Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boxing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Boxing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boxing - 9/8/2007 3:34:55 PM   
King_Wah

This my friend is a knock_out

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 31
Hatton/Mayweather - 21/9/2007 3:08:10 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Wah

Great punch but the celebration was a little OTT wasn' it?

So, Hatton and Mayweather have been doing their stuff for the press this week and Mayweather has been doing my bloody head in. I'm in two minds as to whether it's all staged or not but either way it's ridiculous, just hope Hatton wipes the floor with him.

Looking forward to the fight, I've taken the night off work, going to the pub with a few mates to watch it.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 32
RE: Hatton/Mayweather - 21/9/2007 3:15:19 PM   
theram05

Love Ricky, hope he puts Hatton on his wee lil arse early and often.

Anyone see the pictures of De La Hoya doing the rounds?

Pretty........

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 33
RE: Hatton/Mayweather - 21/9/2007 6:53:11 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Eh?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 34
RE: Hatton/Mayweather - 22/9/2007 12:29:08 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Eh?

lol

Obviously I meant puts floyd on his arse

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 35
RE: Hatton/Mayweather - 22/9/2007 1:04:00 AM   
brightlight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

So, Hatton and Mayweather have been doing their stuff for the press this week and Mayweather has been doing my bloody head in. I'm in two minds as to whether it's all staged or not but either way it's ridiculous, just hope Hatton wipes the floor with him.

Looking forward to the fight, I've taken the night off work, going to the pub with a few mates to watch it.....

That's some proper planning ahead - do you work in a prison, or something?

Post #: 36
RE: Hatton/Mayweather - 22/9/2007 1:55:54 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: brightlight

quote:

quote:

That's some proper planning ahead - do you work in a prison, or something?

Not really, it's only 3 months away. If I know I'm attending a wedding/friends birthday I'll check ahead to see if I'm supposed to be at work or not as I work shifts.

I wish I did work in a Prison though, I wouldn't have to take the night off then, I could just watch it in one of the lags cells, they get sky dont they?

(in reply to brightlight)
Post #: 37
NEW WORLD CHAMP! - 7/10/2007 2:08:45 AM   
boaby

Aberdonian Lee McAllister became the WBU Lightweight World Champion this evening after stopping Craig Docherty of Glasgow in the 9th Round.

McAllister completed his amazing comeback in front of a sold-out Beach Ballroom in Aberdeen.

A few years ago Lee suffered a horrendous motorbike accident in Crete that left him with one leg twisted in the oppsite direction and needing 100stitches. He also suffered a broken jaw and cheek bone in the crash. He was given 50/50 odds of walking again.

After opening a cut on Docherty's face, "the Aberdeen Assassin" forced the referee to stop the bout in the 9th. This defeat leaves Docherty pondering his future sfter considering quitting following his previous loss to Edinburgh fighter Alex Arthur.

If this post reads like a report, it's supposed to. If you looked on the BBC sport site you would be unaware that Scotland has a new World Champ. No build up, no report, nothing.

Of course there's plenty on Amir Khan winning his latest money-making exercise.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 38
RE: NEW WORLD CHAMP! - 7/10/2007 3:54:54 AM   
LB Jeffries

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Aberdonian Lee McAllister became the WBU Lightweight World Champion this evening after stopping Craig Docherty of Glasgow in the 9th Round.

McAllister completed his amazing comeback in front of a sold-out Beach Ballroom in Aberdeen.

A few years ago Lee suffered a horrendous motorbike accident in Crete that left him with one leg twisted in the oppsite direction and needing 100stitches. He also suffered a broken jaw and cheek bone in the crash. He was given 50/50 odds of walking again.

After opening a cut on Docherty's face, "the Aberdeen Assassin" forced the referee to stop the bout in the 9th. This defeat leaves Docherty pondering his future sfter considering quitting following his previous loss to Edinburgh fighter Alex Arthur.

If this post reads like a report, it's supposed to. If you looked on the BBC sport site you would be unaware that Scotland has a new World Champ. No build up, no report, nothing.

Of course there's plenty on Amir Khan winning his latest money-making exercise.

Why would there be a big build-up to the fight? The WBU is a joke. Well done to Lee for his miraculous comeback and great performance but let's not make out it was Ali/Frazier. Although, I would have expected some sort of report about it by now. Tha'll be that BBC anti-Scottish bias!
You're comment about Khan is a bit harsh but I get where you're coming from in terms of building him up to be something he's not, yet.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 39
RE: NEW WORLD CHAMP! - 7/10/2007 4:46:23 AM   
boaby

Hatton's first stab at a World title was important enough for the beeb to cover and preview:

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=all&edition=d&q=hatton+pep

Obviously this title is lower down the pecking order than most, however, it's still a WT and Lee is a Brit - same as Hatton.

I don't think there's a bias at the beeb, just think they could and should be covering more.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 40
RE: Boxing - 13/11/2007 3:55:52 PM   
dh_19

Anyone watch the finale of The Contender? It's repeated on friday i think. If you're a fan of technical boxing then i'd avoid it, if you like a good slugfest then i suggest you watch...

< Message edited by dh_19 -- 13/11/2007 3:56:18 PM >

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 41
RE: Boxing - 13/11/2007 7:29:49 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

So, who thinks Haye could make it in the heavyweight division?

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 42
RE: Boxing - 16/11/2007 12:35:46 PM   
Beno

quote:

So, who thinks Haye could make it in the heavyweight division?

Says he is not 100% at Cruiser. but being a top Heavyweight?? He will still have the same chin at Heavy. and those guys hit harder . He went down in his last fight and was stopped a while back by a 40 year old Carl Thompson so i dont think he will make it......hope im wrong though cos the Heavyweight division needs sorting out and it would be great if a Brit. did it .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 43
RE: Boxing - 22/1/2008 12:43:37 PM   
Beno

Great to see Roy Jones can still do it at 39 although i feel Calzaghe would outpoint or stop him late on if they fight , shame the thing didnt happen years ago when they were both at there peak .
So Hatton is going to rumble with De La Hoya . This could be as hard a fight for the Hitman as Mayweather was , although bodyshots could be the key for Ricky .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 44
RE: Boxing - 6/4/2008 8:38:55 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Just thought i'd bump this thread to talk about the fights last night.

Khan was impressive again last night against Kristjansen who was no mug. 
In fact I think he can consider himself hard done to that he didn't make at least the 8th round after the bell didn't seem to come in to save him before Micky Vann jumped in.  Anyway he certainly deserves his shot for the title later on this year after his has taken on one more fight possibly Romanov.

The fight of the night was Derry Mathews against Choi Tseveenpurev. It was like watching a Rocky fight apart from Mathews couldn't quite get back on top to claim a win. Not one for the purists but a great fight none the less.

Just hope Hopkins teaches Calzaghe a lesson in a fortnight.  Personally I think Calzaghe has dodged him just long enough for him to have the upper hand but we can always hope that Hopkins rolls back the years.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 45
RE: Boxing - 6/4/2008 1:48:32 PM   
JJ Holiday

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Just hope Hopkins teaches Calzaghe a lesson in a fortnight.  Personally I think Calzaghe has dodged him just long enough for him to have the upper hand but we can always hope that Hopkins rolls back the years.

I thought that it was Hopkins who had been dodging Calzaghe? Or have I got it completley wrong!

"Stay frosty"

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 46
RE: Boxing - 6/4/2008 8:52:47 PM   
BobaJango

In my eyes Calzaghe hasn't been dodging anyone. People said that about Lacy and look what happened there. Kessler was/is a bit of a legend as well.
Joe has basically cleaned out his division in every way and so has to step up. Hopkins can make as many immature comments as he likes but he's going to get his already beaten ass handed to him on a Welsh plate.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to JJ Holiday)
Post #: 47
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 10:38:21 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

In my eyes Calzaghe hasn't been dodging anyone. People said that about Lacy and look what happened there. Kessler was/is a bit of a legend as well.
Joe has basically cleaned out his division in every way and so has to step up. Hopkins can make as many immature comments as he likes but he's going to get his already beaten ass handed to him on a Welsh plate.

This would be the man who fought the winner of the contender?
Why is this his first fight in the States? Why is he fighting Hopkins now rather than 4 years ago? What about Jones Jr?
Kessler aside where are the real champions, the great fighters on his list.  There aren't any since taking the title of the mentally damaged Eubank.
Where is are the great names? 
Look at a true modern great De La Hoye's battle history. Its a who's who of great fighters Julio Cesar Chavez, Ruelas, Trinidad, Gatti, Mosley, Pernell Whittaker, Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather. Where as Calzaghe is a list of no ones and never will be's.

He is a good fighter but unlike Enzo he has ducked the big fights at difficult times. Still a great British champion but even if he beats Hopkins now it proves nothing. He isn't a world great and he never will be. He is fighting the cream at least 4 years too late.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 7/4/2008 10:41:32 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 48
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 10:55:12 AM   
Beno

There is no way on Earth Hopkins will beat Calzaghe , i will even make a confident prediction that old Bernard will quit on his stool sometime between 6th and 9th rounds .
As for the names Calzaghes beaten well its not his fault theres nobody around . I recall Joe demanding fights with Jones Jr and Hopkins ages ago . But Joe has only been deemed "box office" by Americans in the last couple of years .
As for De La Hoya , he beat a faded Chavez , couldnt cut it at the higher weight and lost to Mayweather - although to be honest i scored that fight a one point win to De La Hoya - .
How long is Joe unbeaten Bob ? I call that alone great .

< Message edited by Beno -- 7/4/2008 10:56:46 AM >

Post #: 49
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 11:03:05 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

There is no way on Earth Hopkins will beat Calzaghe , i will even make a confident prediction that old Bernard will quit on his stool sometime between 6th and 9th rounds .
As for the names Calzaghes beaten well its not his fault theres nobody around . I recall Joe demanding fights with Jones Jr and Hopkins ages ago . But Joe has only been deemed "box office" by Americans in the last couple of years .
As for De La Hoya , he beat a faded Chavez , couldnt cut it at the higher weight and lost to Mayweather - although to be honest i scored that fight a one point win to De La Hoya - .
How long is Joe unbeaten Bob ? I call that alone great .

But he hasn't fought anyone who would test him. 
He could of gone over to the states and built up his reputation if he has wanted to.  But he didn't he wanted to fight out of his home city as often as possible and pick off the easy wins. 
Come on Beno fighting the winner of a reality TV show isn't going to really help your cause in the states is it?

Onto your Golden Boy comment you say he hasn't cut it and then say you had him beating Pretty Boy who is the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 50
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 11:24:39 AM   
Beno

I never said Oscar wasnt great , i was just telling you a couple of shortcomings . But i do consider Calzaghe a bigger great than Oscar in some respects .

Post #: 51
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 11:27:35 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

I never said Oscar wasnt great , i was just telling you a couple of shortcomings . But i do consider Calzaghe a bigger great than Oscar in some respects .

Then we aren't going to agree. Calzaghe isn't fit to lace Oscars gloves and has never fought anyone who is at the top of their game in world eyes.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 7/4/2008 11:28:31 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 52
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 11:54:29 AM   
BigBadWolf

There's also the fact that Oscar won his first world title at super featherweight, and won further world titles at light-weight, light welter, welter, light middle and middle.  He has always challenged himself by lookingto fight the best.  And moving up that high from super feather was never going to be easy.

For years we heard how Joe struggled to make the super-middle limit, but he never stepped up.  I think Joe is a decent fighter, but it's only now his career is coming to an end that he's had the fights to make people sit up and take notice.  It's too little, too late really.  Which is a shame really, but it would have been good to see him really test himself.

Yes, America is where the money is, and the way to get yourself over there, is to go there and fight.

< Message edited by BigBadWolf -- 7/4/2008 11:56:15 AM >

Post #: 53
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 12:06:43 PM   
Beno

Joe has fought and beat Eubank , Brewer , Reid , Lacy and Kessler all World class . Oscar lost twice to Mosley , lost to Trinidad , lost to Hopkins and lost to Mayweather . My only gripe Bob is that you dont seem to rate Calzaghe .

Post #: 54
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 12:11:32 PM   
BigBadWolf

quote:

Joe has fought and beat Eubank , Brewer , Reid , Lacy and Kessler all World class . Oscar lost twice to Mosley , lost to Trinidad , lost to Hopkins and lost to Mayweather . My only gripe Bob is that you dont seem to rate Calzaghe .

Robin Reid, c'mon there's some decent fighters there, but to call Reid world class is stretching things far beyond reality.  It would have been nice to see Joe step up in weight a long time ago and really go for it at light-heavey.  I think he's a good fighter but should have tested himself outside his weight division.

Eubank was good, but I don't think he was ever world class either, good fighter and showman, but not world class.

< Message edited by BigBadWolf -- 7/4/2008 12:12:03 PM >

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 55
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 12:47:53 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

quote:

Robin Reid, c'mon there's some decent fighters there, but to call Reid world class is stretching things far beyond reality.  It would have been nice to see Joe step up in weight a long time ago and really go for it at light-heavey.  I think he's a good fighter but should have tested himself outside his weight division.

Eubank was good, but I don't think he was ever world class either, good fighter and showman, but not world class.

Reid and Eubank are both former World Champions so i guess that means they are world class .

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 56
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 12:51:42 PM   
BigBadWolf

That's a bit simplistic though.  Frank Bruno is a former world champion too, and as much as I enjoyed seeing him winning the world title, he was never in a million years world class.  A world title doesn't make somebody world class.  Just look at the current heavyweight divison!

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 57
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 1:03:52 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

That's a bit simplistic though.  Frank Bruno is a former world champion too, and as much as I enjoyed seeing him winning the world title, he was never in a million years world class.  A world title doesn't make somebody world class.  Just look at the current heavyweight divison!

Thats like saying Asdas own brand crisps are not crisps cos Walkers are the best . Of course Bruno was world class , a peak Bruno would probably beat most of todays "top" heavies . Sorry bout the "crisp" thing but you get what i mean .

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 58
RE: Boxing - 7/4/2008 1:08:32 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Just thought i'd bump this thread to talk about the fights last night.

Khan was impressive again last night against Kristjansen who was no mug. 
In fact I think he can consider himself hard done to that he didn't make at least the 8th round after the bell didn't seem to come in to save him before Micky Vann jumped in.  Anyway he certainly deserves his shot for the title later on this year after his has taken on one more fight possibly Romanov.

Only criticisms of Khan could be he's still too open to right hands and too rushed when has his opponent hurt,needs to learn to keep his head and pick shots.Other than that though he did a solid job,his speed and power would give him a chance against anyone in the division.Things looked pretty well defined at 135lbs over who was the top man but with Nate Campbell's big upset win against the Baby Bull and Joel Casamayor slightly less surprising win over Michael Katsidis it's blown it wide open.Add to that Manny Pacquiao is coming up to fight David Diaz in June,I thought he narrowly lost the rematch with J.M. Marquez but despite my suspicions that he was beginning to look slightly jaded he looked like an absolute monster again in that fight so I think there's a very real prospect of Pac Man tearing through most fighters at 135lbs.
I'm not sure how Khan would fare against the top fighters but he's probably as ready as he ever will be to make that step up and he seems desperate to be let go,doen't look like he'll get the title shot next fight but rather than playing careful I hope they get him in with a top 10-15 fighter that can test him.

Think Calzaghe will beat Hopkins just because he will outwork him but see it being a stinker and another 'so what' fight for Calzaghe.For whatever reason Calzaghe has never had a career defining fight,in terms of numbers his record is impressive,you have to respect his professionalism but he's a long way from being a great in my eyes.Far more interesting is the fight the week before Calzaghe-Hopkins with the rematch between Kermit Cintron and Tony Margarito.

quote:

Reid and Eubank are both former World Champions so i guess that means they are world class .

Eubank at his best certainly a world class fighter,Reid never in a million years.

Post #: 59
RE: Boxing - 10/4/2008 9:21:52 AM   
Beno

Just want to wish Clinton Woods all the best for Saturday night . Met him a couple of times , once when he was with his Mother in Crystal Peaks shopping centre in Sheffield where he was just shopping but gave loads of time to a select few who knew who he was . A down to earth Sheffield lad . KO Tarver Son .

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Boxing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI