Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boxing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Boxing Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boxing - 7/9/2008 10:00:03 AM   
Frank Castle

Lol what did i say as soon as he fought someone half decent we'll see how good he is. To be fair it shouldnt be the end of him he needs to go back and sort out his defence as hes not a bad puncher. Hes only 21. Prob the best thing to happen to him as know he wont be so cocky all the time now as he knows he's not invincible.
Was a weird choice of opponent as the guys knocked out now 18 of his 20 opponents he's fought?
I bet warren was fed up with khan talking about world titles so soon and wanted to see how good he really was.
Anyone else think its good justice that its his 1st box office fight?

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 151
RE: Boxing - 7/9/2008 1:50:26 PM   
Frank Castle

Not sure why but he wasnt talking about fighting for a world title much after this??

Say that now he says he's gonna win a world title within a year!!

< Message edited by Frank Castle -- 7/9/2008 10:50:57 PM >

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 152
RE: Boxing - 8/9/2008 12:48:31 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've only seen the fight online but he got fucking HAMMERED - shit I don't know how someone can recover from a defeat like that, it was one of those moments that will stay with a fighter forever.

People can say Frank Warren was feeding him easy fights to build his bank balance, but maybe Warren was just playing the smart businessman knowing full well how good Khan really was. Still maybe it wasn't the best idea to set him up with a raging big hitter from the Colombian slums!

Post #: 153
RE: Boxing - 8/9/2008 8:07:20 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

From what I saw of it (about 120 seconds i.e. the entire fight ) there was a couple of things that struck me. Khan's ego had gone a wee bit over the top and maybe he was starting to believe his own hype (can't blame him from the build up and Sky's involvement). Also whilst it was a great combination it did catch him a bit cold, however it was positive to hear him talk about it being a kick up the backside and how it's back to basics, that won't do him any harm at all. The big test is how he reacts the next time he is hurt, be it the next fight or whatever.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 154
RE: Boxing - 8/9/2008 11:58:53 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

That's the one consolation he can take from the fight - the fact that he was caught cold and was possibly a bit unlucky (although some would say he left himself open). Like you said we are now going to have to see how he reacts in the future although I don't hold out much hope for him personally.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 155
RE: Boxing - 9/9/2008 9:26:55 AM   
tftrman

The fact is his defence needs tightening up. A lot. Any time he gets hit on the chin he wobbles. Amir "The Glass Jaw" Khan.

Post #: 156
RE: Boxing - 9/9/2008 10:55:26 AM   
Rinc

I missed this but had plenty of time to watch it afterwards. Didn't even have to watch any highlights! Real shame for Khan to get such a beating even if he says it's a kick up the backside. The big difference with this is that it was such a hammering. For a guy that was being talked up as a possible world champion to get knocked out in a minute is devastating. I hope he rebuilds his career but this has set him back a year and probably even more psychologically.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 157
RE: Boxing - 13/9/2008 4:42:25 PM   
JamesMcManus1

I heard a story that a widely respected trainer in America phoned Frank Warren nearly 2 months ago asking what the hell he was doing putting him in with a banger and brawler like Prescott, calling it madness, basically saying that putting him in with such a powerful puncher at this stage of his career could be the end of him. He wasn't picked out by Warren anyway but was recommended by his Cuban trainer - guess he won't have a job anymore.

He is talented, no doubting that but his lack of experience is painfully obvious when he goes rushing out like he did and was just madness. Any fighter will tell you that you can be caught cold in the first round no matter how good a fighter you are, you simply never saw modern greats like Roy Jones Jnr, Bernard Hopkins or Mayweather do this.

He's got a glass jaw and no defence to speak of....he's got a good punch on him no doubt about that and if he works with an established trainer, like Mayweather Snr who actually offered himself, he should be fine....but i'm just afraid he's not as good as everyone thinks he, sky and the rest of the media seem to want him to be.

< Message edited by JamesMcManus1 -- 13/9/2008 4:44:29 PM >

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 158
RE: Boxing - 13/9/2008 6:37:58 PM   
Jasiri

Looks like Khan can be added to that long line of bangers with dodgy whiskers,makes for exciting fights,Paul 'Scrap Iron' Ryan anyone but do they ever get to the very top ? Can't really think of any.

(in reply to JamesMcManus1)
Post #: 159
RE: Boxing - 9/10/2008 11:31:46 AM   
Beno

Its being reported that my all time favourite fighter Evander Holyfield is getting yet another chance to win a version of the Heavyweight title . Hes agreed to fight Nicolay Valuev the 7 foot WBA Champ . Holyfield will be 46 soon and will probably be seen as an easy fight  for the Champ . I hope this is on TV cos i would love to see him try to do it again . Even though Valuev is a monster a good Holyfield could outbox him .

< Message edited by Beno -- 9/10/2008 11:41:22 AM >

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 160
RE: Boxing - 9/10/2008 11:43:24 AM   
Beno

Valuev on the left .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 161
RE: Boxing - 13/10/2008 1:02:21 PM   
Beno

Well Clinton Woods said that the next guy to fight Tarver would beat him cos he himself should have but was flat . Tarver looked a shadow of himself and should retire . Well done to Klitchko for making it a Heavyweight double for him and his Brother . David Hayes quest just got harder .

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 162
RE: Boxing - 15/10/2008 12:40:47 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Its being reported that my all time favourite fighter Evander Holyfield is getting yet another chance to win a version of the Heavyweight title . Hes agreed to fight Nicolay Valuev the 7 foot WBA Champ . Holyfield will be 46 soon and will probably be seen as an easy fight  for the Champ . I hope this is on TV cos i would love to see him try to do it again . Even though Valuev is a monster a good Holyfield could outbox him .

Valuev will most probably kill him, quite literally. I'm sorry but Holyfield is 10years past good.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 163
RE: Boxing - 15/10/2008 2:34:44 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Valuev will most probably kill him, quite literally. I'm sorry but Holyfield is 10years past good.

I have only seen Valuev once - highlights of his bout with Ruiz - and i wasnt that impressed . He was there to be hit and lacked some basics . Having said this Holyfield would still have to raise his own game based on his last few performances .
A pointer to how this muted bout could go is the recent Peter v Klitchko fight . Samuel Peter is not the fastest Heavyweight and seemed happy to just jab away at Klitchkos chest . Vitali Klitchko was accurate with hooks , jabs , uppercuts and everything else to Peters head . This is exactly how Valuev v Holyfield should pan out ... but there are 2 major differences ... Holyfield is no Peter and Valuev is definately no Klitchko .
Valuev is a freak living on borrowed time . Sure Holyfield is 46 and past his best but im sure he can take advantage of Valuevs lack of ability and employ all his experience and knowhow and come out on top .

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 164
RE: Boxing - 15/10/2008 3:29:04 PM   
Jasiri

Valuev's people saying this fight isnt on and he isnt interested,doesn't want to be remembered for blasting out an old Holyfield.You never know though,could well be a  little tester.Leak a story and see if there is interest.I wish Holyfield would just go away before he gets himself seriously hurt,not good for him and not good for boxing.

quote:

A pointer to how this muted bout could go is the recent Peter v Klitchko fight . Samuel Peter is not the fastest Heavyweight and seemed happy to just jab away at Klitchkos chest . Vitali Klitchko was accurate with hooks , jabs , uppercuts and everything else to Peters head .

What a poor fight this was,boxing thriving in pretty much all weight division but heavyweight division is just a disaster.Enjoyed the light heavy title fight at the weekend Antonio Tarver losing his belt to Chad Dawson.Tarver looks done,Bad Chad fought a smart fight against an older fighter,Tarver arm and leg weary by half way through and Dawson just dominated.Some decent looking fights coming up Kelly Pavlik-Bernard Hopkins,Jermain Taylor-Jeff Lacey and 1st November what should be an absolute cracker super flyweight 3 title unification Cristian Mijares-Vic Darchinyan.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 165
RE: Boxing - 16/10/2008 1:28:03 PM   
Beno

I hope Pavlik retires Hopkins for good .

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 166
RE: Boxing - 17/10/2008 10:09:15 AM   
Jasiri

Yeah I'm getting kind of tired of B-Hop too although he such a cagey and experienced fighter that he still offers a tough test for anyone,if he could only keep his mouth shut.That's partly what I like about Pavlik just a good old fashioned pro,doesn't talk shit about people,turns up well prepared and does his business in the ring.Nothing fancy,very solid basics backed by a good heart as showed in the first Jermaine Taylor fight where he was totally out and came back to stop him.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 167
RE: Boxing - 21/10/2008 10:23:54 AM   
Beno

Jeeez , Hopkins does an impersonation of himself 20 years ago with touches of Roy Jones Jr in rounds 7 and 12 to win every round against Kelly Pavlik .... whoda thunk it !!

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 168
RE: Boxing - 23/10/2008 7:25:04 PM   
Jasiri

Yeah The Executioner destroyed The Ghost.Huge admiration for B-Hop that was a boxing masterclass.Exposed Pavlik's limitations from the first bell and schooled him,was a little worried for Hopkins around the middle rounds that he was going to fade but even when his legs slowed he still managed to keep Pavlik turning and pop him with clean shots.Only thing Pavlik can look to is he was fighting 2 weight divisions above normal but it did show up the limitations of his straightforward 1-2 style when he cant just dominate an opponent physically.
B-Hop - Roy Jones Jr II? I can see this happening now regardless of the result of  the Jones Jr - Calzaghe fight in a couple of weeks,thats the money fight.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 169
RE: Boxing - 4/11/2008 8:33:23 AM   
Jasiri

Nobody else see the Cristian Mijares-Vic Darchinyan 115lbs unification fight at the weekend? Classic boxer v puncher matchup but Mijares never got going,dropped in the 1st,seemed to be coming on a bit in the middle rounds when he started to work his combinations but then got stopped by a big left hand in the 9th.Surprised me I like Mijares and thought would be to slick for Darchinyan.One bit of great news from that show,Israel Vazquez was interviewed between rounds and said he's up for a 4th fight with Rafael Marquez,possibly March,April next year.The two fights last year were incredible the 2nd being my fight of the year and the 3rd earlier this year in the running for this year's fight of the year.Anybody who didn't see these fights really should get looking on the boxing forums and see if there are download links still working,unmissible.

Also just watched the Marco Antonio Rubio-Enrique Ornales fight from the Hopkins-Pavlik undercard,good fight,well matched fighters and 12 solid rounds of action.I had it a draw but lot of close rounds.Rubio got the decision and is now mandatory challenger for Pavlik's middleweight title if he's going to come back down.Dont think I've seen Rubio before,decent but nothing special and lack of movement means he looks tailor made for Pavlik to come back and blow away.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 170
RE: Boxing - 7/11/2008 10:22:35 AM   
Beno

On the eve of Calzaghe v Jones Jr im getting a tad worried for Joes prospects . Roy is looking sharp in training but then so he should i suppose .
I just hope the pair of them can turn the clock back and deliver a classic battle , with a Welsh victor of course .

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 171
RE: Boxing - 7/11/2008 11:27:38 AM   
Jasiri

I've been dismissing Jones as being shot for years and he's come through before.Dont think he's faced anyone at Calzaghe's level for some years,although other way round Calzaghe's never faced anyone quite like Jones.At one time Jones was superman and even though it is foolish to dismiss him I cant see him pulling this one off,love to be wrong though  I've never warmed to Calzaghe,one of the few fighters I could say I don't like.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 172
RE: Boxing - 7/11/2008 11:59:02 AM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

I've been dismissing Jones as being shot for years and he's come through before.Dont think he's faced anyone at Calzaghe's level for some years,although other way round Calzaghe's never faced anyone quite like Jones.At one time Jones was superman and even though it is foolish to dismiss him I cant see him pulling this one off,love to be wrong though  I've never warmed to Calzaghe,one of the few fighters I could say I don't like.

You are not alone in your dislike of Joe , but i dont get fans dislike of him . Just look how long he has been Champ . I never got the naysayers who said he hadnt faced decent opposition either . Sure bigger names took a while to come but its not Joes fault he isnt American .
Being from Sheffield and watching for years the Brendan Ingle fighters like Bomber Graham , Johnny Nelson and Naz im bound to like Calzaghes style which is a similar hit and not get hit policy .

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 173
RE: Boxing - 7/11/2008 3:45:22 PM   
Jasiri

Not so much his style other than his tendancy to slap.I appreciate all styles and at it's purest level boxing should be the art of hitting without being hit.Loved Herol 'Bomber' Graham although funny you should mention him but Nelson is another fighter I dislike. I've never been convinced Calzaghe was a great and although I have question marks and doubts,I cant argue with his record and when he's fought good fighters he's raised his game and beaten them.Just a personality thing with him and Nelson or perhaps that should rather be their public persona I dont click with,but still I have huge admiration for anyone who has the courage to lace on the gloves and climb through the ropes.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 174
RE: Boxing - 7/11/2008 8:54:13 PM   
Goodfella

Do any of you guys box, amateurally or semi-professionally? My cousin used to be youth Essex champion but stopped boxing a few years back, he chose football over it as I think he was tired of all the dietary aspects and also his mum hated the way it made his face look!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 175
RE: Boxing - 9/11/2008 7:40:41 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Do any of you guys box, amateurally or semi-professionally? My cousin used to be youth Essex champion but stopped boxing a few years back, he chose football over it as I think he was tired of all the dietary aspects and also his mum hated the way it made his face look!

I get the feeling Jasiri has or does . I went to a local Gym as a Boy twice with the intention of learning the fine art but then i discovered i didnt like the pain and that Girls were a far more attractive option .
Well done Joe . Not watched the fight yet , had to Sky+ it cos my days of staying up for fights have gone .

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 176
RE: Boxing - 10/11/2008 9:43:21 AM   
Jasiri

Im a bit long in the tooth for boxing now,I'm about a year younger than Roy Jones. My mates dad used to train amateur boxers,so when we were kids a few of us used to go along.Was tough but great fun,I never had the inclination to take it further than just hanging around the gym though.Went for a few years but when hit early teens just started drifting away from going.My son talked about wanting to go to boxing but hypocrite that I am,I wasn't keen.There's no way Mrs J would let him so I put  all the blame on her,I'd let you go but you know mum said no.Lucky for me she's so sweet,never let on just had a wee laugh with a mock shock look on her face when I said it,gave me a bloody sore dead arm later though.

Calzaghe-Jones went pretty much the way I though it would although cant help thinking that if Jones had threw caution to the wind he might have stopped him in the first couple of rounds.Though Jones held his own early but longer it went he faded and Calzaghe just kept throwing flurries.I had it closer than the judges,because I thought Jones nicked a couple of the middle rounds,where he was landing clean shots,Calzaghe was out working him greatly still but from what I could see Jones was catching almost everything with his gloves,arms and elbows.Calzaghe a clear winner though,only question now does he retire or hang on for a potentially very tough fight with Chad Dawson.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 177
RE: Boxing - 10/11/2008 7:35:44 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

Im a bit long in the tooth for boxing now,I'm about a year younger than Roy Jones. My mates dad used to train amateur boxers,so when we were kids a few of us used to go along.Was tough but great fun,I never had the inclination to take it further than just hanging around the gym though.Went for a few years but when hit early teens just started drifting away from going.My son talked about wanting to go to boxing but hypocrite that I am,I wasn't keen.There's no way Mrs J would let him so I put  all the blame on her,I'd let you go but you know mum said no.Lucky for me she's so sweet,never let on just had a wee laugh with a mock shock look on her face when I said it,gave me a bloody sore dead arm later though.

Calzaghe-Jones went pretty much the way I though it would although cant help thinking that if Jones had threw caution to the wind he might have stopped him in the first couple of rounds.Though Jones held his own early but longer it went he faded and Calzaghe just kept throwing flurries.I had it closer than the judges,because I thought Jones nicked a couple of the middle rounds,where he was landing clean shots,Calzaghe was out working him greatly still but from what I could see Jones was catching almost everything with his gloves,arms and elbows.Calzaghe a clear winner though,only question now does he retire or hang on for a potentially very tough fight with Chad Dawson.

I toyed with the idea of boxing for a while. I follow the sport sporadically, usually Calzaghe and Hatton (I'm not a Khan fan, big boots if you ask me), but to be honest, I have small fists. My cousin does too but he's a quick mover and has strong forearms, he's also quite wirey and seems easier to knock down than he actually is.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 178
RE: Boxing - 11/11/2008 9:29:27 AM   
Beno

Is it me ..or.. wouldnt this fight have been stopped in this country with a cut like that .

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 179
RE: Boxing - 11/11/2008 12:14:12 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

Is it me ..or.. wouldnt this fight have been stopped in this country with a cut like that .

On the undercard a guy got cut worse then that and they carried on so they wernt gonna stop the fight for that.
But id imagine it would have (well the commentator kept telling us it would anyway??), to be fair the fight was over as soon as it happened. to me jones
battered calzaghe for the firstt2 rounds, joe was throwing pansy punches and hitting but jones was conecting with some great shots with power behind them. The scores were a joke at the end it was alot closer then that.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Boxing Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI