Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 20/5/2007 5:44:03 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Wait, who is forcing you to buy it? Stop whinging about the fucking cover.

A solid argument well made.

Where do you see me giving out about the cover? I'm talking content. It'd be a HUGE surprise to me if the latest Star Wars appreciation is limited to just a cover - I assume there's a feature in the magazine.

No one is "forcing" me to buy it, however, as someone who has bought it regularly for nearly 10 years now I think I'm entitled to express my disppointment at a shocking lack of originality.

Also there are some people who subscribe to the magazine - they've bought theirs already, as many subscribers do on good faith in the quality of the magazine. As someone else posted, the last time Empire gave coverage to Star Wars, they said it'd be the last time.

So you can see, rich, that peoples concerns go far beyond the "fucking cover".

If you'll note I didn't quote you as I was commenting on the thread in general. And yes well done you're a loyal customer, but that still doesn't mean you can have any impact whatsoever on the magazine's content. Nobody is going to say, "good lord this fellow is complaining alot, let's change our staff and rethink our approach". Get a grip.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 121
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 20/5/2007 6:48:22 PM   
Ed Wood

quote:

quote:

quote:

Where do you see me giving out about the cover? I'm talking content. It'd be a HUGE surprise to me if the latest Star Wars appreciation is limited to just a cover - I assume there's a feature in the magazine.

No one is "forcing" me to buy it, however, as someone who has bought it regularly for nearly 10 years now I think I'm entitled to express my disppointment at a shocking lack of originality.

Also there are some people who subscribe to the magazine - they've bought theirs already, as many subscribers do on good faith in the quality of the magazine. As someone else posted, the last time Empire gave coverage to Star Wars, they said it'd be the last time.

If you'll note I didn't quote you as I was commenting on the thread in general. And yes well done you're a loyal customer, but that still doesn't mean you can have any impact whatsoever on the magazine's content. Nobody is going to say, "good lord this fellow is complaining alot, let's change our staff and rethink our approach". Get a grip.

You're one of the ones who are going to get all 30 aren't you??

PICK FLICK

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 122
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 20/5/2007 7:17:51 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Can we get (another) promise that this will be the last Star Wars issue or will this be te case again in ten years?

Don't worry. I'm sure there will be another feature when the next boxset comes out.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 123
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 8:54:28 AM   
Helen OHara

I don't recall anyone making any such promise, but it is the 30th anniversary - this has been planned for quite some time.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 124
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 9:04:51 AM   
jediwarrior

If it's out this Friday. Are you not behind in showing the covers? One a day you will still be going in June!!

I like the Stormtrooper cover. Best one so far

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 125
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 9:56:36 AM   
britesparc

Why are people surprised that Empire is doing another feature on Star Wars? They do reader surveys, they understand their magazine's demographic; they know that most Empire readers - indeed, I'd wager, most Empire subscribers - are huge Star Wars fans, who'd love another article about one of their favourite films. And whilst reaction to the thirty covers might range from "cool" to "overkill", it's inkeeping with their previous "Crazy Star Wars Party" vibe that's seen multiple covers for Star Wars several times in the past decade or so.

Personally, I'd love an article on the Jazz Singer or to see Jeff Goldblum on the cover, but they do have articles on "classic" films every month, so I feel perfectly satistfied in that regard. And I shall be buying as many covers as I can afford next month, as I am a huge Star Wars fan.

Here's hoping for ten Lord of the Rings covers in 2011.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 126
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 12:28:12 PM   
Ed Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc

Why are people surprised that Empire is doing another feature on Star Wars? They do reader surveys, they understand their magazine's demographic; they know that most Empire readers - indeed, I'd wager, most Empire subscribers - are huge Star Wars fans, who'd love another article about one of their favourite films. And whilst reaction to the thirty covers might range from "cool" to "overkill", it's inkeeping with their previous "Crazy Star Wars Party" vibe that's seen multiple covers for Star Wars several times in the past decade or so.

Personally, I'd love an article on the Jazz Singer or to see Jeff Goldblum on the cover, but they do have articles on "classic" films every month, so I feel perfectly satistfied in that regard. And I shall be buying as many covers as I can afford next month, as I am a huge Star Wars fan.

Here's hoping for ten Lord of the Rings covers in 2011.

but there's nothing more to say about them surely, and because they know it's one of the most poular films of all time they know it's an easy way to make more money.

PICK FLICK

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 127
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 12:37:27 PM   
fantomas

My concerns definitely go beyond the cover, but I'm afraid that the cover is king when it comes to Empire.Which is why we've had Spidey twice in the last few months, not to mention Transformers, Silver Surfer and an "Ultimate Superhero Special" .... need I say more.
With circulation figures dropping in every period, they have to drag impulse buyers off the shelves and pander to the fanboy element to do this - I was looking for a bit of diversity - both in the covers, but especially in the content.
Yes I'm a subscriber and have been for many years, Yes I saw Star Wars as a 9 year old and was blown away and yes I still buy the odd comic or graphic novel... But, there is only so many times you can milk a cash cow before you start to drain it dry and this is how it's appearing to me.
When they did the indie 25 year special i loved it and the edit inside, but I still yearned for the Time Bandits to be on the front cover.
Maybe that's me and I know people will say "if you don't like it you don't have to buy it" and I will probably will take that advice.
I was always told as a kid "never buy a book on it's cover" ... Well here's 30 reasons to follow that advice.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 128
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 1:19:22 PM   
pawsey

Am I the only one who wants to see a Lando cover? Come on, more respect for Billy Dee!

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 129
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 1:24:42 PM   
Damian Pittam

Empire, this really is taking the piss. It used to be that you'd do multiple covers every once in a while, but it now seems to be happening on a regular basis and 30 really is going too far.

My subscription had better be a stormtrooper or there'll be bother!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 130
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 1:32:07 PM   
Rumbaabaa

This is why I'm not a subscriber 

They still haven't told us how they're going to reveal all the covers by Friday if they just do one per day. I want to go out on Friday knowing which cover out of all 30 I want!

Here's hoping Princess Leia will be cute as a button in her bun hair and white outfit from the first film rather than looking rather old in an uncomfortable metal bikini like everyone else wants...

(in reply to Damian Pittam)
Post #: 131
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 2:08:31 PM   
Mock Tudor

I think it's 30 covers too many, but no worse than a second cover for FF2 or Transformers, I suppose. Of course we might get that as well.
But what really concerns me is the actual content. In terms of utter pointlessness the last Star Wars feature will be hard to top, but I fear it could happen.

< Message edited by Mock Tudor -- 21/5/2007 2:09:04 PM >

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 132
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 2:40:58 PM   
Tig

I apologise if this has been said before but .... please God don't put Jar Jar on one of the 30 covers!!  Think if this happens I might just have to find another film magazine. 

(in reply to Mock Tudor)
Post #: 133
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 2:52:42 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Or buy one of the other 29...

(in reply to Tig)
Post #: 134
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 3:14:43 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

I don't recall anyone making any such promise, but it is the 30th anniversary - this has been planned for quite some time.

From the Unofficial Star Wars DVD Viewing Companion [free with issue 197]:

"This is Empire's final (probably) tribute to the films that have defined a generation (or two) of moviegoers"

I appreciate there's the use of "probably" in there, but still, it seems like a declaration of closure. Yet there's been at least two major features on Star Wars since then.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

Post #: 135
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 3:42:40 PM   
McQueen

McQueen disaproves of our decision to cover Star Wars in this manner, but expressed his thoughts in an unacceptably crude way.

< Message edited by Helen OHara -- 21/5/2007 4:09:01 PM >

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 136
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 3:55:01 PM   
druncula

I'd like to see Admiral Piette on the cover as Ken Colley lives round the corner from me and we drink in the same local, im sure a sig on the cover would enable me to purchase the other 29 covers..

(in reply to McQueen)
Post #: 137
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 4:10:51 PM   
Helen OHara

Ah Tommy, as a lawyer I'd point out that that use of the word "probably" is entirely inconsistent with it being a promise, I'd split hairs over the meaning of the word "tribute" and then I'd take all your money and run away. As a staffer, I'd say much the same but without the money bit.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 138
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 4:24:40 PM   
Olly Richards

quote:

ORIGINAL: fantomas

With circulation figures dropping in every period, they have to drag impulse buyers off the shelves and pander to the fanboy element to do this

I don't know where you're getting your figures from, but they're wrong

(in reply to fantomas)
Post #: 139
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 5:15:21 PM   
fantomas

Actually talking about all magazines / newsprint in general - but especially consumer magzines and the men's market specifically -  but to be picky - as you threw down the gauntlet - according to ABC, you have dropped share. So if you have any problems with the body set up to monitor circulation - I would take it up with them.
Yes - I do work in the industry, but in advertising far removed from the glossy world of movies and it's not for any of your competitors.

(in reply to Olly Richards)
Post #: 140
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 5:38:48 PM   
britesparc

Helen & Olly: are the subscribers going to get something special? Or will it just be pot luck which cover we get?

Whilst I'd appreciate the comedy value of a Jar Jar cover, I don't want to get stuck with Baby Anakin or something!

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to Olly Richards)
Post #: 141
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 5:43:21 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

Ah Tommy, as a lawyer I'd point out that that use of the word "probably" is entirely inconsistent with it being a promise, I'd split hairs over the meaning of the word "tribute" and then I'd take all your money and run away. As a staffer, I'd say much the same but without the money bit.

As a law student [who sat his contract honours exam three weeks ago and has already forgotten all he learned] I'd concede that it's probably not binding as a contract but could be construed as a promise. Unfortunately the doctrine of promise doesn't exist in English law so there is that technicality.

Still, a lack of good faith, and all.

Post #: 142
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 5:56:30 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

Why are legalities being brought into this? It's their magazine, they can do what they want.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

Post #: 143
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 6:03:32 PM   
parsonage84

Some of you people taking this way too serious, so what if Star Wars in on the front, When silver surfer was on the front cover didnt put me off from buying it, surely only thing that matters is whats in the actual magazine and the feature that will be on star wars will be at most like 8 pages (or could be like the sealed 18 section in current issue) of the mag so not really the end of the world

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 144
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 6:10:35 PM   
Mock Tudor

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

the feature that will be on star wars will be at most like 8 pages (or could be like the sealed 18 section in current issue) of the mag so not really the end of the world

Does it really have to be the end of the world before anyone is allowed to voice disapproval in Empire's official magazine feed back forum?

And eight pages (though I fear it will be much more than that) about Star Wars is eight pages not about something else.

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 145
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 6:19:04 PM   
parsonage84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mock Tudor

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

the feature that will be on star wars will be at most like 8 pages (or could be like the sealed 18 section in current issue) of the mag so not really the end of the world

Does it really have to be the end of the world before anyone is allowed to voice disapproval in Empire's official magazine feed back forum?

And eight pages (though I fear it will be much more than that) about Star Wars is eight pages not about something else.

yes
I dont really care as i love Star Wars so am happy either way

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to Mock Tudor)
Post #: 146
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 6:20:42 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

Why are legalities being brought into this? It's their magazine, they can do what they want.

I'm not actually threatening a legal challenge, 'twas a joke. Helen gave an "as a lawyer" response to my earlier post so I gave an "as a law student" one in response.

Post #: 147
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 6:29:07 PM   
Joe

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, you're right - I myself don't have any impact - but judging by the amount of people who aren't enthralled by this idea on this forum I'm far from alone.

Also, did Empire provide this section of the forum just for praise of the magaine? I think not. So maybe it's you who should get a grip. Probably on SFX or whatever fanboy reading material that gives you your fix while you wait for Empire to have an excuse to cut and paste again....

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 148
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 6:31:17 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

Why are legalities being brought into this? It's their magazine, they can do what they want.

I'm not actually threatening a legal challenge, 'twas a joke. Helen gave an "as a lawyer" response to my earlier post so I gave an "as a law student" one in response.

Before that, you said about "(probably)" being a legally binding promise - when it obviously isn't. That's all.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

Post #: 149
RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. - 21/5/2007 6:55:06 PM   
mafyou

Well i'm just worried when i have to choose which cover. I may have a nervous breakdown in store.

I can't wait and it is just the cover...big Star Wars fan that i am can't wait for a nice big Star Wars feature!

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: 30 Years. 30 Covers. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI