Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: All Things Anime

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: All Things Anime Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All Things Anime - 28/12/2011 5:45:15 PM   
Chojin

Kei does become an extremely likeable character but you won't see as much of it in the anime. He does get less perverted and redeems himself somewhat.......As for Kei (female) she becomes less important as the series goes on.

I can't really compare the manga and anime as they're so different. The anime is a fun little series that whets your appetite for more, but ultimately is a wasted effort. I hate when long running series are cut short. (see Berserk/Claymore)

I'll be checking out Zero soon as well, I was just waiting on the series to finish as I think only 1/2 of the series has aired.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 1111
RE: All Things Anime - 1/1/2012 7:26:48 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Kei does become an extremely likeable character but you won't see as much of it in the anime. He does get less perverted and redeems himself somewhat.......As for Kei (female) she becomes less important as the series goes on.

She's nothing but cheap eye candy and not in a fun way. Constantly getting abused and yet another near rape with her standing there butt naked trying to get into the suits ... yet again the dog rushes into to lick her ... honestly it's pathetic! As I said there is a way to do sexiness and a bit of cheekiness but this is just sad.

It's a shame as I mentioned she has the set up to be a decent character, or at least go through some interesting issues. 

quote:

I can't really compare the manga and anime as they're so different. The anime is a fun little series that whets your appetite for more, but ultimately is a wasted effort. I hate when long running series are cut short. (see Berserk/Claymore)

I'll be checking out Zero soon as well, I was just waiting on the series to finish as I think only 1/2 of the series has aired.

I thought both were complete! Never knew the mangas were still ongoing or not contained in the anime. Oh well I'll see how it goes.

I won't over sell Fate/Zero but it was enjoyable enough and it's the first thing I've watched in a long time.

EDIT: A new female character ... one who actually appears as if she has a back bone. Yeah! ... Oh right within 5mins of her appearing she's naked and fucking the main character.

EDIT 2: On Volume 5 - Episode 18 - Finally getting some of the action that I was expecting. Nothing mind blowing but it's what I thought more of the series would be like.

Honestly I understand they'd want to gradually improve and get used to the hunts. I also understand that animes need to drag out some time to milk the manga. But fuck me sometimes they are just standing there doing jack for AGES. Is it that hard to just shoot aliens who are trying to kill you? Add to the fact they've all died etc so their inhibitions/concerns about shooting something that isn't actually human should be at an all time low. JEEBUS.

Improved though.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 2/1/2012 1:25:37 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1112
RE: All Things Anime - 2/1/2012 9:36:15 AM   
Chojin

quote:

EDIT: A new female character ... one who actually appears as if she has a back bone. Yeah! ... Oh right within 5mins of her appearing she's naked and fucking the main character.

Haha - personally I was thinking 'go on my son!', it was getting annoying him being after Kei when she only had eyes for Masaru. Don't want to spoil anything as I don't know how far you are but the second mission changes a lot.

The anime only covers the first couple of 'missions' and scratches the surface. According to Manga Updates:

Status in Country of Origin
33 Volumes (Ongoing)

Anime Start/End Chapter
Starts at Vol 1, Chap 1
Ends at Vol 8, Chap 91

So less than 1/3 of the Manga content actually aired. The author/artist has stated that he wants to end the series this year as it started back in 2000. I can't stress enough that the manga is actually a fine piece of work, i've read through it entirely quite a few times it just gets annoying waiting 2 weeks between chapters so I think i'll wait for its completion before I read through it again. By that time hopefully a new series will be in production which will cover the entire story.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1113
RE: All Things Anime - 4/1/2012 5:54:21 PM   
Gram123

First series of the year for me:

01) Texhnolyze (22 eps, Japan, 2003, DVD) - 7.0

It's taken me a while to get through this quite complex anime series, and the staggered nature of my viewing has me unsure about that score, so it may change when I have time to digest it a little more.

SPOILERS ahead...

Based in an underground world, (the city of Lukuss), the series follows Ichise, a prize-fighter who has a couple of limbs lopped off as punishment for an ugly indiscretion with a promoter's girl. Ichise is picked up by Doc, a researcher of Texhnonlyzation (the fitting of cybernetic body parts) and given new limbs.
After a variety of troubles, and connection with a mysterious young girl in a white fox mask, Ichise becomes involved in a gang war raging in the city, working for Onishi, the head of a faction of the mafia-esque Organo syndicate. A group of Texhnolyzed street kids called the Racan, and the anti-cyberware Salvation Union make up the other gangs in the three-way fight. As the battles escalate, each of the 3 gangs suffer losses through splits and in-fighting, sparked by Yoshii, a member of a fourth group, The Class, on a self-styled mission from the surface world. In Lukuss, The Class headed by the megalomanaic Kano steps in with advanced Texhnolyzation techniques in an attempt to mop up the mess, and destroy the underground city in order to renew it. The Class are a group of people supposedly "genetically superior" to Lukuss' other inhabitants (despite some chronic inbreeding in the recent history of those below ground).
Ichise accompanies Doc to the surface in an attempt to warn them but all is far from how they'd hoped, with humanity wandering in an eerily quiet world, many as "ghosts" (projections of their real selves, presumably in some sort of stasis elsewhere), surrounded by bureaucracy, repetition, and waiting for inevitable death. When Ichise returns home, he is met with the wide-spread desolation and desperately seeks to find and protect the young girl Ran, who it seems has shared her visions with the inhabitants and driven the remaining populace mad.

SPOILERS END

The series feels strangely slow-paced and hectic at the same time. It is infected with a grim and ethereal mood, a rotten malaise, enhanced by both the greeny-grey colour pallete and the music which slips between spooky ambient, sad jazz and squealing guitar solos depending on the scene. Characters often speak in a slow deliberate manner, as though with a weight on their shoulders, and there is a sense that most of, maybe all, the people are being carried along in sickly waves, against their will to an inevitable climax. There is a good deal of bloodshed and death, shining rays of hope are dashed, the good are besmirched, friends become enemies. It's a fucked up world, alright.

I've seen Texhnolyze compared with Serial Experiments: Lain, though it is cleverer, messier, more varied, with better animation and design, and not so slow. It has the weird bad guys, gang warfare and some of the tech of Ghost in the Shell SAC, but is dirtier and more bleak, and as a viewer you perhaps have less invested in the main characters. In mood, it reminds me somewhat of Boogiebop Phantom, though I guess I'm clutching a bit, and haven't really seen enough anime series yet to think of appopriate bedfellows for it. It's good - I'm not sure that it's brilliant, though, and the complexities (or at least, the gaps in my viewing schedule) made it a bit of a chore at times to get back on board at times, which in turn begat further delays in my viewing of the episodes.
If and when I re-watch, I'll try to do so over a period of weeks, not months.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 5/1/2012 3:47:53 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1114
RE: All Things Anime - 5/1/2012 12:10:24 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Does anyone want to recommend The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?

It's available for £3.99 at amazon and I'm fairly tempted to give it a shot at that price.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 5/1/2012 4:27:59 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1115
RE: All Things Anime - 5/1/2012 3:39:29 PM   
Gram123

It's alright, but not brilliant. Fairly gentle with a romantic plot and some time travel...
If it were full price, I'd say rent it. At that price, it's up to you.

Actually, it's only £2.99 at Amazon (and Play).

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1116
RE: All Things Anime - 5/1/2012 4:29:27 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah, typo. I was meant to put in £2.99.

I think I might give it a shot. Can't really grumble if I don't enjoy it at that price.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1117
RE: All Things Anime - 6/1/2012 12:15:47 AM   
elab49

I'd rent and not spend the money. OR get the far superior subsequent film Summer Wars 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 1118
RE: All Things Anime - 6/1/2012 1:23:55 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I just checked out the synopsis for it on IMDB.

quote:

Kenji Koiso, an eleventh grade math genius, agrees to take a summer job at the Nagano hometown of his crush, Natuski. When he arrives, he finds that her family have reunited to celebrate the 90th birthday of the family matriarch. His job is to pretend to be Natsuki's fiancé.

So far so dull. Then this beauty of a sentence...

quote:

Meanwhile, his attempt to solve a mathematical equation causes a parallel world's collision with earth

Sold!

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/1/2012 10:14:18 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1119
RE: All Things Anime - 9/1/2012 7:41:52 AM   
Chojin

I watched Trigun Badlands Rumble last night. It's been 8-9 years since I watched the original series so I can't really remember how good it actually was. The only thing I remember is the big 'twist' towards the end of the series. Luckily this movie is quite standalone and doesn't require previous viewing of the series. I thought it was a bit of a different style from Madhouse but all of the over the top CG action was still present.

Fun little film that was very watchable.

Next up on my watchlist: Dead Leaves, Summer Wars, Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below and Onagamiden

(I also have Blood-C still waiting to be watched and about 10 episodes of Bleach (Non-Filler, hurrah!))

< Message edited by Chojin -- 9/1/2012 7:45:20 AM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1120
RE: All Things Anime - 9/1/2012 2:48:53 PM   
boove

where do you guys tend to buy your anime Blus from? Is there a site I should be using to compare the prices?

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 1121
RE: All Things Anime - 10/1/2012 4:33:31 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Just watched Michael Dudok de Wit's "Father and Daughter", "The Aroma of Tea", "The Monk and the Fish" and "Tom Sweep". I could only find 4 short films directed by De Wit through IMDb and wondered if anyone had seen any other films that he was part of but never directed and if they're worth checking out?

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 10/1/2012 5:05:53 AM >

Art

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 1122
RE: All Things Anime - 10/1/2012 7:27:19 AM   
Chojin

I Watched Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below last night. It looked great in HD but i'd describe it as a Ghibli film without the amazing set pieces and interesting world. I was struggling to maintain interest for the full 2 hours.

Also caught up with Naruto, god those fillers are awful.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 1123
RE: All Things Anime - 10/1/2012 2:06:46 PM   
Jaded_Parrot

quote:

Ive given up with Naruto fillers i watched the first couple and then stopped, its back to cannon now though which is a relief!! Still have Bleach to catch up on though i need to watch the end of the Aizen arc and then skip the whole year of Bleach filler and then start watching the lost shinigami arc and then probably stop watching bleach for another year as they will have caught up with the manga in a couple of months again!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1124
RE: All Things Anime - 10/1/2012 5:58:50 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaded_Parrot

quote:

Ive given up with Naruto fillers i watched the first couple and then stopped, its back to cannon now though which is a relief!! Still have Bleach to catch up on though i need to watch the end of the Aizen arc and then skip the whole year of Bleach filler and then start watching the lost shinigami arc and then probably stop watching bleach for another year as they will have caught up with the manga in a couple of months again!

Yeah Bleach is out of filler hell. I seem to cope with it a bit better though as it has a big story rather than stand alone episodes. Still shit don't get me wrong but it's slightly more bearable than Naruto. Still hoping that Bleach ends soon....

Not too sure what to make of the 'Xcution' arc so far. I'm a couple of episodes in and it just seems Aizen was killed off far too easily and I have no idea what direction it's going to go in now.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Jaded_Parrot)
Post #: 1125
RE: All Things Anime - 11/1/2012 8:45:02 AM   
Jaded_Parrot

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah Bleach is out of filler hell. I seem to cope with it a bit better though as it has a big story rather than stand alone episodes. Still shit don't get me wrong but it's slightly more bearable than Naruto. Still hoping that Bleach ends soon....

Not too sure what to make of the 'Xcution' arc so far. I'm a couple of episodes in and it just seems Aizen was killed off far too easily and I have no idea what direction it's going to go in now.

Bleach ending haha i wouldnt count on it just yet. not sure how far you are in the manga but it doesnt look like ending anytime soon. I think we might see a return of Aizen somehow anyway he was still only technically sealed. From what i recall anyway

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1126
RE: All Things Anime - 11/1/2012 9:42:54 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

It's alright, but not brilliant. Fairly gentle with a romantic plot and some time travel...
If it were full price, I'd say rent it. At that price, it's up to you.

Actually, it's only £2.99 at Amazon (and Play).

Agreed. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. It was solid light entertainment.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bleach ending haha i wouldnt count on it just yet. not sure how far you are in the manga but it doesnt look like ending anytime soon. I think we might see a return of Aizen somehow anyway he was still only technically sealed. From what i recall anyway

Gave up on both animes probably more than a year ago! Got fed up of the constant filler and the anime dragging cannon out.

Naruto anime I still dipped into for the decent parts but it's been a long time since I've done even that. Bleach anime I caught an episode the other day. The whole Ichigo and Grimmjaw fight ... endless. Totally lost interest in Bleach after the Aizen arc. The whole Huccedo Mundo arc had it's moments and was mindlessly enjoyable, but in terms of story/character development/plot being tied up it was truly lacking especially at the end. Without a doubt Bleach peaked at soul society and it seems the writer didn't know where to take it after that? I've given up on the new direction as I've not heard anything amazing from mates who read it. The fact that I've predicted a few major plot points without even reading it puts me off even more. My line ... let me know when Aizen returns ...

I'm on the last few episodes of Gantz. A shame that it's taken a whole season or more to actually get going. For me the first series especially is a prime example of a poor translation to anime. Too often the scenes are just constantly dragged out when either nothing is happening or they are at deaths door but just standing there talking. Takes me right out of the whole thing. The second season has been miles better. Not outstanding but what I thought the whole thing would be like.

Fate / stay Zero - Caught the last episode the other day. Sadly the last of the season, so now I have to wait. Overall I've enjoyed it. Hasn't gone too deep into all the characters but the set up is good. Looking forward to it's return.

So I've got Claymore to watch and then I'll be looking for something else. I want to watch Basilisk as I'd started that ages ago but only saw a few episodes and that's the same for Samurai Champaloo. I know I'll really enjoy both of them. Other than that I'll be looking at crunchyroll to see what's good ... 

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1127
RE: All Things Anime - 12/1/2012 3:23:53 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Just watched "Logorama" - a fun, satirical anime (short).

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 12/1/2012 3:24:40 AM >

Art

Post #: 1128
RE: All Things Anime - 12/1/2012 7:18:49 AM   
Chojin

Basilisk is excellent Anomaly - it's like a series-length Ninja Scroll. It even uses the same template of a group of ninjas with one special ability. I read the manga a few months back and it reminded me what a good little series it was.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1129
RE: All Things Anime - 12/1/2012 10:38:41 AM   
Kaede

Harry, I might be a bit late with this but for £2.99 I'd deffo reccomend snapping up The Girl Who Lept Through Time. Yeah it's a gentle teen romance film, but it has great character designs, superb backgrounds modelled on Tokyo and a lovely soundtrack. It gets better and better as it goes along (and by better I mean weirder). Although, possibly I get more out of the film because of it's Tokyo vibe.

I got Summer Wars for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Post #: 1130
RE: All Things Anime - 16/1/2012 10:12:11 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

Basilisk is excellent Anomaly - it's like a series-length Ninja Scroll. It even uses the same template of a group of ninjas with one special ability. I read the manga a few months back and it reminded me what a good little series it was.

I'll be picking it or Joyous will be at some points. She's finished it and it's one of her faves. I watched the first two episodes way back but never continued as I had loads to watch. I'm looking forward to it as I've heard nothing but good things and was loving the episodes I saw.

Finished GANTZ ... over all it manages to redeem itself in the second series. There are some good ideas there and I'd be willing to accept that it goes over better in the Manga. Sadly the anime is a wasted opportunity I feel, it does have it's moments the latter series picks up well but it's drawn out to a fault. Again to my dismay the last battles tension was broken as I just could not believe how many people were killed whilst others looked on and watched the killers WALK away ... or just stand there. Gantz series one I'd give 2.5/5 and series two 3/5.

I watched Sky Blue over the weekend. Annoyingly I'd watched it in parts which did break up the story somewhat. Still it was solid fare. Some nice animation and even some of the 2D/3D wasn't too jarring as it can be. Watching it dubbed was a bit of a pain however a few voices were decent and others were just distracting. The story was as expected but nothing done badly so yeah just entertaining a solid 3/5.

Started Claymore. First couple of episodes good stuff. No drawn out sections of people just standing there waiting to die etc which was a relief. Looks nice, interesting story and getting introduced the other Claymores etc has given us a wider cast of interesting characters. I'll be watching this over the coming weeks.

EDIT: Got Arrietty coming from Lovefilm.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 18/1/2012 10:02:58 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1131
RE: All Things Anime - 19/1/2012 8:43:45 PM   
Chojin

Currently still catching up with Bleach. I had about 11 episodes of non-filler episodes and have four left until i'm up to date.

......does anyone rate this? It's damn awful! no sense of direction, slow pacing and crap new characters. At least the Espada had some backstory and the characters were fleshed out slightly. Fullbring is total BS - the souls in inanimate objects?

The steam has well and truly run out for this series!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1132
RE: All Things Anime - 20/1/2012 2:05:27 AM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Cool an Anime board.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1133
RE: All Things Anime - 20/1/2012 3:54:47 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

So come on then DARKO, any preferences?

To be honest, I haven't watched as many as I'd liked to have recently. I've been rockin' the shorts - which have been enjoyable but nothing beats a fully.

Art

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 1134
RE: All Things Anime - 20/1/2012 8:49:56 AM   
Jaded_Parrot

quote:

Currently still catching up with Bleach. I had about 11 episodes of non-filler episodes and have four left until i'm up to date.

......does anyone rate this? It's damn awful! no sense of direction, slow pacing and crap new characters. At least the Espada had some backstory and the characters were fleshed out slightly. Fullbring is total BS - the souls in inanimate objects?

The steam has well and truly run out for this series!

I never really liked the manga till it all kicked off to be honest and old faces started to appear. The arc has finished manga wise and is taking a 3 week break (probably to try and figure out where the hell he is going to take it next)

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1135
RE: All Things Anime - 23/1/2012 12:23:03 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

To be honest, I haven't watched as many as I'd liked to have recently. I've been rockin' the shorts - which have been enjoyable but nothing beats a fully.

I was,still am to be honest,in and out of Anime.
But my attention to asian anime came through watching Akira and Ghost In The shell when I was really young,since then I've always admired the style and story telling.

But more recently (showed in the pic above) I've come to loving Cowboy Bebop.
Which I think is the cooliest anime to be produced in years,and one I believe is different from what is being created and what was being created.
The plots are very good/fun,the music is very good,the voice overs are good and the characters in the anime are all likeable.
I knew I'd love Bebop as soon as I saw the intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqvsUs-iQvg

Post #: 1136
RE: All Things Anime - 23/1/2012 5:06:50 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

But my attention to asian anime came through watching Akira and Ghost In The shell when I was really young,since then I've always admired the style and story telling.

Which I think is the cooliest anime to be produced in years,and one I believe is different from what is being created and what was being created.
The plots are very good/fun,the music is very good,the voice overs are good and the characters in the anime are all likeable.

Well, you're definitely in the majority there with rating Akira and Ghost in the Shell, they're at the top of my list also.
I must check out this "Bebop" sometime as you have me intrigued now.

Awesomeness!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 23/1/2012 5:07:23 PM >

Art

Post #: 1137
RE: All Things Anime - 23/1/2012 5:52:55 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, you're definitely in the majority there with rating Akira and Ghost in the Shell, they're at the top of my list also.

Awesomeness!

If your interested in Manga,you should really checkout the complete Katsuhiro Otomo Akira books.
Gives great depth to the anime,plus has a deeper look at certain characters and new.
Plus when you read these books you become totally overawed by Otomo's writing/character work plus his amazing eye for his Artwork.

Post #: 1138
RE: All Things Anime - 23/1/2012 6:05:34 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Awesomeness!

If your interested in Manga,you should really checkout the complete Katsuhiro Otomo Akira books.
Gives great depth to the anime,plus has a deeper look at certain characters and new.
Plus when you read these books you become totally overawed by Otomo's writing/character work plus his amazing eye for his Artwork.

Yeah I love Manga! Hopefully I'll check them out at some point - they're is just too many good reads out there and I can never get to the bottom of my book collection either!

Art

Post #: 1139
RE: All Things Anime - 23/1/2012 6:09:52 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Awesomeness!

Yeah I love Manga! Hopefully I'll check them out at some point - they're is just too many good reads out there and I can never get to the bottom of my book collection either!

Tell me about it haha.
I've got loads of books I need to read,all very different to ie from Douglas Coupland to Cormac McCarthy to Stephen King to Orwell to Nick Cave..
Basically..loads.

Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: All Things Anime Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI