Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I completly agree

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I completly agree Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I completly agree - 3/6/2007 6:24:27 PM   
UrbanAngel

There wasn't enough captain Jack in it! But on the plus side its about time Orlando Bloom copped it.

*Official owner of a Balrog*

(in reply to cosmomckinley)
Post #: 211
RE: I completly agree - 3/6/2007 10:50:39 PM   
Hood_Man

I think I'm in the minority of internet users who actually really enjoyed Dead Man's Chest last year.  It was different to the first but still loads of fun, and Davey Jones was a really interesting villain.

This year, I feel really let down.  I remember being bored a lot, and some moments were just plain ridiculous.  Skeleton Pirates and fish people are one thing, but when a 50 foot woman stands on the deck of a pirate ship roaring like fucking Godzilla you have to stop and think to yourself, "Who the hell thought this was a good idea?!", or simply wonder if Keith Richards was the only person drunk during production.

It's sad.  4 years ago I remember sitting in front of the TV watching a cool trailer for a film I'd never heard of, showing a man walking toward camera saying "Ye'd best start believing in Ghost stories" etc, and then promptly heading off to the cinema as soon as I could to watch the most refreshing, original, and entertaining film I'd seen in so so long.  Never before had I watched a film so enjoyable that it actually surpassed the trailer.  All my troubles melted away for 2 hours and I felt like a kid again.

Like everyone else I couldn't get enough of Captain Jack, but I also loved seeing so much homegrown talent.  Keira Knightley, Jack Davenport, McKenzie Crook, Jonathan Pryce...all people who's names I didn't know at the time but recognised them instantly, and seeing Orlando Bloom in something other than an elf costume knocked me sideways (did anyone else think his career was doomed after they first saw him in Fellowship?).

It was also the film that introduced me to Geoffrey Rush.  Captain Barbossa, for me, was almost as enjoyable to watch as Sparrow, and that scene with him and Knightley at the dinner table still gives me the shivers.  Now whenever I see a DVD with his name on the cover, or in the TV guides, I just can't stop myself.

...and yet 4 years later, here we are with a gritty, ridiculous, overcomplicated mess of a film, somehow written by the same guys who brought us Aladdin, Shrek, The Mask of Zorro, and of course, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.  Many characters who I instantly liked from the first film are dropped for no reason other than there being nothing left for them to do, or possibly to add drama (I'm guessing the former was the actual reason), other's like Davey Jones or Beckett simply don't get enough screentime.

Depp was as fine as ever, the action scenes were certainly far grander in scale than the previous films, and the CGI was stunning as usual.  It's just, for every good moment this film had, there seemed to be at least 1 that fell flat.

This Summer has been such a let down so far, and I was hoping this would be the film to turn things around.  Obviously not.

I feel all I can say in conclusion is... goodbye Pirates.  Don't come back.

(in reply to UrbanAngel)
Post #: 212
Ship-Wrecked - 4/6/2007 10:33:43 AM   
GandalfsHat

I was disappointed but Jack Sparrow and Barbossa were so good they stopped me from being completely dis-heartened. It was just, I dunno, empty. I too really enjoyed DMC so was looking forward to more of the same but it kinda lost it's sparkle. Loved the Davy Jones Locker scene with Sparrow in the desert. Quality acting!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 213
double-crossings - 4/6/2007 10:55:11 AM   
fee_kh

regarding the empire opinion that only the monkey didn't betray anypne, I feel obliged to mention that he tries to kill Mr. Cotton's Parrot, after said animal helped him in Singapore. Despicable really.

Post #: 214
RE: double-crossings - 4/6/2007 3:57:02 PM   
mikeyc

Hello everyone im new to the forums and im looking forward to many movie debates! Back to pirates i thought the film was disapointingly average not so much down to the confusing plot which i managed to follow quite easily but because many of the jokes were not funny. Many of Jack sparrows jokes fell flat and the multiple Jacks scenes did not work. Also i feel that the potential of sum of the story lines were not fulfilled for instance the calypso story line and the meeting of the pirate lords. On the plus side the special effects were superb especially the final battle which was well done, Knightley was also much improved and Barbossa was awsome. 

(in reply to fee_kh)
Post #: 215
- 4/6/2007 5:23:41 PM   
lenka

I think there was alot of Jack and the movie was really great. I've seen it allready 4 times.And I'll go see it again. That is a super good film. And the music in it... How is it possible, that they come up with new music for every sequel of this movie!!!! Fantastic

Post #: 216
i think you're all nuts - 4/6/2007 10:27:17 PM   
alili

this film was entirely entertaining. there were, i agree, too many sub-plots but it wasn't that much of a problem. Davey Jones wasn't as well animated as in DMC, and the CG on the giant Calipso was very wrong (why did the ropes get bigger with her?!). however despite these techincal problems it was a witty and enjoyable film with more johnny depp than you can shake a stick at! (i would seriously sell my soul to live on a ship full of jack sparrows)

i also liked the detail in using actual known pirate brands

admittedly the film did seem a little long the second time i saw it (i actually fell asleep during the final battle but i suspect that might have been because it was late at night)

Post #: 217
- 4/6/2007 10:41:58 PM   
FortWilliamLoyal

A lot of mixed opinions on this film... However, as a massive fan of Pirates who enjoyed the 2nd one more than the 1st :o) I wasn't let down with this. Entertaining throughout and although it did take me a wee bit of time to get to grips with the storyline, once I did, I felt very satisfied by the end. A very good end to the trilogy IMO... Although they probably will make more. Great film.

Post #: 218
Wouldn't cut a scene - 5/6/2007 9:45:05 AM   
Darth Lex

Wonderful!

Post #: 219
- 5/6/2007 12:40:41 PM   
Amezzeray

much better than Spidey 3 on SO many levels but the plot is just awful. By the intermission, you were wondering who made deals with who and Tia Dalma was just a worthless character. the whole Callisto thing was just awful.

acting was slightly better, the effects will win the franchise another oscar and the scene after the creds is so sweet...

Post #: 220
RE: - 5/6/2007 6:04:27 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amezzeray

much better than Spidey 3 on SO many levels

Ooh, I cannot agree with that at all! Flawed though it may have been, IMO Spider-Man 3 was much better than this film.

POTC: AWE is easily the worst film that I've seen this year so far.

It picked up a little towards the end, as they were battling around the whirlpool, but almost everything that proceeded that point was quite awful, IMO.

I saw the original POTC at the cinema and was quite indifferent about the whole thing and as a result, gave DMC a wide berth. Had a bit of time to kill this avo and fancied seeing something at the flicks, and AWE was the only thing on I haven't already seen. So as I had no expectations I went in giving the film the benefit of the doubt.

My instincts proved right, however; POTC: AWE is a floating turd.

Filled with risible dialogue (I know this is a pirate film - shame, as I love pirates and look what they've done - but even so, some of it is unforgiveable), bloated with far too many scenes that should've been left on the cutting room floor, and acting that would make a pig farmer blush, it's a mess for about 3/4 of the entire runing time. Whoever came up with and penned Sparrow's storyline as he's in Davey Jones' Locker needs a few months in solitary confinement to think about what they've done; it made absolutely no sense and plodded along terribly! Truth be told though, I thought the entire film moved along at a horrible pace, and, I kid you not, I was about nodding off a few times. I was only fully awake once the maelstrom fight began.

From my cinematic Crow's Nest, POTC is a franchise (as much as I detest that word, it's all too apt for POTC) that has stayed afloat because of the audience's love of the characters. Though I've never been taken in the way that some have, Jack Sparrow and co. were characters that people enjoyed watching, as the cast seemed to give the characters enough life to make audiences root for them. However, not even by end of the first reel, it seemed to me that everyone looked a little bored of the whole thing, aware somehow that the ship's beginning to sink.

The fizz has all but gone out of Depp's performance of Sparrow. Like I said, whilst I haven't really been taken by POTC, I'll admit that Deep was enjoyable to watch in the first one, even if I didn't think that it was the barnstorming performance that everyone was making it out to be. I really rate Depp as an actor, and although he has said that he'd condsider returning as Jack, I don't think it'd be a good idea, as it seems to me that his heart isn't in it like he says it is, and perhaps he'd be better getting back to more meatier roles.

Knightley and Bloom might be nice people to look at, but I wasn't impressed by either of them here. I've never seen a performance from Knightley that has justified the hype that surrounds her (though I haven't seen the Pride & Prejudice remake she was in, which I've heard she's supposed to be good in). Orlando Bloom seems like a really great guy to know, but again, he isn't what he should be in this. In fact, it'll be interesting to see how Bloom's career trajectory pans out; I liked him in LOTR, but I've not been convinced on material outside of that great trilogy. In POTC, he's been as wooden as the ships he's sailed in, lacking in any gravitas. If this was the last POTC film, I think that Bloom is needing to refine his performances if he wants to move on to more heavyweight material. I'm aware its very easy for me to sit here and judge, as it's not me standing in front of the camera. It's just I think he has the potential to grow and perhaps become quite a bankable actor (that doesn't trade solely on looks) if he was just to spend some time refining technique.

The effects were excellent, the film looked very pretty at times (sailing on the star lit ocean springs to mind), and Hans Zimmer's score was good (perhaps a little better than the film deserved, really), but these aren't enough to offer the film any real redemption. The jokes were flat, it was overlong, the plot was a mess, and it just seemed that the fun had left it all.

2/5.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Amezzeray)
Post #: 221
Great POTC yet but ending - 5/6/2007 11:40:32 PM   
Benjaminl

sorry 4 sayin this but i think it was the best POTC yet but the plot was messy and also the ending was crap(sorry for saying that) i was absolutly disapointed with the ending i went out the cinima and said o na it was that rumbish i waited a hole year for AWD and i thort the ending was going to be the best and it turned out to be rubish they defenatly need to make a Pirates 4 to make the third one work

Post #: 222
Poor - 6/6/2007 8:31:51 AM   
AFFLECKRULES

This movie was a poor mess, it was still better than pirates 2 and spidey 3 (not that hard though). Yeah it was entertaining at parts with some good gags, and also the inclusion of Keef Richards always helps, but it lacked something. May be if your female a movie full of captain Jacks is enough to satisfy you, but for most normal people it just isnt enough

Post #: 223
Better than Spidy 3? - 6/6/2007 8:45:40 PM   
JACK M14

In my opinion, this film is good. That's it. GOOD. Like this, Spidy 3 had the problem of having too much going on at once, but it seemed to pull it off a lot better that AWE did. I am a 'Pirates' fan but I was dissapointed with this. It didn't go out with a big enough bang.

Post #: 224
RE: Better than Spidy 3? - 7/6/2007 2:39:09 PM   
Beno

I just read somewhere that there is a scene right at the end of the movie after the credits .
Now like most people i was in a rush to get out of the cinema having got a numb bum so dont know if this is true . Anyone seen it ?? Sorry if its already been mentioned!!

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to JACK M14)
Post #: 225
Overblown tosh - 8/6/2007 2:27:27 PM   
richthekid

What an absolute mess of a film. I very rarely do this, but having endured 90 minutes of unfathomable plot and precious little action, I couldn't bear it anymore and walked out. The first Pirates was great fun with a good plot-how on earth did it turn into this lacklustre mess. Disney need to get back to their roots.

Post #: 226
RE: Better than Spidy 3? - 8/6/2007 7:50:06 PM   
GandalfsHat

Yeah the scene just summed up the disappointment! It was Swann standing on a cliff with a kid (ten yrs old of course) who looked suspiciously like the kid who got hanged at the start of the film...then the sun goes down, green flash and wahey along comes Will on the ship smug grin all over his face. And that's it.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 227
RE: Better than Spidy 3? - 9/6/2007 4:16:56 PM   
Caster

Overblown?  Yes. Smug?  Yes.  Too long and utterly incomprehensible plot?  Yes.  Understand half of what Barbosa is shouting?  No.

Yet somehow I loved it.  I was worried halfway through but the third act really lifted it up for me.  It's not a classic and POTC films are all overrated IMO, but as summer fun it was pretty darn good.  I loved Beckett's last scene especially.

< Message edited by Caster -- 9/6/2007 4:17:46 PM >

(in reply to GandalfsHat)
Post #: 228
Set sail for escapist entertainment - 9/6/2007 5:39:16 PM   
Axel Foley

Johnny Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow stares at, examines and finally begins to eat a segment of a peanut; his face a picture of feverish glee. Suddenly a pistol fires and he lies dead, before Captain Jack Sparrow appears to steal the morsel. It is a suitably surreal moment and one that marks the point at which Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End kicks into life marking the first appearance of the aforementioned erstwhile Captain of the Black Pearl and present prisoner in Davy Jones’ Locker, situated at the eponymous edge of the planet. Be it that it is half and hour in, and we’ve sat through so much sideshow filler, as Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley), Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and new ally the resurrected Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), take part in a three way skirmish in the Far East with Sao Feng the pirate lord (Chow Yun Fat) and the minions of Lord Beckett (Tom Hollander). Yes that is a lot of characters you’ve got to keep up with in this film and it’s probably best I don’t go into the plot.

Anyway back to Sparrow. Depp’s creation won the hearts of regular movie goers as well as critical and industry recognition in the original film, before showboating through the second part, Dead Man’s Chest. Here he just about avoids verging into a parody of himself and, in a scene where GoreVerbinski reminds his audience that he can be a quirkily inventive director (one who shot the fabulous desert island sequence of film one, with its hilarious Sparrow reaction to the burning of his rum hoard), he is once again excelling with his crazed drunkard shtick. The lighting of the isolated, sand filled prison provides a glazed backdrop and, as he is both troubled by bickering versions of himself and a persistent rock cum crab, we are thrown headlong into his wild mindset.

Once re-united with his sometime chums, we follow Sparrow back into civilisation (well aboard ship anyhow), as Verbinski delivers some quite spectacular and highly imaginative set-piece fun. The crew watch as the dead cross worlds, then capsize their ship and finally engage in battle with the Beckett and his supernatural slave Davy Jones. There are some saggy moments along the way, including a pirate forum that sounds like so much plotting on the hop, although it does give us the pleasure of meeting Depp’s inspiration for Sparrow Keith Richards, who appears to be playing himself in a pirate outfit.

It is however, a sublime helicopter shot that brings us to a Leonesque meeting (Hans Zimmer’s score even appears to nod to Ennio Morricone’s Once upon a Time in the West at one point) mid way on a sandbar, with turquoise waters surrounding the protagonists, as they make their final bargains and form up for battle. It’s achieved on an epic scale, as a storm rages as the heroes clash with Jones aboard The Flying Dutchman. Verbinski manages to work in a few laughs, reminding one of the first film’s jaunty tone one of my favourite coming as one of Jones’ dismembered tentacles slithers of with a crucial set of keys. Even Bloom and Knightley grow some personality as they attempt to tie the knot amidst the chaos.

It’s all good, escapist fun. In fact, if Verbinski had been able to bring the film in half an hour shorter (much of the opening was superfluous and Knightley’s feeble call to arms has got to go, so I could save him fifteen minutes already), it could’ve scaled the superior blockbuster heights of Curse of the Black Pearl. As it stands, it is more exciting than Dead Man’s Chest, and has a jaunty and, at times, ingeniously abstract life of its own. Okay so the plot is more convoluted and contrived than the case for invading Iraq, but cinema has a power to transport an audience into its dreamy milieu and with its fantastical, ‘historical’ setting, At World’s End does just that. The only shame was that upon leaving the auditorium there was no shimmering, faraway ocean to greet me. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum indeed!

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

Post #: 229
RE: Better than Spidy 3? - 9/6/2007 5:50:07 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Overblown?  Yes. Smug?  Yes.  Too long and utterly incomprehensible plot?  Yes.  Understand half of what Barbosa is shouting?  No.

Yet somehow I loved it.  I was worried halfway through but the third act really lifted it up for me.  It's not a classic and POTC films are all overrated IMO, but as summer fun it was pretty darn good.  I loved Beckett's last scene especially.

There was something very English about it, very chin up, stiff upper lip (and the exploding ship gradually turning to a large set of matchsticks looked superb – the vfx were seamless, ILM have set a new benchmark with Sony's boys looking on jealous following the rather ropey Spidey moves).

There’s an earlier scene with Beckett and Turner nonchalantly sipping tea, as Jones rages around them that had a similar vibe to it. I just like the idea that with all hell breaking loose, a Lord of the empire would always sit down for a cuppa.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 230
far too much - 9/6/2007 9:13:59 PM   
Gold Digger

I lost interest about 15 minutes in and could not careless who was double crossing who and where everyone was going. 2 was too much, 3 was painful. Please no more of these tedious epics.

Post #: 231
RE: far too much - 9/6/2007 11:13:20 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I thought this was a vast improvment on DMC but it still didn't have the charm the first film had.  Depp and Rush were sublime, and Richard's cameo was fantastic, however Bloom and Knightley were awful as usual and it was far too long.  I also thought SPOILER Beckett's death was a huge let down - I wanted someone to kill him instead of that craptastic ending.  Total letdown.  END SPOILER also, what was with Elizabeth'a need to snog everyone? Overall, I enjoyed it  - far more than Spidey, which I wasn't expecting.  

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Gold Digger)
Post #: 232
Medicore - 11/6/2007 10:48:59 AM   
AboyNamedSue

Just like the second one. First one was great though. And whoever keeps giving Orlando Bloom work needs to take a long hard look at themselves - then commit messy suicide.

Post #: 233
Mediocre.... - 11/6/2007 10:50:55 AM   
AboyNamedSue

I can't spell or type this early in the morning.

Post #: 234
RE: Mediocre.... - 11/6/2007 9:41:21 PM   
adamdavidsmith

Not  a bad film, just not a very good one. First things first Depp and Rush were on top form and excluding; Bloom and Knightley, so were the rest of the cast. The story of this average, big-budget flick was messy, complicated with no explanation, pretty much the entire plot was bullshit, killing off small characters for no reason, bringing back bigger characters with no explanation and making a film with no point. BUT the score is obviously good and the visual effects spectacular but thats the problem the film relies on its effects. The only scene that reached me is the scene when all the pirates start singing, the hope and defiance in that act is inspiring. I went in expecting a good film and thats what it delivered nothing more.

Not even close to the first and not as good as the second but what I do find interesting is the great journeys people go through.

< Message edited by adamdavidsmith -- 11/6/2007 9:42:47 PM >

(in reply to AboyNamedSue)
Post #: 235
RE: Mediocre.... - 12/6/2007 12:23:41 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamdavidsmith

killing off small characters for no reason,

That was something I was uncomfortable with. It also seemed to mean lot of weepy scenes for Keira, something she is not suited to and unfortunately struggled with.

It has to be said for supposedly a kids’ movie it does have a general callousness to life that was quite strange (although I did crack up when Keef made his entrance with pistol smoking). The execution opening was definitely unnecessary.

While I’m here a quick mention for the monkey. He’s a more accomplished performer than either Bloom or Knightley (which ain’t saying much I guess) and wish there’d been more of him. There was much excitement in the auditorium whenever he was involved.

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 236
A disappointing damp squib of a movie - 12/6/2007 2:00:35 PM   
britesparc

Dead Man’s Chest was, in many ways, the Matrix Reloaded of the pirate world. It was a sequel to a fantastic, groundbreaking, original film; it was filmed back-to-back with its sequel, making an instant trilogy; it had revolutionary special effects; and it was far too long, took itself far too seriously, had a complex plot which no one really understood, but just about managed to be fun in spite of itself. World’s End, therefore, has the potential to be Matrix Revolutions: unbelievably awful in every conceivable way. Fortunately, it’s not that bad; in fact it’s probably better than its predecessor. Unfortunately, it doesn’t improve on its predecessor, forgetting everything that made the first Pirates such good fun, and just contributing to the tragic mess that is the Pirates sequels. So much potential, so utterly wasted; as (supposedly) the final part of a trilogy, this could have – should have – delivered resolution and closure (even if they do want to leave it slightly open for more sequels), but it only muddies the waters further and darkens even more what should have been a predominantly light and sunny franchise. Therefore, we must be even more critical. This film is far too long. Stupidly long; nearly three hours long. Whilst it’s not exactly boring – the universe created in the first Pirates is so good, it remains forever interesting – it’s just long-winded, in need of a good edit. Like Dead Man (and, indeed, Spidey 3), as well as being too long, it’s also rushed, with little time for characterisation and development as plot points are whizzed through and exposition required in most scenes. New characters come in and go out, we’re asked to care for people who haven't even been around long enough for us to register their names, and the people who were at the core of the first film are hardly given any screen time. There are too many things going on at once, most of it doesn’t make any sense, and it’s hard to know what the real point of any of it is. It’s dark to an almost sinister degree, which arguably doesn’t suit either its target audience, or the sense of chaotic joie de vive created in the first (almost perfect) movie. Plus, it offers a confused and laboured ending that simultaneously cheapens the emotional investment we had in the characters, whilst offering something of a cliffhanger for the inevitable fourth and fifth instalments. Verbinski and Bruckheimer seem to have forgotten the Skywalker Rule: the “hero” characters – the upright, good-natured centre of the film – have to have room to breathe, have to carry their own story and the weight of the rest of the picture, otherwise you just have untold craziness and calamity, with no sense or clarity. Some people may find Luke Skywalker boring, but rest assured, despite Han, Boba Fett, and Salacious Crumb, Star Wars is his story. Bloom and Knightley’s romance was a central tenant of the first film; whilst they’re far from the most interesting characters, by giving them such short shrift as a couple (they’ve spent most of these last two films either apart or arguing) it just serves to make them bland, two-dimensional cut-outs amidst the larger-than-life supporting cast. Jack Sparrow may be the star, but we know he’s always going to be all right: he’s a rogue and a schemer; these sorts of films need a stable centre, and Pirates has completely thrown it away. However, all is not totally lost: the film-makers do know where the excitement lies, and so we get plenty of Depp and Rush; Chow Yun Fat and Bill Nighy both make a suitable impression, but are as good as wasted, especially Yun Fat. The effects are, once more, revelatory, with no real sense of the practical ending and the digital beginning. And some scenes – an exploding ship and a swordfight proposal – are visually stunning. But most of the action set-pieces go on far too long. In the end, it seems that Pirates has been hamstrung by its own ambition: by seeking to create a lasting mythology, rather than a fun couple of hours in the flicks, the Pirate ship has sunk itself. Maybe if had just tried to be a little more like the theme park ride that inspired it in the first place, it would have been better for everybody.

Post #: 237
RE: Set sail for escapist entertainment - 12/6/2007 5:01:20 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Axel Foley

Johnny Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow stares at, examines and finally begins to eat a segment of a peanut; his face a picture of feverish glee. Suddenly a pistol fires and he lies dead, before Captain Jack Sparrow appears to steal the morsel. It is a suitably surreal moment and one that marks the point at which Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End kicks into life marking the first appearance of the aforementioned erstwhile Captain of the Black Pearl and present prisoner in Davy Jones’ Locker, situated at the eponymous edge of the planet. Be it that it is half and hour in, and we’ve sat through so much sideshow filler, as Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley), Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and new ally the resurrected Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), take part in a three way skirmish in the Far East with Sao Feng the pirate lord (Chow Yun Fat) and the minions of Lord Beckett (Tom Hollander). Yes that is a lot of characters you’ve got to keep up with in this film and it’s probably best I don’t go into the plot.

Anyway back to Sparrow. Depp’s creation won the hearts of regular movie goers as well as critical and industry recognition in the original film, before showboating through the second part, Dead Man’s Chest. Here he just about avoids verging into a parody of himself and, in a scene where GoreVerbinski reminds his audience that he can be a quirkily inventive director (one who shot the fabulous desert island sequence of film one, with its hilarious Sparrow reaction to the burning of his rum hoard), he is once again excelling with his crazed drunkard shtick. The lighting of the isolated, sand filled prison provides a glazed backdrop and, as he is both troubled by bickering versions of himself and a persistent rock cum crab, we are thrown headlong into his wild mindset.

Once re-united with his sometime chums, we follow Sparrow back into civilisation (well aboard ship anyhow), as Verbinski delivers some quite spectacular and highly imaginative set-piece fun. The crew watch as the dead cross worlds, then capsize their ship and finally engage in battle with the Beckett and his supernatural slave Davy Jones. There are some saggy moments along the way, including a pirate forum that sounds like so much plotting on the hop, although it does give us the pleasure of meeting Depp’s inspiration for Sparrow Keith Richards, who appears to be playing himself in a pirate outfit.

It is however, a sublime helicopter shot that brings us to a Leonesque meeting (Hans Zimmer’s score even appears to nod to Ennio Morricone’s Once upon a Time in the West at one point) mid way on a sandbar, with turquoise waters surrounding the protagonists, as they make their final bargains and form up for battle. It’s achieved on an epic scale, as a storm rages as the heroes clash with Jones aboard The Flying Dutchman. Verbinski manages to work in a few laughs, reminding one of the first film’s jaunty tone one of my favourite coming as one of Jones’ dismembered tentacles slithers of with a crucial set of keys. Even Bloom and Knightley grow some personality as they attempt to tie the knot amidst the chaos.

It’s all good, escapist fun. In fact, if Verbinski had been able to bring the film in half an hour shorter (much of the opening was superfluous and Knightley’s feeble call to arms has got to go, so I could save him fifteen minutes already), it could’ve scaled the superior blockbuster heights of Curse of the Black Pearl. As it stands, it is more exciting than Dead Man’s Chest, and has a jaunty and, at times, ingeniously abstract life of its own. Okay so the plot is more convoluted and contrived than the case for invading Iraq, but cinema has a power to transport an audience into its dreamy milieu and with its fantastical, ‘historical’ setting, At World’s End does just that. The only shame was that upon leaving the auditorium there was no shimmering, faraway ocean to greet me. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum indeed!

You must be Gore Verbinski!
Although I don't think even he could praise this film as much as you have.

This film was one of the most boring films I have ever seen. Two hours of almost nothing but talking followed by a final thirty minutes of seen-it-all-before action.

There are so many things wrong with this film but I would probably forgive them all if it wasn't as dull and boring as it is. I mean, for almost two hours nothing happens!

Nothing! Except talking ludicrous, complicated, pointless shite!

Johnny Depp should be ashamed of himself for this lazy character. Pretending to be a slurred drunk was funny(ish) in the first film but spread over three? No chance.

Knightley cannot act. Bloom cannot act.

The story makes no sense.

The dialogue is as wooden as the ships.

The whole thing is at least an hour too long.

Awful, awful crap.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 238
RE: Set sail for escapist entertainment - 12/6/2007 5:30:23 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Nah I’m his evil twin and I’m infiltrating the Empire forums… 

You know opinion is opinion and judging by the rating on IMDB at the moment I’m not alone in enjoying the film. And any opinion is valid if you can justify it (as opposed to someone turning up and saying it was well wicked, or the people that try and get away with the old chestnut “well in my opinion the Godfather isn’t all that”).

Like I said there are plenty of flaws (I’ve hardly given it unlimited praise), but there was enough in there that I really enjoyed to forget them (well apart from Keira’s all but rousing gee up for freedom – maybe if she’d delivered it in a Scotch accent it would have been more tolerable).

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 239
RE: Set sail for escapist entertainment - 12/6/2007 5:46:44 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Nah I’m his evil twin and I’m infiltrating the Empire forums… 

You know opinion is opinion and judging by the rating on IMDB at the moment I’m not alone in enjoying the film. And any opinion is valid if you can justify it (as opposed to someone turning up and saying it was well wicked, or the people that try and get away with the old chestnut “well in my opinion the Godfather isn’t all that”).

Like I said there are plenty of flaws (I’ve hardly given it unlimited praise), but there was enough in there that I really enjoyed to forget them (well apart from Keira’s all but rousing gee up for freedom – maybe if she’d delivered it in a Scotch accent it would have been more tolerable).

This bit really made me laugh. In Ireland, the word 'Gee'* is the same as 'Fanny' in the UK.

* pronounced with a hard 'G'.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I completly agree Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI