Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Blade Runner

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Blade Runner Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Blade Runner - 13/11/2009 9:56:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Just to keep the thread of one of the greatest films ever made active, I post to you this from Snake-Eyes' collection...

How can I get a copy?!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 91
RE: Blade Runner - 13/11/2009 9:59:41 PM   
Olaf

Post some interior pages PLEEEAAASE. I need to see more of this artwork.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 92
RE: Blade Runner - 13/11/2009 10:03:33 PM   
directorscut

If Deckard is a replicant why does he constantly get his ass handed to him by other replicants?  Why does he not show any of the superhuman strength and instinct other replicants do?  If the police department want a replicant to do this job surely they would have got/made one more suited to it than Deckard?

And for me if Deckard is a replicant then that takes away from the films theme of what it means to be human, can a machine become more human than man and Deckard's relationships with Rachel and Batty.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 93
RE: Blade Runner - 13/11/2009 11:07:55 PM   
Snake-Eyes

homersimpson_esq, I'm not sure where you can get copies of the comic (I got mine yeeeeears ago at a comic marketplace), try eBay?

Olaf, check this out -
http://www.brmovie.com/Comic/index.htm

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 13/11/2009 11:10:15 PM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 94
RE: Blade Runner - 13/11/2009 11:09:12 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm gonna have to pop in the blu-ray after I finish watching ROBOCOP.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 13/11/2009 11:11:28 PM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 95
RE: Blade Runner - 13/11/2009 11:25:28 PM   
Snake-Eyes

This is another cool item from my collection...

The Official Movie Magazine from waaaaay back when it was released. It has loads of awesome behind-the-scenes photos and interviews. GOLD DUST!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 96
RE: Blade Runner - 13/11/2009 11:33:50 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I also have this buried somewhere in my collection -

I've seen it sell on eBay for crazy money!

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 13/11/2009 11:35:26 PM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 97
RE: Blade Runner - 14/11/2009 1:31:41 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Olaf, check this out -
http://www.brmovie.com/Comic/index.htm

Nice one, cheers!

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 98
RE: Blade Runner - 14/11/2009 1:46:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Snake Eyes, you bastard. That's some fraking cool stuff right there.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 99
RE: Blade Runner - 15/11/2009 9:12:37 PM   
Sphinx

Have you got an Aladdin's cave going on or what?

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 100
RE: Blade Runner - 15/11/2009 9:15:34 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

Have you got an Aladdin's cave going on or what?

Actually I have in a way Sphinx! I'd actually like to start a thread / post pics of my collectibles. Can you (or by all means anybody else) please PM me and let me know how to post pics please? Thanks gang!

THEN you'll get to see Snake-Eyes' 'Aladdin's Cave'!

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 15/11/2009 9:16:04 PM >

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 101
RE: Blade Runner - 20/12/2009 12:22:22 AM   
MI Cruise

Just watched The Final Cut, this was my second time seeing Blade Runner, the first time was 2 years ago and was the Directors Cut, I cant remember the ending to the DC whether it was the same to the FC's?

This is Scott's best movie and he still has not been able to top it, the new Robin Hood just looks like a mixture of Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven.

Deckard being a replicant is a no brainer espcially with that dream sequence with the unicorn, although that would mean he's only been around for approx 2-3 years, so how come people in the police department not know his background.
After the scene where Deckard picks up the unicorn at the end, theres an understanding look on his face as if he has confirmed his own suspicons, that was what told me 100% that he was a replicant.

''Time to die''

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 102
RE: Blade Runner - 20/12/2009 11:45:37 AM   
Virgil Brigman

Man, I caught the last half hour of this last night on BBC2, and I was sucked in. Truly one of the greats.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 103
RE: Blade Runner - 4/1/2010 4:38:55 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Virgil Brigman

Man, I caught the last half hour of this last night on BBC2, and I was sucked in. Truly one of the greats.

ahh, so it was on TV while I was away? cool. I'm gonna be watching it again soon. Blu-Ray was created for classics such as this.

(in reply to Virgil Brigman)
Post #: 104
RE: Blade Runner - 4/1/2010 7:51:02 PM   
hampstead bandit

anyone else play "Blade Runner" the video game on the PC?

It was a solid detective / mystery thriller in the "point and click" style of gaming

really enjoyed it, although I got stuck about 3/4 of the way through and had to give up..

the most stunning / haunting moment of the video game was going outside of Deckard's apartment onto the balcony and viewing the street below (the same shot you see in the film) with the awesome Vangelis music playing, and the occasional vehicle flying past below

so much atmosphere for a video game ;)

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 105
RE: Blade Runner - 5/1/2010 7:02:50 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I just snared this little cutie -

Snake-Eyes - Obtainer of Rare Antiquities.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 106
RE: Blade Runner - 7/1/2010 7:51:54 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

It was a solid detective / mystery thriller in the "point and click" style of gaming

really enjoyed it, although I got stuck about 3/4 of the way through and had to give up..

the most stunning / haunting moment of the video game was going outside of Deckard's apartment onto the balcony and viewing the street below (the same shot you see in the film) with the awesome Vangelis music playing, and the occasional vehicle flying past below

Aye, quality game. I should really try to get hold of a copy from somewhere. Multiple endings as well, where the main character could turn out to be either human or replicant, depending on the choices made throughout the game. Great use of the movies locations as well...actually it's probably one of the best movie tie-ins ever crafted for us gamers!

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 7/1/2010 7:52:41 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 107
RE: Blade Runner - 8/1/2010 1:12:33 AM   
somekindof_battery

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

Deckard being a replicant is a no brainer espcially with that dream sequence with the unicorn, although that would mean he's only been around for approx 2-3 years, so how come people in the police department not know his background.
After the scene where Deckard picks up the unicorn at the end, theres an understanding look on his face as if he has confirmed his own suspicons, that was what told me 100% that he was a replicant.

''Time to die''

It's the way he just nods, "yeh figures I am a Replicant". But it's not despair on his face interestingly, he just excepts it and moves on.

Love the music over the end credits as well.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 108
RE: Blade Runner - 8/1/2010 2:13:34 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I can see I'm going to have to give 2010 a Blade Runner viewing. 

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 109
RE: Blade Runner - 8/1/2010 8:17:10 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

Aye, quality game. I should really try to get hold of a copy from somewhere. Multiple endings as well, where the main character could turn out to be either human or replicant, depending on the choices made throughout the game. Great use of the movies locations as well...actually it's probably one of the best movie tie-ins ever crafted for us gamers!

The game was ace!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 110
RE: Blade Runner - 17/1/2010 7:40:36 AM   
AcE_3000

Hey, is anyone here going to say what they thought of the movie? I thought it was great: a masterpiece of noir and sci-fi.

"Who left the fridge open?"

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 111
RE: Blade Runner - 17/1/2010 11:10:57 AM   
KaeruJim

This one's almost obligatory for anyone remotely interested in sci-fi.

Watched the final cut recently; looks awesome in HD on today's big screens. The score and visuals form a heady and immersive experience.

Totally agree with a previous post about Deckard and the replicant identity: for me the film's integrity centres on him being ultimately frail and human, otherwise his interactions with the other characters lose their impact and inconsistencies appear. Ridley thought he should be a replicant and Harrison thought he shouldn't; apparently the cause of some tension on set but I'm with Indy on this one.

Apart from this not-so-subtle nudging in the wrong direction from Scott, the film has other flaws. It falls from genius into pretentiousness a few times, and as with some other of his work the dialogue is sometimes a bit forced. The fact that several endings have been released probably tells you it doesn't have a terribly neat finale, especially if you don't agree with Scott's interpretation of Deckard's identity. There's also a few contradictions; there are Tokyo-esque bodily throngs when it suits the camera, and then absolute desolation and an exodus of humanity in most other places, which can seem incongruous. Some of the flash-back scenes don't keep pace with the original ("My mother?...")

But even with these flaws, this is celluloid diamond. It is so rare to have a film with looks stunning, sounds awesome and has a story which tackles some of the "big questions" with intelligence and panache. The passing of each character is marked with loving homage, individually crafted death scenes which fit perfectly. The actors give memorable performances throughout.

I hope people keep on discovering Blade Runner, and it really should be held as a benchmark to modern sci-fi.

(in reply to AcE_3000)
Post #: 112
BLADE RUNNER - 24/9/2010 9:29:13 PM   
Snake-Eyes

As far as I know, only one of these custom-built babies exists...

I think it was given as a gift to either Paul M Sammon or Charles de Lauzirika. Man, I need one of these sitting on my shelf to make me a happier Ninja....

(in reply to KaeruJim)
Post #: 113
RE: BLADE RUNNER - 24/9/2010 9:33:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

Doesn't Darabont have one? He showed it off on  the DVD extras. 

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 24/9/2010 9:34:14 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 114
BLADE RUNNER - 24/9/2010 10:46:57 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Doesn't Darabont have one? He showed it off on the DVD extras.

That's correct, he does. I just remembered that. But the one pictured here is constructed from LEGO Technics.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 115
RE: BLADE RUNNER - 24/9/2010 10:56:07 PM   
Snake-Eyes

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 116
RE: BLADE RUNNER - 24/9/2010 11:05:58 PM   
vad3r

One of the greatest sci-fi films ever made.
So so good.

It's a shame Scott has only made 3 good films.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 117
RE: BLADE RUNNER - 25/9/2010 8:19:43 AM   
Dr Lenera

I haven't liked much of his recent stuff much [especially the dreary Robin Hood, and Gladiator is rather overrated imo], but I think he's made more good films than 3!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 118
RE: BLADE RUNNER - 25/9/2010 11:38:25 AM   
evil bill

Forgot to post a review on this excellent thread of  Ridley Scott's classic,and like the Dr i know Scott made more than 3 great movies,though i think he has only made 3 Masterpieces of cinema history,this being one.
BLADE RUNNER 1982

In a cyberpunk vision of the future, man has developed the technology to create replicants, human clones used to serve in the colonies outside Earth but with fixed lifespans. In Los Angeles, 2019, Deckard(Harrison Ford) is a Blade Runner, a cop who specializes in terminating replicants. Originally in retirement, he is forced to re-enter the force when six replicants escape from an off world colony to Earth.The city that Deckard must search for his prey is a huge, sprawling, bleak vision of the future. This film questions what it is to be human, and why life is so precious.

I have always loved science fiction in films and TV programmes,even shows like shows Star Trek,the original and the Star Wars trilogy,but these pale in comparsion to Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey' which is the greatest Sci/Fi of them all I am not hesitant to say that i am not that keen on Spielberg's definition of SF- ET, Close Encounters etc. A L I E N  1979 original now that was a great Sci/Fi horror movie,and i never thought Scott could come close to matching this.Well as a Sci/Fi movie,it is one of the greatest films ever made, up there with 2001: A Space Odyssey,and for me Scotts second greatest movie ever.Though misunderstood when it first hit theaters, the influence of Ridley Scott's mysterious, film noir sci/fi has deepened with time. A visually remarkable, achingly human sci-fi masterpiece. Upon 1st viewing back in 1982,i disliked the vocie over that explained everything,and that happy bullshit ending,but was still blown away. You might expect a futuristic run-of-the-mill 80's shoot-em-up  like of Outland,say,but it's so much more. What you get is a film so deep that it is difficult to grasp the 1st viewing. There is so much symbolism, introverts and questions that i was left stunned. The film is hauntingly beautiful, and i doubt that these screen landscapes could be reproduced today as well as they were here. The plot centres around the question of humanity- something we take for granted. It is not an auctioneer, which was probably what audiences expected when they walked into theatres in the 80s, causing the film to fail commercially. Blade Runner is not for the adrenaline junkie, nor for those who like flashy gadgets and bright explosions, with a healthy Hollywood-made dose of convincing storyline spoon-fed for their satisfaction.
From the opening shot of a Los Angeles cityscape at night in the year 2019, it is clear that Scott has conjured up something special. The film is set in the apocalyptic, suggestively post-war future Earth, where there seems to be a lag in technology. Perhaps there was a war which ravaged the world, forcing humans to migrate,and rebuild, explaining the retro technology. If you're planning to take sides in this film, you will be pleasantly if not unnervingly surprised. There are no sides. There is no good and evil. Harrison Ford plays the reluctant, burned out Blade Runner very well. His character is drab and dull, as it was meant to be, look at him in the Spinner on the way to Tyrell corporation- pure boredom.And going by interviews after the movie's release,he admitted to having no interest and a dislike of Scott,and it works in the most crazy way. He hates his job in fantasy and in real life,he hated this movie,it was long hours and draining in every way. Rutger Hauer gives the greatest performance of his career  in this film, playing Roy Batty, Replicant 'project manager'. He dominates the later part of the film. He is cold, stiff and evil, but in the end speech, one of the Greatest endings i have ever seen, his performance alone makes this film a Classic.The nail thought the hand and the releasing of the Dove is pure religious symbolism,along with many other scenes.If you like Roy is the son and of course Tyrell the creator.Sean Young is also superb in her role as the ultimate replicant woman who Deckard falls in love with.Not forgeting also Daryl Hannah as the beautiful but deadly Pris,in an outstanding all time best,that is of course till Kill Bill.
The ending is beautiful and now complete with the Final Cut, and the score by Vangelis is perfect.All in all, the film is excellent,brilliantly directed by Ridley Scott, innovative and stunning imagery underlined by Vangelis' superb score, and plenty to think about.The wizardry of Designers Lawrence G. Paull, Douglas Trumbull and Syd Mead,is awesome,and Doug worked with the best on 2001. These days, it's almost impossible to find a gritty science fiction motion picture that doesn't owe at least a small debt to Blade Runner's visual style.This was the best Sci/Fi movie of the 80's and beyond,and the Final Cut is without doubt Scotts vision finally complete.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 119
BLADE RUNNER - 25/9/2010 2:45:34 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Good write-up bill. I find that the older I get the more I love this film. It really is the standard by which so many other works of Science Fiction are measured - not just film but TV, comics, computer games - all owe a huge debt to this film. I must add that Vangelis' score is as bill mentions, perfect; so rarely do visuals and score compliment each other so flawlessly.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Blade Runner Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI