Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 1:59:39 PM   
jackcarter

enough already with star wars - (30 covers?!) Each prequel got about 3 covers each and i'm sure the originals have had a few too.

lets have a few star trek covers...I expect to see a couple next year with Abrams movie coming out xmas 08 (which has got to be the most high profile Trek film since the first one back in 1979..)

Actually there should have been a cover for Generations (ok it wasnt that great but who knew b4 it came out? - u've had covers for Avengers, Godzilla, Lost in Space etc plus it was quite a big deal as it was TNGs first film and was the meeting of Kirk and Picard..surely worthy of taking the cover.....even TIME magazine gave it a cover - http://johnkemeny.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/1101941128_400.jpg)  and probably the brilliant First Contact too (and wtf did FC only get 3 frickin stars?! It was 4 or even 5 star entertainment...then u give the awful Insurrection - which is the worst of the 10 films..yeah worse than Final Frontier - 4 stars!!)

Also since its The Wrath of Khans 25th Anniversary this summer why dosnt Empire do a feature on this classic? (say in the dvd section or something)  Its the best Trek film of all, the most improved sequel of all time and is easily one of the best Sci Fi films ever made..(definately in the top 20)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 24/5/2007 3:55:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 3:45:09 PM   
Chris Hewitt

Does that Final Contact review rating still stand? I'm pretty sure it's now a four. Then again, I could just be making that up.

I'm sure that the new Trek film has every chance of making it onto the cover. But it's a ways off yet... good idea about Khan, though. We should do something to note the anniversary of a film that gives James and I so many moments of quotable pleasure.

Silly Empire man who asks BORING questions!

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 2
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 3:47:27 PM   
rikkie

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Chris Hewitt)
Post #: 3
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 3:47:34 PM   
skeletonjack

And you could change the name of the magazine to Starburst too!

Post #: 4
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 3:54:42 PM   
swordsandsandals

Star Trek is terrible though, and nerdier than Star Wars.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 5
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 4:03:39 PM   
Chris Hewitt

Perhaps, perhaps... but Wrath of Khan rocks. If you don't well up at Spock's death, then you're cold and inhuman. Much like Spock, then, I guess.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 6
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 4:04:10 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Hewitt

Does that Final Contact review rating still stand? I'm pretty sure it's now a four. Then again, I could just be making that up.

I'm sure that the new Trek film has every chance of making it onto the cover. But it's a ways off yet... good idea about Khan, though. We should do something to note the anniversary of a film that gives James and I so many moments of quotable pleasure.

Film Reviews (Popular Matches)

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Insurrection

Star Trek X: Nemesis

Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek VII: Generations

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

i agree with the ratings for Final Frontier, But i think First Contact should definately have been 4, Insurrection - 2, Nemesis - 2, Khan - 5,  Undiscovered Country - 4, Generations - 3, Motion Picture - 3 (especially the new Directors Cut) and the underated Search for Spock - 4...

wait up theres no review for Voyage Home? - that should be a 4 too

Post #: 7
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 4:12:27 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Star Trek is terrible though, and nerdier than Star Wars.

no more nerdier than Wars actually..

I agree with the fact that some Trek is terrible (Voyager, DS9, some of TNG, most of Enterprise and a couple of the films) but the classic series is well....classic..as are some of the films.

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 24/5/2007 4:34:20 PM >

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 8
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 4:50:01 PM   
words

quote:

Perhaps, perhaps... but Wrath of Khan rocks. If you don't well up at Spock's death, then you're cold and inhuman. Much like Spock, then, I guess.

My Wife point blank refuses to watch this movie now because it reduces her to a blubbering wreck every time.  

Post #: 9
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 4:51:35 PM   
Helen OHara

quote:

[engages nerd drive] But Chris, Spock is half-human. [reduces speed to impulse-geek]

But otherwise, I agree.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

Post #: 10
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 4:58:35 PM   
Chris Hewitt

You're absolutely right, Helen. I doff my geek cap to thee. And now I command thee, as Reviews Editor, to change the star ratings for First Contact, Insurrection and Wrath of Khan, and BMX Bandits IMMEDIATELY!

< Message edited by Felix -- 24/5/2007 4:59:36 PM >

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 11
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 4:59:54 PM   
Felix

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 12
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 5:08:36 PM   
rikkie

[ducks]

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 13
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 5:09:58 PM   
Timon

I guess Empire will deem to put Trek on the cover when they make a film worthy of being on the cover.

Unfortunately the last two haven't and while Wrath of Khan is much better than certain prequels, it just doesn't have the mass appeal that rastafarian frogs have.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 14
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 5:17:12 PM   
Helen OHara

quote:

You're absolutely right, Helen. I doff my geek cap to thee. And now I command thee, as Reviews Editor, to change the star ratings for First Contact, Insurrection and Wrath of Khan, and BMX Bandits IMMEDIATELY!

Command nothing - but those first three are a bit perplexing. BMX Bandits stands however, and will continue to languish in one star ignominy.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

Post #: 15
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 24/5/2007 5:22:41 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I guess Empire will deem to put Trek on the cover when they make a film worthy of being on the cover.

Unfortunately the last two haven't and while Wrath of Khan is much better than certain prequels, it just doesn't have the mass appeal that rastafarian frogs have.

oh i agree...the last 2 were pretty bad.

Its a shame First Contact didnt warrent a cover...

Wouldnt it be good if Empire did a special Wrath of Khan 25th Anniversary edition for next month eh?...yeah thats right...3 covers - one with Kirk (Shatner circa 1982 in all his hunky glory) one with Spock and one with Khan...and maybe a subscribers only one with a battle damaged enterprise or something..

Still wouldnt buy more than 1...but it'd be good.

Anyone care to do a photoshop thingy of a Star Trek (preferably Wrath of Khan) issue of Empire?

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 25/5/2007 9:57:56 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 5/6/2007 11:24:53 AM   
jackcarter

too late - its was Wraths 25th Anniversary yesterday!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32873

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 17
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 5/6/2007 11:41:40 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Really? There was nothing on the news about it!
Maybe its because nobody cares?

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 18
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 5/6/2007 11:54:52 AM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Really? There was nothing on the news about it!
Maybe its because nobody cares?

only to those who havent seen it i guess

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 19
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 5/6/2007 12:06:28 PM   
directorscut

If Shatner and Stewart can't make it onto an Empire cover in the roles that belong to them then it would a complete kick in the balls if some lame ass remake prequel with MTV teenagers did. Another indication of Empire's ageism policies, I suppose.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 20
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 5/6/2007 4:42:23 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

If Shatner and Stewart can't make it onto an Empire cover in the roles that belong to them then it would a complete kick in the balls if some lame ass remake prequel with MTV teenagers did. Another indication of Empire's ageism policies, I suppose.

I see you got your time machine working and went into the future to see the Star Trek movie!
Wow!
Did you get the lottery numbers while you were there?

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 21
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 5/6/2007 6:18:58 PM   
Sutty

Please. Never put Star Trek on the cover. Ugh!!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 22
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 5/6/2007 7:27:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

Khan isn't just a great Trek film, its a great film full stop. I still marvel at how tight the script is and how ecominc they are with the production but you still feel that it is an epic film (you could count the number of sets on your hands  - the Enterprise Bridge itself was reused three times in different ways). Its also one of the few summer blockbusters where the avaerge age of the cast must have been getting close to their late - 40's.

What sets apart the good Trek films from the bad (and I see them as seperate from the television shows) is how they tie in the macguffin with an over all theme. Khan has a genisis device which creates while the characters are all concerned about death. Compare how those ideas are weaved in and out in Khan (the glasses for instance) to Insurrection where it is so on the nose  it becomes annoying. The best Next Gen was First Contact - which when you boil it down is really about the rape of Picard by the Borg. But even there they need to throw in 'kooky' stuff which detracts rather than adds to the overall film.

I have a big soft spot for Trek films 2 - 6, even 5-  its a bad film, but a bad film with the line "What does God...need with a Starship?". They are the best designed (love the red uniforms) and the practical ships give it a weight the CGI of the last few don't have.

For me they should forget about Abrams - get Nicolas Meyer back to show everyone how to do Trek properly.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 23
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 6/6/2007 11:42:48 AM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Khan isn't just a great Trek film, its a great film full stop. I still marvel at how tight the script is and how ecominc they are with the production but you still feel that it is an epic film (you could count the number of sets on your hands  - the Enterprise Bridge itself was reused three times in different ways). Its also one of the few summer blockbusters where the avaerge age of the cast must have been getting close to their late - 40's.

What sets apart the good Trek films from the bad (and I see them as seperate from the television shows) is how they tie in the macguffin with an over all theme. Khan has a genisis device which creates while the characters are all concerned about death. Compare how those ideas are weaved in and out in Khan (the glasses for instance) to Insurrection where it is so on the nose  it becomes annoying. The best Next Gen was First Contact - which when you boil it down is really about the rape of Picard by the Borg. But even there they need to throw in 'kooky' stuff which detracts rather than adds to the overall film.

I have a big soft spot for Trek films 2 - 6, even 5-  its a bad film, but a bad film with the line "What does God...need with a Starship?". They are the best designed (love the red uniforms) and the practical ships give it a weight the CGI of the last few don't have.

For me they should forget about Abrams - get Nicolas Meyer back to show everyone how to do Trek properly.

Itd have been wonderful to hear that Meyer was directing Trek XI - However i have faith that Abrams will do a good job and (hopefully) bring to the screen a great Trek film (something that hasnt happened for the best part of 10 years)....He's gone on record saying that Khan is one of his favourite films...I've a suspicion he might be using Wrath of Khan as a kind of springboard for this prequel..(the militaristic tone, the Kobiashi Maru test, Carol Marcus etc)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 6/6/2007 11:43:45 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 24
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 6/6/2007 2:51:33 PM   
blackduck

The problem with TNG movies is that they were made for a wider non-trek audience and all of the series backstory was dumped. And with the exception of Patrick Stewart none of the cast belonged on the big screen.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 25
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 7/6/2007 1:15:44 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

The problem with TNG movies is that they were made for a wider non-trek audience and all of the series backstory was dumped. And with the exception of Patrick Stewart none of the cast belonged on the big screen.

all the TNG films felt like extended episodes put on the big screen (well all apart from First Contact )

The original films all felt like proper movies...

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 26
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 7/6/2007 1:50:31 PM   
JIm R

The cover when the time is right, for the launch next christmas, will come.

As is stated by most, it's waaaaay off at the moment, but I firmly believe we'll have a korker when it's ready.  The casting rumours alone set it apart from the last few.

Might I suggest the teaser poster that is up and running is used later this year when firmer news is readily available.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 27
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 13/6/2007 12:57:37 PM   
jackcarter

you mean this?

yeah i could see that on the cover - hopefully later this year when the cast is revealed...

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 13/6/2007 12:58:33 PM >

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 28
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 8:26:11 AM   
Orbital

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

The 30 starwars covers almost made me ill

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 29
RE: Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? - 15/6/2007 8:33:25 AM   
Felix

Really? You hide it so well...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Empire ever gonna put Star TREK on the cover? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI