Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Confused

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Confused Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confused - 27/5/2007 2:37:14 PM   
KissMyConverse

There is a part of me that really did love this movie. It was fun, exciting and visually breathtaking; the monkey steals the show, even from Jack. It was great to have Barbossa back on board because I think the second film suffered from the loss of his pure evilness; the sight of Geoffrey Rush cackling like a mad man as he steers the Pearl into the middle of giant whirlpool is fabulous and the kind of thing special effects and breathtaking cinema moments were made for. Many people will probably disagree with me on this but I do think that both Keira and Orlando's acting has improved - in the second film you could have picked them up and hit Davy Jones over the head with them they were so wooden. Johnny Depp is as lovely and enjoyable as ever; he never fails to make me laugh. However, despite the breathtaking VFX and the slightly improved acting it does get slightly confusing and this it what brings it down. You can get lost trying to figure out who double-crosses who and for what reasons and with a 3 hour running time it is too long - by the time you get to the end, you've forgotten what happened at the beginning. With this much content and so many storylines, they could have easily made two movies out of it. The thing about Calypso too - eh? When she goes into goddess form she looks like something out of those dodgy 50s B-movies like the giant 50ft woman or something like that. But, if you sit back and just enjoy the pure cinema experience, you'll come out thinking wow! The end clearly leaves it open for a sequal and Johnny Depp has said that if they got the right script, he would be willing to do another one - the fact that Orlando and Keira don't want to will be no great loss.

< Message edited by KissMyConverse -- 27/5/2007 2:43:16 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 121
Disappointed - 27/5/2007 3:14:49 PM   
Deni24

This film reminded me of the Matrix trilogy, Film 1 excellent however 2 and 3 were confusing and over complicated. Hopefully they will make a fouth film which will redeem the series.

Post #: 122
RE: Disappointed - 27/5/2007 3:54:02 PM   
simonmckergan1

Another big summer film another so-so film.  The flabby middle section was just too dull for words.  Talk, double cross, rinse and repeat.  Having said that the end was pretty awesome.  Its just pushing 7 out of 10.  It was better than Spiderman 3, though that's not saying much.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Deni24)
Post #: 123
Pirates 3!!!!! - 27/5/2007 3:57:10 PM   
deckard1984

After sitting through 3 hours of high octane effects, action and twists. The thought of a another pirates was n't playing through my mind. Even though they have left it open for another few (estimate) the enjoyment of the third will stay in my mind for eons. The twists throughout the film kept me guessing to the end, and you realise that it doesn't matter how much you find certain characters annoying you want none of them to come to any harm. Although Chow Yun Fat is a legend and was underused this film still gets a 5 star!!!

Post #: 124
RE: Pirates 3!!!!! - 27/5/2007 4:46:24 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Depp loves playing that charachter so he'll be back for a fourth film...

(in reply to deckard1984)
Post #: 125
RE: Pirates 3!!!!! - 27/5/2007 4:55:05 PM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: deckard1984

After sitting through 3 hours of high octane effects, action and twists. The thought of a another pirates was n't playing through my mind. Even though they have left it open for another few (estimate) the enjoyment of the third will stay in my mind for eons. The twists throughout the film kept me guessing to the end, and you realise that it doesn't matter how much you find certain characters annoying you want none of them to come to any harm. Although Chow Yun Fat is a legend and was underused this film still gets a 5 star!!!

erm I acutally thought the action to talking ratio was a bit in favour of the talking side

tbh I thought this film was awful- it was just too long, didnt have enough action (although what they had was amazing), the comedy was alright I supose, and orlando bloom still cannot act. There was just so much that they could've taken out and Keith Richards part was just completely ruined.

but the fight in the whirlpool was great though

and at the end *SPOILERS*

why couldn't elizabeth just go with will on the ship and be with him?

*SPOILERS END*

(in reply to deckard1984)
Post #: 126
RE: Pirates 3!!!!! - 27/5/2007 5:29:58 PM   
kingalan

I enjoyed it. Thought it was a big improvement on DMC. Nice build to Jack's first appearance as opposed to his pointless first scene in DMC, some very brave and fairly downbeat choices plotwise, gorgeous to look at as always, brilliant final set-piece, great little grim pre-credit opener and a fairly solid end to the story IMO.

Okay, it was overlong and overly complex and Chow-Yun Fat was woefully underused but small gripes when the sheer fun of this world is so engrossing. Depp, as always stole it (this time without coming dangerously close to turning into a parody of himself a la DMC) and it was generally superior to the second installment.

< Message edited by kingalan -- 27/5/2007 5:30:38 PM >

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 127
RE: Pirates 3!!!!! - 27/5/2007 5:59:20 PM   
Heather_berry

I loved it and hated it in equal measure.

Loved the fast pace (after the first 3/4hour) and action sequences were divine.  Much better acting all round, Mr rush standing out!

Hated it because once again the plot was hard to follow, mainly through bad writing. The key plot points will be lost until the commentary again. Stop giving the hardest to understand characters the important exposition. I needed subtitles for Tia Dalma again and she and Davy are given incredibly important dialogue that is already causing a lot of clashes fun to watch though.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 128
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 27/5/2007 10:39:58 PM   
tomratcliffe

I went into the film thinking it would be very boring and would be a very long three hours, but wow, i was wrong. I really enjoyed the film and would recomend it. It is so much better than the apporling second film and almost lives up to the first.

Post #: 129
Pirates 3: Won't Finish Until The World Ends - 28/5/2007 1:05:22 AM   
CuttingRoomFloor

Look, it's the last scene. Oh no, this must be the actual last scene. no, there's one more. and then the end bit. and the post-credits coda....I don't mind crap, as long it's over reasonably quickly. Captain Jack couldn't even redeem this Pirates outing- the plot needed to go on a diet after the second film, not eat Christmas dinner and sit in a big chair all winter. Orlando and Keira are perhaps the least interesting heroic duo of all time, and Helen O' Hara must have seen some bonus Keith Richards footage i slept through, because his performance barely registered in our cinema never mind about being 'accomplished'. Yes, it was another visual triumph, but to no great effect. Too many egos, too many silly sub-plots and far too many cheap, laboured gags replacing the bite and charm of the first effort. And not nearly enough of Nighy's actual face. It was all a big horrible mess and with Spidey leaves the summer blockbuster season so far in tatters.

Post #: 130
RE: Pirates 3: Won't Finish Until The World Ends - 28/5/2007 2:19:21 AM   
Stalla

ok, it may have had it's faults (so many storylines going on it was difficult sometimes to follow - but you could still follow it), and it may not have been as funny as the other two - though with good reason, it was a more tragic series of events that ensue - i think it was still a good film. Aside from the awesome special effects, I thought the ending was so right for it. I'm not a soppy romantic usually, but i really did get a tennis ball sized lump in my throat as a result of the climax to the will and liz story. Tragic, but still in some ways happy... and yes, Jack's ending is perfect intro for another sequel, but then not necessarily. The main story arcs have been resolved and this is just introducing another, it still works without requiring a sequel (not to say i would necessarily not want a sequel...but will and liz shouldn't be in it if there were).

Also, the Hans Zimmer score was far superior to pirates 2.

I am Jack's raging bile duct.

(in reply to CuttingRoomFloor)
Post #: 131
RE: Pirates 3: Won't Finish Until The World Ends - 28/5/2007 5:47:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stalla

Aside from the awesome special effects, I thought the ending was so right for it. I'm not a soppy romantic usually, but i really did get a tennis ball sized lump in my throat as a result of the climax to the will and liz story. Tragic, but still in some ways happy...

The ending was one of the things that bothered me

*****SPOILERS*****

Fair enough, Will isn't dead (that would have been a downer), but even if Liz lives to be 100, she'll only see him 7 more times in her life. I reckon Norrington should have become captain of the Ducthman. His death was utterly pointless, and in the end he'd end up with an honourable job, something you just know he'd warm to. Bootsrap and the crew would become human again, and Liz and Will could live happily ever after. Heck, even having Bootstrap become the captain would have worked,

I have heard talk of a deleted voiceover which explained more to the Jones/Dalma backstory, and says that had she remained faithful to Jones, after his first 10 year stint he could have given up as captain and remained with her. As such, the same could happen with Will and Liz, and would make the post-credits sequence more valid and worthwhile.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 28/5/2007 5:48:25 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 132
Pirates swims! - 28/5/2007 12:24:04 PM   
trotter3000

good film only problem with it was a tad long and maybe a bit too much in it but came out saying 3/5 is perfectly fair..

Post #: 133
Loved It - 28/5/2007 12:31:51 PM   
Movie Mogul

After the disappointment of Spiderman 3, it's a nice surprise that PotC:AWE turns out to be a very good film. I loved Dead Man's Chest, so this more-of-the-same set-up is just what I needed. I love the trippy feel of the Purgatory-style scenes and there's some great dialogue. It's not your usual action-packed summer blockbuster, and it's certainly darker than you'd imagine, but it's well worth the wait. Role in PotC 4, if the rumours are true.

Post #: 134
Pillaging the formula for a successful trilogy - 28/5/2007 2:54:24 PM   
DeadlyAvenger

Clearly a very well researched trilogy; the first two had the black spot, peg legs, parrots, walking the plank and now we have eye patches, the green flash (a Scilonian legend) and a full menu of accurate historical pirate flags from Henry Every, Christopher Moody to Calico Jack and Blackbeard.

The finale tried hard on all fronts and came out tops on many but I can't help but think the plot was too all-over-the-place and some scenes had a little too much Johnny Depp in them. Excellent sea battles and good to see the return of many major and minor characters from the previous movies, some drawing parallels with characters from another great trilogy (almost confused Ragetti & Pintel for two droids in one scene).

Pirates has successfully pillaged the formula for success from Star Wars and Indiana Jones and will surely stand the test of time as they have... but for me, the second of the series is the best of the bunch (again).

< Message edited by DeadlyAvenger -- 28/5/2007 2:57:58 PM >

Post #: 135
TOO MUCH OF NOTHIG'S AIN'T ENOUGH - 28/5/2007 3:08:53 PM   
omarx

ENOUGH SAID

Post #: 136
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 28/5/2007 3:25:41 PM   
ellisjames

My wife and I saw POTC3 last night and gees, what a drag.

The plot was more convoluted than complicated and besides, that's no excuse for poor storytelling - any movie fan will happily be drawn into a complicated plot if the momentum and quality is there.

The movie was overly long, paced as if it was building to something without reward and killing any sense of comic momentum the poor, unfunny script might have offered up.

The supporting cast captured what the movie ought to (or could) have been in my opinion. The best acting by far was that of Tom Hollander as Beckett, with Geoffrey Rush and Bill Nighy also enjoyable to watch. But as much as it pains as a fan to say it, Depp was guffawing and camping all over the place like he was in panto. Keira Knightley was swaggering about like she could actually be plausible or believable as an action hero and, by far worst of all, Orlando Bloom, seemingly incapable of moving his acting beyond twitches of his squinty hero-frown shaded eyes and 'steely-lip-biting.' And when he appears on the bridge of the Flying Dutchman in bandana and eyeliner I could barely stifle a laugh at his new ladyboy look - I wouldn't have been too chuffed to find it was he who had been tasked with guiding my spirit off to the golden dry dock in the sky.

The effects don't justify the price of the ticket over the let down of the story and acting. Definitely wait for the DVD.

Simon Ellis

Post #: 137
Summer rained off? - 28/5/2007 5:16:11 PM   
Deeznutz

Another threequel that was quite frankly underwhelming. I'm all for sitting through a long movie when justified but this, along with Spidey, lacked any real focus and was determined to throw everything at the screen in a bid to entertain. It had many great moments which improved on the 2nd but it did not learn any lessons from it either its mix of ravishing visuals underpinned by incoherent dialogue and plotting. It'll make a shedload though.

Post #: 138
- 28/5/2007 6:44:03 PM   
Pirates!

Ok, so it was never going to be as good as the first film, because the first film was something that had never been done before, but I loved every second of this third installment and I am not ashamed to admit it! Unlike many, I didn't find the plot particularly confusing. I loved the fact that there was so much going on. After all, I hate most of the movies around today as they are typical one plus one equals two standard boring fare! I want a challenging plot that I have to pay attention to. I want a movie that captivates me for three hours straight. I want a movie that takes me away from drab reality for a while! What's wrong with that. Pirates 3 isn't an art-form people, it's a damn entertaining and well made film, the way films should be. Chill out, stop analysing and enjoy it. I only hope they make more....I really do.

Post #: 139
- 28/5/2007 6:54:22 PM   
Pirates!

Ok, so it was never going to be as good as the first film, because the first film was something that had never been done before, but I loved every second of this third installment and I am not ashamed to admit it! Unlike many, I didn't find the plot particularly confusing. I loved the fact that there was so much going on. After all, I hate most of the movies around today as they are typical one plus one equals two standard boring fare! I want a challenging plot that I have to pay attention to. I want a movie that captivates me for three hours straight. I want a movie that takes me away from drab reality for a while! What's wrong with that. Pirates 3 isn't an art-form people, it's a damn entertaining and well made film, the way films should be. Chill out, stop analysing and enjoy it. I only hope they make more....I really do.

Post #: 140
Sunk! - 28/5/2007 7:01:00 PM   
J_BUltimatum

The film was basically 3hours too long and all the good parts are in the trailer. It doesn't look good when in the first "dark" scene you think the film is in fact a musical! Where did it allgo wrong? When producers make a film franchise just to fill there already bulging wallets and don't care about telling a good story. They could at least develop the characters a bit. All in all, a big stinking turd!

Post #: 141
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 28/5/2007 7:22:19 PM   
Slinkson

Right lets get one thing straight I really enjoyed Dead Mans Chest and thought it was far better then Curse of the Black Pearl and after watching DMC thought I have to see part 3 in the cinema and while part 3 is generally enjoyable I thought it was no way as good as parts 1 or 2 , the beggining reminded me a lot of another 3rd part of a trilogy Return of the Jedi with your heroes sneaking into the villians lair to help free their comrade . It could have done with being shorter and the plots needed a lot of work some being overly complicated and convulated , Did not understand Tia Dalmas plot at all and I think it suffered with not having more Davy Jones in it . Geoffrey Rush is excellent and really steals the show from Depp , Keira has evolved from being the screaming damsel in distress from the first film to taking charge in some scenes , and Orlando Bloom is as wooden as usual  , Chow Yun Fat was wasted I felt , and what happened to the humour from the first two films .  The effects are excellent and very well done so in general a good but not brilliant film not as good as the first two but watchable , by far a lot better than Spider Man 3 probably the best film I have seen so far this year , so roll on FF 2 Rise of the Silver Surfer .

Post #: 142
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 28/5/2007 7:41:33 PM   
Paul2j

Really good film, didn't seem as long as it was from where I was sat - the intermission seemed almost unnecessary. Pretty much everytis tied up, yet the door is open for a 4th film. The appeal of Jack Sparrow in this still is far away from the original film, but this is better than Dead Man's Chest in my opinion.

8/10

(in reply to Slinkson)
Post #: 143
Superb! - 28/5/2007 8:01:48 PM   
mark lander

I thought this film was excellent, and for a Disney film quite surprising in places, we(my girlfriend and I) found it simply enjoyable, quickest 3hour film we've ever seen, never bored or confused, just a damn good ride all the way, Johnny Depp as ever excellent, and rest of cast as great too.

Post #: 144
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 28/5/2007 8:05:17 PM   
jpht197

Shame to end it this way - I really hope they don't make any more.  The story is way too complicated and the cast is way too big - the whole pirate leaders meeting makes little sense and doesn't add to the story.
Does it answer lots of questions? Yes
Do the leads look great? Yes
Are the SFX good? Yes
Does it leave you satisfied? No ......It lacks heart (excuse the ref)
Any it is way too long... there are only so many ships you can watch being blown apart! And the first 1/2 hr with no captain Jack .... shows he was POTC.
So good bits but lots of filler.  Oh and the monkey steals every scene its in!
And a word of warning if you are going to take kids - its quite violent (people being shot in the head at close range etc.)
Doesn't bode well for a summer of sequals.... 

< Message edited by jpht197 -- 28/5/2007 8:06:47 PM >

Post #: 145
- 28/5/2007 8:23:56 PM   
captain jack harknes

Very excited about this film but I felt a little let down in some places: 1) it seemed a bit too easy to rescue Jack they sailed up then turned the ship upside down and voila! 2) The multiple Jack's were annoying and unnecessary, as much as I like Johnny Depp one is enough and 3) after a big build up all the goddess did was turn into crabs and change the weather I was left feeling is that it? What was the point of her?.

Apart from these three minor niggles I loved this film and after finding Orlando Bloom a bit unattractive in this trilogy, as a captain with a scarred chest the first sight of him as captain of the flying dutchmen - WOW! He looked hot!

I loved the twist that left Elizabeth Swann the king of the pirates, it was unexpected and inspired! And I unlike most of those in the cinema waited around for the bit after the credits! Jack stealing the map at the end was also fun and brought back a bit of the character we fell in love with in the original!! Not as good as it could have been but the best film I think I'll see this year. Loved it!!

Post #: 146
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 28/5/2007 8:25:08 PM   
benmharper

Saw it today and really enjoyed it. It was long but the time flew by. Thought it was left open for a fourth without kiera and Orlando, (Maybe cameos at most)

< Message edited by benmharper -- 28/5/2007 8:40:38 PM >

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to jpht197)
Post #: 147
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 28/5/2007 9:49:31 PM   
Grunny

I think this was a nice end to the saga! But the ending to me said that their might be a fourth film but as the concluded the Will and Elizabeth story in the ten years later section, they really arn't needed for the sequals, PLUS Keira and Bloom don't want to do another one, So we might have a forth film abot Captin Jack's quest for the fountain of youth which could be fun!

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 148
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 28/5/2007 10:55:59 PM   
Horror Nut

Don't get me wrong, the action sequences were spectacular, and Rush and Depp's performances were great. It was just everything else. The plot was a mess (I gave up about halfway through), it went on for too long (It could have been cut by at least 20 odd minutes) and once again Orlando and Keira's performances were as wooden as a great oak. Not only that, but Chow Yun Fat's character was badly under-used.
So far, both of the threequels that I've seen (This and Spidey) have been quite disappointing. Hopefully, the other summer blockbusters can deliever better. Hopefully...

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 149
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 28/5/2007 11:49:00 PM   
Bad Movie Year

There was a good hour of the film, mainly in Jabba's palace at the beginning and the CGI fest at the end, that worked for me but it is a three hour film. It's good when the characters are all headed in the same direction, but when it decends into doublecross against doublecross with everybody at odds with one another it falls to pieces.

As for Keira - King of the Pirates it was a terrible idea executed poorly.

"AHHHHH, Not the bees."

(in reply to Horror Nut)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Confused Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI