Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

All Things Anime

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> All Things Anime Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 6:42:26 PM   
curtain twitcher

Let's get chatting about Animes (or Manga if you will). Anything to do with Anime goes and all genres (films and television spin offs). But i don't want any talk of Hentai alright? Dirty dirty. I'll start off with my list of absoulute favourite Anime's to date.

Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Blood: The Last Vampire
Akira
Appleseed
Ghost In The Shell
Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence
Ninja Scroll
Metropolis
Neon Genesis Evangelion (the three films and the 24 episode telly series).
Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex telly series (apparantly they are making a film too).

Okay, *slaps and rubbs hands together* let the Anime fest begin!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

Post #: 1
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 7:47:04 PM   
mafyou

Okey Dokey let's get chatting. I'm a bit of a newbie to anime but i've seen quite a few of those in your favourites list. Personally, i'm a huge fan of Studio Ghibli but what i really want to start watching is NGE and Elfen Lied. Have you seen the latter? I'm waiting for the money to be able to buy them as i hear good things about both.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 2
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 8:36:41 PM   
The Lensman

great list!!!

id put on there:

The Lensman
Cowboy Bebop
Space Adventure Cobra
Fist of the North Star

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 3
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 8:41:25 PM   
curtain twitcher

Has anyone seen Trigun or Hellsing? Does anyone remember Empire's top ten Anime list? Is there anyway i can still get a hold of it? I want to read it again!

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 31/5/2007 8:16:15 PM >

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 4
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 8:48:35 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

Has anyone seen Gungrave or Hellsing? Does anyone remember Empire's top ten Anime list? Is there anyway i can still get a hold of it? I want to read it again!

no sorry, but i remember when the Sci Fi channel used to show all the best anime films, introduced me to the world.

theres some talk that the channel is relaunching the initiative.... dunno if its true though

Post #: 5
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 8:57:52 PM   
curtain twitcher

That sounds cool.

Post #: 6
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 9:06:41 PM   
mafyou

I'd add Voices of a Distant Star to that list.

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 7
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 9:07:48 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

That sounds cool.

im quite easy when it comes to anime - its either gotta be - Robots and i mean Huge robots kickin the crap out of each other, Sci Fi epic and anything with some sort of violence in it.....

The Guyver series is pretty good too!!!

Post #: 8
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 9:12:26 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Never seen it. Is it good?

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 9
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 9:13:42 PM   
curtain twitcher

What's the one with the demons in it that shag everyone and the big purple cock's flying around the place? It's really famous.

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 21/5/2007 9:14:32 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 9:17:14 PM   
mafyou

quote:

quote:

I thought it was very good. Very emotional. It is only 25 minute short film but it is fantastic. And all done by one man - Shinkai.

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 11
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 9:27:15 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

What's the one with the demons in it that shag everyone and the big purple cock's flying around the place? It's really famous.

haha!!!! never heard of that one!

Post #: 12
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 9:47:56 PM   
curtain twitcher

Look in this issue of Empire in the sealed section and it tells you somewhere. I don't have my copy with me right now.

Post #: 13
RE: All Things Anime - 21/5/2007 10:29:55 PM   
Deadly_Little_Miho

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought it was very good. Very emotional. It is only 25 minute short film but it is fantastic. And all done by one man - Shinkai.

Seconded. He's also directed 'The Place Promised In Our Early Days', which is supposedly very good. I haven't seen it, but it's high priority over at LoveFilm.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish... And his wife!"

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 14
RE: All Things Anime - 22/5/2007 9:04:12 AM   
foz

quote:

Urotsukidoji (lit. "Wandering Boy", released over here as Legend of the Overfiend) is notable for being an early foray into ero-guru (and - IIRC - the introduction of tentacle rape), but has little else to recommend it - subject matter aside, the "film" is 3 OAV eps badly edited together and then cut to shreds by various censors in Japan, US and here, making it an almost completely nonsensical watch.

Post #: 15
RE: All Things Anime - 22/5/2007 10:58:03 AM   
Gram123

The Ghost In The Shell SAC movie is due out on R1 on July 3rd, and on R2 on August 6th.

I've not got round to watching Innocence yet - I'm 20 eps into the 2nd gig series, and figured I'd watch all of that, then re-watch the original GITC film, and then finally watch Innocence. Both series are great, the second one edging it for me, though the heavy exposition can be a bit confusing.

I found that there weren't a huge number of anime films being made anymore, and an interview on Ninja Scroll suggests that this is because they don't make enough money. Someone here suggested Mind Game though, which certainly looks interesting.

So, I've kind of moved on to series now, but I'm a bit wary as many of them go on for a long time, so it can be a pretty pricey risk to buy a whole series blind. I intend to watch either Hellsing or Samurai Champloo after I finish the GITC marathon, or Mrs Gram123's Paranoia Agent. As I've stated elsewhere, I'm not a big fan of the big daft mecha robot/-suit series'.

Has anyone seen any of the .hack stuff? Or the Ninja Scroll series? I'm kind of interested in Fullmetal Alchemist too. And Rurouni Kenshin.

==Gram123==

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 22/5/2007 11:01:12 AM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 16
RE: All Things Anime - 22/5/2007 11:04:33 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

I started a Bleach / Naruto thread but no takers it seems. Anyone here watch them?

My favourites are Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in The Shell. (I thought Innocence was a bit dry and bordering on pretentious).

I've seen Legend of The Overfiend. I think the baddie is shagging a nurse till his knob expands and she explodes and then his knob travels through the hospital absorbing people into it! Nice

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 17
RE: All Things Anime - 22/5/2007 8:13:45 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

The Ghost In The Shell SAC movie is due out on R1 on July 3rd, and on R2 on August 6th.

I've not got round to watching Innocence yet - I'm 20 eps into the 2nd gig series, and figured I'd watch all of that, then re-watch the original GITC film, and then finally watch Innocence. Both series are great, the second one edging it for me, though the heavy exposition can be a bit confusing.

I found that there weren't a huge number of anime films being made anymore, and an interview on Ninja Scroll suggests that this is because they don't make enough money. Someone here suggested Mind Game though, which certainly looks interesting.

So, I've kind of moved on to series now, but I'm a bit wary as many of them go on for a long time, so it can be a pretty pricey risk to buy a whole series blind. I intend to watch either Hellsing or Samurai Champloo after I finish the GITC marathon, or Mrs Gram123's Paranoia Agent. As I've stated elsewhere, I'm not a big fan of the big daft mecha robot/-suit series'.

Has anyone seen any of the .hack stuff? Or the Ninja Scroll series? I'm kind of interested in Fullmetal Alchemist too. And Rurouni Kenshin.

==Gram123==

Thanks! Can't wait for the movie. BTW do you know when the Stand Alone Complex 2nd gig boxset is out? It's taking forever, i have got the first one in box set and that took long enough. I watched Innocence again last night, great film. Empire only gave it three stars, it's clearly a four star film. Can anyone recommend other really good Anime's to me?

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 18
RE: All Things Anime - 22/5/2007 8:19:56 PM   
curtain twitcher

Hey gram123, is there a Ninja Scroll tv series? I have got the film. Apparantly they are working on a Appleseed sequel and an Appleseed tv series. They are still making quite a lot of Anime's but they do not come out as frequently as they used to. It takes longer too because with all this top quality animation they are using it costs a lot more time and money now too, so it's always a waiting game with new Anime's coming out, and good ones too.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 19
RE: All Things Anime - 22/5/2007 9:54:39 PM   
G.O.B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

==Gram123==

I started watching fullmetal Alchemist a while ago with a japanese guy staying with me and i'm up to the third series.It's an excellent show with an odd poor episode here and there but mostly it is an excellent series.I suggest you wait for the inevitable series boxsets that will be released after all the vanilla dvd's have been released.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 20
RE: All Things Anime - 23/5/2007 12:29:58 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Can anyone recommend other really good Anime's to me?

Have you seen Cowboy Bebop? One of my all time favourites that one

Post #: 21
RE: All Things Anime - 23/5/2007 1:18:24 PM   
Gram123

quote:

Thanks! Can't wait for the movie. BTW do you know when the Stand Alone Complex 2nd gig boxset is out? It's taking forever, i have got the first one in box set and that took long enough.

Erm... this one?

It's been out since February...
I just finished watching it last night.

Post #: 22
RE: All Things Anime - 23/5/2007 1:45:42 PM   
Gram123

quote:

Hey gram123, is there a Ninja Scroll tv series?

Yep.

or

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 23
RE: All Things Anime - 23/5/2007 5:57:59 PM   
curtain twitcher

Need to buy that Ninja Scroll series, preferably the latter. Is taht every single episode in that metal boxset? And GITS 2nd gig boxset, is that as good as the first one?

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 24
RE: All Things Anime - 23/5/2007 8:08:38 PM   
rockerjo

I am an absolute nut about anime i have a collection good anime:

cowboy bebop
naruto
bleach
elfen lied
excel saga
she:the ultimate weapon
princess mononoke
spirited away
hellsing
evangelion
chobits
akira
ghost in the shell (SAC as well)
gits 2
origin of o-ren
gilgamesh

i could carry this on for ever. I FKIN LUV ANIME!!!! somebody reply

Naruto 2 * * *
Talledaega Nights: Ballad Of Ricky Bobby * * * *
The End Of Evangelion * * * * *
Out Of Time * * * *

"If you were in your office we would be having this conversation face to face"

Post #: 25
RE: All Things Anime - 23/5/2007 9:38:13 PM   
curtain twitcher

What is your avatar of? I watched GITS 2 the other night. Amazing. I have a huge dvd list of films i need to buy but getting the second boxset series of Stand Alone Complex and the Ninja Scroll series top that list instantly. And the Stand Alone Complex film when it comes out.

(in reply to rockerjo)
Post #: 26
RE: All Things Anime - 24/5/2007 9:36:06 AM   
Gram123

quote:

Need to buy that Ninja Scroll series, preferably the latter. Is taht every single episode in that metal boxset?

Yeah, I think so. The series is available in 3 volumes which are only 1 disc each. The boxset (tin or otherwise) contain 4 discs.

quote:

And GITS 2nd gig boxset, is that as good as the first one?

Better, IMO.
I left my mini-review on the Foreign films you watched recently thread yesterday.

Post #: 27
RE: All Things Anime - 25/5/2007 5:27:26 PM   
rockerjo

quote:

What is your avatar of? I watched GITS 2 the other night. Amazing. I have a huge dvd list of films i need to buy but getting the second boxset series of Stand Alone Complex and the Ninja Scroll series top that list instantly. And the Stand Alone Complex film when it comes out.
My avatar is of cowboy bebop: the movie on the train scene. i just remembered i havent seen gits 2. i'll probably get it with solid state society...

Naruto 2 * * *
Out Of Time * * * *

Post #: 28
RE: All Things Anime - 26/5/2007 5:53:36 PM   
curtain twitcher

Is Cowboy Bebop good?

(in reply to rockerjo)
Post #: 29
RE: All Things Anime - 27/5/2007 2:14:35 PM   
rockerjo

quote:

Is Cowboy Bebop good?

its amazing i have only seen 1 or 2 episodes they are good. but i have the movie on dvd on amzon its only 3.99 i think.

Naruto 2 * * *
Out Of Time * * * *

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> All Things Anime Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI