Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A Song of Ice and Fire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> A Song of Ice and Fire Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Song of Ice and Fire - 28/5/2007 11:29:05 PM   
mafyou

Has anybody else read this fantastic series of books? I've met George R.R. Martin as well. Pretty nice guy on the face of it. But seriously, i wish the guy would write faster! It's taking ages for A Dance of Dragons to be released!

So yeah, opinions and views if you've read any of them i guess.

Et In Arcadia Ego
Post #: 1
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 29/5/2007 10:17:45 AM   
Souljahsstory

Love the series, Its really rather gruesome too, So much in fact that its difficult for me to pick the books up again. Especially A game of thrones, As i was worried about who would die this time!

I believe he is currently writing a comic book, The Hedge Knight which is based on the series or something.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 2
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 29/5/2007 10:30:42 AM   
mafyou

They are a bit gruesome and not for the little'uns, but that's kind of why i like them. Has a bad habit of killing good characters off though!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Souljahsstory)
Post #: 3
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 29/5/2007 11:04:57 AM   
Helen OHara

Bloody awesome stuff, and his utter ruthlessness towards his own characters is fantastic. Disturbing, but fantastic. Still needs to write faster though - I've already got one Robert Jordan in my life and I don't need another.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 4
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 29/5/2007 3:39:35 PM   
mafyou

So who is your favourite character?

Note: Likely to be killed off in next book because they are your favourite.

Personally, i like Jon Snow. He's a good all rounder!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 5
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 29/5/2007 4:35:08 PM   
Helen OHara

Snow is a favourite, for sure - but surely he has to survive to the end (mentally hears an arrow thud into Snow's chest).

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 6
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 29/5/2007 5:27:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

Jamie Lannister has the most intresting character arc - an awful corrupt human being who starts to realise what he has become and is trying to find some form of redemption while all the time being loyal to his family.

Jamie is a great example of what makes A Song of Ice and Fire rise above other fantasy books - charcters aren't just 'good' or 'evil' but are shades of both. Tyrion is the best example of this - he isn't very nice but I alway find myself on his side in most matters.

The books make some bold and shocking twists and its about the only series where I feel no one is safe (well maybe Jon and Daenerys and Tyrion).

Just hope he starts writing these things quicker. With whats happening with Robert Jorden just now there is a danger that once you start writing mulit volume stories they may never be finished.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 29/5/2007 5:30:09 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 7
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 29/5/2007 6:54:25 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Jamie is a great example of what makes A Song of Ice and Fire rise above other fantasy books - charcters aren't just 'good' or 'evil' but are shades of both. Tyrion is the best example of this - he isn't very nice but I alway find myself on his side in most matters.

Very true. I forgot about Jamie (Is that really a very medieval name?). Characterisation is definitly one of Martin's strongest points.

Anyway, i don't want to drift tooo far off the point but Robert Jordan has had his name crop up a couple of times now. Is this his Wheel Of Time series? Has he still not finished that yet? Can someone elaborate please, thank you.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 8
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 14/6/2007 1:39:03 PM   
O_Goncho

Hurrah, so a thread does exist for this! Thank you Mr. Lovebeerme for pointing me to it.

A favorite character of mine is The Hound even though most of his best moments take place from the POV of my least favorite (all bloody Sansa seems to do for three books is cry and eat lemon cakes!)

Thar be spoilers below if you haven't finished the latest book:
Anybody else convinced he's the gravedigger on that little island Brienne washes up on? I know Martin has always tried to stay vague about it when confronted but... it just so is. Anyway, think he'll make a dramatic come back as the born-again hero and fly the flag for bloody Sansa? I might be getting a little carried away there, but still... be nice.

Oh, and does anybody have any interesting theories about A Dance of Dragons? I say Tyrion will build one of his tricked out harnesses and steal himself one of Dany's dragons! Unlikely, but that's why it seem so likely donchathink?

< Message edited by O_Goncho -- 14/6/2007 1:43:31 PM >

***My wild and wacky Film Diary 2009***

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 9
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 15/6/2007 4:03:11 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: O_Goncho

Anybody else convinced he's the gravedigger on that little island Brienne washes up on? I know Martin has always tried to stay vague about it when confronted but... it just so is. Anyway, think he'll make a dramatic come back as the born-again hero and fly the flag for bloody Sansa? I might be getting a little carried away there, but still... be nice.

Eh? I well don't remember that. Although, i haven't read the book since it came out and that was more than two years ago. Can you remind in what context that was?

Personally, i like all his characters but The Hound is one of my least favourite. He just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I think you may get to like Sansa more as she begins to play a more pivitol role in the re-emergence of House Stark.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 10
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 15/6/2007 6:44:55 PM   
O_Goncho

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

quote:

Eh? I well don't remember that. Although, i haven't read the book since it came out and that was more than two years ago. Can you remind in what context that was?

Personally, i like all his characters but The Hound is one of my least favourite. He just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I think you may get to like Sansa more as she begins to play a more pivitol role in the re-emergence of House Stark.

Well, you'd really need to re-read it to spot all the clues Martin drops into the chapter, but I'll try to think back to everything I remember...
Sandor's horse Strange is in the stables
The Brother who discusses Sandor with Brienne is very ambiguous about Sandor's ultimate fate.
The gravedigger looks very out of place, and is sporting a limp from some sort of leg injury (which Sandor had when Arya left him)
And to top it off... there is a an actual hound that follows him about.

I'm pretty sure there's even more clues, but I can't recall right now. And I do like Sansa more now that she's sauntering about with Littlefinger but I'm never going to be particularly fond of her.

Any specific reason you're not so fond of him? I know he's not a very appealing character but that's hardly uncommon in this series...

< Message edited by O_Goncho -- 15/6/2007 6:46:43 PM >

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 11
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 15/6/2007 7:00:51 PM   
mafyou

Yeah that's true! I just don't like The Hound that much. I see him as one of the minor characters (probably because he doesn't get his own chapters!) and i like the characters who have changed or develop. I think that's why i like Jon Snow. He is a character developing throughout the books. However, if The Hound becomes "the born again hero" as you think, will probably like him more. 

I think i really need to read them all over the summer again. I need something to tide me over until Dance of Dragons. Do you reckon Daenarys will come back to Westeros and conquer with perhaps the aid of Tyrion and Jon? I'd like to see more stuff with the happenings north of the Wall as well.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 12
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 18/6/2007 6:33:11 PM   
O_Goncho

quote:

Do you reckon Daenarys will come back to Westeros and conquer with perhaps the aid of Tyrion and Jon? I'd like to see more stuff with the happenings north of the Wall as well.

I think it's definately on the cards. I don't know if you've heard the theories that Jon is actually Rhaegar's son, but if it pans out then there's already a strong connection between Dany and Jon... although I think the title of the series itself is enough to point out that those two are definately focal points.
As for Tyrion I'm pretty convinced he's going to be meeting Dany sooner or later. GRRM actually just dropped what could be a big hint on his Livejournal about Tyrion not long ago, I'll post it here in case you haven't seen...

"Well, I made my appearance on Sheep Island a few hours ago, cleverly disguised as Tyrion the Imp for a reading and Q&A session at Bantam's virtual bookstore. Only this version of Tyrion could fly! Ah, if only the Tyrion in the books could fly, what mischief he will... ah... could... ah, never mind."

Strong possibility he's just teasing, I know, but it's an awfully intriguing teaser...

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 13
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 18/6/2007 6:36:53 PM   
mafyou

Tis indeed! Have you met the great GRRM?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 14
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 18/6/2007 6:40:13 PM   
O_Goncho

Oh no no, I'm not one for meeting... people, let alone people I worship at the altar of. Still, I do enjoy obsessing over the series.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 15
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 19/6/2007 11:07:54 AM   
mafyou

When i met him at a booksigning he was quit underwhelming and didn't really seem as though he wanted to be there. O well, he was alright. Getting the same questions would get on my nerves too/

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 16
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/8/2007 2:03:27 PM   
mafyou

If i wanted to start a thread about the tv series where would i do that? I suppose i'm hoping for a mod to answer this. Would they prefer for me to just keep stuff in here for the moment as there isn't an awful lot about the tv serie atm, SADLY...

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 17
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/10/2007 10:24:56 PM   
pedros

First of all thank you very much to this thread for introducing me to this series - I don't know why I first clicked in this thread, nor why I paid any attention to it when I did read it. I don't do fantasy novels (apart from LOTR), so I really don't know why this thread caught and kept my attention. But it did and solely due to this I bought Game of Thrones and then the rest of them and for the past 3 months I have read all books so far. I finally finished Feast for Crows yesterday and am thrilled to have been caught up in the events of this fascinating series.

My favourite chracter is undoubtedly Tyrion, but I also love Arya (not too sure about her latter stories in Braavos, I'm really hoping she meets up with her direwolf Nymeria and also Sansa and that they join forces to reclaim Winterfall).

Anyway- thanks for introducing me to a series of books that I would never have given a second glance at before. Looking forward to the tv series though can't really imagine it without all the nudity and gore!!!

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 18
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 10/10/2007 11:31:10 PM   
mafyou

That's brilliant to hear Pedros. I'm very pleased you love the series. Now sadly, like the rest of us, you have to wait for the next installment!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 19
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 4/11/2007 2:03:15 PM   
Pinkvelvet

Is Game of Thrones the first book?

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 20
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 4/11/2007 2:57:40 PM   
ilovebeerme

It is, yes.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Pinkvelvet)
Post #: 21
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 4/11/2007 6:23:11 PM   
Pinkvelvet

cheers

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 22
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 4/11/2007 6:55:00 PM   
anettser

Have you read JV Jones, The Baker Boy ? Now that is just brill

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 23
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 5/3/2009 3:35:53 PM   
O_Goncho

Just curious, has anyone else been following the recent outpouring of drama concerning GRRM and his infamous work rate? There's been a fair few articles on the subject, most of which are seemingly torn between either praising the man or attempting to form a lynch mob.

Pretty intense, but intensely interesting for anybody else desperate for the next book. Yeah, so anyway, here's a set of links to the two articles that really got the crazy train rolling...
In Defense of George R.R. Martin and,
In Offense of George R.R. Martin

< Message edited by O_Goncho -- 5/3/2009 3:37:53 PM >

(in reply to anettser)
Post #: 24
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 5/3/2009 4:19:38 PM   
elab49

quote:

If i wanted to start a thread about the tv series where would i do that? I suppose i'm hoping for a mod to answer this. Would they prefer for me to just keep stuff in here for the moment as there isn't an awful lot about the tv serie atm, SADLY...

The TV forum has plenty of threads on shows that are still pretty far away from actual production - stuff like the Pacific based Band of Brothers thing. Even the Wire peeps thing in New Orleans. So it'd mean your thread would get in first and be the 'official' one

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 25
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 5/3/2009 4:32:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Just curious, has anyone else been following the recent outpouring of drama concerning GRRM and his infamous work rate? There's been a fair few articles on the subject, most of which are seemingly torn between either praising the man or attempting to form a lynch mob.

Pretty intense, but intensely interesting for anybody else desperate for the next book. Yeah, so anyway, here's a set of links to the two articles that really got the crazy train rolling...
In Defense of George R.R. Martin and,
In Offense of George R.R. Martin

Sure the artist can go at their own pace. But as I mentioned two years (!) ago, the Robert Jordan thing really shows the downside of commiting to a mutli volume epic.

I have gone right off these sorts of books now and only commit to reading them if I know there is a finished set. ASOIAF is the only exception to this rule.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to O_Goncho)
Post #: 26
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 5/3/2009 4:40:23 PM   
elab49

I stopped reading at the third because of the delays. I've got them all - but I'm going to leave it to one go if it ever finally finishes. I'm not surprised at the antis though - the books are so good you do really press to read the next one in line. And if he will go off and do smaller side projects and release things in bits (I have an old D&D mag that had chapters from the next almost a year before it came out, the first run of the Hedge Knight, Dreamsongs all that stuff.

I'd rather reread Fevre Dream and just wait to be able to read this in one go. Bit of a DVD boxset approach

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 5/3/2009 9:07:15 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

The TV forum has plenty of threads on shows that are still pretty far away from actual production - stuff like the Pacific based Band of Brothers thing. Even the Wire peeps thing in New Orleans. So it'd mean your thread would get in first and be the 'official' one

I was just about to say that.  Poor Mafyou, it's only taken a year and a half for a reply. 

Set up a thread in small screen and enjoy being the first to talk about it.

That's me that is!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 6/3/2009 8:44:59 PM   
BlueBalls

I've been thinking about buying A Game of Thrones for a while now, its only 4.79 on amazon and seeing all the positivity its getting here I mught just buy it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 29
RE: A Song of Ice and Fire - 7/3/2009 2:29:34 PM   
O_Goncho

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I stopped reading at the third because of the delays. I've got them all - but I'm going to leave it to one go if it ever finally finishes. I'm not surprised at the antis though - the books are so good you do really press to read the next one in line. And if he will go off and do smaller side projects and release things in bits (I have an old D&D mag that had chapters from the next almost a year before it came out, the first run of the Hedge Knight, Dreamsongs all that stuff.

I'd rather reread Fevre Dream and just wait to be able to read this in one go. Bit of a DVD boxset approach

I wish I had the restrait to adopt the same approach, but unfortunately I'm still too much in love with Westros to wait it out for what could (you know, maybe) be another ten+ years in the making.

Sigh. Still, at least it (briefly) made his own blog a little more interesting again.

< Message edited by O_Goncho -- 7/3/2009 2:30:05 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> A Song of Ice and Fire Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI