Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A Song of Ice and Fire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: A Song of Ice and Fire Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 21/6/2012 12:26:35 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

SPOILERS - ALL BOOKS

Depends if you think "Aegon" is really Rhaegar's son. I'm not convinced he is: I think he's a Blackfyre (the rebel Targaryen offshoot). He's supported by the Golden Company, sellswords founded by the Blackfyres. The GC never broke a contract, yet they have done exactly that to join Aegon. Why would they support the heir of the house their founders rebelled against?

Hmm...depends on whether or not you buy into Maelys being the last of the direct descendents of Daemon Blackfyre - if so, then Ser Barristan ended it when he killed him .  If not then, as Illyrio seems to hint at, then the Blackfyre theory could hold water.  The Golden Company broke their contract with Myr to join with Dany to help take Westeros (and return from exile themselves), and once it became clear that Dany wasn't in any rush to do so, the next best thing would be to side with Aegon.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 361
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 21/6/2012 1:49:57 PM   
Chief

Can someone draw a diagram, preferably using crayons and primary colours, 'cos I am fucking lost.

< Message edited by Chief -- 21/6/2012 1:50:08 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 362
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 22/6/2012 2:20:04 PM   
Woger

The ice and fire wiki page below may help clear some things; no crayons though.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 363
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 22/6/2012 9:04:26 PM   
target

I finished DWD the other week. Even got my dad in to it, who doesn't normally read that sort of thing. He got a bit annoyed when i told him the next book would be out in two to three years.

So whats the deal with the Mountain? is he dead or is he 'that guy' at the end.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 364
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 23/6/2012 6:12:24 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

I finished DWD the other week. Even got my dad in to it, who doesn't normally read that sort of thing. He got a bit annoyed when i told him the next book would be out in two to three years.

So whats the deal with the Mountain? is he dead or is he 'that guy' at the end.

If we're lucky, going by GRRM's record we could be in for a longer wait than that

With regard to the Mountain, there are many theories but the most popular is that he is Ser Robert Strong

The link that Woger posted has loads of information and theories, plus the forums are fun too- but be warned, it is an incredible time sink

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to target)
Post #: 365
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 16/7/2012 9:27:01 PM   
BigKovacs

TOTAL SPOILERS to all books!!!

I'm 100% convinced that Ser Strong is an undead Gregor Clegane. We know that the dead can come back and sometimes have a degree of Intelligence or even retain their entire memories. Quyburn was known to use necromancy so I reckon he's used that skill to reanimate the mountain as some sort of Frankenstein type slave.

It will be interesting to see if Theon will make a comeback of some sort seeing as he's regained his name, I hope so.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 366
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 25/7/2012 4:04:41 PM   
Chief

The Red Wedding isn't any easier the second time around but it was fun looking out for the signs in the lead up to it.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 367
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 25/7/2012 7:00:42 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

The Red Wedding isn't any easier the second time around but it was fun looking out for the signs in the lead up to it.

Moment of reflection for Dacey Mormont Of all the female characters in ASOIF, she was the one I had a slight crush on

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 368
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 26/7/2012 9:16:59 AM   
Chief

Just read the Arstan/Barristan reveal, great bit of the book. I thought Daenerys was a bit harsh on him though.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 369
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 26/7/2012 11:32:06 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Just read the Arstan/Barristan reveal, great bit of the book. I thought Daenerys was a bit harsh on him though.

I think it was more an overly-emotional reaction by Daenerys who, at a time she was feeling particularly vulnerable, discovers that her two most trusted advisors aren't who they seem.  After all, Barristan was her father's Commander of the Kingsguard who subsequently bent the knee to the man who, in her eyes, killed her parents and siblings, making him a traitor to the Targaryens.  Its no surprise that she would be a bit pissed off at this revelation.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 370
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 26/7/2012 12:36:02 PM   
Chief

Maybe it's just because I like Barristan Selmy!

Now I'm thinking, hang on - is it the Queen of Thorns that poisons Joffrey? I've just read a bit before the wedding feast where she's fixing Sansa's hair and I'm thinking that she took the poison from the hair net then.

How did I miss all this on my first read?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 371
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 26/7/2012 12:52:08 PM   
Angelus

quote:

Now I'm thinking, hang on - is it the Queen of Thorns that poisons Joffrey? I've just read a bit before the wedding feast where she's fixing Sansa's hair and I'm thinking that she took the poison from the hair net then.

I'd have to read that chapter again, but I'd say it's either her, Margaery, or Garlan Tyrell. All had the opportunity to do it.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 372
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 29/7/2012 12:43:40 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Well, that's me up to date! I can finally surf the net and post in this thread without fear of spoilers!

I have to say no other books have gripped me like ASOFAI since I first read The Lord Of The Rings. Absolutely stunning stuff. I think I've managed to get a fairly good grasp on what is going on and such but I have no doubt missed little clues and things somewhere along the line. There's so much to all about I don't really know where to start. I thought all the books were 5* except for 'Feast' which was more 4* but that was probably down to me not really being that interested in the Iron Islanders and their Kingsmoot.

My favourite characters:

Tyrion
Jon Snow
Jorah Morment
Theon Greyjoy / Reek

Most shocking moment is obviously The Red Wedding for me, I'd already seen the shows first season before starting the books so I already knew about Eddards demise ( although it was still shocking!) I wasn't too shocked by what happened to Jon Snow as you could see it coming a mile off (why don't these guys listen to their bloody dire wolves?) I just hope he isn't dead, I have a suspicion he is though and he might even come back as a wight.

I think I'm going to head over to the dedicated wiki site so I can have a gander at things and make sure I'm not in a totally wrong place theory wise!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 373
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 30/7/2012 3:12:28 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

Maybe it's just because I like Barristan Selmy!

How did I miss all this on my first read?

I thought it was Littlefinger that organised all of it, from the poisoning to Sansa's escape. I really need to re-read!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 374
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 30/7/2012 3:30:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

I always took it that the Queen of Thorns was the one who did the poisoning...perhaps with the assistance of Littlefinger.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 375
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 30/7/2012 3:40:39 PM   
SWOTBM

Perhaps I'm being naive, but I wouldn't have thought Garlan Tyrell (aka Garlan the Gallant) would have had any part in the poisoning. I thought it was the Queen of Thorns. But then again, I thought Cersei poisoned Jon Arryn

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 376
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 30/7/2012 4:39:31 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I thought it was Littlefinger that organised all of it, from the poisoning to Sansa's escape. I really need to re-read!

Littlefinger organised it, putting the kettleblacks in place do aid Cersei's downfall as well, but The Queen of Thorns actually put the poison in the drink.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 377
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 31/7/2012 12:49:43 AM   
big dawg

like YFU I've just finished DoD....I've read them all one after another over the past 6-7 weeks or so and at times it was a slog. I've found myself caring less about Bran and his arc and really enjoying the political shenanigans in Kings Landing. Im loving the fact Jamie is quite cool now. Bit gutted about Jon Snow too as i quite liked him. I do think there's a bit much going on at times and characters seem to drift in and out. Davos, Rickon (remember him?!?) Euron (i like him) and the outlaws that ran with Dondarrion all seem to have dissapeared (though i suspect Davos may be with Rickon now) and i do wonder how the tv series will cope. There'll have to be a major cull in characters imo. I think the Boltons should have been brought in as they're pretty big players and the iron islanders have massive sections devoted to them and, Victarion especially, looks like he'll feature a lot more in the final two books. I have enjoyed reading them and look forward to finishing it over the next few years but they aren't without their flaws.

and sir Robert has to be some sort of frankenstein that Qyburn has made from The Mountain.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 378
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 13/8/2012 1:05:45 PM   
BigKovacs

I can't remember but if Cersei is facing a trial by combat and Strong is her champion I hope his brother will champion for the faith. That'll be a fun tear up.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 379
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 14/8/2012 10:37:33 AM   
Chief

Re-reading them all, jeez, book 4 is a slog in parts. I think it's because during the Kingsmoot you get Asha's POV, then onto the one of her uncles. There's no change of scenery.

I quite like Brienne's story so that keeps me going.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 380
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 7/12/2012 6:55:19 PM   
benmharper

Not read the thread for fear of spoilers, just finished book 3. Wow. Didn't see half of that stuff coming.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 381
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 8/1/2013 10:27:54 PM   
Angelus

New sample chapter from The Winds of Winter: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 382
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 27/2/2013 4:08:02 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Give me the book damn it!

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 383
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 14/3/2013 2:49:07 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

Not read the thread for fear of spoilers, just finished book 3. Wow. Didn't see half of that stuff coming.

Part 2 of Book 3 is the best book yet in my opinion. Tons of incidents happen and you really can't tell who's gonna buy it next! I'm on with A Feast for Crows at the moment and as someone else has said its a bit of a slog. I'm about half way through and the impression I'm getting is that its all setting up some 'shit hits the fan' moments for Book 5.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 384
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 14/3/2013 2:57:56 PM   
Woger

Book 4 is a bit of a slog on the first read, second time around it flows a lot better. I think the bigger introduction of the Iron Born messes things up a bit.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 385
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 26/3/2013 2:12:19 PM   
ADStoney

Less then a week remaining until Season 3, I wish I could say the same for the Winds of Winter!

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 386
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 31/5/2013 1:19:03 PM   
Chief

Caricatures of every character from the ice and fire books.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.232323176777744.70785.198918470118215&type=1

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 387
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 31/5/2013 2:41:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

They're awesome!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 388
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 1/6/2013 2:14:22 PM   
SWOTBM

^ Not bad. I quite like these portraits. Some of them can look a bit samey; but it's just how I imagined Cersei would look.

http://elia-illustration.deviantart.com/art/Cersei-Lannister-264780058

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 389
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 12/6/2013 8:25:28 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Someone on the TV show thread mentioned that Podrick Payne and Gendry look alike, and someone else replied saying they thought it was supposed to be intentional. I didn't want to discuss it in there for fear of spoilers, but I can't remember anything in the books that suggests any kind of connection between Pod and Gendry. Podrick is from House Payne, and Gendry is a Baratheon bastard. There isn't anything on the ASOIAF wiki either. Have I missed something or is someone else making assumptions?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: A Song of Ice and Fire Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI