Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 12/6/2007 10:58:53 PM   
jncorbett

Lots of fun, loved pretty much all of the last action-packed hour, and there was good comedy all the way through. Bringing Barbossa back definitely helped things too, as he was a signigicant part of the fun of the first film. Much more entertaining than the second, and the ending was great.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 241
RE: Set sail for escapist entertainment - 13/6/2007 7:20:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

You must be Gore Verbinski!
Although I don't think even he could praise this film as much as you have.

If Axel is Gore Verbinski. I must be Verbinski's mum, unable to find anything truly wrong with his work

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 242
RE: Set sail for escapist entertainment - 13/6/2007 10:24:03 AM   
stuieboy

I recall the first film kind of being fun yet over the last two movies that fun has been sucked out and it now takes itself waaaaayyyy to seriously. Not since Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions has two films left me cold and wishing they hadn't bothered.

Firstly you have a 2 hour 50 minute film with very little happening apart from a battle at the end and hell of a lot of talking. If it really is meant to be dark days for the pirates which could spell the end of them then I didn't feel it and didn't give a shit. Secondly Jack Sparrow. Depp's mugging feels so out of place with the tone of the film, its like a Marx brother wandering into Schindlers List. Thirdly the film is far to complicated for its own good, one double cross after another after another eventually leaving me scratching my head and wondering what the hell is going on before getting bored and not caring at all. Fourthly Is that a word) flat direction with no style. And finally Knightly and Bloom, put the two together and your still way off getting anything that resembles a full performance.

I could go on but I'm getting bored. A truly terrible excuse for a film in everyway. 

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 243
RE: Set sail for escapist entertainment - 13/6/2007 11:43:15 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

If Axel is Gore Verbinski. I must be Verbinski's mum, unable to find anything truly wrong with his†work

Are you serious? You can't find a single flaw in the Pirates trilogy?
You must have an arse of steel to sit through almost 8 hours of plotless garbage with a panto-level performance from Depp at the centre of it.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

Post #: 244
Love it !!! - 13/6/2007 2:44:07 PM   
darkflame07

i really enjoyed the third even if was a really log film it was worth, well i think so anyway, it was so funny its is the beat one ot of the three of them for definate, my fav bt was when jack multiplied himself that was so funny and ace !!!

Post #: 245
RE: Set sail for escapist entertainment - 13/6/2007 5:54:29 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

quote:

If Axel is Gore Verbinski. I must be Verbinski's mum, unable to find anything truly wrong with his work

Hey Mum can I get an apple if I make a fourth part.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

Post #: 246
RE: Love it !!! - 13/6/2007 6:05:35 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkflame07

i really enjoyed the third even if was a really log film it was worth, well i think so anyway, it was so funny its is the beat one ot of the three of them for definate, my fav bt was when jack multiplied himself that was so funny and ace !!!

Are you seven years old?
I weep for the future!

(in reply to darkflame07)
Post #: 247
RE: Love it !!! - 13/6/2007 6:59:19 PM   
OldGrey

I really don't understand the hate for the Pirates movies here !
Yes, Pirates 3 was a bit of a let down compared to 1 and 2, but I still managed to enjoy most of it. I didn't go to watch this film expecting a startling plot or intense character development, I went to put my brain on hold for a while, watch some larking about and a few good effects.
I did enjoy Captain Jack, I knew what to expect from Bloom and Knightley, I read the running time before I went in and the effects were equally as good as Pirates 2 (except the giant woman at the end - I bet even Gore watched that through his fingers!). Therefore, I really have no grounds to complain.

Overall it was entertaining guff, nothing more but nothing less either. (There seem to be a few posters here who went to watch it despite having disliked 1 and 2 - whats that about then? )  Perhaps people expected too much of the movie, but I really don't see why it - does what it says on the tin, just accept it for what it was, a bit of fun.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 248
RE: Love it !!! - 13/6/2007 10:51:11 PM   
stuieboy

Can someone explain to me how a film that starts of with mass hangings (even of a child) can be seen as fun?

Or when the ship turns upside down and a crew member falls which seems okay but they punctuate it with a cannon dropping on him for no reason. How is it that 'fun'?

Am I missing something?!

< Message edited by stuieboy -- 13/6/2007 10:52:07 PM >

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 249
RE: Love it !!! - 14/6/2007 12:56:04 AM   
The REAL Bozz

I think they mean fun as in you are not meant to read so much into it and as a whole (Kiddie hanging excluded) it was fun. Basic plot is Barabosa, Will and Elizabeth set out to rescue Jack which then leads to a comfrontation with the British who seek to destroy piracy. Meanwhile Will still seek's to free his father from Davy Jones ship of doom and the gang must try to convince a ton of odd pirate lords to join together with them or face extinction.

Have to say to Helen O Hara if she reads this that although I kept track of what was happening I understand you could not go into every motive of the character's as there are such twists and turns it would mean ruining them I guess.

The film was too long though and what is with everything being 'dark' and a 'trilogy' for that matter. Silly I think at times, more of a sequel to Dead Man's Chest than a end to a trilogy.  Good fun but hated that scene at the end of the credits....POINTLESS

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to stuieboy)
Post #: 250
RE: Love it !!! - 14/6/2007 5:29:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuieboy

Can someone explain to me how a film that starts of with mass hangings (even of a child) can be seen as fun?

Or when the ship turns upside down and a crew member falls which seems okay but they punctuate it with a cannon dropping on him for no reason. How is it that 'fun'?

Am I missing something?!

In much the same way that Star Wars is fun, despite the fact that whole planets of people get destroyed. Or Jurassic Park, even though the good guys get eaten, or The Lion King when a main character gets trampled to death.

quote:

quote:

quote:

You must have an arse of steel to sit through almost 8 hours of plotless garbage with a panto-level performance from Depp at the centre of it.

More or less. For whatever reason, I just love these 3 films, and I'm entertained throughout. I can't explain why, I can't justify it, I just do. Now I could go and and search faults if I wanted to, but in films that I find so damned enjoyable, deliberately looking for the things that aren't right seems, to me anyway, fruitless, especialy as they never really borthered me to begin with. The things that do concern me are less to do with the quality of the films, but just aspects of the story, and even then, I can't find anything I dislike in the first two films. In the third, scenes such as Calypso, Norrington's death and the outcome of the Will and Elizabeth story bother me greatly, but they're are counterbalanced by the rest of the film, all of which I found more than engaging.

Still, even looking at the films in terms of quality, there isn't that much that I could find fault with. For sure, Bloom and Knightley suck, by never enough to distract me and disengage me from what I'm watching. For the most part, the storylines don't bother me, the twists and turns are quite understandable and the script, it isn't Shakespeare but it's far from wooden. The score, effects and production design are all excellent, and the rest of the acting is, at worst agreeable. As for Depp and Sparrow, I'll come right out and say, it, I adore both the performance and the character, easily one of the most enjoyable performances I've ever seen. When I watch it I don't think "Oh look, there's Deep goofing off again", I just buy into his performance, and the films, completely. You might disagree, that's fine with me, but I love it.

I'd have no trouble at all placing these 3 films as highly as other fantasy/action trilogies - Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Back To the Future - and in actual fact, these franchises all have one instalment that is weaker than the other 2. Not so with Pirates, as even the problems I have in At World's End don't make it a less enjoyable experience.

In short, and I know I'm probably in the minority but I don't mind, stick me in front of a screen with all three films and I'll be a very happy bunny for 8 hours.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Axel Foley

quote:

quote:

Hey Mum can I get an apple if I make a fourth part.

You can have a whole bushel of apples if you make a fourth

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 14/6/2007 5:35:08 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to stuieboy)
Post #: 251
its not a washout but...... - 14/6/2007 1:45:07 PM   
filmburner30

iTS the supporting cast and Depp that make this film good but not great.
I found myself wanting more Depp and less Orlando and Keira ,that plot strand bored me rigid
On the other hand Geoffrey Rush is Clearly having a ball Playing Barbossa and Mckenszie Crook ,Kevin Mcnally,Tom Hollander,and Bill Nighy and of course the mighty Keef all add great performances on top of Depps wonderful Captain jack.
Yes Chow Yun Fat is Wasted as the Asian Pirate yes the film jumps around like a demented rabbit ,but i found this more rewarding than Spidey 3 let me tell you .

Post #: 252
its not a washout but...... - 14/6/2007 1:45:23 PM   
filmburner30

I found myself wanting more Depp and less Orlando and Keira ,that plot strand bored me rigid
On the other hand Geoffrey Rush is Clearly having a ball Playing Barbossa and Mckenszie Crook ,Kevin Mcnally,Tom Hollander,and Bill Nighy and of course the mighty Keef all add great performances on top of Depps wonderful Captain jack.
Yes Chow Yun Fat is Wasted as the Asian Pirate yes the film jumps around like a demented rabbit ,but i found this more rewarding than Spidey 3 let me tell you .

Post #: 253
its not a washout but...... - 14/6/2007 1:45:36 PM   
filmburner30

Post #: 254
RE: Love it !!! - 14/6/2007 5:33:12 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

quote:

Am I missing something?!

In much the same way that Star Wars is fun, despite the fact that whole planets of people get destroyed. Or Jurassic Park, even though the good guys get eaten, or The Lion King when a main character gets trampled to death.

Exactly. The Star Wars films were just as guilty of using mass murder plot threads within the overall fun format. When Alderaan gets obliterated there isnít too much sorrow shown, except for Leiaís reaction when threatened and Benís pained senses. The film just hops along into the Leia rescue and Death Star antics, which for me is the most exciting section of the film.

I think the hanging scene may have been superfluous to a degree, but it does show the pirate community to be noble and highlights the evil of Beckett, so that at the end you know the pirates have to make a stand.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

More or less. For whatever reason, I just love these 3 films, and I'm entertained throughout. I can't explain why, I can't justify it, I just do. Now I could go and and search faults if I wanted to, but in films that I find so damned enjoyable, deliberately looking for the things that aren't right seems, to me anyway, fruitless, especialy as they never really borthered me to begin with. The things that do concern me are less to do with the quality of the films, but just aspects of the story, and even then, I can't find anything I dislike in the first two films. In the third, scenes such as Calypso, Norrington's death and the outcome of the Will and Elizabeth story bother me greatly, but they're are counterbalanced by the rest of the film, all of which I found more than engaging.

Still, even looking at the films in terms of quality, there isn't that much that I could find fault with. For sure, Bloom and Knightley suck, by never enough to distract me and disengage me from what I'm watching. For the most part, the storylines don't bother me, the twists and turns are quite understandable and the script, it isn't Shakespeare but it's far from wooden. The score, effects and production design are all excellent, and the rest of the acting is, at worst agreeable. As for Depp and Sparrow, I'll come right out and say, it, I adore both the performance and the character, easily one of the most enjoyable performances I've ever seen. When I watch it I don't think "Oh look, there's Deep goofing off again", I just buy into his performance, and the films, completely. You might disagree, that's fine with me, but I love it.

I'd have no trouble at all placing these 3 films as highly as other fantasy/action trilogies - Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Back To the Future - and in actual fact, these franchises all have one instalment that is weaker than the other 2. Not so with Pirates, as even the problems I have in At World's End don't make it a less enjoyable experience.

In short, and I know I'm probably in the minority but I don't mind, stick me in front of a screen with all three films and I'll be a very happy bunny for 8 hours.

Iíd actually say the first film is a near perfect blockbuster. The plot is pitch perfect, the characters well drawn (I think even Bloom and Knightley are fine in the first part, he shy but growing as a hero and she the modern girl in the tight spot, very feisty and spirited), the comedy fits well and the action is just about right.

With parts two and three the plot has become unnecessarily complex and Bloom and Knightley do struggle (they are both supposed to have become darker and more tortured, but you could barely tell), but overall there is enough big entertainment there to keep things suitably exciting. Some of the set-pieces were fabulous and Depp IMO is consistently watchable at the least and genius at points.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

Post #: 255
RE: Love it !!! - 14/6/2007 7:15:12 PM   
pablohoolio

I wasn't goig to come in here as this series of films is so polarised I didn't think it was worth it, BUT I will say I enjoyed the first better than this one, this was just a big, fun, summer blockbuster with great effects. I enjoyed it and can't see for the life of me why people despise it so much?

I didn't have a clue what was going on when everyone started double crossing, triple crossing each other, the plot was poorly conceived, but it was a fun film. Not the greatest of trilogies at all, but still good.

What I will say is that Sci-Fi now Magazine gave it 1 out of 5, which lets face it, is an attention seeking review. Its not great, but it's not worthy of just 1 star IMO.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 256
At World's End = AWE-SOME - 14/6/2007 7:52:48 PM   
Baron Duke

At World's End is in my opinion, the best movie in the POTC series. I never thought it was too long and the comedy was a lot sharper, Keira and Orlando held their own when Johnny Depp was off screen (mainly Keira Knightley who proved to be better in this one, although there was quite a lot of her). But the way I saw it was that Jack Sparrow dominated the 1st film, Will the 2nd and Keira the 3rd. The support was brilliant from Bill Nighy, Tom Hollander and Geoffrey Rush and...the monkey!
Great visuals, great acting from Johnny Depp as always and a fitting end to a story. In my opinion, the POTC franchise so far hasn't let its guard down too badly. And the final action sequence in At World's End is spectacular and one of the best action sequences, in my opinion, put to film. Hopefully there will be a 4th one and even more.

If I chose this or Spider-Man 3, both films I enjoyed very much, Id say Pirates 3 is better in terms that it doesn't have loads of flaws compared to Spidey 3.

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 257
RE: Love it !!! - 14/6/2007 11:26:56 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

I wasn't goig to come in here as this series of films is so polarised I didn't think it was worth it, BUT I will say I enjoyed the first better than this one, this was just a big, fun, summer blockbuster with great effects. I enjoyed it and can't see for the life of me why people despise it so much?

I didn't have a clue what was going on when everyone started double crossing, triple crossing each other, the plot was poorly conceived, but it was a fun film. Not the greatest of trilogies at all, but still good.

What I will say is that Sci-Fi now Magazine gave it 1 out of 5, which lets face it, is an attention seeking review. Its not great, but it's not worthy of just 1 star IMO.

You didn't find the fact that this film was about 2 hours of talking and 30 minutes of noisy, nothing-new action at all annoying, Pablo?

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 258
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 5:18:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I saw it for the second time today and I'd say it consists of two hours of entertaining talk, punctuated by some decent action scenes, including my favourite scene from the whole trilogy, culminating with one of the most entertaining and, in terms of realism (in the context of the films) flawless action scenes I've ever seen in a film, with a thoroughy enjoyable streak of Barbossa, Sparrow and Jones running thoughout, all cocooned within a fantasic score and nigh-on perfect effects, all in all giving us a great piece of fun.

That's just how I see it though

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 15/6/2007 7:27:59 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 259
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 6:51:36 AM   
Stuntman Mike

quote:

With a thoroughy enjoyable streak of Barbossa, Sparrow and Jones running thoughout, all cocooned within a fantasic score and nigh-on perfect effects, all in all giving us a great piece of fun.

I agree with that.  4/5

Are you insane?
No. I'm a pirate.

Post #: 260
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 10:54:36 AM   
stuieboy

quote:

quote:

Am I missing something?!

Agree with what your saying there Gimli but Pirates is not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the films you mention because IMO they balance the dark and the fun perfectly which is what I feel Pirates fails to do. Still I feel we'll have to agree to disagree on this one

Post #: 261
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 12:42:03 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

the fact remains is it's NOT A GREAT FILM, if there are people here who really enjoy it, that's fine, and they shouldn't be lambasted because of this, it is their opinion. The film however has many many flaws that have already been pointed outy countless time in this thread, making the film far from perfect.  I enjoy Van Helsing and Torque but i know in traditional movie critisicm standards, they are not great films.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to stuieboy)
Post #: 262
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 1:18:01 PM   
Rotary Ten

At World's End isn't perfect entertainment - it isn't as satisfying as Curse of the Black Pearl, but it doesn't miss by much. It's still quite good, and despite the length of the film, I was never bored. I felt the tone of the film was a bit weird - the opening hanging scene in particular was out of place, and the supernatural elements have taken over the plot. The first film was only really about pirates. But at the same time that prevented it from just being more of the same thing. It strikes me as odd that those people who were disappointed with the first two films should have expected to find the third film any better. Surely their expectations would have been suitably lowered by the previous films?

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 263
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 1:20:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

to be fair, i actually think Dead Man's Chest is the most enjoyab;e film out of the three, despite that film also having some major flaws. I found it to be the most colourful.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 264
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 1:52:50 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

You didn't find the fact that this film was about 2 hours of talking and 30 minutes of noisy, nothing-new action at all annoying, Pablo?

Nah. Maybe it was the mood I was in! But I will say that the end battle was something I'D never seen before certainly!

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD
I enjoy Van Helsing and Torque.

Thats just WRONG.....

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 15/6/2007 1:53:40 PM >

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 265
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 15/6/2007 2:17:06 PM   
angrytapes

Finally dragged myself along to see Pirates 3 after having everyone saying how bad it is. I didnt hate it, Its no better or worse than the other two films. The plot was a bit incomprehensible but it didnt feel as baggy as 2. Its funny, has pirates, sea monsters, big battles and reminds you a little bit of Star Wars (Chow Yun Fat bit at beginning was total Jabbas palace).

I bet the kids fucking loved it as well, its their Star Wars.

3, maybe even 4/5

I'm a pimp... and pimps don't commit suicide.

Post #: 266
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 5:35:57 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

quote:

Nah. Maybe it was the mood I was in! But I will say that the end battle was something I'D never seen before certainly!

You mustn't have seen the first two films then!

Post #: 267
RE: Love it !!! - 15/6/2007 5:56:28 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

You mustn't have seen the first two films then!

Touche!

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 268
RE: Love it !!! - 16/6/2007 10:19:01 AM   
jobloffski

Liked it. Thought it a bit messy first time, but hung together better on a repeat viewing.

Unlike many viewers, I don't feel it had too much plot or anything. Also, unlike many viewers, I felt it had quite subtle bits such as:

Davy Jones hears the sad music box, a tear forms in his eye, he is surprised by this, because he cut out his heart so he wouldn't feel the pain of lost love. He realises his heart must be being brought to him by someone, and he's not best pleased.

All conveyed without a single word of dialogue. While the film is by no means life-changing, it definitely aint the 'throw all the shit in the the air and see where it lands' kind of filmmaking many (inattentive?) paid critics claim. 

Though I too thought it messy first time, I didn't assume that it was because it made no sense, I assumed that the film was designed for the DVD generation of repeat viewers. No problem at all with the fifty foot woman thing, since Calypso was trapped and kept small by a ritual that 'bound her to her bones' and when released got bigger to reflect increased power (another good bit of visual storytelling I feel)

Whatever, liked it. Yay.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 16/6/2007 10:28:28 AM >

Post #: 269
headache inducing - 17/6/2007 1:17:03 AM   
claudemg

one wonders whether a film this complicated to follow and certainly unfunny is intended for kids or adults. a kid would be scared out of his wits - an adult can't give a crap about the plot. so....who is this film for???

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI