Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: All Things Anime

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: All Things Anime Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All Things Anime - 25/1/2012 10:35:46 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Currently still catching up with Bleach. I had about 11 episodes of non-filler episodes and have four left until i'm up to date.

......does anyone rate this? It's damn awful! no sense of direction, slow pacing and crap new characters. At least the Espada had some backstory and the characters were fleshed out slightly. Fullbring is total BS - the souls in inanimate objects?

The steam has well and truly run out for this series!

I've a couple of mates who've kept reading ... and I've given up. They've never been too excited by it recently but they keep reading.

Got REDLINE comming from Lovefilm for the weekend. Looking forward to it.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1141
RE: All Things Anime - 29/1/2012 9:06:47 PM   
Chojin

I actually started Blood-C today and i'm now 4 episodes in out of 12. It's not half as bad as the reviews have been making out:

Explained:

The series is like two completely different series in one. Half of each episode comprises crappy high school scenes of the lowest possible quality (10 minute skits about how nice cake tastes) and the second half is made up of exhilarating gory sword fights against monsters and if you're extra lucky the plot might be touched on.

The action is really great though and the fights are exciting and tense throughout. The latter half of each episode has a nice horror vibe to it and I have to say I caught myself enjoying some of the fights! Episode 2 in particular seemed to fly by, as the fight against the 'train' was very epic. I wish I could find a youtube clip but I loved the mystery of the fight and the gradual reveal of the monster.

I have no idea on where the story has gone - is saya a pureblood? Are what she is fighting vampires? These questions may be answered further down the line but for the moment i'll put up with the dire first 10 minutes of each episode and look forward to what Blood is really supposed to be about in the second half of each episode :)

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 1142
RE: All Things Anime - 2/2/2012 7:36:02 AM   
Chojin

Bleach manga entering final arc:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-02-01/tite-kubo-bleach-manga-to-enter-final-arc

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1143
RE: All Things Anime - 2/2/2012 10:24:41 AM   
Jaded_Parrot

quote:

Bleach manga entering final arc:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-02-01/tite-kubo-bleach-manga-to-enter-final-arc

Dont think Naruto has much more to go either. One piece on the other hand will be around for a while yet!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1144
RE: All Things Anime - 2/2/2012 5:36:44 PM   
Chojin

I really think that Naruto has enough backstory to tell and could still be interesting. Kakashi Gaiden as an example - the characters are good enough to milk it for a lot longer, which I wouldn't mind. So i'd be happy to read Naruto for a good while longer :)

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Jaded_Parrot)
Post #: 1145
RE: All Things Anime - 3/2/2012 9:02:27 AM   
Jaded_Parrot

i want a Minato Gaiden that would be sweet!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1146
RE: All Things Anime - 4/2/2012 1:52:47 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaded_Parrot

i want a Minato Gaiden that would be sweet!

Slightly off-topic but it usually flows into manga anyway a lot of the time....

I just ordered the full colour omnibus (volumes 1-4) of highschool of the dead. I never did check out the anime but at £16 for four manga volumes in a hardback full colour edition I had to grab it (and all of the reviews have stated the colouring has been handled very well)

Looking forward to it. I've still got HOTD in the back of my mind to watch at some point but i've just started 10 seasons of Smallville, so that should keep me busy for a while!

Looked right up my street

< Message edited by Chojin -- 4/2/2012 1:55:16 PM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1147
RE: All Things Anime - 5/2/2012 8:05:53 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

I really think that Naruto has enough backstory to tell and could still be interesting. Kakashi Gaiden as an example - the characters are good enough to milk it for a lot longer, which I wouldn't mind. So i'd be happy to read Naruto for a good while longer :)

I'd like to see an epilogue of Naruto. Hopefully of him becoming Hokage and changing the village how he said he would. Further uniting the clans, outing old traditions and making some hard choices.

Bleach did have some interesting characters etc The Soul society arc was awesome ... but eventually I think it just lost it's way.

quote:

Looked right up my street

(In regards to the above)

Indeed ...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1148
Evangelion - 7/2/2012 2:13:37 AM   
scary_ice

Hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the situation is with the Evangelion series is? As far as I know ADV have folded so does this mean the original series is gonna be hard to find now especially as they are doing these new movie versions.

I've never seen the original series and was thinking of checking it out but at the moment I can only find it in Region 1.

Post #: 1149
RE: Evangelion - 7/2/2012 3:36:58 PM   
Gram123

Yeah, ADV folded.
I have the series in the (original) Platinum Edition Tin (with fold-out digipak), which is apparently quite rare. I recently contacted someone from Section 23 Films, one of the companies that bought up lots of ADV's stock. I was hoping that they might be able to give me info as to how many copies of this tin, and the later one (containing thinpak cases) were made. He couldn't help with my query, but I found the tin on Amazon marketplace listed for between £275 and £430, and they appear to be the later release, so I'm hoping mine's worth even more (although, to be honest, those sellers seem to have adopted a "hit and hope" pricing scheme!).

I also asked if he knew whether the series would be re-released in the future or if a Blu Ray might come out.
He informed me that, currently, no one owns the rights to release the original NGE series in the UK.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 7/2/2012 3:40:41 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 1150
RE: Evangelion - 7/2/2012 10:24:57 PM   
scary_ice

Yeah I saw the prices on Amazon and feared the worst although I see it is available on Region 1 a bit cheaper so I might go for that.

Would you sell your box-set though or is it too treasured a possession?

The other thing then is the movies though from what I've heard Death And Rebirth isn't really essential only End Of Evangelion.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1151
RE: Evangelion - 8/2/2012 9:12:24 AM   
Gram123

I can't exactly call it a treasured possession, cos to be honest, I bought it with the hope of selling it on for a profit. I'm in a dire financial situation at present, and spotted a bargain. I've not seen (any of) it before, so I'm gonna try and get it watched asap in order to confirm that the discs all play perfectly, and then it's going up for sale.

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 1152
RE: Evangelion - 8/2/2012 9:18:57 AM   
Gram123

If you do go for the US release (one of the many), be aware that some of the sets only contain 6 discs instead of the full 7 - they didn't bother with (or dropped) the extras for some of the releases.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 8/2/2012 9:19:36 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1153
RE: Evangelion - 8/2/2012 9:14:34 PM   
Chojin

watched quite a bit recently:

Blood-C

I finished Blood-C and it really picked up towards the end. After 10 episodes of being left in the dark you're hit with the full plot in the final two episodes. It was left with a real cliffhanger and i'm looking forward to the upcoming film. It wasn't as bad as the reviews made out at all, it did have some postives to it. If you do watch it, a word of warning - obtain the uncut version! The TV rip that I watched was cut to ribbons. Violence against vampires is A-OK (sword gouging, cutting in half, drinking their blood) however seeing a human get killed is a big no-no.

There was a huge mist that would be on the screen covering up any damage against humans. Let's just say 50% of the final episode was looking at mist/fog.

Highschool of the Dead:

I finally, finally watched this series and how fucking glad was I. The series was brilliant, like the walking dead but with well endowed schoolgirls. in HD it looked gorgeous and I even loved the soundtrack. A great modern classic that is essential viewing. Let's hope the manga writer gets his finger out and gets the manga running again so that a second season can follow. Watch it, it's a great 12 episode show that was very very fun.

Onigamiden:

Jesus this was crap. Avoid!

..............aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just caught the first episode of the below:

yet another vampire show after Blade and Blood-C. They just happen to catch my eye and i've heard good things about the manga. Only a 12 episode show so I should be done within a few days to give my verdict.

....I seem to be watching a lot of anime at the moment

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1154
RE: Evangelion - 9/2/2012 9:19:11 AM   
Jaded_Parrot

Shiki is quite a decent Vampire anime if you havnt caught that yet.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1155
RE: Evangelion - 9/2/2012 7:47:51 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

What are the great anime series from the last few years? I've missed the boat in recent times 

Post #: 1156
RE: Evangelion - 9/2/2012 9:48:22 PM   
Chojin

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Hajime No Ippo (new series counts as the last few years!), HOTD, Claymore or Witchblade.

This is going by the past few years of anime series that i've watched that managed 4 or 5 stars on my animeplanet watched list.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Chojin22000

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 1157
RE: Evangelion - 11/2/2012 3:30:51 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

If you do go for the US release (one of the many), be aware that some of the sets only contain 6 discs instead of the full 7 - they didn't bother with (or dropped) the extras for some of the releases.

The version Im looking at on Amazon.com only has 6 discs but if its only extras its missing then I dont really mind. I just wanna watch the show and see what all the fuss is about really!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1158
RE: Evangelion - 11/2/2012 3:43:52 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What are the great anime series from the last few years? I've missed the boat in recent times 

I havent watched much anime in recent years apart from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars both of which I saw in the cinema and I would highly recommend both of them especially The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

I never really got into any series as it just seemed too expensive to buy all these instalments as they came out and they seem to go on for ages. I watched some of the stuff that used to be on Channel 4 years ago and wasn't all that impressed with them. After Akira I kind of expected all anime to be that well made!

So I've generally stuck with movies as opposed to series. I am interested in series that have a definited ending like Evangelion and Paranoia Agent and one I've only recently heard of Texhnolyze.

I saw My Neighbour Totoro for the first time over the Christmas on Film4 and it has reignited my interest. I've been rewatching some of my old stuff like Akira, Wings of Honneamise, Black Magic M-66, ah the memories

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 1159
RE: Evangelion - 24/2/2012 7:39:27 AM   
Chojin

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=406747

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 1160
RE: Evangelion - 29/3/2012 1:46:12 PM   
the anomaly

Any one seen / read any of these?

Attack on Titan
Space Brothers
Torkio

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1161
RE: Evangelion - 7/4/2012 7:43:45 AM   
Chojin

Lineup for the next anime all nighter has been released:

http://www.sci-fi-london.com/festival/2012/programme/all-nighter/anime

quote:

BLEACH 3 : FADE TO BLACK

(Dir: Noriyuki Abe, 2008)
FREEDOM (the complete series)

(Dir: Shuhei Morita, 2008)
MARDOCK SCRAMBLE 1ST COMPRESSION

(Dir: Susumu Kudo, 2010)
MARDOCK SCRAMBLE 2ND COMBUSTION

(Dir: Susumu Kudo, 2011)
VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST
(Dir: Yoshiaki Kawajiri, 2000)

Opinions:

Bleach 3 - Manga UK pimping their latest Bleach/Naruto release. I can safely say I have never enjoyed a movie expansion of any of the shonen series that i've watched unless they have contained canon material. This will be one to sleep through. I can't even remember what it was about it was so memorable.

Freedom - I haven't seen this but it honestly looks quite tasty....i'm a fan of 3D/CGI anime and the character designs are by the creator of Akira. The reviews seem to be positive with the only negative being the CGI.

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI85JZqEEUQ
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4708

I'm not too sure on the CGI myself - it does look a little awkward and more Appleseed (2004) than Appleseed Ex Machina (2007) Still looks well worth a watch though and a bonus that I haven't actually watched it!

Mardock Scramble - I haven't seen this but it looks to be worth a watch if the reviews on anidb are anything to go by. However it's only the first two parts of the story with the third unreleased. Still, the reviews are very positive and again it's something I haven't seen!

VHD: Bloodlust - man I love this movie, i've seen it so many times. A great update to an old school character. Despite the fact i've watched it so many times i'd still want to see it on the big screen.

----------------------------------------------------------

So overall as usual the latest bleach/naruto offering is the only downside, it's actually a pretty decent line up. My only issue would be as I now have my own place I could invite my mates over to mine and watch them at our leisure with toilet breaks instead of being restricted by the movie running times. Although we'd miss out on the 'cinema experience'.....

But with train costs at £40+ and ticket costs usually £35+ it's an expensive venture. I will have to think on this as I was expecting a shit lineup and my decision to be made immediately.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1162
RE: Evangelion - 11/4/2012 8:18:49 PM   
the anomaly

Let us know how it goes!

Can't see myself hitting this up again ... ever.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1163
RE: Evangelion - 2/5/2012 12:45:40 PM   
MASH4077

BFI Southbank have an anime weekend from 8th to 10th June - the details are here: Anime | BFI

Members booking is already open, public booking opens on Monday (8th May).

Don't go that way. NEVER go that way.

West End Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NQ0A8

Post #: 1164
RE: Evangelion - 5/6/2012 6:40:04 PM   
Chojin

I'm going to be watching the new Berserk movie tonight which has finally been fansubbed :)

I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts afterwards - this will no doubt be a great point to jump into Berserk for anyone new to the series.

Edit: thoughts

Well those 70 minutes just flew by. Despite having read and watched this story nearly a dozen times I was still immersed with what I was watching. What you have with this movie is a 'best of' compilation of some of the early volumes of Berserk. It isn't the true adaptation that everyone was hoping for but it's the best we're going to get. Entire volumes of content are mercilessly removed in order to streamline the story and only concentrate on the bare essentials.

Some of the removed scenes include Guts' first battle with B.O.T.H (Band of the Hawk) and some of the interim battles. The movie also skips all of the initial Black Swordsman arc which results in a chronologically correct storyline. I do agree with this removal but it really needs to appear in a future movie as some integral stuff seems to be getting the chop.

The CG definitely wasn't as bad as it's made out to be in some of the reviews - it was fluid, very gory and breathed new life into some of the scenes. The Zodd scene was very well handled.

I trying not to judge it on removed content as it may appear in future films but if entire segments like Guts abuse as a child is removed then it isn't really Berserk. Overall i'd recommend it to newcomers and if you like what you see read the manga and watch the '97 anime - as aged as it is, it's a more accurate adaptation.

The bottom line is that a series which adapts the manga without any alteration would be the way to go, but this is the next best thing

4/5

< Message edited by Chojin -- 5/6/2012 9:08:22 PM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 1165
BFI Anime - 12/6/2012 3:24:00 PM   
MASH4077

Managed to see some stuff at the BFI Anime weekend...

From Up On Poppy Hill (again) - yep, still good

Children Who Chase Lost Voices through a Very Long Title (or whatever it's now called) - good, ending seemed rushed, one or two of the character designs looked familiar - a cat that looks like it should be flying around with Nausicaa for example!

A Letter to Momo - loved it, off-beat, very funny in places but serious when it needs to be.

The Princess and the Pilot - not bad, loses points for using a few cliches, loses more points for the bloody Titanic scene, but gets back a lot of points for not going for the outright happy ending.

Don't go that way. NEVER go that way.

West End Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NQ0A8

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1166
RE: BFI Anime - 16/6/2012 1:05:32 AM   
the anomaly

S-L-O-W-L-Y

Getting through Claymore. No idea why it's taking so long to be honest. As I enjoy whenever I watch it. Perhaps I'm too lazy to keep changing disc?!

The action and techniques are well done and I care enough about the characters to keep involved. the world can seem quite muddy at times though ... and I found "the faint smile" story to be more interesting than Clares but as she is making allies it's getting more interesting.

Any big anime movies out recently I should check out? The newest film I watched was Redline.

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 1167
RE: BFI Anime - 16/6/2012 8:53:14 AM   
Chojin

recent films from my watchedlist (2011-2012):

Berserk - worth a watch at the very least despite your lack of fondness for the series, as I remember your biggest hate was the dated animation.
The Tibetan Dog - I actually quite enjoyed this.
Tekken Blood Vengeance - worth a watch for the epic battles and CG animation..........and Ling.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1168
RE: BFI Anime - 22/6/2012 6:02:59 PM   
drews

Not a massive Anime fan but I have seen Ghost in the Shell and watched Akira a couple of nights ago. Both are awesome.

If anyone has any other good suggestions for anime movies I should definitely watch next then please let me know.

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1169
RE: BFI Anime - 22/6/2012 10:01:38 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: drews

Not a massive Anime fan but I have seen Ghost in the Shell and watched Akira a couple of nights ago. Both are awesome.

If anyone has any other good suggestions for anime movies I should definitely watch next then please let me know.

Tekkonkinkreet - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831888/
Action / Urban Fantasy / Gangs
In Treasure Town, life can be both peaceful and violent. This is never truer than for our heroes, Black and White - two street kids who claim to traverse the urban city as if it were their own.

Ninja Scroll - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107692/
Action / Samurai / Fantasy
A Ronin takes an mission which isn't quite what it seems dragging him back to his past and his demons.

Princess Mononoke - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119698/
Action / Japanese Fantasy
On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war.

Grave of the fireflies - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327/
Drama / War
A tragic film covering a young boy and his little sister's struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

Those are some of my favourite films. Not just anime films.

quote:

recent films from my watchedlist (2011-2012):

Berserk - worth a watch at the very least despite your lack of fondness for the series, as I remember your biggest hate was the dated animation.
The Tibetan Dog - I actually quite enjoyed this.
Tekken Blood Vengeance - worth a watch for the epic battles and CG animation..........and Ling.

quote:

Tekken Blood Vengeance

Tekken Blood Vengence on Lovefilm so I'll give that a chance.
Berserk I'd like to see shame it's just a remake of the series.
The Tibetan Dog I'll have to find out what it's about ...

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 22/6/2012 10:09:05 PM >

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 1170
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: All Things Anime Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI