Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BOXING!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: BOXING! Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BOXING! - 9/5/2012 11:38:13 AM   
Beno

The Board of Control are meeting today i think re. this and then normality will be restored.
I cant belive the utter ignorance of everyone involved in organising this bout. Many have gone way down in my estimations.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 541
RE: BOXING! - 9/5/2012 2:52:53 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer
You mean two fighters who are unbeaten havent earned a shot at Chisora (who has already been beaten by Fury) or Haye who has been an embarassment at heavyweight and then quit after losing due to a sore toe.

Fury beat an under motivated and out of shape Chisora and since that bout who's fought at the higher level?
Fury with Nicolai Firtha and Neven Pajkic or Chisora; with Robert Helenius and VK.

Fury hasn't moved on and is happy fighting Euro nobodies, as proven with turning down the Price fight to meet Rogen he's found a level and doesn't want to move towards European level.

quote:

Fury for all of his faults, has at least been active. Price also.

I'd agree that Fury has been reasonably busy against Eurobums but you can't say Price is a busy fighter. 12 fights since turning pro, 2 in the last 12 months. He's been woefully inactive, which is why he should be looking long and hard at his promoter especially given his age. Looking forward to Sexton though, that's a good fight which with show his level, I think he'll fly through it personally and I don't buy the no chin claim.

quote:

Chisora has lost 3 of his last 4 and you think he should be higher up the pecking order than P or F? Crazy!

Yup because 2 of those defeats were against fighters supposedly at world level. P or F haven't fought anyone at that level yet, and I'd go so far to say even decent European level. John McDermott, Rogan, and Dallas good domestic fights, but it hardly a high standard.

quote:

This fight should never be taking place and anyone who supports it is an hypocrite in my eyes. Fans bleat on about corruption and poor decisions. This fight is only taking place due to the money men greasing the right palms and the Luxembourg boxing council being as easy as a girl from Liverpool/ Manchester/ Newcastle/ Essex (please delete as appropriate).

To me it seems people don't mind corruption if it makes interesting fights.

You see we have all this fuss about a scuffle, and the punishments from the BBBC was draconian. Indefinite suspension?
You either ban someone or your don't. I've seen Tyson pre fights where we've had scuffles worse with no action taken.
The BBBC wanted a bit of the attention and got it, if they had given him a ban it would have been clear cut and this fight couldn't have happened.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 9/5/2012 2:53:33 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 542
RE: BOXING! - 9/5/2012 9:22:57 PM   
boaby

Heavyweight boxing is a joke these days.

Last title fight that was as billed was Lewis Klitschko.

These days I much prefer watching lads like Kell Brook and the ginger Mexican lad.

Boxing in general is p!ssing me off. To quote Axl Rose: "Get in the Ring". Even the ring entrances seem designed to put off fighting for as long as possible. Who enjoys light shows, slow marches and such drivel. It's not wrestling.

Even my interest in a Pacquiao Mayweather fight has faded. Either fight, or don't. Quit fannying about.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 543
RE: BOXING! - 10/5/2012 6:20:48 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Looks like Kahn v Peterson is off, heard news off Peterson probably being stripped of the title. Not a great week for boxing.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 10/5/2012 6:21:15 AM >

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 544
RE: BOXING! - 27/5/2012 1:09:50 AM   
boaby

Well well well.

Froch just demolished Bute. Brought to mind Calzaghe vs Lacey. Just in complete control. Faster, stronger, much more aggressive. Ref could've stopped it sooner.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 545
RE: BOXING! - 27/5/2012 1:24:12 AM   
LEEJGM

I listened to it, sounded like a great fight. You have to hand it to Froch, he doesn't know how to have a boring fight. Rematch with Kessler next I suppose, which I think he can win. He may want another go at Ward which is fair enough but Ward's a class above Carl.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 546
RE: BOXING! - 27/5/2012 9:53:37 AM   
Russ Whitfield

There's a rematch clause with Bute - he might fancy his chances back in Canada where the judges will be more friendly (if he can take it the distance) and the crowd will be on Froch's back.

He may put it down to a "bad night at the office" - but I think the most galling thing for Bute will be that Froch took his best punch and came back with three of his own.

Good one, Carl - I'm thrilled that he won, a great night for British Boxing!

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 547
RE: BOXING! - 27/5/2012 10:24:11 AM   
LEEJGM

Can't see Bute's team wanting the rematch after a beating like that. I doubt it'll happen despite what's in the contract.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 548
RE: BOXING! - 28/5/2012 4:46:19 PM   
BigBadWolf

Former world champion Johnny Tapia found dead

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/9294605/Johnny-Tapia-five-time-world-champion-dies-aged-45.html

I suppose for anyone that knows Tapia's story, this won't be a surprise. It's easy to use cliché's, but sadly he does represent them, a tragic life story from the start to the last, but one of boxing 'warriors' in the ring.

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 549
RE: BOXING! - 15/6/2012 10:33:18 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Very sad news about Tapia, as you said a true warrior.
Surprised there hasn't been any comment on the Manny fight.

Anyone going to be tuning in for the Munroe/Quigg fight this weekend? Really looking forward to that, and I still can't decide who I want to win.

Quigg, I think?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 550
RE: BOXING! - 15/6/2012 3:38:15 PM   
BigBadWolf

I didn't see the Manny fight Bob, just read about it, and found no one who thought Bradley won, apparently not even close to being a split decision, never mind a Bradley win. It doesn't make it right of course, but Manny has had a couple of favourable decisions himself. Still, the re-match will be a seller, if the decision isn't reversed.

Not seen enough on Munroe and Qiugg to make a prediction, apparently it's a 50/50, so should make for a good fight.

Post #: 551
RE: BOXING! - 15/6/2012 3:54:13 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

I didn't see the Manny fight Bob, just read about it, and found no one who thought Bradley won, apparently not even close to being a split decision, never mind a Bradley win. It doesn't make it right of course, but Manny has had a couple of favourable decisions himself. Still, the re-match will be a seller, if the decision isn't reversed.

Not seen enough on Munroe and Qiugg to make a prediction, apparently it's a 50/50, so should make for a good fight.

I had Manny well up, and I don't like him. Agree on the favourable decisions thing, and it may be bias but he's never been a patch on Mayweather.

If you get chance I really would watch the Quigg fight, he's a real upcoming talent and Munroe is just a great story and a nice guy.
If you're really hardcore you can play the drinking game where you have to finish a shot everytime the name Frampton is mentioned during the show.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 552
RE: BOXING! - 16/6/2012 9:09:34 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Cmon Rhodes, show Ricky Hatton up for the arse he has been.

EDIT: Bollocks Ryans too old , and the main event was a disappointment.
While I'm sure they will do it again, Hattons contract is up with SKY so god know where it will be shown or when. That was one nasty cut.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 17/6/2012 10:09:41 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 553
RE: BOXING! - 19/6/2012 2:09:56 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Larry O banned for 4 years for 13 separate breaches of anti doping laws.

Most worrying for me is that he was only caught after a tip off from the US Drug enforcement Administration around the trafficking of steriods, and HGH.

Rob Smith from the BBBoC said "it demonstrates that cheats cannot hide" which is obviously entirely opposite of what is true. You can indeed hide, as long as your are cuter than Larry when importing your shit. Larry obviously isn't the brightest button in the box and he managed to avoid getting caught for 7 years.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 554
RE: BOXING! - 8/7/2012 9:21:19 PM   
LEEJGM

Did anyone see Fury last night? He's actually got himself in something like decent shape (his uncle's training him now) and looked good. Gone were most of the bad habits (dropping his guard by wiping his nose or pulling his shorts up, being generally scrappy) and put in a good solid performance. I still think Price has his number but on last night's evidence, he may actually be a real contender with skills rather than just size on his side.

Post #: 555
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 8:56:48 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I cannot BELIEVE I missed that.

Kell Brook's performance was worrying and his reaction after the fight was strange to say the least. I can't recall a boxer and promoter saying - in front of the training team - that the preparation for the fight was wrong. And then Johnny Nelson perhaps (and I say perhaps cos we'll never know) let slip that Brook had taken a weekend off in his camp.

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 556
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 11:27:58 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

I cannot BELIEVE I missed that.

Kell Brook's performance was worrying and his reaction after the fight was strange to say the least. I can't recall a boxer and promoter saying - in front of the training team - that the preparation for the fight was wrong. And then Johnny Nelson perhaps (and I say perhaps cos we'll never know) let slip that Brook had taken a weekend off in his camp.

Its his diet and conditioning I think.

Good wake up call for him though and despite part of his record Jones is no slouch.
I think Kel might find himself state side sooner rather than later, although I think moving him away from the Ingles and letting Rob McCracken have him for a few fights would be a really positive move. Obviously Rob has the added advantage of being situated in Sheffield at the Institute of Sport.
Working alongside someone like Froch might actually show Kel how far he has to go outside of the ring to be an elite fighter.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 557
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 11:53:05 AM   
Russ Whitfield

That Jones was really hard... talk about tough, pretty much defined "warrior performance" there.

The Ingles must be on the way out, you could see them in the background when Hearn was slagging them off wearing Rictus grins - as I say above, it was really quite a shock for both fighter and promoter to come out and be that openly critical.

Froch is a true inspiration - I agree, Kel could learn a lot from working with him, he's a machine.

Two random thoughts occurred to me as I type and think about boxing - firstly, isn't Haye vs Chisora next week and... whatever happened to Billy Graham, Hatton's ex-trainer? He seemed to get the best of Hatton, despite his charge's penchant for fags, Guinness and curry in between fights.

www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 558
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 12:03:20 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Two random thoughts occurred to me as I type and think about boxing - firstly, isn't Haye vs Chisora next week

Yes and Khan/Garcia.

Last Saturday was crazy I had to use two different SKY + boxes to get all the fights.
The Sheffield Card was good, Tyson Fury and Eubank Jr on Five and Wlad the terrible walking through another hand picked Yank on BN.

quote:

and... whatever happened to Billy Graham, Hatton's ex-trainer? He seemed to get the best of Hatton, despite his charge's penchant for fags, Guinness and curry in between fights.

You mean after Hatton ditched him rather cruelly. He said Grahams injury meant he wasn't getting the quality training he needed.
Which given the boxers who left him might have a point, however there were better ways of going about it.

I think Graham is still really quite bitter about it all, and Hatton certainly hasn't thrown anything his way since.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 559
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 12:20:50 PM   
Russ Whitfield

I resent that BoxNation isn't free. And the worse thing is is that at a tenner, its reasonably priced, but I can't bear to stump up yet more cash for satellite subscription. Then again, it looks like I'll have to if I want to watch Haye/Chisora.... and, to be honest, I DO want to watch it; everyone knows that Haye's stunt at the press conference was aimed at getting this show on the road, I was surprised by the outrage, we've seen this sort of thing before.

I'm cross with myself for missing Tyson Fury... its clear that he or Price will be sent out to fight the Klitchcos sooner or later - sure, its too early now, but both of them have the size at least to match the Ukranians - and size does matter. I rated Haye's chances because it only takes one punch, but toe-excuses aside, he (and most other heavyweights) are at a massive disadvantage against those to. I have to say I like Price, he has a real purists style, straight one-twos and a sledgehammer jab being the order of the day,

It's a shame about Billy Graham, as I say, he seemed to get Hatton right before each of his fights, it would be nice to see him back in action.

www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 560
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 1:26:44 PM   
LEEJGM

quote:

I resent that BoxNation isn't free. And the worse thing is is that at a tenner, its reasonably priced, but I can't bear to stump up yet more cash for satellite subscription. Then again, it looks like I'll have to if I want to watch Haye/Chisora.... and, to be honest, I DO want to watch it; everyone knows that Haye's stunt at the press conference was aimed at getting this show on the road, I was surprised by the outrage, we've seen this sort of thing before.

I'm cross with myself for missing Tyson Fury... its clear that he or Price will be sent out to fight the Klitchcos sooner or later - sure, its too early now, but both of them have the size at least to match the Ukranians - and size does matter. I rated Haye's chances because it only takes one punch, but toe-excuses aside, he (and most other heavyweights) are at a massive disadvantage against those to. I have to say I like Price, he has a real purists style, straight one-twos and a sledgehammer jab being the order of the day,

It's a shame about Billy Graham, as I say, he seemed to get Hatton right before each of his fights, it would be nice to see him back in action.

I think Price is ready for the Klitchkos now and could possibly beat them. I really believe he's a future world champ. A couple more fights would certainly make him ready. Fury impressed me for the first time the other night but I think he needs at least another 5 fights to be anywhere near ready for Wladimir of Vitali. Looking at previous form, he's been an absolute sack of shit up til now. This new Fury needs time to develop into a fighter that can live up to the previous hype. He did the right thing ducking Price as he would have been blown away and the bubble of hype would have burst. Same with Price obviously but I sincerely believe Fury would have lost.

Post #: 561
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 1:36:40 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

a fighter that can live up to the previous hype. He did the right thing ducking Price as he would have been blown away and the bubble of hype would have burst. Same with Price obviously but I sincerely beli

I don't think Price is ready yet. I'd have him go state side and pick off some of their current bums, the ones the K's have taken care of.
Raise his profile as a contender, and then become the mandatory. What you don't want is to be signing one of the K Bros contracts for fuck all money and letting them have 3 rematch clauses. Screw that, I'd say have 3-4 quick fights (12 months) for Price then maybe look at Vitali and maybe pick up a nothing title from the likes of Povetkin before building up for Wald.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 9/7/2012 1:37:09 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 562
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 2:00:03 PM   
Russ Whitfield

That makes sense, but there will be the inevitable calls for the winner of haye/chisora to fight fury or price - and the money will probably be bigger than the purses he can get in the states fighting fat blokes (for the time being).

www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 563
RE: BOXING! - 9/7/2012 2:14:29 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Price (well Frank Maloney) has just lost his contract with SKY so it will largely depend on where Price goes.
He may stay with little Frank but fight on Matchroom shows, alternatively he may go to FIVE or BM.
If he goes to Matchroom and Del wins the fight will never happen, Haye's a maybe because he's made for SKY but would Haye be bothered,
I doubt it?
Price is currently without a TV and without any major domestic rivals to take on, and I can't see Haye having him on his radar.
It will be Del, and then the K's that's it. He should go stateside, build a profile make SKY take notice and then come back to pick up the Ks.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 9/7/2012 2:15:11 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 564
RE: Boxing - 15/7/2012 4:40:20 AM   
Spaldron

Looks like Khan is in the shit.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 565
RE: Boxing - 15/7/2012 4:57:55 AM   
Saltire

That was a cracking fight while it lasted, and the ol' jelly legs routine is always worth a laugh

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 566
RE: Boxing - 16/7/2012 7:35:57 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

There's always that risk with Khan, he got destroyed in an even worse fashion before - he had a lot of balls to keep coming though but it's looking more like his career is coming to an end.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 567
RE: Boxing - 16/7/2012 10:43:47 PM   
boaby

Khan was after Pacquiao or Mayweather? He's lucky this lad handed him his arse before he got in the ring with one of them.

Maybe he'd benefit from being trained by someone for who he was the primary focus.

Be fair to the lad, he doesn't seem to let taking a hiding dent his confidence.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 568
RE: Boxing - 18/7/2012 9:11:12 AM   
Sutty

Is it confidence? Or is Khan delusional?

He is already coming out with excuses now, saying that his training leading up to the fight wasn't ideal. Shouldn't have got in the ring then pal. Fact is, Khan looks the part and in some aspects is a very good boxer. He is powerful, fast, and at times exciting. But he lacks concentration, patience, and the ability to recover from big hits. I don;t subscribe to the fact that he can't take a dig, because I think he can (though perhaps not as well as others), but his lack of ability to recover from a knockdown is very worrying. When he was put down that first time in the 3rd round against Garcia he was looking to his corner. Whether this was Khan wanting out, or if he was looking for help in terms of a game plan I don't know. I think he needs to come away from the sport for a bit and take stock, and perhaps if he can't find a way to improve against the better opponants maybe he should quit, because one day he might not get up...

His wanting to fight Mayweather is pie in the sky, he is not yet worthy to fight this man. Mayweather would put him away inside of 6 minutes. Max.

There have always been rumours (and several reported incidents in the press) about Khan that suggest that he may have had too much too soon, and maybe his head isn't always in the game. And in boxing, you either do it all or not at all.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 569
RE: Boxing - 18/7/2012 11:06:39 AM   
porntrooper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Is it confidence? Or is Khan delusional?

He is already coming out with excuses now, saying that his training leading up to the fight wasn't ideal. Shouldn't have got in the ring then pal. Fact is, Khan looks the part and in some aspects is a very good boxer. He is powerful, fast, and at times exciting. But he lacks concentration, patience, and the ability to recover from big hits. I don;t subscribe to the fact that he can't take a dig, because I think he can (though perhaps not as well as others), but his lack of ability to recover from a knockdown is very worrying. When he was put down that first time in the 3rd round against Garcia he was looking to his corner. Whether this was Khan wanting out, or if he was looking for help in terms of a game plan I don't know. I think he needs to come away from the sport for a bit and take stock, and perhaps if he can't find a way to improve against the better opponants maybe he should quit, because one day he might not get up...

His wanting to fight Mayweather is pie in the sky, he is not yet worthy to fight this man. Mayweather would put him away inside of 6 minutes. Max.

There have always been rumours (and several reported incidents in the press) about Khan that suggest that he may have had too much too soon, and maybe his head isn't always in the game. And in boxing, you either do it all or not at all.

But, in fairness to Khan, he did come back pretty well after that first knockout. He got up, came back at Garcia and clearly has the conditioning to take big hits - Garcia caught him with plenty before Khan finally succumbed. Khan's problem is that after taking those hits, after taking that first knock down he let his tactics go. In the first two round he fought an almost perfect tactical fight, and after the knockdown, instead of trying to keep away and using his jab to distance and slow Garcia, he got into a toe to toe fight close up and that allowed Garcia to land his heavy left. Khan looks like he wants to prove to the crowd that he can fight those kinda fights after he's been knocked down, and up close he was never going to win. I think his ability to take a punch has improved a lot. It's when he takes those punches, when he gets knocked down he looses focus on the tactic and gets carried away - maybe its the crowds reaction he reacts to, maybe he hears that roar after the big punches land and allows himself and his ego to be drawn into the kind of fight he can never win. I think talk of retirement is premature, but he certainly needs to improve leaps and bounds before he can take on Mayweather.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: BOXING! Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI