Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BFI Anime

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: BFI Anime Page: <<   < prev  37 38 39 40 [41]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BFI Anime - 26/9/2013 3:52:02 PM   
elab49

I wouldn't hold my breath. Wolf Children got a few showings late last year and was in Glasgow in Feb but the DVD doesn't come out till Dec. Some of the Anime fest from last year are still MIA.

Garden of Words will be showing at Scotland Loves Anime next month, so I'd guess possibly the same, if at all.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 1201
RE: BFI Anime - 27/9/2013 4:59:20 PM   
elab49

http://www.alltheanime.com/garden-of-words-announcement/

You might be in luck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1202
RE: BFI Anime - 30/9/2013 2:56:10 PM   
elab49

Glasgow Film Theatre has a mystery film during the Scotland Loves Anime season next month. It's apparently a family film, traditionally drawn and not yet released in Japan? Is there the vaguest hope in hell that it could be Princess Kaguya?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1203
RE: BFI Anime - 1/10/2013 5:03:11 PM   
boove

Great news about Garden of Words. Thanks very much for the link. Let me know if you spot any release dates.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1204
RE: BFI Anime - 23/11/2013 11:40:09 AM   
Chojin

So what's everyone watching at the moment? I've also been quite fortunate in that when I moved teams in my job a month or so ago there's not one, but two anime fans in the team

I'm currently still making my way through Gintama and i'm 207/265 episodes in! I plan to be done by the new year...

I definitely wouldn't agree with the 5/5 reviews but I can see where the praise comes from. It's a different kind of Shonen show with a very thin over-arcing plot that only turns up once in every 50 or so episodes. The majority of the time slapstick and cultural word-play jokes take center stage. Now, I like comedy, but word plays where I have to read a sentence of text explaining 'this is a word play joke' aren't going to get a laugh from me - so the majority of the comedy falls flat. There are also a lot of pop culture reference jokes specific to japanese television which again, will need explaining and thus lose any chance of being comedic.

However there are rare moments of brilliance that cross the cultural divide and can be accessible to all. I can think of two episode scenarios (both relating to toilet humor) which had me in fits of laughter - but other than 2 episodes out of 200 the show rarely gets a laugh from me - and when this is the shows main premise it's just not good enough.

(one of the best episodes has the main character and a rival character handcuffed together and they both need the toilet but spend 15 minutes debating how to go without humiliating eachother with hilarious diagrams and anime suspense scenes thrown in)

There are also a handful of episodes which take on a more serious tone and more Naruto/Bleach-like in nature with big fights. But this just leaves you wanting more action and less of the word-plays and japanese pop culture jokes.

I wouldn't say that this is a bad anime and has its place but it just doesn't rate as a 5/5 for me personally, I think i'm quite a fan of the traditional Shonen action/fighting type anime/manga and this show was put in place to poke fun at shows I like. So I think it's meant for people that are tired of the same old thing, which i'm not :)

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 1205
RE: BFI Anime - 25/11/2013 4:15:25 PM   
boove

I have nearly finished Attack On Titan and I am bloody loving it!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1206
RE: BFI Anime - 1/12/2013 8:23:51 AM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: boove
I have nearly finished Attack On Titan and I am bloody loving it!

That one is on my watch list as soon as I finish Gintama - it's been recommended by so many people

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 1207
RE: BFI Anime - 2/12/2013 3:09:51 PM   
Lensman 23

Attack on Titan is awesome!!! I have a retro 8bit sound file as my ringtone!

In terms of movies - anything worth while out there to watch?

I watched Summer Wars again and love it so. Any quality hand drawn anime movies you recommend people??

Twitter: @MrSehdeva
PSN: Lensman23

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1208
RE: BFI Anime - 9/1/2014 7:55:21 AM   
Chojin

Just started Titan last night and blasted through the first 6 episodes, I don't think this one is going to last long!

It really is a brilliant way of telling an extremely simple plot.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 1209
RE: BFI Anime - 9/1/2014 11:50:11 AM   
elab49

I've got that lined up on Crunchyroll after one of the chaps I follow on Twitter had it as his anime of the year.

quote:

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1210
RE: BFI Anime - 10/1/2014 5:33:22 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I've got that lined up on Crunchyroll after one of the chaps I follow on Twitter had it as his anime of the year.

It really is brilliant. I'm almost half way now. It's shows like this that remind me why I watch anime. A true gem.

Edit: I watched the last 10 episodes last night back to back and i'm trying to think of any Anime which I prefer to this one. It's a masterpeice and has it all - the pacing, the storyline, twists and turns, hyper-violence, epic fights, characters you care about and it's all topped off by truly cutting edge animation.

This will be one that I will recommend for years to come.....I can hardly type this but I think I actually prefer it to my all time favorite of Berserk. As far as I can tell this is a more faithful adaptation of a manga with no filler and a shitty 'anime only' ending wasn't introduced to tidy it up nicely.

Can't wait for the inevitable second season.

< Message edited by Chojin -- 14/1/2014 7:33:54 AM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1211
RE: All Things Anime - 15/2/2014 7:24:53 AM   
Chojin

Watched quite a bit of new stuff recently:

Hellsing: Ultimate

This is a series which i've been wanting to watch since 2006...which is a long time to wait! I loved the original series as it was one of my first fansubbed series that I ever watched. Previously i'd been limited by whatever output Manga UK and ADV decided to release on DVD/VHS and all of a sudden I had the freedom of the fansub community. HU is a movie quality OVA series with one episode being released every 6-12 months which follows the manga storyline without any filler or expansion. With this sporadic release pattern I didn't want to follow it for 5+ years and wanted to be able to watch in in a batch.

The good parts are the animation and adult nature of the fights. It really doesn't hold back and the action is non-stop in your face.

On the other hand character development and plot take a back seat and it's as dumb as it gets. There are some really intriguing parts to the story such as the history of vampires in this world, who Alucard really is and each characters motivations. Brief flashback segments are about all you're going to get.

Dumb, beautifully animated and action packed with a storyline that is as faithful as you can get to an original manga. Just really don't expect much from the story other than Nazi Vampires try to take over the world and factions try to take them down.

3/5

Zetman

A poor mans Guyver/Devilman hybrid. Shadowy organisation creates good guy monster to take down rogue monsters from said organisation. Apparently doesn't follow the original manga at all. Not worth your time.

2/5

Btooom!

A really welcome surprise. This is a gem of a series.

Think Battle Royale but with everyone getting types of grenades as weapons (homing, proximity, impact, timer etc). It's a great premise which despite being rehashed quite a few times I do love me a survival game series. It made me want to check out the manga so it's doing its job! Likeable leads and a pull you in plot make this a recommended watch.

4/5

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 1212
RE: All Things Anime - 2/5/2014 5:45:21 PM   
elab49

Seems to be a new trend of using Kickstarter for anime. All the Anime used it to get an English release for Mai Mai Miracle (they may have gotten a dub as well as sub, although there's a subbed version R3) and now they have a new one up to create a special release for Patema Inverted, with the intent that it's a limited edition that's basically being created and sold via Kickstarter - anything out of the limited print run will go on Amazon for more than double what they can get it for there.

I'm wondering if other small distributors might try something similar, particularly in an area like anime with a niche market.

quote:

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1213
RE: All Things Anime - 18/5/2014 6:27:42 PM   
Chojin

I just got back from seeing The Wind Rises at Odeon, Swiss Cottage. Not sure how charging 16 for a ticket is legal but there you go....suppose it's because the seats are larger than average and you get your own cup holders. But it was cold as hell with the air con turned right up to max.

Also couldn't see it at my 'local' Bedford Cineworld as they weren't playing it at all, and Milton Keynes only had one subbed showing.....

Anyway, the film.

I came out of it saying that if a Ghibli film is going to be real world based rather than fictional, it has to have characters that you care about. But this film was just boring for lack of a better word. I'm all for slower films with less action but the story was so extremely slow and focused on plane manufacturing.

So personally it wasn't for me, probably my least liked Ghibli film - and I liked Whisper of the Heart and Grave of the Fireflies so i'm not opposed to non-fantastical Ghibli.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1214
RE: All Things Anime - 20/5/2014 9:18:10 PM   
elab49

I wouldn't agree it's a dry tome about making planes. It's about dreams - of flying and flying machines. Such a lovely fit to Miyazaki coming again and again to flying in his earlier films.

And I'd put the animalistic rumble of the earthquake up with the best of Ghibli

quote:

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1215
RE: All Things Anime - 1/6/2014 5:33:59 PM   
rich

Has anyone seen Redline. It's pretty ridiculous. Kinda like F-ZeroX in movie format.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1216
RE: All Things Anime - 1/6/2014 7:54:35 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Has anyone seen Redline. It's pretty ridiculous. Kinda like F-ZeroX in movie format.

Yeah I watched this at one of the all nighters on the big screen, it was insane and just the wake up call we needed in the early hours

On my 'to watch' list is the below - it's got some great reviews all round and i'm really looking forward to getting stuck in

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=7251

Edit: I also recently caught the third series of Hajime No Ippo - I try to recommend this to as many anime fans as I can as it seems to be one that passes so many people by. It's made by Mad House and is just amazing for action, comedy and character development. It's such a must watch and don't let the Boxing premise put you off - I don't like Boxing at all but loved this show and there's now 125+ episodes to plow through which apparently covers less than 50% of the manga storyline.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=129

< Message edited by Chojin -- 1/6/2014 7:57:34 PM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1217
RE: All Things Anime - 4/6/2014 10:34:30 PM   
rich

Yeah I don't have time for long running serials. I just saw Tokyo Godfathers after a long time meaning to get around to it...

Wonderful.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1218
RE: All Things Anime - 2/8/2014 5:01:29 PM   
Chojin

Just got done watching the latest Appleseed CGI film which is a prequel rather than a continuation and takes place prior to the main characters finding Olympus.

As always with these films it takes a while to get used to the new art style. I loved Ex Machina and I think the art style was just right between looking realistic and retaining an anime look and feel. This film goes for more realistic CGI which I'm less a fan of.

It's a darker tale taking place in the wasteland without the bright lights of Olympus to fall back on and has a very simple plot which is strange for an Appleseed film. The soundtrack was immense and gave some great energy to the scenes. A lot of heavy bass and dubstep was used

Overall another solid Appleseed film - I would recommend checking it out if you're a fan of the franchise like me.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1219
RE: All Things Anime - 4/8/2014 5:53:59 PM   
rich

Kinda sad news, but not quite as depressing as original reports made out http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/04/studio-ghibli-dead-yet

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1220
RE: All Things Anime - 7/8/2014 6:02:31 PM   
Chojin

Finally got around to watching Wolf Children last night and it was amazing. Much better than anything Ghibli have put out in the past few years in my opinion. Engaging and beautiful coming of age story - much recommended!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1221
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 39 40 [41]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: BFI Anime Page: <<   < prev  37 38 39 40 [41]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI