Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 8:46:51 AM   
jonson

Aw for fucks sake, who is in Star Trek anymore? Isn't it all these silly offshoots now, Deep Space something and another one I can't remember.
William Shatner is about 50 stone, the rest are all dead. That bald one from Xmen doesn't do it anymore, then there was that one with the beard who looks like one of my mates (you know, that one) and then I'm sure I flicked it on once and Whoopi fucking |Goldberg was working behind a bar
Surely it's only Star Trek by name, therefore it could just be another space movie which you'll find about 100 similar DTV movies in your local blockbuster. The Wrath of Khan wasn't bad and I must admit to enjoying the one with Malcolm McDowell in, but apart from that they're pretty average movies. Very average in fact.

My first movie at the cinema was The Motion Picture in 1979. It nearly killed my love for the movies before it had even started. What a dire, dire film. Woeful. They should have stopped there IMO.
The only good thing to have happened in the 28 years since is the term "taking Captain Picard to warp speed" being a euphemism for wanking.

< Message edited by jonson -- 15/6/2007 8:47:07 AM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 31
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 9:32:54 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Aw for fucks sake, who is in Star Trek anymore? Isn't it all these silly offshoots now, Deep Space something and another one I can't remember.
William Shatner is about 50 stone, the rest are all dead. That bald one from Xmen doesn't do it anymore, then there was that one with the beard who looks like one of my mates (you know, that one) and then I'm sure I flicked it on once and Whoopi fucking |Goldberg was working behind a bar
Surely it's only Star Trek by name, therefore it could just be another space movie which you'll find about 100 similar DTV movies in your local blockbuster. The Wrath of Khan wasn't bad and I must admit to enjoying the one with Malcolm McDowell in, but apart from that they're pretty average movies. Very average in fact.

My first movie at the cinema was The Motion Picture in 1979. It nearly killed my love for the movies before it had even started. What a dire, dire film. Woeful. They should have stopped there IMO.
The only good thing to have happened in the 28 years since is the term "taking Captain Picard to warp speed" being a euphemism for wanking.

Well......double dumb ass on you.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 32
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 10:14:25 AM   
jonson

You don't agree then Ti? 

whispers......Ti is a Trekkie. He goes to bed with his Spock ears on....

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 33
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 10:20:34 AM   
Felix

Havent you seen him in his Riker outfit jonson? Quite dashing actually...

I think the real question is are Empire going to have 5 Shark Attack 3 covers next February to celebrate the 5th anniversay of that milestone event in cinema? We could have one of the shark, one of John Barrowman, one of the lovely Ms McShane, one of the submaring guy and one of the fans. Well, jonson.... 

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 34
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 10:25:15 AM   
Timon

I do not go to bed with my Spock ears on......but I do only go to bed with green skinned women.......on a bit of a dry streak at the moment strangely enough...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 35
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 6:20:20 PM   
greekned

The last Star Trek wasn't great, with the Picard mini-me. He wasn't very small, but at least he was evil. 

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 36
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 7:23:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: greekned

The last Star Trek wasn't great, with the Picard mini-me. He wasn't very small, but at least he was evil. 

Pfffftttt...Khan would have crushed him between his pecs.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to greekned)
Post #: 37
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 7:58:07 PM   
greekned

Didn't Captain Frank Drebin beat Khan in Star Trek VII  ?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 38
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 8:00:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I don't get the joke...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to greekned)
Post #: 39
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 30/4/2008 11:01:03 AM   
Dukez

Can't wait to see Australia's Eric Bana and Star Trek veteran, Leonard Nimoy

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 40
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 30/4/2008 11:32:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I don't get the joke...

It took me nearly a year, but I now understand the joke.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 41
RE: Empire ever gonna put Space:1999 on the cover? - 30/4/2008 12:35:48 PM   
Mason Verger

Forget Star Trek, I want a Space:1999 thirty three years anniversary special.

They had a cooler theme tune:

YouTube - Space 1999 Intro

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 30/4/2008 5:29:52 PM >

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 42
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 30/4/2008 2:32:35 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't get the joke...

It took me nearly a year, but I now understand the joke.

As opposed to what, thirty seconds?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 43
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 1/8/2008 11:02:34 AM   
jackcarter

Regarding the whole mainstream trek thing in the last issue and in the letters of this issue..I have to agree with the guy writing about TNGs ratings and the films being big at the box office (esp in america) - the 1st one in 1979 is the most successful when adjusted and made around $370 million worldwide in todays money - that's more than Batman Begins..plus had all the BK meals etc…the action packed II and III were also big in the states but did noticeably less than the 1st overseas..(guess foreign audiences who went to the first snorefest film thinking it was star wars swore never to see another)..then 'the one with the whales' was really successful and made the most box office (although not as much as TMP when adjusted I think)…that's probably the most mainstream trek film of all and made Paramount go ahead with TNG tv series….V was terrible and that was reflected in the box office doing a lot less than any of the previous ones…VI was quite successful though doing alot better…then with TNG - Generations did abit more due to the tv series being quite popular at the time plus it had Kirk. First Contact did even better..i think its 2nd biggest trek film behind IV before adjusting….but the last 2 wernt so big…in fact Nemesis flopped barely making its budget back..not even Star Trek V managed that

I think you can convert the BO figures on box office mojo to show what they would be now

However the new one due May 09 should be the most mainstream of all (original crew returns, Abrams directing, massive budget, films stars appearing etc)…so lets have some covers soon Empire! I guess if it had stayed on target for xmas release we'd be seeing some covers next month or so…however now it got moved to May I'm guessing next year we'll see at least one Empire Trek cover...do i even hear multiple covers a la WatchMen/TDK etc? (who knows maybe Emp will go Trek crazy and do 3 different months like whenever there was a star wars prequel! )

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 3/8/2008 4:38:25 PM >

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 44
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 3/8/2008 4:36:13 PM   
jackcarter

according to the-numbers.com, when you adjust for inflation, The Motion Picture was the most popular Trek film, $225.4 million in today's dollars (US only)

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/inflation.php

Here are all the Treks in the top 598 since 1977 (these are inflation adjusted domestic US only):

Motion Picture - $225.4m
Voyage Home - $200.7m
Wrath of Khan - $187.0m
Search for Spock - $156.5m
First Contact - $143.0m
Generations - $127.4m
Undiscovered Country - $122.7m
Insurrection - $101.7m

Not surprisingly, Final Frontier and Nemesis failed to make the list.

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 3/8/2008 4:41:34 PM >

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 45
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 5/8/2008 10:14:01 AM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I honestly can't believe the immaturity of some people in this thread, comparing Trek to Wars, "it's for nerds"... well guess what? You're on an internet message board. I applaud jackcarter for tolerating all these trolls, and hopefully we will see multiple Trek covers next year.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 46
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 23/10/2008 7:50:48 PM   
jackcarter

No Star Trek II in the top 500 movies?

Wow…I was positive Khan would feature in there somewhere…and that there might even be a Star Trek cover at long last (that I would have gladly bought in addition to my GF subscription issue…something I would never normally do)…but….no…

Closest it got was on one someones top ten list printed on p146

Im stunned…did Khan just miss out or what??

I knew I should’ve sent in multiple lists with Khan in each section!

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 47
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 23/10/2008 9:44:33 PM   
HIM

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 48
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/10/2008 12:04:52 AM   
admuz

Surely they should give the cast of Enterprise a shot at being in a Star Trek movie?

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 49
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/10/2008 3:36:50 PM   
The Hooded Man

As much as I love Khan it was the point where the Trek universe shrank and moderate success was enough to get by, relatively low budgets were the order of the day rather than an epic sense of wonder that had been the order of the day up until that point.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to admuz)
Post #: 50
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 25/10/2008 4:10:22 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: admuz

Surely they should give the cast of Enterprise a shot at being in a Star Trek movie?

Haha - there was a (brief) period where that was actually being considered...and also just prior to the new Abrams movie, Rick Berman was prepping a prequel trilogy set before Enterprise at the beginnings of the Federation…

Thank god that didn’t happen

(in reply to admuz)
Post #: 51
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 25/10/2008 4:16:24 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

As much as I love Khan it was the point where the Trek universe shrank and moderate success was enough to get by, relatively low budgets were the order of the day rather than an epic sense of wonder that had been the order of the day up until that point.

You mean The Motion Picture…? it wasnt that bad and was fairly successful at the BO (and has aged quite well...its certainly better regarded by fans now than when it came out ) but compared to Khan its terrible. Reducing the movie budget is what saved star trek..another big budget film was out of the question (until now) after TMPs bad reviews....and the moderate budget for part 2 is what made them look to cut price tv producer Harve Bennet who put together the excellent film.

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 25/10/2008 4:23:21 PM >

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 52
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 28/10/2008 10:39:38 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

You mean The Motion Picture…? it wasnt that bad and was fairly successful at the BO (and has aged quite well...its certainly better regarded by fans now than when it came out ) but compared to Khan its terrible. Reducing the movie budget is what saved star trek..another big budget film was out of the question (until now) after TMPs bad reviews....and the moderate budget for part 2 is what made them look to cut price tv producer Harve Bennet who put together the excellent film.

Oh I totally agree, without the reduced budget for the sequels I think Trek would be dead now. I would not be surprised to see something similar for the Superman franchise to be honest.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 53
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 28/10/2008 2:28:08 PM   
Grahamc

Believe.

Post #: 54
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 28/10/2008 2:59:27 PM   
jackcarter

oh my god!!

Empires 1st Trek cover..i cant believe it! Hats off to Empire!!

thats a recreation of this Kirk and Spock pose too!

this is gonna be the most awesome issue of empire! (for me anyway)

(in reply to Grahamc)
Post #: 55
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 28/10/2008 4:45:42 PM   
The Hooded Man

Eh ... why does Spock look like Kryten from Red Dwarf? He looks terrible.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 56
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 29/10/2008 3:19:07 PM   
nexumaster

Oh holy jesus! Must i really have to put up with this...

Post #: 57
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 29/10/2008 3:26:28 PM   
jackcarter

Anyone got theirs yet via subscription or from the shops?

(in reply to nexumaster)
Post #: 58
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 29/10/2008 9:26:26 PM   
belowpar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Anyone got theirs yet via subscription or from the shops?

Picked up a copy from asda tonight. I'm not a huge Trek fan, but it looks like a cracking issue. 2-page silent running review!

“I killed the President of Paraguay with a fork, how have you been?”

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 59
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 30/10/2008 12:50:00 AM   
Spider

Can't believe I'm the first to point out that that is easily the worst cover ever. It looks absurd.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to belowpar)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI