Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: A Song of Ice and Fire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 15/6/2009 10:47:24 AM   
BigKovacs

Personally I think you should as I loved the whole series but it depends on how badly the flaws bother you. They're not perfect but still incredibly tight for fantasy.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 61
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 15/6/2009 11:15:59 AM   
Rgirvan44

Martins writting can be pretty bad at times, in partiuclar the sex scenes are somewhat cingeworthy.

However I think the stories itself is very compelling. If you aren't a fan of the chapters darting from person to person then the later books continue this device. I personally quite like it, but agree that you are always left wanting more and sometimes having to wait fifty pages to get back to a plotline.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 62
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 15/6/2009 11:31:34 AM   
BigKovacs

The sex scenes are cringy but well in keeping with the rest of the books. Feast for crows has some very lush moment.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 63
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 15/6/2009 7:35:33 PM   
O_Goncho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

I've tried to not read any of the spoilers above - luckily i have only seen names and that near enough means nothng to me.

Spoilers for the first book might be abound...

In honesty, this has taken me an age just to get through the first 600 pages, about 6 months i think. To be fair, i do an english degree so i do a lot of reading already and i've had exams so i stopped reading for about a month... but coming back it has just made me see a flaw.

It seems so stop and start, at first i liked the different narratives and how they always seemed to end on cliffhangers... but now, and this really annoyed me...

When Robert dies and Ned has called council to overthrow Joffery, we realise that Littlefinger has betrayed Ned with hs dagger to his throat - then it just ends and starts a new chapter - WTF! at last the book was getting somewhere and then perspective changes. I'm now up to the part where Sansa has been asked to write 4 letters to her brothers and mother...

another gripe i have is that Martin has used the same trick twice - where a character wonders and hears something they shouldnt have - where i thought it was good the first time, it seemed Martin simply ran out of an ideas.

I'm going to finish the novel - should i continue to the others?

It is frustrating when you're totally into what's happening with one POV only for it to end, so you have to go back to hearing about the hundred different varieties of cake that Sansa has decided to stuff her boring face with again (spoiler: omg lemon cakes are her favorite, lol!!!)

That said, I don't see how leaving the reader desperate for more can be considered a flaw; that's just good storytelling, in my opinion. Still, if it really bothers you that much I wouldn't recommend carrying on.

< Message edited by O_Goncho -- 15/6/2009 7:38:19 PM >

***My wild and wacky Film Diary 2009***

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 64
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 16/6/2009 10:10:10 AM   
BigKovacs

Haha... those lemon cakes. Can't beam em'.

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 65
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 23/6/2009 12:56:36 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

it's not that i don't like wanting more - it just takes 50 pages to get more... and if i'm honest, only Ned and Jon's story are interesting, with Tyrion close behind - the rest, seem to me, just filler. Only when the other narratives cross the main, as they are to a certain extent doing now, do they become utterly engaging.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 66
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 25/6/2009 1:33:21 PM   
BigKovacs

One of Martin's strengths is that he uses very little filler as so many minor, seemingly pointless things can can major ramifications later on but this is only apparent the more you read. Out of context I can see what you mean Sumin, I still hope you crack on with it though.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 67
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 2/5/2010 10:32:00 PM   
general_potatoface

I recently finished A Feast for Crows, so I'm up to date with it all.

possibly spoilery theories follow

I assume Dany will be getting a Spider and an Imp soon? And it just occurred to me who the Sailor's Wife in Braavos might be (She speaks the Common Tongue, so Westerosi, most likely, she had a true husband a long time ago - Tyrion's little Tysha?)

Who thinks Daenerys has to go back to Valyria at some point?

And then there's Bran and Jon and Stannis and Davos and Melisandre. Where will Bran's greendreams and the Three eyed crow come into everything?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 68
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 19/5/2010 5:28:46 PM   
BigKovacs

Join the club of wild speculation mate. I hope Martin gets his skates on so he can tell us what's what.

(in reply to general_potatoface)
Post #: 69
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/10/2010 12:28:32 AM   
James2183

I've been looking for a new series to read and it's come down to this one and Steven Erikson's Malazan books. Since I want to read a complete story has GRRM written a complete series yet or is all his books still incomplete like The Wheel of Time?

< Message edited by James2183 -- 6/10/2010 9:09:14 AM >

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch
Post #: 70
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/10/2010 12:35:25 AM   
King_Bard

I would highly recommend this series but GRRM seems to be taking forever to complete it.

I think his plan is do seven books and only is on number five at the moment (I may be wrong on this)

< Message edited by King_Bard -- 6/10/2010 12:36:13 AM >

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 71
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/10/2010 2:36:42 AM   
ilovebeerme

Go for GRRM James, it's a quality series. Not finished yet though and Dance of Dragons has just been pushed back another year (Sept 2011)

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 72
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 8/3/2011 3:12:54 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Started Game of Thrones this morning and although only 2 chapters in I'm loving it so going to order the others

I originally thought it was part of a trilogy (A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords) but there is a Storm of Swords 2.  Then there is A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.  Is that the order they should be read in then?

Is the Storm of Swords a kind of two parter then?

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 73
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 8/3/2011 4:43:44 PM   
pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Started Game of Thrones this morning and although only 2 chapters in I'm loving it so going to order the others

I originally thought it was part of a trilogy (A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords) but there is a Storm of Swords 2.  Then there is A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.  Is that the order they should be read in then?

Is the Storm of Swords a kind of two parter then?

Yeah read them in that order - GoT, CoK and SoS all follow directly from each other. FfC is slightly different in that the POVs shift to focus on half the characters, and DwD will follow the other characters, so in this respect they are kind of one book (but I would imagine that you would need to read Feast before Dance as I think some of the POVs overlap) - this is partly why the delays in Dance have been so excrutiating, as it has been about ten years since Storm of Swords was published and so fans have waited that long to find out what happens to some of the characters. It didn't really help that they are mostly the best characters too (I won't name which as I don't want to spoil it for you which characters make it thus far!) I only read the books about 3 years ago (purely on the basis of this thread) and it has been a long enough wait for me, so god only knows that it must have been like for fans who have been following the series since the beginning!

Oh, and Swords is only split into 2 books because it's apparently too long to fit into one actual book, but it is just the one novel.

< Message edited by pedros -- 8/3/2011 4:44:20 PM >

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 74
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 8/3/2011 5:11:48 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Cheers Ped!

Already looking forward to getting on the train so I can carry on reading it, might go the long way home! 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 75
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 8/3/2011 9:45:38 PM   
Felix

Damn you Hobbs, I've just copied the first one to my Kindle to read, that means I've now got 11 books in my To Read folder!!

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 76
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 8/3/2011 10:26:34 PM   
Hobbitonlass

If you get the other 4 you'll have 15 to read in your list

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 8/3/2011 10:27:06 PM >

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 77
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 9/3/2011 9:50:29 AM   
Rob

I'm working my way through these and I'm loving them. Finished Game of Thrones in record time (for me) and straight into a Clash Of Kings.

I can't appreciate how frustrating it must be for those who started the series when it first came out. I was annoyed that only the first two books were available of Kindle and spent most of last month refreshing the page hoping that Storm of Swords and Feast For Crows would be released. Thankfully I didn't have to wait too long!

< Message edited by Rob -- 10/3/2011 9:53:25 AM >

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 78
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/3/2011 6:55:14 AM   
Lil Slugger

Release date finally announced for Dance With Dragons!

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 79
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/3/2011 9:50:19 AM   
impqueen

Finished A Game of Thrones, great stuff, not the best writing in the universe (I worked through it pretty quickly though...) but thoroughly enjoyable. I like Jon Snow, Tyrion, Arya and Eddard sort of,  he frustrated me a lot. My least favourite characters (right now) Sansa (I know she is a child but come on!?) from the none POV Joff, Robert Arryn and both their mothers... I'll have a short break and read something else but hopefully I will start Clash of Kings by the end of the month.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 10/3/2011 9:59:09 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Lil Slugger)
Post #: 80
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/3/2011 9:58:05 AM   
Rob

I'd pretty much agree with Impqueen - Tyrion, Arya and Jon are the best characters although I did really like Eddard. It really helped knowing that Sean Bean is going to play him in the TV series as it made the character feel more three dimensional than perhaps he would have done otherwise.

I wonder if Martin will ever finish the series given how long it's taken for A Dance With Dragons to be given a release date. Am I correct in thinking that he plans to write two more after that?

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 81
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/3/2011 10:00:28 AM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I'd pretty much agree with Impqueen - Tyrion, Arya and Jon are the best characters although I did really like Eddard. It really helped knowing that Sean Bean is going to play him in the TV series as it made the character feel more three dimensional than perhaps he would have done otherwise.

I wonder if Martin will ever finish the series given how long it's taken for A Dance With Dragons to be given a release date. Am I correct in thinking that he plans to write two more after that?

I believe it's supposed to be a Seven Part Series, so yes two more should come along...

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 82
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 30/3/2011 6:00:18 PM   
Haddocks Beard

Reading GoT, loving it and really wasn't expecting to...me and fantasy do not mix. I think Tyrion is my favourite with, a toss up between Jon or Arya. I love that Carcetti, I mean Aidan Gillen is playing Baelish. I think we can all agree Sansa is totally annoying. I can't wait until we see POV from other characters

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 83
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 31/3/2011 1:23:08 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Completed Book One and Two and getting the next few tomorrow in bulk since I'm enjoying it so much. Initially the switching narratives were difficult to digest (although that may've been because I read Robin Hobb just beforehand). Now I find it sorta handy if I need to stop reading for a few hours, or days, and it's quite easy to get back into the flow. I was pretty bummed about Ned Stark and I'm still reading in hope of Nymeria's return, but my favourite character has to be Arya  That little 'water dancer' can kick some butt.

Looking forward to seeing the TV series as well. It'll be interesting to see how they portray the direwolves.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Haddocks Beard)
Post #: 84
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 31/3/2011 1:31:01 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Yup, another vote for Tyrion, Ayra and Jon.  Great characters and always wanted to know what they were up to when reading the other character chapters.  Didn't help me knowing Sean Bean is playing Eddard as I now know what happens to him!!

Sansa needs to good slapping!  I wondered about the Direwolves as well.  They just sound so majestic on paper.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 85
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/4/2011 1:36:22 PM   
Rob

Well I'm 92% (thanks Kindle!) of the way through Clash Of Kings and debating whether to take a break after this or go straight into Storm of Swords. I'm utterly loving it but I just know that I'll race through the next two books (possibly three if Dance with Dragons is released on Kindle in July) and then have a five year wait for the next chapter!

Favourite characters after book two are still Arya, Tyrion and John.

Spoilers for Clash of Kings

However, despite being a traitorous sh*t I'm really interested in seeing what happens to Theon Greyjoy. I think he's a very interesting character and well written. I've just got to the point where Ramsey "Reek" Boulton / Snow has revealed himself and sacked Winterfell so I'm intrigued as to how his story pans out. I'm hoping for some form of dramatic redemption but doubt that I'll get my wish.

My hopes for the series are:

Joffrey get's mauled by a returning Nymeria and dies a horrible horrible death
Tywin Lannister dies a horrible horrible death preferably by Robb Stark / Jon Snow
Jon turns out to be the rightful heir to the Iron Throne (maybe son of Lyanna and Rhaegar) and fulfills his destiny by kicking all sorts of Lannister (except Tyrion and bizarrely Jamie*) derriere in the process and appoints Robb as the Hand.

* Quite liked his frankness in this book for some reason.

Post #: 86
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/4/2011 1:39:45 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

I'm utterly loving it but I just know that I'll race through the next two books (possibly three if Dance with Dragons is released on Kindle in July) and then have a five year wait for the next chapter!

You've missed out "A Feast for Crows", that comes after Storm of Swords part 2   That would make Dance with Dragons fourth by your reckoning then.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 87
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/4/2011 1:49:53 PM   
impqueen

I've almost finished Clash of Kings too, I am taking a break from the world for a month or so when I finish. I've got other things that need to be read! I'm sure when the series starts later this month I watch that then when it ends continue with SOS PI .

Yes, always.

Post #: 88
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/4/2011 2:05:41 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

I'm utterly loving it but I just know that I'll race through the next two books (possibly three if Dance with Dragons is released on Kindle in July) and then have a five year wait for the next chapter!

You've missed out "A Feast for Crows", that comes after Storm of Swords part 2   That would make Dance with Dragons fourth by your reckoning then.

By the next two books I meant Storm or Swords (just one book on Kindle) and then A Feast For Crows (already downloaded and tempting me on my Kindle) followed by Dance With Dragons if the Kindle version is released alongside the hardback.

Post #: 89
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/4/2011 6:12:42 PM   
pedros

quote:

Well I'm 92% (thanks Kindle!) of the way through Clash Of Kings and debating whether to take a break after this or go straight into Storm of Swords. I'm utterly loving it but I just know that I'll race through the next two books (possibly three if Dance with Dragons is released on Kindle in July) and then have a five year wait for the next chapter!

Favourite characters after book two are still Arya, Tyrion and John.

Spoilers for Clash of Kings

However, despite being a traitorous sh*t I'm really interested in seeing what happens to Theon Greyjoy. I think he's a very interesting character and well written. I've just got to the point where Ramsey "Reek" Boulton / Snow has revealed himself and sacked Winterfell so I'm intrigued as to how his story pans out. I'm hoping for some form of dramatic redemption but doubt that I'll get my wish.

My hopes for the series are:

Joffrey get's mauled by a returning Nymeria and dies a horrible horrible death
Tywin Lannister dies a horrible horrible death preferably by Robb Stark / Jon Snow
Jon turns out to be the rightful heir to the Iron Throne (maybe son of Lyanna and Rhaegar) and fulfills his destiny by kicking all sorts of Lannister (except Tyrion and bizarrely Jamie*) derriere in the process and appoints Robb as the Hand.

* Quite liked his frankness in this book for some reason.

My advice would be to keep up the momentum and go through Storm of Swords, and then take a break. Then read Feast for Crows just before Dance with Dragons.

It is interesting to hear your predictions though, with the knowledge of what actually happens. I'm not saying that any of them are correct or incorrect of course, but as I say - read Storm of Swords!

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: A Song of Ice and Fire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI