Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: A Song of Ice and Fire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 7/3/2009 2:33:35 PM   
O_Goncho

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueBalls

I've been thinking about buying A Game of Thrones for a while now, its only 4.79 on amazon and seeing all the positivity its getting here I mught just buy it.

I would say definitely go for it, it is a staggeringly good series, and the first book sets things up beautifully.
But I hesitate, because know yee and be warned: once you read one you'll want to read them all... and you can't. Nobody can.

***My wild and wacky Film Diary 2009***

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 31
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 9/3/2009 3:15:21 PM   
BigKovacs

I'm a total Noob with Martin's work and was hoping if anyone can fill me on what his stuff like? I'm avoiding Wiki etc and being cautious in fear of spoilers. Is his stuff quite violent?

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 32
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 9/3/2009 3:21:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I'm a total Noob with Martin's work and was hoping if anyone can fill me on what his stuff like? I'm avoiding Wiki etc and being cautious in fear of spoilers. Is his stuff quite violent?

The books don't have orcs and whatnot, although there are certain fantasy elements in the story that are drawn out.

It is violent, with quite a lot of (childishly described) sex and swearing. Its more like a historical ficiton story than a fantasy book.

It is also pretty shocking in the turns the story takes, and has some of the best drawn characters in fantasy.

Its one of the better series out there. Not quite as dense as Wheel of Time and not quite a simple as the works of Fiest or Eddings and it is defintiely for adults.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 33
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 9/3/2009 5:02:40 PM   
BigKovacs

Thanks, sounds like my cup of tea. I'll pick a copy up and get back here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 34
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/3/2009 11:10:51 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

i've had the first three books on my shelf for months after being recommended them for you fine people a while back... i think i will start them now.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 35
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/3/2009 11:12:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

Hopefully the HBO show will start production soon.

I managed to read the pilot script and its pretty close to the book so thats a plus.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 36
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 11/3/2009 1:46:10 PM   
DaveTheStampede

I've read the first two.  "A Game Of Thrones" I thoroughly enjoyed, but "A Clash of Kings"...  I don't know.  Out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks that "A Clash of Kings" descended a bot too much into melodrama?
For example:
quote:

*SPOILER*
When the Bastard of Bolton took out Roderick Cassel and scattered the few Stark soldiers left anywhere near Winterfell

I'll be honest, when that happened I couldn't help but roll my eyes...

So... without giving too much away, can anyone convince me that the rest (or at least Book 3) is worth reading?

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 37
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 11/3/2009 8:30:34 PM   
O_Goncho

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveTheStampede

I've read the first two. "A Game Of Thrones" I thoroughly enjoyed, but "A Clash of Kings"... I don't know. Out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks that "A Clash of Kings" descended a bot too much into melodrama?
For example:
quote:

*SPOILER*
When the Bastard of Bolton took out Roderick Cassel and scattered the few Stark soldiers left anywhere near Winterfell

I'll be honest, when that happened I couldn't help but roll my eyes...

So... without giving too much away, can anyone convince me that the rest (or at least Book 3) is worth reading?

If by 'convince' you mean 'declare' then sure, I could give it a go: It is worth reading the rest.

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 38
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 12/3/2009 8:17:00 AM   
DaveTheStampede

The ironic thing is, not long after I posted that, I got into a discussion about the first two books with my sister.  In the end, I sort of convinced myself to read the rest...

Having said that, your persuasive argument would have convinced me anyway

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 39
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 12/3/2009 3:23:10 PM   
BigKovacs

Well I've just picked up Thrones about 5 minutes ago due to it's praise on here so fingers crossed. I'll pop back when I'm a few chapters in.

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 40
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 13/3/2009 12:43:40 PM   
BigKovacs

Just 30 pages in and I'm enjoying it so far (early days I know). I can see what you guys means about killing off characters already.

****SPOILER WARNING*****

I honestly thought Gered would pop up a fair bit more but no, head gone already.

*****SPOILER OVER******

It's surprising and I can imagine it will keep me guessing for most of the book. The Olde Worlde English is okay going so far, it can get a bit heavy handed in fantasy but it's flowing naturally. The same goes for the metaphors "Blood burning in the snow like fire/steel shattering like a shower of needles etc", personally I don't like them that much and are usually slapped on a bit thick in fantasy but Martin grounds it quickly which I appreciate. I can see why people describe this as historical fiction, I'm getting a realistic vibe off this, which I'm used to and it's helping me get into it as a new comer.

I'm just skimming the surface of a very big pond but so far so good!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 41
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 26/3/2009 10:14:40 AM   
BigKovacs

Okay so I'm not finished yet, I'm about 2 thirds of the way in and it's bloody amazing. I'll drop back when I'm done.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 42
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 16/4/2009 1:54:17 PM   
Souljahsstory

I'm tempted to pick this series up again and have a re-read through, But all i remember is how depressing it was with some reallly dislikable characters. is my memory serving me right?

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 43
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 16/4/2009 2:53:00 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

ive read about 250 pages, the book is a beast. it's pretty good so far, i like Eddard, Jon and tyrion's narrative the best so far.

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 44
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 16/4/2009 5:42:23 PM   
mafyou

It's good to see people enjoying Martin's books. I might re-read them again during the summer. As far as I'm aware A Dance with Dragons is still not completed, so I'm going to need to remind myself what's happened so far before it finally gets released. 

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 45
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 16/4/2009 6:18:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

Im waiting until its all done now. But good to see folk enjoying it. Looking forward to the HBO show.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 46
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 17/4/2009 3:55:42 PM   
BigKovacs

I just finished book 2, Clash of Kings at 2am last night. Blisteringly good book and what an ending. I'm scares shitless of spoilers myself so I won't say anything in case anyone else is reading through these for the first time but I was shaking with anger as I read the last few chapters, powerful stuff.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 47
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 25/4/2009 10:15:08 PM   
O_Goncho

Keep going, dude. If you think you're angry now just wait until you're through the next one.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 48
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 27/4/2009 11:03:27 AM   
BigKovacs

A mate of mine who's finished all the current books also said that things only get worse. Storm of Swords it's such a great read but so damn tragic, it does seem to be a bit more smutty than the previous books though.

I can't read quick enough though, truly brilliant series.

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 49
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/5/2009 12:28:39 PM   
pedros

Looks like they are starting to cast for the show - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a155022/peter-dinklage-cast-in-game-of-thrones.html

They are filming it in Ireland in Autumn I think so there should be a few more cast announcements coming up.

Still no word on Dance of Dragons. I re-read the first 4 books a few months ago, I think I'll read Feast for Crows again after I finish my current book.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 50
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/5/2009 1:26:27 PM   
BigKovacs

A fair casting for Tyrion, I'm down with that. Just started Storm of Swords book 2 today.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 51
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/5/2009 1:41:03 PM   
mafyou

I think that casting sounds pretty good to me. We will need a threat in Small Screen methinks.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 52
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/5/2009 3:40:08 PM   
Rgirvan44

Having read the script for the pilot, it should be reasonably priced - along the line of the Tudors. It ends at a pretty natural point in the story.

I enjoyed what I read of the pilot  - very faithful. Rome proves that HBO is capable of doing the series justice.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 6/5/2009 3:41:38 PM >

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 53
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 12/5/2009 10:52:45 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: O_Goncho

Keep going, dude. If you think you're angry now just wait until you're through the next one.

Half way through Blood and Gold and yeah... it's hard going. Quite excellent but quite savage!

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 54
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 3/6/2009 10:45:01 AM   
BigKovacs

Finished A Feast fro Crows this morning and... wow... quite a stunning series and like everyone else I'm left gagging for more.

******TOTAL SPOILERS UP TO MOST RECENT BOOK********
******TOTAL SPOILERS UP TO MOST RECENT BOOK********

I really like how the tide of alliances and friendships twist and turn the whole time, just like in war itself. I was gutted when Brienne was strung up along with pod, the poor thing has been truly gallant throughout and trying to do the best for everyone she has sworn to and has simply been really, really unlucky.

I really like Goncho's idea about Sandor Clegane being the gravedigger, his appearance and limp can be taken for granted but there's no way anyone could have led Stranger across the walkway and into the stable apart from the Hound himself. I'd love to see him come back somehow as I really liked him as well. I also want to know who Qyburns 'champion' is, judging from the mysterious experiments hes conducting in the black cells and the massive plate armour he's had Cersei order for him, I'm hoping for some sort of Frankestein Gregor Clegane. If there's a zombie Cat Stark, anything's possible!

There's tone of things I love about ASOIAF and I don't have the time to write about them all but yeah, it's quite brilliant!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 55
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 3/6/2009 3:42:30 PM   
pedros

You weren't the dude in the suit on the northern line reading Feast for Crows yesterday morning were you BigKovacs???

I recently re-read the whole series and enjoyed Feast for Crows alot more the second time. I agree about the gravedigger possibly being the Hound - he gets alot of description for no apparent reason, and the clues about the limp and him patting the dog are too much to ignore. The only doubt in my mind is that Martin has said that he is dead - I think it is in this link somewhere http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/2008/04/

There is some interesting info in that link - it's basically a Q&A session with Martin, and has some really geeky questions, but also some interesting ones. I wouldn't consider it to be particularly spoilerific but if you really really don't want any clues as to what will happen in future books then you may want to avoid.

I'm also checking his blog regularly - he said in March that if Dragons was finished in June then it will be out in October - nothing yet though

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 56
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 3/6/2009 4:01:08 PM   
BigKovacs

***SPOILERS STILL GOING***

Haha, it wasn't me, I was on an overland train at roughly the same time. Bizarrely there's a guy in a suit working through the books at roughly the same speed as me on my train.

With The Hound I'm hoping that the 'Hound' is dead as the Elder Septon sais, but that Sandor may yet remain on... he himself along with Meribald (the other wandering Septon traveling with Brienne etc) are both broken men with pretty nasty backgrounds, so it could be that the Elder Septon took pity on him for that reason. Still it's all sceptical... I hope he does return.

Seeing as I've only just finished I'm going to give it a while until I start chasing blogs and forums but I'm sure I'll fold soon enough. It's nice to be able to bounce ideas off people though.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 57
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 9/6/2009 1:28:50 PM   
O_Goncho

Spoilers, spoilers, spah-oilerz...

Great to see you enjoyed burning through the rest of the series, Kovacs. You have my sympathy though, because you're now another of the rabid horde urgently willing GRRM to get the next damn book done. I've finished 6th Form and a bloody degree in the time since I last got any new Westros action. So yeah, welcome to the suck.

And if it turns out the Gravedigger isn't Sandor I'll be genuinely shocked and a little appalled at the use of such a promising red herring. Don't worry about Brienne though, whatever word she uttered at the last minute, I'm sure it was just enough to earn her a few more pages. Nobody in those book seems to properly die without getting an extremely grisly passage devoted to describing exactly how they snuff it. And sometimes even that doesn't stop them coming back!

< Message edited by O_Goncho -- 9/6/2009 1:34:20 PM >

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 58
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 9/6/2009 2:09:31 PM   
BigKovacs

*****SPOILERS.....AGAIN......********

After Catelyns return and the spooky Cold Hands chap possibly being Benjen Stark I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was a dream. I mean that in a good way, I like the mad twists and turns, it keeps me guessing and turning the pages.
The long wait now and the uncertainty that comes with it isn't great, I'm ravenous for more but Martin seems to work so slowly. There was an afterword in the back of my copy of Feast where he jokingly apologises for omitting some major characters and the follow up book would be out soon... it was dated in 2006 I think What the hell is the man doing??

Still it's a ball bustingly good epic, really impressive and I can't wait for more. Really makes me want to do fan art for some reason...

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 59
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 14/6/2009 5:10:52 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

I've tried to not read any of the spoilers above - luckily i have only seen names and that near enough means nothng to me.

Spoilers for the first book might be abound...

In honesty, this has taken me an age just to get through the first 600 pages, about 6 months i think. To be fair, i do an english degree so i do a lot of reading already and i've had exams so i stopped reading for about a month... but coming back it has just made me see a flaw.

It seems so stop and start, at first i liked the different narratives and how they always seemed to end on cliffhangers... but now, and this really annoyed me...

When Robert dies and Ned has called council to overthrow Joffery, we realise that Littlefinger has betrayed Ned with hs dagger to his throat - then it just ends and starts a new chapter - WTF! at last the book was getting somewhere and then perspective changes. I'm now up to the part where Sansa has been asked to write 4 letters to her brothers and mother...

another gripe i have is that Martin has used the same trick twice - where a character wonders and hears something they shouldnt have - where i thought it was good the first time, it seemed Martin simply ran out of an ideas.

I'm going to finish the novel - should i continue to the others?

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: A Song of Ice and Fire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI