Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. Page: <<   < prev  639 640 641 642 [643]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 27/2/2014 11:30:54 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I think we have vanquished the deadites, for they offer no retort these days.

We don't need to, we can just point at The Hobbit 2: Mo Money Mo Problems and laaaaaaaugh.

Horses for courses dear Rawls. I thought The Hobbit 2 was great a solid 4 star film and far less vomit inducing than ED.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 19261
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 2/3/2014 8:58:09 PM   
Incanus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

What did you think of Smaug?

Sort of chatty, but otherwise adequate. I found the scene with the molten gold rather pointless, since dragons are immune to fire effects.

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 19262
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 3/3/2014 12:36:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Maybe the dwarves didn't know that?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 19263
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 7/3/2014 9:36:21 PM   
Incanus

The specific Dwarves don't seem to know a number of things, as one would expect from fighters. This, however, is not a matter of knoweldge, as they have seen Smaug breathe fire and lay everything around the Lonely Mountain to ruin. They could easily have guessed it.

This entire sequence (the lighting of the furnaces, the instantaneous smelting of gold, the brief formation of a semi-liquid statue) was one of those rather pointless, time consuming inventions of PJ's.

WINTER IS COMING

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

Post #: 19264
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 8/3/2014 5:38:16 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The weakest of his Middle Earth films then?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 19265
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 15/3/2014 5:33:03 PM   
Incanus

Oh but I do think it was very much Middle-earthy. In my humble opinion, it just wasn't The Hobbit: The Chapters in the Middle.

Enter the age-old discussion: Books over Movie adaptations.

I am all for movie adaptations of books. I never complain about departures from the original novel. I do appreciate the difference in medium and can understand the narrative necessities governing each.

However, this is not a case of a film failing to capture the essence of a novel or departing from the novel's storyline. An example of this would be both Total Recall movies.

The Desolation of Smaug is an original movie having very little to do with the novel. Contrary to complaints common among Ringers, the film's shortcomings are not attributable to, let's say, Jackson's need to compress parts of a chapter, as it was the case with the LotR, or to skip others entirely. This was an occasion of expansion beyond the measure that the original fabric could withstand without risking--as it inevitably happened--becoming something else with little relation to the novel.

It was as if Jackson couldn't stop inventing new material of little consequence to the story, to be honest. It seems, he was faced with a serious problem: although the novel did feature thirteen Dwarves, these were but names and little was given in the book that would allow a filmmaker to produce plotlines with 3D characters. A children's novel might work with funny names prancing about merrily, but theatre and cinema today need characters.

Jackson must have picked up on this, surely, but his attempt to create characters out of nothing, primarily using puzzling make-up and costumes and awkwardly delivered lines of little interest, was not successful. There's nothing funny in the way the Dwarves eat, dance, walk, and sing. There's nothing funny either in the way they interact with the Elves. Everything looks affected and is quite predictable in their rustic manners and poorly-instructed gruffness.

I did like the bits in Dol Guldur, though, but I would like to see the Forest Realm of Mirkwood treated under a different light, not that of a realm ruled by Thranduil portrayed in a way akin to a villain. Yes, it's a realm under siege. It is also hostile to Dwarves, granted, much like any Elven realm, bar Rivendell. And yes, the Elves are no angels; in fact, for anyone who's read the Silmarillion, they can be the bad guys in a story, more often than not. However, thranduil made me feel puzzled at the direction Jackson took with the character.

WINTER IS COMING

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

Post #: 19266
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 16/3/2014 1:15:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I agree with a lot of that. When I first saw the film I came out of the cinema massively disappointed, I even comments on the forum saying it's the first of Jackson's Middle Earth films I wouldn't give to marks too. Thinking about it more, there was just so much about the film I did like an awful lot that it made the poor sections stand out all the more.The deviations from the source don't bother me at all, but a lot of the time it didn't feel like a Middle Earth film, it even felt out of synch with An Unexpected Journey.

Much more better!

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 19267
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 27/4/2014 10:53:18 PM   
King_Bard

Their is life in here?

Post #: 19268
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 28/4/2014 12:03:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not really

Much more better!

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 19269
RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. - 1/7/2014 5:02:25 PM   
gazpop

it lives!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

Post #: 19270
Page:   <<   < prev  639 640 641 642 [643]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: LotR Rulz! ED not so much. Page: <<   < prev  639 640 641 642 [643]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI