Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Blade Runner

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Blade Runner Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 3:05:43 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya
Then perhaps Gaff is the true Blade Runner?

The thing I loved about Gaff is that he was always there. It wasn't until the ending that I thought just exactly what he was up to. Like you say, maybe HE was the true Bladerunner as he knew who Deckard really was and let him hunt the others down. A great, great performance by Olmos and this shot -

When he throws him his gun and turns around in the rain, along with the way it's scored, is one of my all time favourite sci-fi shots.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 31
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 3:16:27 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

quote:

The thing I loved about Gaff is that he was always there. It wasn't until the ending that I thought just exactly what he was up to. Like you say, maybe HE was the true Bladerunner as he knew who Deckard really was and let him hunt the others down. A great, great performance by Olmos and this shot -

When he throws him his gun and turns around in the rain, along with the way it's scored, is one of my all time favourite sci-fi shots.

That's a great moment, I think Olmos is brilliant in the role, he makes a lasting impression regardless of little screen time. The film is just full of so many otherworldly, almost dream-like shots, Scott and Cronenweth really knew how to aestheticize metropol vues and rainy weather. And Vangelis synth-score is just superb.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 32
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 3:22:51 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

The film is just full of so many otherworldly, almost dream-like shots, Scott and Cronenweth really knew how to aestheticize metropol vues and rainy weather. And Vangelis synth-score is just superb.

I know what you mean. I've never been able to really say what it is that makes the shots and look of Bladerunner so special, but you and me both know what it is (even if I can't exactly put it into words?!). There's just something about it, and that pic shows it perfectly. The huge ads always seemed quite peaceful to me, and combined with the rainfall and score it's really serene (even if it's a bustling city below).

Still to this day hasn't aged.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 33
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 3:44:04 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

The film is just full of so many otherworldly, almost dream-like shots, Scott and Cronenweth really knew how to aestheticize metropol vues and rainy weather. And Vangelis synth-score is just superb.

I know what you mean. I've never been able to really say what it is that makes the shots and look of Bladerunner so special, but you and me both know what it is (even if I can't exactly put it into words?!). There's just something about it, and that pic shows it perfectly. The huge ads always seemed quite peaceful to me, and combined with the rainfall and score it's really serene (even if it's a bustling city below).

Still to this day hasn't aged.

Very true my friend, the film has a timeless quality that remains forever appealing, I find myself completely emerged in it every time I watch it. I agree with you that many of the shots have an almost soothing quality, Scott's amalgam of cyberpunk and noir is immensely attractive to look at.

I fear we have turned this into Pablo & Kaz's Blade Runner Appreciation Thread my friend.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 34
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 3:51:59 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

I fear we have turned this into Pablo & Kaz's Blade Runner Appreciation Thread my friend.

Was thinking that myself!

To get back on topic for everyone, so, er, Deckard eh? Replicant or what?

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 35
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 4:26:48 PM   
swordsandsandals

I actually found Vangelis' score irritating and distracting. It fitted with the film, but I just didn't like it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 36
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 5:16:44 PM   
Venkman

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I actually found Vangelis' score irritating and distracting. It fitted with the film, but I just didn't like it.

I think the score is one of the movies main assets, it's futuristic without being corny and it helps cement the films 'timeless' factor.

It's interesting how Harrison Ford so closely echoes his character in denying himself to be a replicant. Ford sees the film as a run of the mill science fiction film (he wanted more detective scenes etc) whereas Ridley Scott knew that he wanted something bigger.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 37
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 6:16:37 PM   
krudler

if i could live in one movies universe itd be blade runners,wearing trenchcoats,easting noodles in chinese bars on the sides of street with steam rising out of the ground and its pissing rain all the time,glorious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 38
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 7:32:56 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Venkman

I think the score is one of the movies main assets, it's futuristic without being corny and it helps cement the films 'timeless' factor.

I agree completely with this, the synth-score is very much a part of the films appeal, much of Vangelis' music is dated and a bit hokey, but his score for Blade Runner does indeed feel timeless.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 39
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 8:47:37 PM   
juanvasquez

I agree on the soundtrack. It's absolutely stunning. It sends shivers down my spine and works perfectly with one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 40
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 9:19:10 PM   
pablohoolio

In a kind of tenous link to Battlestar Galactica 2003 (Edward James Olmos notwithstanding!) they said that when making the new BSG Series they wanted their score to be the polar opposite of Star Trek themes, i.e. big, lush orchestral, and tone it down and make it futureistic, basically in their words 'to do to their scorewhat Ridley Scott and Vangeis had done in comparison to Star Wars'.

So the score is still influencial today. I really love it.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 41
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 9:49:11 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

quote:

As for other clues concerning Deckard, there's a scene where his eyes glow in a similar fashion to the replicants

Exactly.  It still amazes me that people still question his replicant status, when it's clearly shown he is.

I don't remember that scene, and I'm particularly observant.

But the unicorn stuff is pretty obvious if you've been paying attention.  An interesting side note: Gaff's line "It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?" is another clue, especially when he says it to Deckard.  I think the reason that Harrison doesn't want to admit that Deckard is a replicant is that that confirms him as the villain (retiring replicants left and right) in the light of Roy's more "justified" killings.  Deckard does it out of habit, Roy does it out of necessity.   That makes Roy more sympathetic to me at least.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 42
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 10:18:56 PM   
APovey

I remember watching Blade Runner as a kid, not appreciating the beauty of it at the time. I bought it on DVD only last week and how glad am I that I did. Visually brilliant for its time and I must say this is one of Harrison Ford's best performances.

Well done Ridley Scott.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 43
RE: Blade Runner - 28/5/2007 10:33:36 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

I don't remember that scene, and I'm particularly observant.

Not observant enough it would seem

It's in Deckards appartment when he is talking to Rachel. He is in the background of the shot out of focus and his eyes are reflecting yellow (like a dogs eyes do in the light) the same as Rachels and Roy Batty's do in other parts of the movie.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 44
RE: Blade Runner - 29/5/2007 7:39:19 PM   
Mikey C

I think we can safely agree that this is Favourite Films material now...

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

Post #: 45
RE: Blade Runner - 30/5/2007 4:24:33 AM   
elven

I thought the film was pretty shoddy when i first saw it i was like wtf?  that was say... 7 years ago, and i recently got my hands on the directors edition and boy did i enjoy it, even though the effects arnt as good as some of the stuff now, i just find them amazing in a way it dosnt distract me, ( eg some of the scenes in the phantom menace )

But what im surprised about is decaord (sorry for spelling donno how to spell his name) being a replicant, i wanna deny he is because in a way that makes him a nut job, at least the other guys were killing to survie this guy kills his own for nothing, but i could accept him being a replicant cause i just found it weird that a human would go with a replicant or w.e ( ohhh and skin jobs.... love how BSG use that in the newer seris :D)

Overall a very fun experience, stylish, gritty . and gripping, they dont mek em how they used to :D

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 46
RE: Blade Runner - 30/5/2007 9:22:10 PM   
Mikey C

Is there any news on the DVD? Are the rumours that it will contain some kind of super-new-cut true?

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to elven)
Post #: 47
RE: Blade Runner - 30/5/2007 9:28:47 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

Is there any news on the DVD? Are the rumours that it will contain some kind of super-new-cut true?

yes a new cut will feature on the dvd along with the original cut and directors cut of his movie. Perhaps the most anticipated dvd at the moment.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 48
RE: Blade Runner - 30/5/2007 9:38:42 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

yes a new cut will feature on the dvd along with the original cut and directors cut of his movie. Perhaps the most anticipated dvd at the moment.

Yeah, that and The Monster Squad

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 49
RE: Blade Runner - 2/6/2007 1:39:46 AM   
krudler

you mean this set,awesome isnt it

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 50
RE: Blade Runner - 11/7/2007 10:26:37 AM   
MartinBlank76

I watched blade runner for the first time in years and a couple of things struck me. In the scene where bryant and deckard are discussing the case and looking at the video files of the replicants why does bryant talk to deckard like he has never dealt with replicants before? Or is it because maybe deckard hasnt dealt with Nexus 6 before? Also since they have all the replicants identified why wasnt holden more careful when he was dealing with Leon? Or is that how they identified him? If so, how did they identify the rest of them?

In terms of deckards eyes glowing gold, I thought this was just a reflection of the light that keeps shining in from outside his apartment. I always preferred the 'he's a replicant' theory more and I love the way you can argue both sides of the coin from watching the film. 

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 51
RE: Blade Runner - 26/7/2007 4:00:44 PM   
Biggus

I purchsed this a couple of months ago and have had 2 viewings so far. Very intriguing stuff. The article in last month's Empire definitely provided me with more food for thought. I liked the interview with Rutger Hauer in particular. I don't feel I've seen the film enough times to discuss it at any great length but I can tell it's a film that I will continually come back to and discover something new about. Looking forward to the final cut.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 52
RE: Blade Runner - 27/7/2007 4:24:10 AM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

I don't feel I've seen the film enough times to discuss it at any great length

You've never seen this film enough, mate. It's been my favourite since I first saw it in '84 on video - even with the voiceover  - and I estimate that I've watched it over 200 times but I still find something new.
The best viewing was when the Director's Cut got a brief but oh-so-rewarding theatrical release and I was able to see it on the big screen. It was a Tuesday afternoon and I was the only person in the screening, which is just as well because I could not wipe the huge, idiotic grin from my face, the beauty of the cityscapes make you want to cry.

Back on topic, Deckard IS a replicant. If the director says he is, then he is and I don't understand why people still debate it. I think that Scott plays up the ambiguity because of the debate, I don't believe it was his intention to mystify it.

What bothers me is what happened to Scott after Blade Runner and Alien. Sure, he's made some good films (Matchstick Men, Gladiator) but he's got absolutely nowhere near those two since.

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 27/7/2007 4:43:38 AM >

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 53
RE: Blade Runner - 31/7/2007 8:35:13 PM   
Deviation

I loved Blade Runner: Director's Cut. Great film. What pisses me off is why they made the strings so visible in that scene. Really annoyed me.

And Deckard is a replicant. The fact that Gaff left him a unicorn at the end only means that he knows about Deckard's dream, so it must have been implanted.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 54
RE: Blade Runner - 31/7/2007 9:45:01 PM   
Biggus

Just finished watched this again and it was my most enjoyable viewing so far. Roy's final scene on the roof seemed much  more poignant than before. The recent articles in Empire and discussions here on the forum have definitely helped me appreciate the different themes and aspects of the film.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 55
RE: Blade Runner - 1/8/2007 8:17:40 AM   
homersimpson_esq

How did I miss this thread?

The Deckard: replicant or not? argument hinges on which version you watch. In the Theatrical Cut it appears he is not. In the Director's Cut, he is. Whichever way makes you happiest. Personally, I like that he is. Just because he isn;t human, doesn't mean we can't identify with him. And indeed, it makes his character sadder. Also, that very question of when something is considered human is raised with Deckard himself.

I first watched Blade Runner as the theatrical cut, and loved it. Then I watched the Director's Cut and fell in love with it. It's such an incredibly layered film - although I've read the Sammon book, I'd forgotten about the animal connection. It harks back to the original Dick novel, where animals are a prized resource, and many resort to owning electric versions - hence the electric sheep of the title. Arguably, the owl is connected with Rachel, which means that only the replicants have associated animals...

In a way, Blade Runner is like the multi-layered, complex companion to the simpler, but no less brilliant, Alien, When I say simple, I don't mean in a pejorative sense, but in a purer way. The story is simply told, although the environment is complex. They both rank highly, and the more I watch Alien, the more it creeps up the list. Blade Runner is still number 1 tho.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 56
RE: Blade Runner - 5/8/2007 10:05:38 PM   
Paap28

Blade Runner really confused me as well I have one question whos apartment is it that Ford finds that snake scale?

" I believe that all of life's answers can be found in the right Spielberg film. "

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 57
RE: Blade Runner - 6/8/2007 6:45:15 PM   
homersimpson_esq

If I remember rightly, it's one of Leon's photos that Deckard finds. So, chances are it's Leon's apartment - which makes sense, as the replicants know each other.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 58
RE: Blade Runner - 6/8/2007 9:58:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

I have always felt it intresting how every replicant is given an animal, but Deckard is given a unicorn as his. While it is an animal, it is one of myth. The others have all existed in reality.

No idea what this means in the grand debate about Deckard but I think it must have been selected for a purpose beyond the is he/isn't he debate.  

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 59
RE: Blade Runner - 13/8/2007 5:12:22 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

quote:

I subscribe to that idea. I reckon Gaff captured Deckard and altered his memory to think that he's the Bladerunner, that way Gaff doesnt really put himself in much danger and will take the credit for any replicants that Deckard retires. I'd certainly do that if I was a Bladerunner.

On another note (((((((((((SPOILER))))))))) when and how does Batty klilled JF Sebastian, Im drawing a complete blank! I know its right after he kills Tyrell.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Blade Runner Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI