Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

a mess

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> a mess Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
a mess - 19/6/2007 7:50:00 PM   
Professional Pirate

Too many ideas, some of them good, none of them successfully followed through. I enjoyed all the double crossingness in the second one, which a lot of people didn't like, but this was ridiculous. What was the point of the Chinese pirates, besides using up some eastern-style costumes hanging round at the Disney backlot? Why was so much fuss made about letting that goddess free when all she actually did was make one whirlpool? Most importantly, these films are supposed to be fun and there was very little to be had. I'd have been happier watching Mackenzie Crook, his bearded friend and the monkey run round for 3 hours (I sense a spin-off).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 271
a mess - 19/6/2007 7:50:16 PM   
Professional Pirate

Too many ideas, some of them good, none of them successfully followed through. I enjoyed all the double crossingness in the second one, which a lot of people didn't like, but this was ridiculous. What was the point of the Chinese pirates, besides using up some eastern-style costumes hanging round at the Disney backlot? Why was so much fuss made about letting that goddess free when all she actually did was make one whirlpool? Most importantly, these films are supposed to be fun and there was very little to be had. I'd have been happier watching Mackenzie Crook, his bearded friend and the monkey run round for 3 hours (I sense a spin-off).

Post #: 272
Meh! - 20/6/2007 11:26:46 AM   
Mr Grizzly

Over-ambitious and unnecessarily complicated but I found it more satisifying than the second. I think it's very similar to the Matrix movies, they've just tried to do too much spoiling what made the first one so great.

Post #: 273
Meh! - 20/6/2007 11:27:03 AM   
Mr Grizzly

Over-ambitious and unnecessarily complicated but I found it more satisifying than the second. I think it's very similar to the Matrix movies, they've just tried to do too much spoiling what made the first one so great.

Post #: 274
RE: Meh! - 21/6/2007 12:12:37 AM   
Rotary Ten

There was no need for the POTC sequels to be made, they got the first one right, tied up the story neatly etc. But I'm happy with the sequels. They're fun.

(in reply to Mr Grizzly)
Post #: 275
Yo ho ho - 21/6/2007 12:41:58 PM   
trueborndjross

Really enjoyed this one, especially after the disappointment of Pirates 2. It's definitely a bit darker in places with people getting shot in the head and stuff but there's a lot of fun in here as well especially from Depp and Rush. And Knightley is always good to look at! The effects are absolutely amazing as well. A bit long though - some bits could have been cut out but they didn't detract from the overall film. But please let's end this journey on a high!

Post #: 276
Yo ho ho - 21/6/2007 12:42:16 PM   
trueborndjross

Really enjoyed this one, especially after the disappointment of Pirates 2. It's definitely a bit darker in places with people getting shot in the head and stuff but there's a lot of fun in here as well especially from Depp and Rush. And Knightley is always good to look at! The effects are absolutely amazing as well. A bit long though - some bits could have been cut out but they didn't detract from the overall film. But please let's end this journey on a high!

Post #: 277
Yo ho ho - 21/6/2007 12:42:30 PM   
trueborndjross

Post #: 278
Enough already - 1/7/2007 2:10:00 AM   
Dr. Benway

Too long, too loud, too convoluted. Those three things sum up the third (and hopefully last) of the POTC movies. Keira Knightly was nice to look at, but Johnny Depp has just become grating. And what's with the story? It occured to me half way through the movie that I had no idea what was going on. It was incoherent!

Post #: 279
Enough already - 1/7/2007 2:10:19 AM   
Dr. Benway

Too long, too loud, too convoluted. Those three things sum up the third (and hopefully last) of the POTC movies. Keira Knightly was nice to look at, but Johnny Depp has just become grating. And what's with the story? It occured to me half way through the movie that I had no idea what was going on. It was incoherent!

Post #: 280
RE: Enough already - 2/7/2007 3:27:11 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

*** SPOILERS ***

I avoided watching this because virtually everyone I know has slagged it off - however the other day I was dragged along by someone and had to go. And everyone who slagged it off was right because it was  a mess of a movie, with the best bit being the spectacular splintering destruction of The Endeavour at the end.

Keira Knightley was bland as usual, Orlando Bloom was even blander and not even Johnny Depp could save it, the break neck speed of the film not allowing him to do his stuff. I didn't even think the setpieces were that great - nothing matched the Kraken in the second movie

This film has completed a trio of threequel disappointments for me with Shrek 3 + Spiderman 3

(in reply to Dr. Benway)
Post #: 281
- 6/7/2007 11:02:13 AM   
minotaur3004

Being such a huge fan of the first 2 movies i have got to say that i am dissapointed, i couldnt understand the plot and what was going on when the black pearl and the flying dutchman were attached to each other, Jack sparrow was terrible, i nearlly fell asleep watching him with his illusions. The only part of the movie that wasnt even solidly entertaining that i enjoyed a bit was the fight in the end but it was such a waste and couldve been much better. Oh yea and chow yum fat died so soon in the movie. wat a shame

Post #: 282
- 8/7/2007 4:56:43 PM   
Willetts

Jack was not funny in this film. The locker scene was too long and slow. The audience watching pirates 3 don't want to see a dark 'thrilling' scary mysteriously strange film. They want to see a fun light-hearted ride!
Otherwise the film is visually amazing and the ending's climax is stunning

This film makes the disapointing pirates2 look like a masterpiece.

Post #: 283
? - 8/7/2007 4:56:46 PM   
Willetts

All that fuss over the Kraken to find it dead on a beach...*groan*

< Message edited by Willetts -- 8/7/2007 5:05:24 PM >

Post #: 284
RE: ? - 8/7/2007 10:45:40 PM   
Samuelpoet

Well I'm not going to spend too long ranting and raving about this film,but I went to see it yesterday and well was really disappointed in this so called Summer Block Buster, even thought the trailer was impressive. But what was positive was how various characters met their end, and how the film more or less ended at how the first one began, and I really think thats how it should stay... If theres a hint of a forth one and I pray to god there isn't but if there is, I don't think I'd be tempted to see it...

The special effects and soundtrack were superb, the acting was mainly average, but when it came to stealing the show, well I think Geoffery Rush and Johnny Depp were the ones that made it good. I'm sorry Keira, but you weren't at your best. Never thought I would hear myself say that.

(in reply to Willetts)
Post #: 285
- 9/7/2007 3:28:45 PM   
Suzy

Definitely too long. If it wasn't for Captain Jack I think I would've nodded of. There was definitely too much happening in terms of plot to be able to follow properly but aside from that it was a very enjoyable film. I am not a real movie snob anyway and I just relaxed and enjoyed to film for what it was, over the top adventure.

Post #: 286
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 9/7/2007 7:14:58 PM   
dazjones56

The majority of people on here are saying they didn't know what was going on for the first half of this film... It's quite simple- NOTHING.

Post #: 287
RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 12/7/2007 10:26:38 PM   
bamba

Worst sequel EVER!!!!  I cannot express how much I hated this film.  More double crossing, pointless extra characters, will and elizabeth being boring and arguing.  What a complete pointless waste of my life.  I think the end of this film just cancelled out the trilogy.  LOVE pirates 1, hate Pirates 2, loath Pirates 3.  Well done Disney!!

(in reply to dazjones56)
Post #: 288
RE: - 12/7/2007 10:46:41 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Suzy

Definitely too long. If it wasn't for Captain Jack I think I would've nodded of. There was definitely too much happening in terms of plot to be able to follow properly but aside from that it was a very enjoyable film. I am not a real movie snob anyway and I just relaxed and enjoyed to film for what it was, over the top adventure.

Just because a person wants a plot to make some kind of sense, it doesn't make them a movie snob. The film doesn't have to be 100% believable but it has to make sense in its own way and the Pirates films don't.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Suzy)
Post #: 289
- 15/7/2007 6:40:25 PM   
sull26

With this being easily the weakest in the trilogy, there were some good bits amongst the gloom - there are some good fights and set pieces, Geofrey Rush was brilliant once again (although he was better as a baddie in the original), Johnny Depp is entertaining as ever (even if he did appear to be a little deflated compared to the second one), and as expected there was an occasional laugh (mostly from either the monkey or the tiny pirate). But, too much was going on that didn't need to be - a giant goddess made of crabs thrown in here, a double cross thrown in there (and here, and there), extra characters introduced when the cast is huge anyway.... And the ending appears to be trying to be punchy by giving the impression that things won't (or haven't) end well, by also leaving everyone's character plots open in case the studio wants to make some more money next year. All in all it's a confusing finale to an otherwise brilliant trilogy. But lets just hope that it is exactly that - a finale!

Post #: 290
Why do you disagree..........? - 16/7/2007 7:16:55 PM   
simont16

Yes, I agree that it is too long and the plot was mixed up BUT it answers vital questions and the balance of humour with the action on screen was perfect. People who say that Keria and Orlando were bland, they need to the relevance with the character's relationship between each other

Post #: 291
good - 17/7/2007 2:53:01 PM   
ryanand conor

if youre a fan of pirates then you will enjoy this but it cant cope without johnny depp. funny and a bit too long the only down side is if you need the toilet!!

Post #: 292
- 18/7/2007 6:37:19 PM   
cluesy

I was over enthusiastic about the second film and have now realised this but the third film holds no illusions for me. It has magnificent special effects and can be quite funny but it's also mind-bogglingly confusing, overlong and at times utterly stupid. At the end of the day, it was a farily decent mix og good and bad.

Post #: 293
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - 24/7/2007 5:10:51 PM   
monkeyfish

At one point in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film, At World's End, one very minor returning character remarks of our returning hero Jack Sparrow: "Do you think he plans it all out or just makes it up as he goes along?" The same could easily be said of Pirates writers Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio, the minds behind the fun fairytale subversion of Shrek, The Mask of Zorro and the previous two Pirates of the Caribbean films. Once more, with At World's End, we are faced with a plot that, like its central character, is completely unpredictable, swinging one way and then the other. Naturally, this is both the great charm of the Pirates franchise and of the roguish anti-hero himself but also its achilles heel. For every unexpected twist, there is a sequence of incredibly confusing double crosses that simply bog the plot down. Like Sparrow, it has never been entirely clear if Elliot and Rossio have any idea where any of this is going, a sense not exactly damaged by rumours of filming beginning with an unfinished script and constant on set re-writes, yet just like their hero, they are suddenly capable of producing moments of sheer genius that make you suspect maybe this was all part of their plan all along.

One thing is for certain with the third Pirates film. This is no ordinary Disney summer blockbuster, Elliot and Rossio, along with director Gore Verbinski and uber-producer Jerry Bruckheimer, make some bold and surprising choices in the plot. The film opens on a mass hanging of men, women and even children known to be pirates or associates of pirates. This sets a tone that manages to be genuinely dark while still providing the light touch of the previous films. Meanwhile, Elliot, Rossio and Verbinski have no qualms about killing off some quite significant characters from the earlier films. One, in particular, has very little part to play in At World's End but manages a notably affecting final scene as our heroes attempt to return from their rescue of Jack, confined to Davy Jones' Locker. The ship passes by thousands of boats rowed by the dead, a beautifully shot and powerful vision of the afterlife.

Indeed, the first third of At World's End, the rescue of Jack, could have made an excellent movie in itself as it is the sequence in which the film is at its most visually inventive and spectacular. Once again, Pirates of the Caribbean benefits from quite excellent production design, cinematography and computer effects. While the resurrected Barbossa sails the Black Pearl's former crew on a junk from Singapore through icy seas and giant waterfalls, Jack is going slowly insane. The scenes of Jack in the locker are over disappointingly briefly as they offer particularly weird fantasies, from the Pearl isolated in a desert crewed by multiple Jacks to the wonderfully strange pebble crabs. Meanwhile, Geoffrey Rush is a delight, back as Barbossa and gleefully chewing the scenery and almost stealing the movie from Johnny Depp. Less evil but possibly more mad than his Curse of the Black Pearl incarnation, Barbossa is the perfect person to lead the crew to losing themselves in the land of the dead, cackling brilliantly as the ship spills over the huge waterfall. Meanwhile, his bickering with Jack as they both attempt to take control of the Pearl is brilliant.

The final battle is equally amazing, providing a spectacle like nothing you've ever seen before as the Black Pearl battles Davy Jones' fish people crew on the Flying Dutchman (look out in particular for the pirate with an eel for a head, not appearing in Dead Man's Chest but with much to do here). The CGI effects are seamless here, even as tentacles and water fly everywhere it looks perfectly real. The sequence is exhilarating and packed with action all over, Jack fighting Davy Jones atop the Dutchman's mast for the chest is a stand out moment. However, the centre piece is the impromptu wedding held in the very brief pauses between the violent action. This scene has everything, genuinely exhilarating action mixed with the breezy comedy of the whole series, Rush presiding over things superbly as Barbossa and Orlando Bloom's Will and Keira Knightley's Elizabeth finally showing the spark and chemistry that Knightley had with Depp in the last film. There are even more twists and turns as the grand battle sequence ends in a distinctly surprising but clever way.

This is not to say that At World's End is a classic from beginning to end. Those who had problems with Dead Man's Chest's messy and sometimes confusing plot will find little to counter their complaints here. The central portion is a confusing mess of double and triple crosses as it is impossible to follow the very allegiances and motivations of the central characters. This all builds up to a scene where the various pirate lords gather to squabble and debate and vote. While it is nice that every time the pirates attempt to get together and unite against a common enemy they end up squabbling and brawling, this becomes a little tiresome and has none of the fun of the bar brawl in Dead Man's Chest. However, one good moment does come in Keith Richards' surprisingly competent and charismatic performance, while this portion of the film does allow Kevin McNally's Mr. Gibbs a couple of good lines, notably at the expense of pirates inability to come up with original names, with great interplay with Depp in the "Larry" moment.

While Depp continues to be perfect in the role of the sozzled swashbuckler and unpredictable rogue, relishing the opportunity to go more out of his mind and interact with multiple versions of himself, and Rush and Bill Nighy as Davy Jones excel, At World's End proves more difficult for its young heroes. Bloom and Knightley have come in for some unwarranted flak for their earlier performances but here they do occasionally struggle with the material. Knightley is unable to convincingly pull off the rousing speech she is given before the final battle while Bloom, always perfectly cast as the moral straight man hero Will, hasn't the talent or the range to cope with Will's turning to darker and more confused motivations. However, the chemistry they have discovered between them allows you to forgive these blips because you are finally routing for Will and Elizabeth to be together, resulting in an ending that proves genuinely romantic in a very unexpected way, their final scene also providing a very un-Disney not very subtle suggestion of sex.

While the ending leaves things open for a Pirates 4, this story would appear to tie things up nicely for Will and Elizabeth. Certainly, the possibly excessive imagination on show here implies Elliot and Rossio have enough left in them for a few more pirate adventures. Probably, it would be better for future instalments of the series to be individual stand alone stories rather than back-to-back sequels, however, taking Dead Man's Chest and At World's End as a whole, what we are left with is one grand, ambitious, hubristic, messy, beautiful, funny, exciting, confusing, unexpected, spectacular and, above all, supremely entertaining story. ****

Post #: 294
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!! - 3/8/2007 2:08:01 PM   
ben101

this film highlights what is wrong with big budget hollywood movies today.just throw lots of money at it , plenty of cgi and nobody will notice that it has no plot ,more hammy acting than babe and kiera is so thin she's practically transparentis .avoid

Post #: 295
Rubbish - 4/8/2007 3:49:40 PM   
Tony Soprano

Utter garbage don't waste any time for this you will regret it never hated being in a cinema since godzilla

Post #: 296
Well I finally saw it - 15/8/2007 12:30:54 AM   
kevmanwilly

I finally saw it after being put off by many tepid reviews. Suffice to say that it exceeded all my expectations and I loved it. It doesn't have quite the same fresh wit of The Curse Of The Black Pearl, but the vistas are stunning and the maelstrom sequence is something very special indeed. I want to see again, two hours after it finished at Leicester Square!

Post #: 297
- 15/8/2007 11:49:29 AM   
Big Alex

Epic in the making, teh action blazes and the adventure keep's travaling at 200 mph. Johnny Depp reprises his role as Captain Jack Sparrow as do Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley in an all out epic adventure, that certainly lay hand's on deck as one of the bset summer film's to be released this year along with Spiderman 3, Rush Hour and Transformer's.

The action keep's rolling and the comedy keep's flowwing. So enjoy an epic sea adventure giving twist's, turn's and excitment all along the way.

Post #: 298
- 15/8/2007 11:50:54 AM   
Big Alex

Epic in the making, the action blazes and the adventure keep's travaling at 200 mph. Johnny Depp reprises his role as Captain Jack Sparrow as do Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley in an all out epic adventure, that certainly lay hand's on deck as one of the bset summer film's to be released this year along with Spiderman 3, Rush Hour and Transformer's.

The action keep's rolling and the comedy keep's flowwing. So enjoy an epic sea adventure giving twist's, turn's and excitment all along the way.

Post #: 299
Average to the Nth degree - 21/8/2007 3:26:24 PM   
Balloo the dog

Pirates of the caribean 3 isn't necissarily a bad film, but it's not a good film. the plot is messy and certain parts make you want to squirm at how bad it is. But the action and special effects (excluding the huge woman thing which was shit) are still extremely good, in all average.

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> a mess Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI