Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 12/8/2010 12:41:31 PM   
stevolegendbauer

Starts off ok and ends with a fantastic battle. But the focus is switched from Jack to Will and Elizabeth and the plot is all over the place. When you actually look at Elizabeths character arc over the films it makes no sense. You cant go from damsel-in-distress to giving rousing speeches as pirate king. Depp dazzles as always and Becket's death is breathtaking.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 331
- 10/1/2011 2:07:44 PM   
Boromirs Redemption

This ended up being a right old mess. Sure, it looked great. Sure. Johnny Depp is - as always - ace when on the screen.But other than that, there really isn't much to this one. It's got so overblown that I'm actually glad to see the back of most of the characters and the frankly ridiculous storyline. Bloom and Knightley are so bloody awful it hurts my eyes and the plot (if one exists) is stupid and confusing even to most harded Pirates fans. The only exception, cast wise, is Rush's excellent Barbossa. He truly helps lift the film especially when the outstanding Depp is off screen. Which sadly he is for much of this beached whale of a film.

Post #: 332
- 10/1/2011 2:07:54 PM   
Boromirs Redemption

This ended up being a right old mess. Sure, it looked great. Sure. Johnny Depp is - as always - ace when on the screen.But other than that, there really isn't much to this one. It's got so overblown that I'm actually glad to see the back of most of the characters and the frankly ridiculous storyline. Bloom and Knightley are so bloody awful it hurts my eyes and the plot (if one exists) is stupid and confusing even to most harded Pirates fans. The only exception, cast wise, is Rush's excellent Barbossa. He truly helps lift the film especially when the outstanding Depp is off screen. Which sadly he is for much of this beached whale of a film.

Post #: 333
Not to be labelled as the worst in the four films - 28/5/2011 10:06:22 AM   
trainedasninja

My opinion of this film randomly improved after watching On Stranger Tides. Sure its got OTT moments such as the singing at the start for one (what were they thinking?...) but after watching the fourth these seem inconviences to a plot that at least goes somewhere. The film looks great and has impressive action sequences plus some great Jack Sparrow moments. Its ironic that the lack of motives that is a flaw with this one seem nothing in comparison to its sequel. In which not one character seems to have any loyalty to another. The betrayal here is utilitarian and at the end they do unite in a showdown that is worth a star in its own right. Plus the Tia Dalma/Calypso charcter once again brings a compelling presense to the team - 3 stars from me

Post #: 334
“A touch of destiny” Seriously? - 3/6/2011 8:59:44 AM   
neopol

A PIRATE: Murder, kidnapper, rapist and violent thief. Now I’m not going get into some middle class argument about the fact that this franchise is projecting inaccurate image of pirates from the 17oo’s, which they obviously are. Jack Sparrow is an anti-heroic rogue but in real life he would have been someone who your children would have feared. But that’s the fun of film, allowing us to put down reality, suspend our disbelief and play pirates for a couple of hours.

The problem is that At World’s End takes this too far. The pirates in this, the third film of the now flagging franchise, are a Nation, with a way of life, a culture to be respected as should any other. WHAT?! No! They’re pirates! Evil, thieving, philandering PIRATES!

In the opening sequence, pirates and those who associate with them are being hung, and we’re supposed to feel sorry for them? Is this a misjudgment? Has Gore finally lost the plot? I think he defiantly has. Within five minutes of the Walt Disney logo a child has been hung. Is this really was Uncle Walt had in mind when he was drawing Snow White?

But having said that, this is not the bulk of the problem, but merely the core, rotten though it is. Johnny Depp is absent for the first 25 minutes, not good. The film opens with a sequence in Shanghai which is bring, long and overblown to the extreme. It could simply be removed without any impact on the film.

Then we arrive at Davie Jones’ Locker to retrieve Jack, as he was eaten by the Kracken in the last film. Job done. Next! Now, with Davie Jones under the control of the Evil English Lord Becket, it’s up to the eponymous Pirates to save their noble way of life… Enter Keith Richards! Who was a disappointment to say the least, so please, exit Keith Richards.

It turns out that Jack Sparrow, Barbossa and co. are all Pirate Lords… Yes, you heard right and due to yet another pointless sequence with Chow Yun-Fat, completely waste

Post #: 335
Almost the Best of the Franchise - 15/1/2012 11:12:35 AM   
Jimmick007

This may be the most expensive film ever made, but the important thing is its easy to see why. The costume, make up, and above all special effects are of another world. The influence of this film on the mind though is more than the amazing sights. The true personalities and histories of all the characters are revealed in a confusing but intelligent way. In my view, only Curse of the Black Pearl is the better Pirates Film

Post #: 336
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Review - 26/2/2012 9:54:01 PM   
the film man

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End provides the thrilling action scenes, but mixes in too many characters with too many incomprehensible plot threads. This is also the most expensive movie ever made by the way.

Post #: 337
RE: Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Review - 4/2/2013 11:58:13 PM   
dseys

What a surprise, i would've never thought there could be so much hate for this movie! I find it a bold, generous, epic conclusion that closes every storyline, gives every character a proper end, is visually stunning, funny and FAR from conventional. Cinematography was awesome. And Hans Zimmer was at his best.

To the people complaining the story is "a mess" or "far too complicated", i'd just say: watch it again, but this time with your brain turned on. I know it might be unusual when watching a blockbuster, but this is definitely NOT the average Marvel blockbuster!

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 338
RE: Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End Review - 5/2/2013 12:00:07 PM   
shool

It may wrap everything up... but its still boring.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 339
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI