Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: All Things Anime

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: All Things Anime Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All Things Anime - 27/4/2011 1:59:28 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

"Ghost in the Shell" is an awesome Anime and I found the similarities not too dissimilar to "Blade Runner" also.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 26/9/2011 3:24:17 AM >

Art

(in reply to rockerjo)
Post #: 1081
RE: All Things Anime - 1/5/2011 12:40:54 PM   
Chojin

Just got back from my fifth All Nighter.....i'm not re-considering going to every single one due to my lack of energy levels and dedication to the cause:

Akira (HD) - To be honest I didn't see what the fuss was about and it looked pretty much the same as normal. They also used the Jap Dub and this is one of the only anime films I would prefer to see with the original english voiceovers. It kept my attention well enough though and it was an enjoyable watch even though I have seen it dozens of times.

Eden Of The East (Compilation) - This is an edited version of the 13 episode series condensed into a 100 minute movie. I didn't really rate the series that highly let alone having to sit through a chopped to buggery re-telling of the events I'd previously viewed. I lasted a respectable 30-45 minutes before drifting to sleep.

Eden Of The East (Sequel Movie #1) - A direct sequel to the series. I gave it a go and lasted maybe 20-30 minutes but by this point I had had enough of EOTE and gave up and slept through this. I'm just not a huge lover of the series and they seem to be force feeding more and more of the stuff to us with every new all nighter.

To - This was watchable. It wasn't the greatest but it had some great crowd pleasing cheesiness and some incest for good measure. Not great at all, but it kept my attention the whole way through and it was an enjoyable 90 minute CGI treat.

Redline - Fucking Brilliant. The thumping techno soundtrack, the adrenaline fueled races and I have to say Sonoshi is teh sex. I really enjoyed this and it kept me on the edge of my seat for the 08:30am - 10:00am finale. I would love to see this again and it would look brilliant on a blu ray player.

Another mixed bag - Akira was nice to see and Redline was a very welcome surprise (it actually lived up to the hype) but as usual the all nighter is dominated by the latest rubbish that Manga UK is trying to sell

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 1082
RE: All Things Anime - 8/5/2011 9:13:24 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin
Just got back from my fifth All Nighter.....i'm not re-considering going to every single one due to my lack of energy levels and dedication to the cause:

Another mixed bag - Akira was nice to see and Redline was a very welcome surprise (it actually lived up to the hype) but as usual the all nighter is dominated by the latest rubbish that Manga UK is trying to sell

Confused ... are you still looking to keep going or are you fed up now?

I'm hoping to go next time if the line ups decent enough.

Not seen anything of late but sounds like Redline will be something to look out for.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 8/5/2011 9:35:00 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1083
RE: All Things Anime - 8/5/2011 10:16:16 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

Confused ... are you still looking to keep going or are you fed up now?

I'm hoping to go next time if the line ups decent enough.

Not seen anything of late but sounds like Redline will be something to look out for.

Well I was quite down when trying to last through both of the Eden of the East movies but then it picked up a lot. It just seems that half of the stuff i've seen before or have no interest in. Also I might just be getting old but I find myself craving the comforts of watching the films in your own home at your own pace. They do seem to be a test of endurance now.

However Redline was truly great, it's definitely one to look out for on blu ray! I don't think i'll say that i'll go to them regardless of lineup anymore - i'll have to carefully consider it

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 1084
RE: All Things Anime - 26/8/2011 12:06:30 AM   
the anomaly

Any thing good on the horizon?

Not watched anything for a year or so ...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1085
RE: All Things Anime - 26/8/2011 4:29:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

So Evangelion...what the heck was that all about anyways?

Watching the Rebuilds now - would be a good template if they ever get the live action off the ground (or is that Pacific Rim?)

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 1086
RE: All Things Anime - 7/9/2011 5:44:13 PM   
Chojin

Lineup has just been announced for the Oktoberfest Anime All Nighter.

TRIGUN BADLANDS RUMBLE

EDEN OF THE EAST: PARADISE LOST

WELCOME TO THE SPACE SHOW

JIN ROH: THE WOLF BRIGADE

TEKKEN BLOOD VENGENCE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts:

Trigun - I'd like to see this, I didn't manage to track it down online and i'd re-watch the series in preperation.

Eden Of The East - Expected, I'm sick of seeing this on the lineups, will not be watching this one

Welcome To The Space Show - watched it a couple of months back, not excited as i've seen it and it was rather average

Jin Roh - seen, not sure i'd want to watch it again as it didn't leave a lasting impression

Tekken - I'd love to see this on the big screen, hopefully has lots of Ling :)

So only two out of five films that I actually want to see. Pretty standard offering!

http://www.facebook.com/scifilondon

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1087
RE: All Things Anime - 8/9/2011 3:30:34 PM   
Rgirvan44

Any word on a UK release for Space Battleship?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1088
RE: All Things Anime - 8/9/2011 4:57:53 PM   
elab49

Do you mean Yamato? I'd a look at the live action - reminded me a bit of the David Feintuch books.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1089
RE: All Things Anime - 8/9/2011 5:17:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

David Feintuch
quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Do you mean Yamato? I'd a look at the live action - reminded me a bit of the David Feintuch books.

It seemed to do really well in Japan - surprised that it hasn't appeared even on home video yet in the UK.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1090
RE: All Things Anime - 15/9/2011 11:35:44 PM   
Beetlejuice!

I'm reviewing Manga titles for another site, so might as well post up my reviews here as well

High School of the Dead

Boobies! If I were to sum up this Manga series in one word, it would have to be that. This show is so obsessed with bouncing breasts that it knocks aside the good work that has actually been put into this animated zombie apocalypse.
The 12 episodes in this series follow a group of teenagers whose school falls victim to a zombie attack. Things start off quite eerily in episode one as a group of teachers approach the school gates to investigate why a strange man is hanging around there. Naturally this fellow turns out to be a zombie and bites one of the teachers and so this is the beginning stages of the infection spreading throughout the school. It is actually quite an excellent set-up and I can't really think of a zombie film set in a high school. With so many slasher movies regularly based at the teen market it's a wonder why this hasn't been done before.
Despite the fresh set-up, the characters fall into regular stereotypes with our broody hero and love interest who are both joined somewhere down the line with a school nerd who realises he's good with a gun, a bossy know-it-all, a dumb blonde, a cool ninja girl, a cute little girl and a yapping puppy. Our protagonists eventually manage to make it out of the school grounds and begin their journey to go find their parents. This is all fine and well, nothing too original in terms of zombie apocalypse storylines but it's well animated and has some tense set-pieces along the way but it all plays second fiddle to…the boobies! Within every few seconds, there will be a close-up of an enormous bosom which adds nothing to the story. That's a little unfair, panties and crotches get a look in quite a lot as well. It's a little disturbing looking at the knickers of a teenage zombie. And I won't even get started on having to see the little girl's underwear that joins the group in the later half of the show. Now that's just wrong.
Now I am not being an old fuddy-duddy, I'm fully aware that large breasted heroines are often part of the tongue-in-cheek quality of manga titles but really, there is a time and a place. I get that the filmmakers relish the fact that the girls are all in small, tight school uniforms but when they are fighting zombies perhaps the focus should be on the action and not what colour of knickers they are wearing. Too often the boobs and knickers play centre stage and the action is in the background. What it also does is diffuse the tension of some scenes, there are some extremely tense moments throughout the series that would have been better served if the filmmakers weren't so keen to verge the show on hentai.
Things come to a head (no pun intended) in episode 6, where our heroes finally manage to get a resting place to relax. So naturally the four females go take a bath together and start feeling each other up (!?!). This episode contains endless amounts of nudity and the girls continue to wear very little from here on in. Is no one remembering there is a zombie apocalypse outside?
Yes, teenage boys are going to love this series but the show has so much potential to play beyond just that market. There are some interesting supporting characters and sub-plots while the character relationships do evolve in quite an intriguing way. There is also some well played emotional beats at key points so it is such a shame that the show is weighed down by watermelons galore.
So overall, don't take the show too seriously, have a laugh at the preposterously well-endowed teenage girls and enjoy the actual horror moments when they manage to squeeze in. As there is an open ending to the final episode I hope the makers of the series will cut back on all the titillation if a second series is produced. It would be nice to know where the gang end up next. So long as it's not a zombie orgy.

Extras
Next to nothing really:
The opening titles without the credits
(the song is actually a catchy little number after having heard it 12 times I've started singing along, even though its in Japanese).
The closing songs without credits
(twelve different songs, not as catchy).
That's it. Though I have a feeling for many young men who go out and buy this DVD set, the pause button will be all the special features they need.

Rating: 6/10

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 15/9/2011 11:36:24 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1091
RE: All Things Anime - 24/9/2011 4:43:03 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

Lineup has just been announced for the Oktoberfest Anime All Nighter.

TRIGUN BADLANDS RUMBLE

EDEN OF THE EAST: PARADISE LOST

WELCOME TO THE SPACE SHOW

JIN ROH: THE WOLF BRIGADE

TEKKEN BLOOD VENGENCE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts:

Trigun - I'd like to see this, I didn't manage to track it down online and i'd re-watch the series in preperation.

Eden Of The East - Expected, I'm sick of seeing this on the lineups, will not be watching this one

Welcome To The Space Show - watched it a couple of months back, not excited as i've seen it and it was rather average

Jin Roh - seen, not sure i'd want to watch it again as it didn't leave a lasting impression

Tekken - I'd love to see this on the big screen, hopefully has lots of Ling :)

So only two out of five films that I actually want to see. Pretty standard offering!

http://www.facebook.com/scifilondon

Hmm I've seen Jin Roh ... the rest ... hmmm can't see myself going to this.

I've not seen anything in a long time either. Might I have to change that actually.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1092
RE: All Things Anime - 26/9/2011 3:27:29 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

My favourite pick of the bunch I've seen so far are; Akira 5/5 -
Spirited Away 5/5 - Ghost in the Shell 5/5... I still need to watch Blood the Last Vampire though and I'm sure a few more....

Art

Post #: 1093
RE: All Things Anime - 5/10/2011 2:16:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Greetings fellow Anime lovers!

Just a question;

Has anyone heard about or watched a Manga called Doomed Megalapolis? (i hope I spelt that right!)

Its a three/four part story, i watched the first episode when at school (bought the video off a friend) and was hooked immediaty! Ever since then i've been looking everywhere for a copy on DVD! The story revolves around a young girl who is semi possessed by an evil overlord, who is prophecised wwith brringing doom to, well Megalapois if ever resurrected!!! I know, not much to go on but the animation was superb!! The story had me hooked, but alas, I could not find the remaining episodes.....

Also, another Manga called CYBER CITY (OEDO 808), it was a three part series and the animation was stunning, similar to the works of Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll) infact, he probably DID direct!! It's cyber punk anime set in the future about three criminals who have been recruited to help police with criminal matters. They have a collar around their necks so if ever one decided to go AWOL, his head would explode!!!!!!!!! Again I watched only the first episode and a little of the last, man I would give anything just to be able to have these two brilliant Manga's in my possession!!!!!

Wish Manga would re-release them on DVD, re-mastered with extra's aplenty!!! One can dream eh?

Anyway, your input would be greatly appreciated guys!!!

Cheers

PS - JUST WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO SEE KAWAKIRI'S ANIME MASTERPIECE 'WICKED CITY' ON REGION 2 DVD?????????

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 5/10/2011 2:23:41 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 1094
RE: All Things Anime - 6/10/2011 6:02:32 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Just a question;

Has anyone heard about or watched a Manga called Doomed Megalapolis? (i hope I spelt that right!)

Its a three/four part story, i watched the first episode when at school (bought the video off a friend) and was hooked immediaty! Ever since then i've been looking everywhere for a copy on DVD! The story revolves around a young girl who is semi possessed by an evil overlord, who is prophecised wwith brringing doom to, well Megalapois if ever resurrected!!! I know, not much to go on but the animation was superb!! The story had me hooked, but alas, I could not find the remaining episodes.....

Also, another Manga called CYBER CITY (OEDO 808), it was a three part series and the animation was stunning, similar to the works of Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll) infact, he probably DID direct!! It's cyber punk anime set in the future about three criminals who have been recruited to help police with criminal matters. They have a collar around their necks so if ever one decided to go AWOL, his head would explode!!!!!!!!! Again I watched only the first episode and a little of the last, man I would give anything just to be able to have these two brilliant Manga's in my possession!!!!!

Wish Manga would re-release them on DVD, re-mastered with extra's aplenty!!! One can dream eh?

Cheers

PS - JUST WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO SEE KAWAKIRI'S ANIME MASTERPIECE 'WICKED CITY' ON REGION 2 DVD?????????

Nex - DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS, CYBER CITY... You have good taste in classic Anime mate!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1095
RE: All Things Anime - 6/10/2011 7:51:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

Just a question;

Cheers

Nex - DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS, CYBER CITY... You have good taste in classic Anime mate!

Cheers mate! How could you not love these classic anime's????!!!!!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 1096
RE: All Things Anime - 6/10/2011 7:55:12 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

Spirited Away 5/5 - Ghost in the Shell 5/5... I still need to watch Blood the Last Vampire though and I'm sure a few more....

Good choice mate

I watched Blood, good animation and monsters but theres something lacking.....also, its just TOO bloody short! No pun intended!!! Still a good watch.....

Have you watched Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust??

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 6/10/2011 7:58:39 PM >

Post #: 1097
RE: All Things Anime - 7/10/2011 3:36:44 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

Good choice mate

I watched Blood, good animation and monsters but theres something lacking.....also, its just TOO bloody short! No pun intended!!! Still a good watch.....

Thanks! Nope not seen Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust but it may come up on the list.

Is it any good?

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 7/10/2011 3:39:00 AM >

Art

Post #: 1098
RE: All Things Anime - 7/10/2011 7:23:40 AM   
Chojin

quote:

Just a question;

Cheers

Doomed Megalopolis isn't so great imo.....I owned all four parts on VHS and didn't upgrade. However Cyber City is excellent and an absolute classic. The first part is probably my favourite closely followed by the second. You're really missing out not watching all three parts as they are all great. It's out on R1 if you fancied importing it.....

And again Wicked City is another classic madhouse anime - i'm sure it's out on R1 if you'd like to get your hands on it?

Madhouse are still making great anime - I watched Redline again the other day and it looks so crisp in HD. The animation style is different from Madhouses usual work and it has a unique style all its own. Well worth checking out - I think it's out now on Blu-Ray or possible very soon.....

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1099
RE: All Things Anime - 7/10/2011 4:34:42 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

Just a question;

Cheers

Doomed Megalopolis isn't so great imo.....I owned all four parts on VHS and didn't upgrade. However Cyber City is excellent and an absolute classic. The first part is probably my favourite closely followed by the second. You're really missing out not watching all three parts as they are all great. It's out on R1 if you fancied importing it.....

And again Wicked City is another classic madhouse anime - i'm sure it's out on R1 if you'd like to get your hands on it?

Madhouse are still making great anime - I watched Redline again the other day and it looks so crisp in HD. The animation style is different from Madhouses usual work and it has a unique style all its own. Well worth checking out - I think it's out now on Blu-Ray or possible very soon.....

Thanks for your input dude. As it goes, last night I was surfing video's on Youtube when a light bulb went off in my head! I decided to Youtube CYBER CITY OEDO and guess what? ALL THREE EPISODES SHOWED UP!!!! I was ecstatic as hell!!! Giddy like a school boy LOL!! I've had my andorid phone for over a year and it never crossed my mind to Youtube my fave manga series!!! Anyway, I can say proudly I watched episode 1 of CYBER CITY!!! (dubbed version) it was one of the greatest most enjoyable episode of Managa I had watched since DEATH NOTE!!!! Honestly, the character reminded me of Dirty Harry on a bad hangover!! Fucking this! Fucking that!!! I was in stiches by his constant swearing!! And the cyberpunk setting - its a Blade Runner fans wet dream!! Infact I could spot two clear homages to Blade Runner!! And that Robot is hilarious!!! One of the coolest characters ever!!!!!!! (i watched it as a yoing boy, so forgot most of the storry - plus it was in Japanese) . The English dub is the best IMO: I cant wait to watch epsiode 2!!!!!

My mission in life is to capture these beauties on DVD!! Hell even region 1 I dont care!! Honestly, EVERT ANIME FAN HAS TO WATCH CYBER CITY!!!!! Its on Youtube, so no excuses!!!!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 7/10/2011 4:39:56 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1100
RE: All Things Anime - 7/10/2011 4:50:14 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good choice mate

Thanks! Nope not seen Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust but it may come up on the list.

Is it any good?

Mate it is excellent!!! One of the best anime's IMO. You can check out my review of it in the 'favourite movies' thread. A really cool anime!

Post #: 1101
RE: All Things Anime - 8/10/2011 5:05:24 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Cool... I'll definitely check out your review, plus it won't hurt to check out the Anime at some point either.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 26/12/2011 6:18:01 PM >

Art

Post #: 1102
RE: All Things Anime - 8/10/2011 9:19:55 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Whilst I may not be quite the connosieur of Anime as Chojin or some of the other posters on this particular thread, here are some of Snake-Eyes' (lesser-known) favourites from those early/mid-90's 'craze' days...

BLACK MAGIC M-66
JUDGE
WIND OF AMNESIA
GOLGO 13 (this frakkin' ROCKS!)
URUSEI YATSURA
RG VEDA

Post #: 1103
RE: All Things Anime - 8/10/2011 4:31:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Whilst I may not be quite the connosieur of Anime as Chojin or some of the other posters on this particular thread, here are some of Snake-Eyes' (lesser-known) favourites from those early/mid-90's 'craze' days...

BLACK MAGIC M-66
JUDGE
WIND OF AMNESIA
GOLGO 13 (this frakkin' ROCKS!)
URUSEI YATSURA
RG VEDA

GOLGO 13?!! GOLGO 13?!!! DUDE THAT FILM IS FU**ING AWESOME!!!!!! Classic 80's Anime!!!! I ordered the 2 disc special edition from Play.com for only a measily 4 quid!!!!! And trust me mate; i've never had so much fun!!!!! LOL!!!

I love 80's Manga, and this film is very similar to another Manga, Amon Saga in tone style wise.
I loved the bad guys too; a Jokeresque villain with a snake like body and a perverted infactuation with his bosses daughter in law!!! Also, two twins, called Silver and Gold, one looks feminine with blonde locks and a fake gold eye, the other has a silver mask covering his grotesque face!!!! If only James Bond had villains like that!

Our anti-hero, Golgo 13 who is a suave, brooding hitman whose a hit with the ladies, and alletrgic to death!!! The Japanese Bond if you will!!!!

I would suggest any Manga fan's like myself, to watch it ASAP

An entertaining 80's slice of animated mayhem and debauchery!!!!

Also, i havent watched Black Magic M-66, i remember loving the comic by Masamune Shirow.

Snake, you my friend are a genius!!! GOLGO 13!!! LOL!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 8/10/2011 5:19:30 PM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 1104
RE: All Things Anime - 8/10/2011 5:25:01 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Frakkin' Cool ain't it?

Nice old-school animation and even though that Helicopter attack 'CGI' looks ANCIENT now, it still has a charm to it. Yeah man, I LOVE those crazy bad guys too. There's a two-disc edition? MUST HAVE IT!  I never bothered with GOLGO 13: QUEEN BEE - I heard by a close mate, it wasn't all that. I'm sure I read many years ago in MANGA MANIA Magazine that the look of 'Duke Toga' was based on George Lazenby as he was popular as a certain British Superspy with Japanese audiences.

Post #: 1105
RE: All Things Anime - 12/10/2011 8:36:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Watched it again last night, just had it reaffirmed what a fu***** awesome anime it is!! Classic Manga!! About time they did a sequel methinks!?

Post #: 1106
RE: All Things Anime - 14/11/2011 7:17:08 PM   
Chojin

Next on my watchlist are:

(When i'm done with all 8 seasons of The Shield)

Blood-C:

Blade:

Not really a Vampire binge, it's just worked out that way!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1107
RE: All Things Anime - 26/12/2011 6:15:09 PM   
the anomaly

Not watched any anime for over a year! But I'm back ...

Watching Fate/Stay on Crunchy Roll. It's about a holy war which happens every X amounts of years. One person from each respected house select a spirit to fight for them in the holy war against the other houses to win the grail. That's the simple summary. I think I'm not too far off from being up to date with it too. So far so good. It's an interesting story with the houses plotting against each other and the spirit battles are quite good.

EDIT: I know it may sound like Pokemon or something! Although the Sprirts are bound to their masters they do have their own agendas. Whats interesting is that they've all lived passed lives and some are some well know historical/mythical figures like King Arthur for example. The spirits fight on their own accord and aren't commanded move by move by their masters. Once again some work with their masters strategies others go off on their own. Some masters fight too with weapons or magic and others don't. So yeah it's not like a big pokemon battle which is what I was afraid of. 

Joyous bought me Gantz for Christmas. I thought I'd quite like it but only a few episodes in and it's truly trashy anime. Lot's of gore and ridiculous nudity for no reason. I'm less than two episodes in and there's been a naked classroom, one naked chick and one chick getting pleasured by a dog. Far from a prude but the latter was especially pointless and distasteful. Fan service I can understand and I have no problem with sex if it's needed ... even if it's not and it's funny, sexy or whatever fine but the latter ...
Animation doesn't look great a the moment to be fair I'm watching on my TV which I never usually do so that could be part of it.
Characters so far are all pretty unlike able but the story could be interesting. It's an 18 but honestly it's quite childish so far. Fate/Stay seems more mature in it's portrayal of the story and I'm sure that's aimed at 15+.

Joyous also bought me Claymore for Christmas. Heard good things about it so expectations are high. Hoping it's better than Gantz.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 26/12/2011 6:20:04 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1108
RE: All Things Anime - 27/12/2011 6:35:05 PM   
Chojin

I just so happen to have seen all of the above!

Fate/Stay - Are you watching the original series rather than the new zero series? I haven't seen the new series yet but the original was enjoyable enough. The movie is also a good summary/retelling of the original series with new animation.

Gantz - I love Gantz so I can't see where the disliking is coming from! The Anime is a watered down version of the manga but for the first 20 or so episodes it sticks to the mangas plot. Unfortunately as it was a long-running manga the writers ended the series and came up with an alternative ending. The manga goes on to develop/redeem the characters a lot more and it's the only series where truly no-one is safe from death. Kei really grows as a character as it progresses but you won't see this in the anime unfortunately. Once it's complete I can see a new series being developed which will animate the entire manga but for now the current series has to do....

Claymore - As above really! I really enjoyed this as well, it's right up my street. The ending was made up again as it's another long-running series but this time I didn't seem to notice as much and thoroughly enjoyed this series.

So I think you're in for a treat with both Gantz and Claymore!

As for me, I recently watched 'Blade' - the final Marvel Anime Project. No need to beat around the bush. It was shit.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1109
RE: All Things Anime - 28/12/2011 9:30:42 AM   
the anomaly

Watching the new series of Fate/Stay called Fate/Zero:

Regarding Gantz ... I spoke to Joyous about it ... and she didn't remember the dog orally pleasuring the chick. Turns out she saw the standard version whilst the discs I have are all uncut. So that's why that is there ... though again seriously WTF! Kei is too much of a perv and the chick is way too objectified. Hopefully she becomes a stronger character latter on and Kei becomes less pervy. Ten episodes in and they are going on their second hunt. It's improved and hoping it does get better.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1110
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: All Things Anime Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI