Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 12:04:34 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

there were two things i liked about this film -

1) the final hour just looked amzing, and the action was pretty good.

2) Gore verbinski actually got to have the film running time he wanted - unlike Sam Raimi. and i fully apreciate the fact that he actually used it.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Bad Movie Year)
Post #: 151
RE: RE: - 29/5/2007 2:43:20 AM   
Aranathor

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicholsonsmhead

Note to the makers

Depp - Yes
Rush - Yes
Nighy - Yes
McNally - Yes

Almost everyone else - NO!

Bloom - stop shouting!  He's like a kid in a school play.
Knightley - stop pulling that face!  Also, when did her character learn to become an unstoppable killing machine?  I think I missed that bit.
Davenport - Frig off!
Hollander - Ooh scary villain man is so scary!

Your very right about Knightly randomly becoming a skilled bucaneering sword fighter (if you forgot, in the first movie she a) hits a guy over the head with a log (amazing) and b) pushes someone in a rather womanly way (equally amazing) in DMC she probably does just as much...)

i personally thought Depp was very good, especially the hallucination bit, only bit i properly laughed. Also, why the hell do Bloom and Knightly stay together even though Bloom double crosses everyone and becomes uber-evil?

'Thunder, thunder, thunder Thundercats! Ho!' - Lion-o
'More Fodder for the cause!' - Adam Warlock

(in reply to nicholsonsmhead)
Post #: 152
RE: RE: - 29/5/2007 8:41:22 AM   
leebirch

I enjoyed POTC:AWE, it may be long etc. but i thought it was great.... funny, great special effects and action scenes, The only thing i didn't like too much was the multiple and mini Jacks!!! Other than that i thought possibly a 4/5 :)

(in reply to Aranathor)
Post #: 153
(Ofcourse) it sucks! - 29/5/2007 9:47:04 AM   
Mr Wayne

First spider-man 3 and now this..although I could see this one coming right after I saw Pirates 2, which was also crap. Complete waste of time. How hard can it be to make a simple adventure movie? If they would completely dumb down the story, instead of 10.000 different storylines it would've been a lot better. At least spider-man 3 was still a descent film, this one sinks to the deep, dark depths of the ocean. Worst.film.ever. 'nough said.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 154
Four Stars! Better than Dead Man's Chest! Barbossa! - 29/5/2007 9:54:22 AM   
keyzersaulsie

Saw POTC: At Worlds End  last night and loved it... way better than the impression the Empire review would have you think.

I only went to see it because there was nothing else to do and what a fantastic surprise.

A huge improvement on Dead Man's Chest but it doesn't quite hit the heights of Curse of the Black Pearl.  Like the first film, At Worlds End is full of inventive twists (eg Davey Jone's Locker) while also being faithful to the conventions of a derring-do filled pirate movie.

The story is overlong and the double-crossing a touch too convoluted come the finale, as Empire commented, but never to the point that I lost interest or enjoyment... unlike the closing act of Spider-Man 3.

What really lifts At Worlds End above it's predecessor is the return of the brilliant Geoffrey Rush giving it the full panto-salty-sea-dog-of-a-villain treatment once again. Barbossa is the anti-Sparrow and he was sorely missed last time around. What good is a new-school rock n' roll pirate like Captain Jack without the contrast of an honest-to-badness old school tyrant of the waves like Captain Hector Barbossa?

It's not the classic the first film was but it's a long way off the disappointment of the first sequel... and it dares to be different which can't be said of it's blockbuster competition so far.   

< Message edited by keyzersaulsie -- 29/5/2007 10:01:25 AM >

Ted Striker: My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.
Elaine Dickinson: When will you be back?
Ted Striker: I can't tell. It's classified.

Post #: 155
RE: Four Stars! Better than Dead Man's Chest! Barbossa! - 29/5/2007 10:18:21 AM   
adamdavidsmith

woah, there are some really diverse opinions on Pirates 3, some love some hate, guess I just have to make my own judgement when I see it this week.

(in reply to keyzersaulsie)
Post #: 156
RE: Four Stars! Better than Dead Man's Chest! Barbossa! - 29/5/2007 2:18:59 PM   
nicholsonsmhead

Though I've already posted a review, I thought I'd mention that it's only 4 days since I saw this film and I can barely remember anything about it, much like Dead Man's Chest.  All I remember with any clarity is going for a piss as soon as Keira Knightley started giving a speech.  I came back from the toilet, whereupon my mate validated my decision by telling me I'd missed precisely fuck all.

< Message edited by nicholsonsmhead -- 29/5/2007 2:30:52 PM >

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 157
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 2:28:40 PM   
Kadaj

Pirates of the Caribbean is a terribly overrated series of films.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first one but the sequels suffer from Matrix syndrome; trying to expand on a world that was kept relatively straight-forward. Whereas 'Curse' had a simple plotline that was easy to follow, kept the FX appropirate and was a lot of fun, the sequels keep chucking in new mythologies, which aren't even explained properly and we aren't expected to accept immediately.

If you consider Pirates 1 on its own its a brilliant film. If you view it as part of the trilogy it brings nothing to the series, as everything is undone trhough the course of the sequels; Barbossa isn't the great villain you thought he was, for example.

When I went to see DMC last year, i nearly fell asleep. My friend insisted that it matched the first one and drew up a list to see which one was better. I wanted to slap him.

THINGS THAT WENT WRONG IN THE SEQUELS:

No coherent plotline
Will and Bill Turner
Ragetti and Pintel- WTF! You wanted to kill the heroes in the first one you twats. Piss off- very unneccessary.
Horrible HORRIBLE character arcs. They actually all try and shoot each other in 3 then are sad when Will 'dies'.
The writers love of repeating lots and lots of catchprases (wink wink). Don't get me wrong some of them were excellent, but were overused and overused. It seemed every character had a catchphrase they wanted to include
Random plotholes; why didn't Davy Jones just nick the chest as they brought it onto the Flying Dutchman? It wasn't open and nobody was guarding it.
The build up to the character of Sao Feng who did absolutely bollock all in the film
THE VERY CONFUSING AND UNDOUBTEDLY SHIT MYTHOLOGIES: Calypso, Jack in purgatory, 'World's End'- hold on a minute I thought it was OUR world.
Davy Jones: he can walk through walls?!?!?!?!? When?!
Tia Darma; most annoying character ever (her Calypso stroyline should have been cut out COMPLETELY)

To sum up, Pirates 1 (im typing lazy I know), asked us to suspend our imaginations for 2 hours. That's fine, you need to do that in a fantasy adventure film supposedly set in our world. However Pirates 2 and 3 asked us to completely erase our opinions on Pirates 1, and our perceptions of the characters and asked us to suspend our reality and accept all these concepts that were 'necessary' to understanding a very confusing and messy film = boring.

Post #: 158
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 2:30:33 PM   
Kadaj

Oh yeah, Kiera Knightley's speech anyone (God she was hot in that film)

Braveheart?
King Theoden's speech in 'Return of the King'?

At least some of the fun and humour was regained in 3,

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 159
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 2:36:43 PM   
Kadaj

To be honest, I believe the film only appeals to people who are action film freeks, and I mean people who rarely watch anything more, which I don't think the film intended to aim at, considering its convulted plot.

By the way, Geoffrey Rush practically acts EVERYONE of the screen in this film. He was brilliant. If it wasn't for him, Depp and Hollander (truly sinister, smarmy and very underplayed- birlliant death) I would have seriously walked out.

Preffered Davy Jones in this one too.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 160
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 2:40:55 PM   
jasperoosterveld

I thought it was so bad and overrated and way to long! Almost 3 hours, are they nuts?? There arent enough GOOD jokes, the story is really bad, bloom and that ugly skinny kneightly dont have any chemistry and i can go on for hours

Just really really bad, i cant believe people like this shit

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 161
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 2:41:41 PM   
Kadaj

Sorry to post again but............

One thing that really did piss me off was that we were supposed to see Will and Norrington as villains at certain points in both films.
Excuse me? These were the characters that got fucked over the most and actually had good course to do what they did, compared to fucking Jack Sparrow, Ragetti et al. This was one of the biggest points why I didn't like the films.

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 162
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 2:42:04 PM   
Beno

Much like "Spidey 3" this did not deliver . Too talky and half the time ; "what the heck are they talking about anyhoo"?? Some kids in my screening were fidgeting a lot . The last 45 mins. or so were top notch though , and i have to agree that Rush was one of the better thesps in the flick .

< Message edited by Beno -- 29/5/2007 2:43:07 PM >

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 163
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 3:21:24 PM   
Mojo

I didn't stay for the post-credits sequence, could somebody please tell me what it was?

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 164
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 3:39:57 PM   
wolvieware

I thought AWE was a really enjoyable film. I didn't think it was too long either, and enjoyed every minute of it. The pirates series is easily the best series of films at the cinema since LOTR, and I've enjoyed them all. Depp was brilliant as usual, and Bloom was better than in part 2. Keira had more to do, and Geoffrey Rush was having lots of fun! Great to see Davy Jones as well, best CG cinema effect since Gollum.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 165
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 4:21:12 PM   
Grunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

I didn't stay for the post-credits sequence, could somebody please tell me what it was?

10 years later:

Elizabeth and her son on a cliff, they see a green light and Will comes sailing home to be with his family.
awwwwww!!

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 166
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 4:44:18 PM   
born_dead04

The review is pretty acurate of the film. for me this movie is no better than the first two installements. i was really disapointed. i can't explain but it just doesn't have the magic the first has. Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End is overlong, in parts boring, partly dull, and nothing special or spectacular. if i'm being honest, evn the last battl;e was nowhere near the spectacle it shud ov been. the ending seems rushed, liked they had to fit alot in and they couldn't run into longer time. the enjoyable bits don't even rival the parts that are so eyecatching and amazing from the first two parts.
Captain Sparrow is neither charming or witty in this climax like he is in the other films. and don't get me started on Keith Richards cameo...............................

Post #: 167
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 29/5/2007 5:23:15 PM   
jasperoosterveld

I was allready bored when the last scene began...

And what was that calypso for crap? That woman was on crack the whole movie, talking jibberish the whole time.

People wake up! This movie was shit and a waste of money!

(in reply to born_dead04)
Post #: 168
- 29/5/2007 5:27:26 PM   
taz_e

Captain JAck is not Captain Jack anymore and the plot is a big fat mess. The only things that are worth seeing are Keira (especially when she gives that great speech) and Gore Verbinski's imaginative derectorial skills.

Post #: 169
- 29/5/2007 5:44:44 PM   
seanofthedead

the problem was topping dead mans chest, i liked this film,it's just not as good as the other's.

Post #: 170
- 29/5/2007 5:44:54 PM   
seanofthedead

the problem was topping dead mans chest, i liked this film,it's just not as good as the other's.

Post #: 171
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - 29/5/2007 6:10:48 PM   
jojo1983

For starters, I loved this film, but I suppose I always would as I thoroughly enjoyed the first two. I must say, as the first half came to an end at the intermission, I did state that it wasn't quite what I expected, then I realised I didn't really know what I was expecting. I knew the basic plot points, with Jack being stuck in the locker, and the pirate lords meeting to fight Beckett, but I didn't know how it would all play out. Yes, there are double crosses at every turn, often between Will and Jack, but they come to a suprising end, with Captain Jack finally showing some heart (no pun intended!). Everyone's storyline comes to a conclusion, even if not completely necessary, it's still nice to know what happens to these characters. Yes, they may be pirates, but you still care about them! There are many suprising moments, with Will and Elizabeth's ending really catching me off guard. The best part of the movie for me had to be the bickering rivalry between Jack and Barbossa, definitely two grumpy old women if ever you saw them! Yes, maybe the film is not as laugh out loud funny as the first, but there's still plenty of material to raise a smile, and let's not forget what it is - an adventure movie. It was never going to be as good as the first, but as long as there's demand for Jack (to the tune of over $1 billion for Dead Man's Chest), I'm sure he'll keep on coming back. Go and see for yourself, and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Post #: 172
RE: Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - 29/5/2007 6:15:40 PM   
Stuntgoat

I actually enjoyed the first film, and the second was alright but this one bored the hell out of me! Didn't help when the cinema decided to have an intermission! I've never walked out of a film but I came close with this one.

We're gonna need a bigger boat!
PSN: Stuntgoat

(in reply to jojo1983)
Post #: 173
OK - 29/5/2007 6:57:19 PM   
Insomniac28

This film was quite good, the plot is a bit knotty and the intermission in the middle of the film is just annoying. The speeches given are average and the acting is ok.

However the visuals are beautiful and , (surely some of the best characters ever created) Barbossa and Cap'n Jack are brilliant and entertaining to watch as always.

Post #: 174
I enjoyed it more than Spider-man 3. - 29/5/2007 9:53:48 PM   
VincentHanna

Keira was a waste of space though......big surprise!

Post #: 175
RE: I enjoyed it more than Spider-man 3. - 29/5/2007 11:51:11 PM   
Castor Troy

Shit.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 176
Review 8 - 30/5/2007 10:18:29 AM   
simontchilds07

Terrible. Boring. Complicated. Stupid. Wrong. Those are some of the words that spring to mind while watching this film. Is was terrible.

Not enough action seqences, and the ones that were seen were ok, but very boring. The action sequences were placed there just for filler. The film was a borefest with mainly talk of double-crossing.

This film, which has a simple message and simplke storyline has been made to be complicated and too long. It has very reference to Dead Man's Chest and the first movie. Its utter rubbish. I was very disappointed by it. Spider-Man 3 is still the summer's best film.

The acting from some of the main characters was shocking. Especially Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley. Both stiff and so different to the first and second films, how can they evolve that much in like a couple of houra.

The only good thing was 'Randal', the small pirate, where you see him with a gun and he flies off the boat. Reminder of Scrubs (Check out Randal the cleaner) and also similar to Star Wars and the Ewokes...

Jack Sparrow. Seen as the hero of the series, the man who can help the film make a bit of dosh, is 1. Not seen enough and 2 when he is, its such a bad script, it gets boring...

Better luck next time

Post #: 177
RE: I enjoyed it more than Spider-man 3. - 30/5/2007 12:00:47 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Shit.
best review of this film so far!

For the record i havnt seen this film or dead mans chest cos i thought the first movie was crap.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 178
Much better than i thought it could be - 30/5/2007 12:03:47 PM   
paul0201

I thought the first pirates film was brilliant with such a great array of characters and i eagerly awaited DMC only to be let down i thought this film was still good but a long way short of the first one. So i sat in the cinema fearing the worst only to be greatly suprised how good it was I don't think they could have done a lot more in terms of wrapping up all the story threads. I've read a lot of reviews of people claiming the plot was too complicated i'm sorry but only a half asleep idiot could find this confusing. Jonny depp and Geoffery Rush are brilliant as always as are many of the supporting cast, although I do find Keira slightly irritating in this film but i've never been a fan so i guess that would'nt help. The CGI also top notch. At almost 3hrs running time I thought it may be pushing it a bit but i comletely forgot all sense of time during the film which is always a good sign to me. I think that while maybe still not up to the standard of the first film this is a good return to form and i hope they bring on the Capt Jack Sparrow Chronicles.

Post #: 179
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 30/5/2007 12:06:08 PM   
adamc

I think the problem is that everyone goes compaing it to Pirates 1. It is never going to be as good as that as it was so fresh and original at the time. Jack was a fresh character with no expectation on his shoulders. So if you try and not compare it to the first film for that reason it does play better. P2 was a journey of set pieces to P3 really and I think as a trilogy that showes clearer now. As the writer have admitted on P2's features disc they wrote the 1st as a stand alone film, not expecting to be called back almost sounding daunted about doing another 2. Maybe thats a factor and it wasn't the best film ever but I still enjoyed it, I prefered it to P2 and thought the film if nothing else was good fun and looked beautiful. How often do you get to swash and buckle in 2007.

put Baby Solo in the Cargo Hold

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI