Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: All Things Anime

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: All Things Anime Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All Things Anime - 31/5/2007 4:24:58 PM   
curtain twitcher

What is all the fuss about Bleach and Naruto? One of my friends watchs them and thinks they are amazing, but i'm not sure if i fancy them because it is not usually the kind of Anime i am into. Is it worth the hype it i have been hearing about?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 61
RE: All Things Anime - 31/5/2007 5:18:21 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Watch the first 10 episodes of each and make your own mind up. I think both series at their peaks are as entertaining as anything I've seen. The great thing is if you get into it you will have loads of episodes to catch up on!

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 62
RE: All Things Anime - 31/5/2007 5:42:00 PM   
curtain twitcher

I'll have to borrow them off my friend at some point then.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 63
RE: All Things Anime - 31/5/2007 6:34:49 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

What is all the fuss about Bleach and Naruto? One of my friends watchs them and thinks they are amazing, but i'm not sure if i fancy them because it is not usually the kind of Anime i am into. Is it worth the hype it i have been hearing about?

Dont ever believe in the hype of anything. They are not perfect Animes and not everything is for everyone.
As "Fluke Sky Walker" Said watch a few and see if its your thing if you enjoy the first few then stick with
it because they only get better.
It took me awhile to get into both of them for "Naruto" I was hooked by the "Chunnin Exam" arc & Bleach
the "Soul society" arc. If you dont like them by the time you get into these then forget them.

Post #: 64
RE: All Things Anime - 31/5/2007 8:14:04 PM   
curtain twitcher

Okay, cheers. So, has anyone seen Patlabor television series and the two films? If so what did you all think?

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 1/6/2007 3:51:11 PM >

Post #: 65
RE: All Things Anime - 1/6/2007 10:41:48 PM   
curtain twitcher

C'mon people! We need to get this thread going again!

Post #: 66
RE: All Things Anime - 1/6/2007 11:15:33 PM   
mafyou

quote:

C'mon people! We need to get this thread going again!

I know, sorry! Tbh you're drifting into (by the looks of it) all the Mecha stuff and i'm more into the Ghibli stuff (that thread has died to!). I love most animes its just hard to find time to watch all these series you're throwing at us!lol. I've never even heard of this 'Patlabor'!

Seriously, look for Voices of a Distant Star. Mechas + Meaning = Magic!

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 67
RE: All Things Anime - 1/6/2007 11:40:05 PM   
curtain twitcher

I wasn't meaning that anyone post specifically to the Patlabor post, i just meant we should post something in general about Anime. Post a review that we can all chat about. Patlabor was directed by Mamoru Oshii who directed Ghost In The Shell and Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence which are his most famous Anime's i think.

Here is a link about Patlabor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patlabor

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 68
RE: All Things Anime - 2/6/2007 11:21:31 AM   
mafyou

Oh cool! I didn't realise it was Oshii. I'd watch that because it's him.

I'm going to guess that most people have seen G.I.T.S: Innocence. I personally preferred that film to the first one but everyone else seems to consider it to be inferior. I think it is a lot cleverer than people give it credit for. Plus the carnival scene is just WOW.

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 69
RE: All Things Anime - 2/6/2007 2:17:34 PM   
curtain twitcher

Damn right! It is easier to understand if you have studied philosophy, which i did. The plot is very philisophically based and quite high brow so it is easy to understand why people feel intimidated by it.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 70
RE: All Things Anime - 2/6/2007 2:41:57 PM   
mafyou

I haven't studied philosophy (but i like to think i understand some of it!) and obviously there is a lot of quoting in Innocence but that is why it came under a lot of fire. 'Oshii didn't have anything to say and just tried to be clever'.

I think that's just utter rubbish because if somebody said something that made perfect sense to what you want to say don't just disregard it!?

Let's get really deep and talk about the films philosophy...

(by that i mean you explain some of it to me!hehe)

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 71
RE: All Things Anime - 2/6/2007 2:49:55 PM   
curtain twitcher

Well. First off, what do you want to know? That will help me a lot if you give me some guidlines to go by. I can explain that scene about the 17th century French philosopher Rennie Descartes but i did not study him, i did philosophy at school (i am now 25) and remember all of it but these things i can only explain with reference from the film, but not really from my own epansive knowledge on philosophy (check me out, so modest)!. You see, i am from Scotland, and we used to study Descartes and Plato but they changed the curriculum, so consequentialy we did not study them, but ask away and i will do my best to answer your question's and query's about this film.

Those bastards who said Oshii had nothing to say reflect the point i made before, and that most likely accuse all of this film's lovers of being 'film snobs' and 'Sight And Sound lovers', which is probably true but they are just jealous because they do not have the mental capacity to understand the nature of the subject matter that GITS 2: Innocence reflects and heavily bases it's plot upon. If anyone tells me i am a film snob and an 'art house lover', then i retort: 'Thank you'! Because it shows i have impeccable taste and a certain standard in what a good film should be, and this one peaks way above my standards of excellent cinema (and let's face it, if you are familiar with my standard and quality of what a good film should be, then you would be shocked at me saying all of this, even though i am a great appreciater of Asian and foreign cinema in general and that is including Anime, as you know doubt have guessed)!

Can you believe that Empire only gave this film three stars! It's like the two star review of the Godfather Part 3, honestly! They gave the first one four stars as well.

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 2/6/2007 4:34:46 PM >

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 72
RE: All Things Anime - 2/6/2007 3:54:07 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

quote:

One of them was set at the end of WW2 in Japan in the eyes of two children i think, just at the time of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings

Which was very probably the Ghibli film "Grave of the Fireflies" (which is excellent). If not, then it's "Barefoot Gen" (which is pretty good). Both films focus on kids affected by the war in Japan, the former is about the country under attack, whereas the latter specifically deals with the A-bombs and resulting radiation poisoning.

I think Grave of the Fireflies is one of the saddest, most tragic films I've ever seen, animated or not. It shows the second world war from an angle we don't get to see much round here; from the perspective of the ordinary people on the "baddies" side; people who are living in poverty.

Roger Ebert's review is excellent:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000319/REVIEWS08/3190301/1023

< Message edited by Mikey C -- 2/6/2007 3:55:50 PM >

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 73
RE: All Things Anime - 2/6/2007 4:32:29 PM   
curtain twitcher

I have yet to see it, but i would totally agree that war films that show the scenarios and the whole war in general from all perpsectives are usually the best becasue they are not biased (but i especially favour war films that show it from 'the baddies' point of view as so many people would eloquently put it). Their are always two sides to a tale, and we must never forget that, with me keeping filmakers in mind in particular.

Mikey, have you dug up the list yet?

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 3/6/2007 4:19:34 PM >

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 74
RE: All Things Anime - 4/6/2007 10:35:06 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

Grave of The Fireflies is outstanding but really really sad.

Patlabor 1 I have seen but don't have that much memory of. I think it falls into the 3 star category.

G.I.T.S : Innocence I found a bit boring and definately pretentious. Not a patch on the first one.

Post #: 75
RE: All Things Anime - 4/6/2007 3:53:33 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

G.I.T.S : Innocence I found a bit boring and definately pretentious. Not a patch on the first one.

I think i should really watch the first one again. It might well be the better film, but i just preferred the second one.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 76
RE: All Things Anime - 5/6/2007 5:06:01 PM   
Deviation

Howl's Moving Castle is a truly great film. When is Miyazaki's new film out?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 77
RE: All Things Anime - 5/6/2007 8:26:58 PM   
mafyou

Ponyo isn't out until something like next year...for Japan. So we will not see a version until 2009 and chances are that will have to be the Japanese dvd.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 78
RE: All Things Anime - 5/6/2007 8:32:50 PM   
Horror Nut

Just started to get into anime myself. Got myself Street Fighter 2 last week, thought it was quite good.

Seeing as I'm a newbie for anime, any suggestions as to what I should check out???

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 79
RE: All Things Anime - 5/6/2007 9:31:04 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

If you mean Tales of Earthsea (which the author is quoted as liking the style but not how her story has been interpreted), it's out on July 4 on Japanese R2 DVD in various editions (all English subbed - and apparently already dubbed if CDJapan is to be believed).  Due to an arsey US situation where the SciFi channel has a TV miniseries of the same story running at the mo won't allow the Ghibli version shown there until their version has run its course it doesn't get a North American showing until 2009, but fortunately that isn't applying here as a UK release is planned for August 3.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 80
RE: All Things Anime - 5/6/2007 10:04:48 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

quote:

If you mean Tales of Earthsea (which the author is quoted as liking the style but not how her story has been interpreted), it's out on July 4 on Japanese R2 DVD in various editions (all English subbed - and apparently already dubbed if CDJapan is to be believed).  Due to an arsey US situation where the SciFi channel has a TV miniseries of the same story running at the mo won't allow the Ghibli version shown there until their version has run its course it doesn't get a North American showing until 2009, but fortunately that isn't applying here as a UK release is planned for August 3.

That's Goro. I assumed that Deviation meant Hayao, hence why i said Ponyo.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 81
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 9:14:13 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

quote:

That's Goro. I assumed that Deviation meant Hayao, hence why i said Ponyo.

Any one of them. I love Miyazaki. Speaking of which, how many of you guys have seen Jin-ro The Wolf Brigade? Great animation, plus good story, added unusual romance(Soldier and terrorist) with beautiful music.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 82
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 9:22:26 AM   
curtain twitcher

Yes! Tis' revived! I saw some of Patalbor one and thought oit was okay but ithought it was a bit boring so i couldn't be bothered watching all if it. I should watch it all and then proceed to watch it's sequel and television series and i might have a better out look on it.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 83
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 11:40:44 AM   
mafyou

quote:

how many of you guys have seen Jin-ro The Wolf Brigade? Great animation, plus good story, added unusual romance(Soldier and terrorist) with beautiful music.

Sounds interesting. I'm off to do some research. By the guys and gals where does everyone buy their anime from? At a reasonable price?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 84
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 12:35:36 PM   
curtain twitcher

HMV, Virgin Megastores, Amazon, Play.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 85
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 1:36:23 PM   
mafyou

quote:

See that's what i use but for some reason i always imagine there is more out there. What's that weird Japanese anime film set in a school travelling through space and time or something like that? That's not in any of those (he says confidently)

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 86
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 2:00:48 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Is Excel Saga any good? I'd never heard of it 'til I saw it featured on the Wikipedia home page the other day. I used to live near Fukuoka so I'm interested. I love that city.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 87
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 2:31:16 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

quote:

See that's what i use but for some reason i always imagine there is more out there. What's that weird Japanese anime film set in a school travelling through space and time or something like that? That's not in any of those (he says confidently)

You've just got to search i around suppose. There are a lot of Animes that i don't know about and are quite good i'm sure. Ask about on the forum, ask friends, go on Anime sites and see which are the most recommended. The problem is, how do you know it won't be crap? I suppose you just have to take a chance with some Anime, even stuff that is highly recommended and your not sure of.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 88
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 3:08:09 PM   
mafyou

quote:

quote:

quote:

You've just got to search i around suppose. There are a lot of Animes that i don't know about and are quite good i'm sure. Ask about on the forum, ask friends, go on Anime sites and see which are the most recommended. The problem is, how do you know it won't be crap? I suppose you just have to take a chance with some Anime, even stuff that is highly recommended and your not sure of.

I know. It's quite amusing though, because i've not heard of Excel Saga (Rumbaabaa) or a lot of others let alone seen them! Gah! I need more money and time to dedicated myself to something like anime. Shocking really. Perhaps, if someone sees an Anime they could write a little synopsis here and a little review perhaps?

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 89
RE: All Things Anime - 6/6/2007 3:16:38 PM   
curtain twitcher

Yeah that would be a good idea. Can you start and i'll follow suite.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: All Things Anime Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI