

Massive spoilers from Storm Of Swords

WTF!!!! Just got to the "Red Wedding"...I didn't see that coming. I was really beginning to like Robb and was totally shocked by the developments. Unfortunately I had to go online to check that he really was gone and subsequently have read an awful lot of spoilers for this book and the next. However, if anything the spoilers I've read have made me want to get through the books even faster so I'll be going straight into a Feast for Crows after this. The Starks have really been put through the wringer by Martin and I hope that they get some form of payback later in the the series.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 102
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 31/5/2011 10:45:47 PM   
pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Massive spoilers from Storm Of Swords

WTF!!!! Just got to the "Red Wedding"...I didn't see that coming. I was really beginning to like Robb and was totally shocked by the developments. Unfortunately I had to go online to check that he really was gone and subsequently have read an awful lot of spoilers for this book and the next. However, if anything the spoilers I've read have made me want to get through the books even faster so I'll be going straight into a Feast for Crows after this. The Starks have really been put through the wringer by Martin and I hope that they get some form of payback later in the the series.

Same Storm of Swords Spoilers:

Totally dude, I remember I read that one week night - I stayed up till about 3am just so I could read about Arya reuniting with her Catelyn, and then that shit happened! I had to read on to find out what happened with Arya, and then her next chapter ended with the Hound twatting her with an axe - I was devastated! I've never been so gutted about a character in a book before.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 103
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 1/6/2011 1:21:59 PM   
Rob

He's certainly pretty bold in that sense. Also found out who Arstan Whitebeard is as a result of checking out the Red Wedding on the internet. I just started clicking random pages and ending up spoiling everything but still I think that's a great development.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 104
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 2/6/2011 9:31:18 PM   
SWOTBM

SPOILERS FOR GAME OF THRONES:

Just finished reading Game of Thrones and I thought it was a thoroughly engrossing read.  It started off quite slow but once I got into it I couldn't put it down.  The story is very uncompromising, and I was genuinely surprised when they killed off Ned (can't imagine the TV series killing off Sean Bean, would they?).  I loved the way Martin managed to make even the most marginal of characters interesting; e.g. Tyrion's band of outlaw commanders, the lord of that river castle (the Twins?), that monk with the flaming sword and Maester Aemon (his revelation was a real ZOMFGBBQ moment) stand out in particular.  That's not to say the main characters were not interesting, I thought Tyrion and Jon were among the most interesting; and I have a real loathing for Sansa and Catelyn. 

Something that I found a bit frustrating was the lack of a global map.  For sure there was one of the Seven Kingdoms, but they kept on mentioning all these places like Yi Ti, Asshai, Shadowlands, Lys, Vaes Dothrak etc.   It would have been nice to get some sort of wider perspective.  Also, I thought that the story would have benefitted from an official timeframe at the start of each chapter, to often there seemed to be large gaps between characters.  Most of the back story regarding The Others, First Men etc. is kind of expanded on, but I would have liked more detail.  Minor gripes though to be honest. 

So many unanswered questions regarding the characters: Ser Barristan, Syrio, Benjen, Arya.  Although I reckon Benjen is still out there, probably with that Mance Rayder chap, helping him train his forces to take on the others.  The fight with Syrio and the Kingsguard was a true highlight and I really hope he survived.  Ser Barristan being stripped of his knighthood was my favourite moment though, reckon he will have an important part to play in the books to come (which I very much look forward to reading )

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 105
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 3/6/2011 10:31:37 AM   
Rob

Couldn't agree more about the maps. I find these two invaluable:

As for Ned's fate in the TV show I think they HAVE to stick to the book.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 106
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 3/6/2011 10:33:48 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Couldn't agree more, it's a no brainer!

I was constantly flicking back to the maps and studying them, more so in A Clash of Kings.  I like to know where they are going and how far it seems

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 107
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 3/6/2011 1:57:40 PM   
SWOTBM

SPOILERS FOR GAME OF THRONES

quote:

Hmm, I don't know.  Granted I've only read Game of Thrones so I don't know how events unfold, but it seems a big call for a TV producer to make, especially with the way Sean Bean has been portrayed as the main character almost.  Wouldn't be surprised if they tweaked it somewhat. 

Btw, thanks for those maps, the first one especially.  I've already printed them off in preparation for my reading session tonight

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 108
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 3/6/2011 1:59:53 PM   
Hobbitonlass

But it's that act that leads to other stories panning out the way they do so to  tweak it in anyway would just mess too much with the story.  I'd be gutted if they tweaked it.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 109
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/6/2011 2:20:30 PM   
Rob

Well I reckon we'll find out for certain with this weeks episode.

I have to say Storm of Swords is utterly brilliant. I really hope that Martin finishes these quickly (no chance I know) as I'm going to race through Feast for Crows and Dance With Dragons.

Where are you guys up to?

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 110
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 11/6/2011 10:36:31 AM   
SWOTBM

I'm just coming to the end of Clash of Kings, and I have both books of A Storm of Swords already lined up. 

SPOILERS FOR A CLASH OF KINGS:

No let up in the action at all, awesome stuff so far.  At the moment Bran is on the run and I reckon he is going to marry that crannogmen's daughter, they go back south and raise an army to defeat Theon (I really hope Robb cuts his balls off and feeds them to the goats ).  Feel bad for Tyrion, he is innocent in all of this and he has become a bit of a hate figure; hope he doesn't die (would be nice to see him become Warden of the West if Stannis becomes King, which I think he will do).  Oh, forgot about Davos, very interesting new character, straight-talking and seems like a badass.  Still hate Sansa and Catelyn, both are complete wet-blankets and rather useless.  Lost a lot of respect for Jon Snow last night though, I left it where he was supposed to execute that wildling and he let her go, reckon that is going to come back to haunt him.  The thing that I really appreciate is the gradual integration of fantasy elements: Melisandre, the dragons, Arya's assassin, Dany's journey into the warlock HQ, Bran's wolf dreams etc. It feels subtle and low-key, almost kind of believable (in the book's universe if you know what I mean ). 

Also, comparison question with the TV series (didnt want to get shouted at for posting spoilers in there): but Bronn is a sellsword in the books, in the TV series I was under the impression he was a man of the Nights Watch.  If that is the case isn't he a deserter?

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 111
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 11/6/2011 11:33:49 AM   
pedros

No I'm sure Bronn is a sellsword in the tv series - you might be confusing him with Yoren, as Bronn appears when Tyrion and Yoren get to the inn at the crossroads, but we later see Yoren in Kings Landing talking to Ned (and mistaking Arya for a boy), and I assume we will see him again in the next episode (this is the book thread right, so TV spoilers are fair game?)

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 112
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 11/6/2011 1:53:00 PM   
SWOTBM

^^  I assume TV spoilers are fair game, I was considering setting up a comparison thread where people who have read the books could post whatever they wanted.  Anyway, just checked on wikipedia, you are right, Bronn is still a sell-sword.  I thought I remembered Bronn coming down with Tyrion from the Wall, plus he always seemed to wear black

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 113
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 11/6/2011 9:59:19 PM   
SWOTBM

SPOILERS FOR CLASH OF KINGS

Finished reading Clash of Kings and I'm very impressed.  As I said earlier, the action was non-stop, although I did feel it dragged in places (mainly Sansa's chapters) and there was a bit of repetition (especially during the Davos/Sansa/Tyrion chapters in the Battle for Kings Landing).  Still, the characters have developed nicely and as much as I hated Jon for killing Halfhand, I could kind of understand and feel his pain (this will be a very interesting sub-story). 

Seems my predictions were a bit wide of the mark   For what it's worth here are a few more predictions: Osha will march north with Rickon and give him over to Mance Rayder, Arya will go to the Eyrie, Jon will get with the wildling who he spared and probably go native, Robb will rally the troops and march north and defeat the Greyjoys/wildlings and probably kill Jon/Theon as well, and I'm not sure what the Lannisters are going to do. 

So many unanswered questions, even from the first book: Ser Barristan, Syrio Forel (probably dead), Davos, Stannis Baratheon, Benjen Stark, Theon Greyjoy etc.

Just had a quick browse through the start of Storm of Swords and the note on the Chronology was much appreciated.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 114
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 11/6/2011 10:04:02 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I haven't started reading these yet, but I've heard that the UK editions are shorter than the US editions. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 115
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 13/6/2011 1:46:20 PM   
SWOTBM

Who is everyones most hated character?  Mine has got to be Catelyn Stark; she is a selfish, spiteful, hypocritical bitch.  I dislike her even more than the Lannisters, at least they make no apologies for what they are. 

EDIT:  After the second book of Storm of Swords how many books are there left to read?

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 116
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 13/6/2011 2:52:33 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Who is everyones most hated character?  Mine has got to be Catelyn Stark; she is a selfish, spiteful, hypocritical bitch.  I dislike her even more than the Lannisters, at least they make no apologies for what they are. 

Im basing this on the first two books, as I have only read up till then. Cannot find the 1st Storm of Swords anywhere!!!

It seems that Catelyn is a pretty unpopular character, but the interesting thing is I dont think George Martin intended for her to be. I get the sense that he writes tries to write her as an honerable and strong woman, but for some reason she does come across as spiteful and petty (also the scene with Jon in the first book pretty much nailed any sympathy I may have had for her).

The Mountain (not going to try spell his name) is a pretty terrible character, hopefully he will get taken out at some stage, anf Joffery is just unberable.
There are a multitude of characters to hate, which is actually one of the problems I have with the series, theres only so much evil and treachery you can take.

Sansa is pretty useless as well. With everything that has happened to her she still acts like a naive little girl. 'Oh a true Knight would never hurt a lady' You can understand why Ceresi thinks she's such an idiot

< Message edited by Drew_231 -- 13/6/2011 3:28:12 PM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 117
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 14/6/2011 7:22:10 PM   
SWOTBM

Minor Spoilers for Sword of Storms book 1:

Samwell Tarly is an absolute legend, awesome character progression.  Hope he makes it back to the Wall, tells everyone about the Others' weakness, becomes a Maester or something and really shows up his father, that would be sweet justice.  Although having said that he will probably end up getting eaten by a bear or falling off a cliff

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 118
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 14/6/2011 9:32:23 PM   
bobatim

I'm about half way A Game of Thrones, both the book and the series, and quite frankly I'm addicted! The story is brilliant and as a worldbuilder, Martin is a master. My fave characters so far are Tyrion Lannister and Ned Stark. My least favourite are Jon Snow, The Hound and Little Finger.

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 119
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 14/6/2011 11:04:23 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

No I'm sure Bronn is a sellsword in the tv series - you might be confusing him with Yoren, as Bronn appears when Tyrion and Yoren get to the inn at the crossroads, but we later see Yoren in Kings Landing talking to Ned (and mistaking Arya for a boy), and I assume we will see him again in the next episode (this is the book thread right, so TV spoilers are fair game?)

I thought he was playing the whole boy thing a bit loudly for the crowd, didn't think there was any mistake made about who she was. I thought it was more about protecting her from the Lannisters.

That's me that is!

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: A Song of Ice and Fire Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI