Cushing & Lee

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Cushing & Lee Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cushing & Lee - 2/5/2007 7:53:52 PM   
evil bill

Ye old Lee  and Cushing classics from hammer just have too love them.

These are just a few of those wounderful movies that for me marked the greatest horror duo of them all,in acting that is.And even on there own they marked the best of HAMMER movies,all so gothic and fun with a few chills and some blood,but lots of color.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"
Post #: 1
RE: Cushing & Lee - 4/5/2007 1:07:10 PM   
Jonny 5 Eyes

Have to say I'm a huge fan...although some Hammer Horrors really are dreadful but usually in a good way. I'm particularly fond of Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires- Dracula + Chinese Vampires + Kung Fu + Peter Cushing...how can you go wrong?
(not casting Lee as Dracula was a shame but for top notch rubbish  you can't beat it!)

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 2
RE: Cushing & Lee - 4/5/2007 1:24:36 PM   
Harry Lime

I'm a big admirer of Peter Cushing. His career has somewhat been overwhelmed by Star Wars but his talents deserve far more respect and celebration. It's a shame that he passed away just before the late 90's horror revival began to kick in. His work would have gotten some much deserved reappraisal and maybe there could have been a last hurrah too.

However, my feelings are the exact opposite for Christopher Lee though, I'm afraid. An absolute ham of the highest order, he rode on Cushings coat-tails at the height of the Hammer studio's fame whilst his intoning theatrics and limited talent have been completely overlooked simply because of the cult value of some of the films he's been in and, more depressingly, because he appeared in the Star Wars prequels and Lord Of The Rings trilogy.... Even though his "performances" were typically interchangeable in both.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Jonny 5 Eyes)
Post #: 3
RE: Cushing & Lee - 4/5/2007 2:00:26 PM   
Jonny 5 Eyes

No one has been as great in as many bad films as Cushing. A hugely underrated and seemigly egoless actor.
His best performance was probably in the 1950s BBC prodution of 1984- which still looks great despite its obvious age.

I'm a huge fan of Lee as well, although I'd agree he's a very limited actor compared to Cushing.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 4
RE: Cushing & Lee - 4/5/2007 3:18:07 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

I'm a big admirer of Peter Cushing. His career has somewhat been overwhelmed by Star Wars but his talents deserve far more respect and celebration. It's a shame that he passed away just before the late 90's horror revival began to kick in. His work would have gotten some much deserved reappraisal and maybe there could have been a last hurrah too.

However, my feelings are the exact opposite for Christopher Lee though, I'm afraid. An absolute ham of the highest order, he rode on Cushings coat-tails at the height of the Hammer studio's fame whilst his intoning theatrics and limited talent have been completely overlooked simply because of the cult value of some of the films he's been in and, more depressingly, because he appeared in the Star Wars prequels and Lord Of The Rings trilogy.... Even though his "performances" were typically interchangeable in both.

Well put as usual Harry,and yes Peter Cushing out shone lee on every level,but i still loved Christopher Lee as Dracula and the other monsters he portrayed in those classic Hammer Horrors.And as for Star Wars he was excellent as Darth Vaders Governor,just oozed evil.Far better than Lees cardboard cutout in the prequels.And as Jonny5 has said no matter how low budget,Cushing made the movie work with first class acting and a presence on screen that seemed to shine.And still dose even after all these years,every time you watch Cushing in a Hammer movie.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 5
RE: Cushing & Lee - 7/5/2007 5:24:10 PM   
evil bill

The classic Hammer Horror by Terence Fisher(1958) with Cushing & Lee has been fully restored by British Film Institute/Swashbuckler Flims,and is being shown at the Cannes Film Festival.I loved this old movie so much i got the Hammer Box set with this and THE MUMMY& THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEN.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 6
RE: Cushing & Lee - 7/5/2007 10:46:10 PM   
TheSomnambulist

I have a great fondess for these two actors. Peter Cushing was maybe my favourite out of the two for he seemed to have a great sadness about him. I found that absorbing and I believe it helped his performances too. I kind of regard the two as almost a double act when Hammer was at it's peak and the Hammer films with these two in, are that much more engaging as a consequence.
It is because of them and Vincent Price that I fell in love with the Horror Genre.

"Well.... Here I am...."

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 7
RE: Cushing & Lee - 8/5/2007 6:50:53 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSomnambulist

I have a great fondess for these two actors. Peter Cushing was maybe my favourite out of the two for he seemed to have a great sadness about him. I found that absorbing and I believe it helped his performances too. I kind of regard the two as almost a double act when Hammer was at it's peak and the Hammer films with these two in, are that much more engaging as a consequence.
It is because of them and Vincent Price that I fell in love with the Horror Genre.

Here they are the guys that turned inocent little me into a big fan of the horror Gerne Lee,Price,Carradine,Cushing from HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS 1983 sadly only Lee is still with us.
Very found of Peter Cushing also,and his sadness came from the fact his Wife had died a a young age,which his family say he never got over.

(in reply to TheSomnambulist)
Post #: 8
RE: Cushing & Lee - 8/5/2007 8:45:21 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I'm a huge fan of Cushing, he had such class, whereas Lee well.... he's a bit of tosspot really.  Vincent Price was always my favourite though.  

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 9
RE: Cushing & Lee - 16/5/2007 12:30:17 PM   
TheSomnambulist

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSomnambulist

Here they are the guys that turned inocent little me into a big fan of the horror Gerne Lee,Price,Carradine,Cushing from HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS 1983 sadly only Lee is still with us.
Very found of Peter Cushing also,and his sadness came from the fact his Wife had died a a young age,which his family say he never got over.

Thanks Evil Bill for the photo. I knew about Cushing losing his wife. Funnily enough my dad found a biography of Cushing and bought it for me about two years ago. It goes into great length about his losing his wife [Helen]. I don't usually enjoy reading biographies as generally you learn something about a person that you don't really want to know, but I must say with Cushing it is a great read. The chapter about his wife's illness is very moving.

I used to go out with a girl who lived in Whitstable where Cushing lived and she often would take me for a walk along the seafront past his house. I never saw him and I was never that bothered, but it would have been nice to have maybe caught a glimpse of the gentle man of horror :D

"Well.... Here I am...."

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 10
RE: Cushing & Lee - 16/5/2007 3:43:33 PM   
paul.mccluskey

My favourite actor is Christopher Lee, but I think Peter Cushing is brilliant as well.  They always made their horror films enjoyable.

No one will ever be as good as Cushing's Frankenstein and Lee's Dracula, except probably Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to TheSomnambulist)
Post #: 11
RE: Cushing & Lee - 16/5/2007 4:29:45 PM   
Monkeyshaver

I'm a big fan of these two, although Cushing is the better actor. Not just a great horror actor but a great actor fullstop. He always brought 100% believability & humanity to his roles. He was excellent in Nigel Kneale's version of 1984 & made for an energetic Holmes in Hound Of The Baskervilles. I also remember him turning up in Morcambe & Wise asking when he was going to get paid! His biography is a great read, he was so devoted to his wife which I remember best when he was on Jim'll Fix It & had a new type of Rose named after her.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 12
RE: Cushing & Lee - 16/5/2007 4:38:54 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I remember those Morcambe and Wise sketches when they were on ITV4, Cushing was hilarious!  He should have done more comedy.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 13
RE: Cushing & Lee - 16/5/2007 6:59:11 PM   
Rhubarb

A great number of teenage nights i spent watching old Hammer Horror's with these two. I have alot of love for both of them.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 14
RE: Cushing & Lee - 16/5/2007 7:47:41 PM   
evil bill

Cushing had a great knack of not hamming up any roles he played even if the movie itself was full of ham actors.His part in STAR WARS A New Hope,was just Brilliant and chilling and as the  Evil Governor,even though he was only on screen for a short time.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 15
RE: Cushing & Lee - 16/5/2007 10:56:58 PM   
Kira

As a Hammer movie fan I love em both! Cushing is a legend and the better actor. He will always be THE Van Helsing for me.

His small screen appearances were also very memorable. Like in the original Avengers (
Return of the Cybernauts).

My favourite Christopher Lee roles are
Lord Summerisle in The Wicker Man and of course Dracula. As a kid I thought he really was Count Dracula

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 16
RE: Cushing & Lee - 17/5/2007 11:29:06 AM   
paul.mccluskey

Lord Summerisle was truly Lee's greatest performance.

My DVD Collection

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 17
RE: Cushing & Lee - 17/5/2007 6:03:07 PM   
jamesbondguy

I made a reference to Christoper Lee's Dracula in my English GCSE yesterday- had to sneak some film references in there somewhere, and that one really fitted the piece!

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 18
RE: Cushing & Lee - 17/5/2007 7:01:31 PM   
evil bill

Just loved Cushing as Van Hesling,and Lee as Lord Summerisle but they where great togetter also as in I Monster 1971 proved,though Peter is still by far the better actor.This movie of course is there play on the Mr Hyde tale.

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 19
RE: Cushing & Lee - 25/5/2007 6:38:06 PM   
evil bill

Good news for Dracula fans??????

It is to be released again round the cinemas after being well received at Cannes,and has had a number of scenes restored that where thought lost.One is the stake driven into the vampires chest with a gush of blood,another is blood ruining down the neck of one of his victims.These scenes where removed at the time because the censor though they where too graphic

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 20
RE: Cushing & Lee - 13/6/2007 8:27:57 PM   
evil bill

50 years old and the beginning of Hammers donation the horror genre.

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 21
RE: Cushing & Lee - 14/6/2007 8:03:14 AM   
Led Zeppelin

An almost forgotten Cushing/Lee movie is Horror Express, also feauring Tele Savalas is a small role towards the end.

This was not a Hammer Film but it's still an enjoyable romp. It's set in the early 19th century. Lee is an anthroplogist who transports a missing like type frozen fossil on the trans Siberian express from China across Russia. Cushing plays a doctor on board the train. Unknowlingly, the fossil has a weird alien life form lying dormant inside it and it comes back to life and wreaks havoc on the train, taking over the minds and bodies of those who get close to it.

Good little movie:

http://www.amazon.com/Horror-Express/dp/B0009JNI0G

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 22
RE: Cushing & Lee - 21/6/2007 7:57:56 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

It is to be released again round the cinemas after being well received at Cannes,and has had a number of scenes restored that where thought lost.One is the stake driven into the vampires chest with a gush of blood,another is blood ruining down the neck of one of his victims.These scenes where removed at the time because the censor though they where too graphic

Fantastic news,I'll go see this!

I love these movies,I grew up sneaking downstairs to watch them late night on TV. Cushing was the better actor but I think Lee was better then some here give him credit for. Take his monster in Curse Of Frankenstein,where despite loads of make-up and a script which gave him little to do and allowed for none of the pathos of Boris Karloff's monster,a little bit of sympathy comes through. Or how about his dashing hero in The Devil Rides Out? Or Scaramanga,one of 007's greatest adversarys despite a mediocre film.  He's somewhat pompous though,if you've heard any of his DVD commentaries!

One film they were in together I remember fondly from years back is The Creeping Flesh. Lee and Cushing are rival scientists fighting over a wierd fossil. I don't really rememeber the plot,but it had a really scary final 20 minutes where the fossil,which has a really freaky-looking face and is possibly the Devil [?],comes to life. I'd love to see that one again. I seem to remember Cushing grieves over his ex-wife who became evil too-wasn't this early 70s and made not long after Cushing's real wife died?

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 23
RE: Cushing & Lee - 23/6/2007 3:29:55 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

Fantastic news,I'll go see this!

I love these movies,I grew up sneaking downstairs to watch them late night on TV. Cushing was the better actor but I think Lee was better then some here give him credit for. Take his monster in Curse Of Frankenstein,where despite loads of make-up and a script which gave him little to do and allowed for none of the pathos of Boris Karloff's monster,a little bit of sympathy comes through. Or how about his dashing hero in The Devil Rides Out? Or Scaramanga,one of 007's greatest adversarys despite a mediocre film.  He's somewhat pompous though,if you've heard any of his DVD commentaries!

One film they were in together I remember fondly from years back is The Creeping Flesh. Lee and Cushing are rival scientists fighting over a wierd fossil. I don't really rememeber the plot,but it had a really scary final 20 minutes where the fossil,which has a really freaky-looking face and is possibly the Devil [?],comes to life. I'd love to see that one again. I seem to remember Cushing grieves over his ex-wife who became evil too-wasn't this early 70s and made not long after Cushing's real wife died?

1972 a brillant Cushing/Lee  horror movie,and yes his wife had passed away only the year before this movie was made.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 28/6/2007 7:44:55 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 24
RE: Cushing & Lee - 27/6/2007 8:07:42 PM   
paul.mccluskey

The Creeping Flesh was a good film.  Lee was on good form as the slimy half-brother, while you felt sorry for Cushing's character.

That twist... terrifying.  The Evil is still out there!

My DVD Collection

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 25
RE: Cushing & Lee - 28/6/2007 9:51:29 AM   
Jonny 5 Eyes

Although with my extreme pedants hat on...it wasn't a Hammer film.

Post #: 26
RE: Cushing & Lee - 28/6/2007 12:31:07 PM   
DazDaMan

My childhood was spent growing up watching the Hammer films, and the best Dracula film (in my opinion, anyway) was the 1958 version.  Deviated a shitload from the source material, but the ending was total kick-ass entertainment! 

I really want to get it on DVD....!!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Jonny 5 Eyes)
Post #: 27
RE: Cushing & Lee - 1/7/2007 7:02:37 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

My childhood was spent growing up watching the Hammer films, and the best Dracula film (in my opinion, anyway) was the 1958 version.  Deviated a shitload from the source material, but the ending was total kick-ass entertainment! 

I really want to get it on DVD....!!

You wo'nt have long to wait there's a restored/remastered DVD in the works,should be out October/November all being well.I grew up with those late night double bills on BBC1 on a friday night,Hammer and Corman just loved them and still do.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 28
RE: Cushing & Lee - 15/10/2007 6:43:22 PM   
evil bill

DRACULA will be on release at various Cineworld Cinemas around the UK,at the end of this month,it's the restored version i had mentioned a while back.So here'as a link to a list of screening's supplied by Spectre on Weird/Strange thread
http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/releases/films/dracula/cineworld.pdf

And then hopfully the remastered version will be on DVD.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Cushing & Lee Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI