Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

BOXING!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> BOXING! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BOXING! - 2/5/2007 6:16:19 PM   
boaby

Checked back a few pages and could find no thread on it, so I thought i'd start one.

Mega-Montai-Beast of a fight this weekend. De La Hoya vs Mayweather. Golden boy vs Pretty boy. 6 weight champ vs 4 weight champ. Good guy vs Wank.

Any thoughts on the outcome of the richest match ever? I hope Oscar flattens the bawbag that is Floyd Jr. I reckon I'll have to settle for a points win though.

Also interesting to watch David Haye crush Bonin recently. Real power and, should he win the Cruiserweight title, a real chance at a Heavyweight title fight in the next coupla years.

With the recognition of Hatton and Calzaghe stateside it seems that UK boxing is on the up now. I just wish Scott Harrison hadn't went into meltdown.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."
Post #: 1
RE: BOXING! - 3/5/2007 12:54:35 PM   
Beno

If Mayweather was British i think he would be one of the most hated men in the
country , what a t%sser . The way he carries bundles of dollar bills around with him
everywhere is pathetic , i hope De La Hoya shuts his face .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2
RE: BOXING! - 3/5/2007 8:51:23 PM   
KennyM

Harrison just filled the stereotypes of a wee weegie bell-end, not that i'd say it to his face mind. Alex Arthur is lookin like Scotlands next hope at a world title. British boxin looks on the up though with the fighters you mentioned.
Lookin forward to this weekends fight too, I share your thoughts on wantin "Golden Boy" to win, though I can't see it, I think Mayweather will just be to good for him.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 3
RE: BOXING! - 4/5/2007 2:33:10 PM   
Art Vandelay

Really looking forward to the big fight this weekend. Just a shame it's on so damn late over here. Hopefully De La Hoya will rip apart Mayweather, but i'm a little doubtful.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 4
RE: BOXING! - 4/5/2007 4:53:23 PM   
Charlie Burns

Gotta agree De La Hoya to win. Why is Mayweather such a knob? His trash talk doesn't endear him to anyone, it just makes everyone hate him and probably doesn't even effect his opponents. What time is the fight on over here? 

Sex Panther

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 5
RE: BOXING! - 4/5/2007 6:06:12 PM   
Art Vandelay

2am, Sunday morning.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

(in reply to Charlie Burns)
Post #: 6
RE: BOXING! - 5/5/2007 8:38:59 PM   
Dark Knight

Sky reminder is set - HHD recorder set.....

And come Sunday morning about 9am when I get up I hope to skip through all the preceeding 90 mins of bullshit and build up from Sky and watch Oscar De La Hoya hand a wonderful ass-kicking out to Mayweather (part of me doubts it though).

Either way - it should be a good fight and it nice to see that Sky haven't been tempted to place this on Box Office - maybe if there had been a British fighter on the undercard it would have been on there in a flash.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 7
RE: BOXING! - 6/5/2007 2:00:20 AM   
Art Vandelay

A bigger man would have stayed up to watch the fight. Which explains why i'm on here at 1:59am...

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 8
RE: BOXING! - 6/5/2007 5:44:37 AM   
boaby

Mayweather on a split decision.

Hard to argue really. Oscar was struggling at the end after looking good early on. I didn't expect Mayweather to rock Oscar like he did. I expected Oscar to jab more and throw more shots in general. Oscar never really looked like knocking Floyd out. Pity.

I hope Mayweather sticks to his word about retiring. I think Oscar should retire now as well.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 9
RE: BOXING! - 6/5/2007 9:07:37 AM   
AndyT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

And come Sunday morning about 9am when I get up I hope to skip through all the preceeding 90 mins of bullshit and build up from Sky and watch Oscar De La Hoya hand a wonderful ass-kicking out to Mayweather (part of me doubts it though).

Either way - it should be a good fight and it nice to see that Sky haven't been tempted to place this on Box Office - maybe if there had been a British fighter on the undercard it would have been on there in a flash.

Lol, 9am on SS1 you'd be on the 12th round anyway. Sorta pointless recording it when it's on several repeat times! lol.

Post #: 10
RE: BOXING! - 6/5/2007 10:29:11 AM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

Lol, 9am on SS1 you'd be on the 12th round anyway. Sorta pointless recording it when it's on several repeat times! lol.

The entire point is in recording it is that I get to watch it when I want to watch it and not when Sky schedule it (THE entire point of recording something!)

Anyway - that was a great fight - personally, I thought Oscar did enough in the early part of the fight to secure himself for the win regardless of a comeback from Mayweather, but even if he didn't win it was nice to see him knock the cocky bastard of out his game plan for a while. I think that Oscar's agressive stance forcing Mayweather onto the back foot, and to be honest, an outstanding defence, at times, against Mayweather's jabs should have handed him in the victory.

However, as I said - great fight and maybe they will do it all again!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to AndyT)
Post #: 11
RE: BOXING! - 7/5/2007 7:50:44 PM   
Beno

I scored the fight and had De La Hoya a winner by one point although i have little arguement
with the decision . That being said i cant see Mayweather growing into this higher weight
division.....or is it that i just dont like him ??

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 12
Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 8/5/2007 9:06:57 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Clicky!

Very sad news.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 13
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 8/5/2007 9:15:43 AM   
m_er

very sad indeed

RIP

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 14
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 10/5/2007 3:48:53 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Clicky!

Very sad news.....

Wow. What a waste of talent.
RIP

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 15
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 11/5/2007 7:31:17 PM   
boaby

fight tonight on SKY.

Anderson vs Magee

It's only for the British Welterweight Title but Anderson is former Commonwealth gold medallist and pro-champ, only 24 and aiming to get back on track after losing c'wealth belt. Magee is a former world champ and put Hatton on his arse a while back. Has the makings of a decent fight. I've not seen much of Anderson as a pro but from the look of Magee's mug on the beeb he loves getting hit. I remember he spent most of the Hatton fight in his own corner slugging it out.

Hopefully Anderson wins and convincingly so. Could do with a new Scottish talent pushing through. Alex Arthur is not as good as he thinks he is and no-one seems to want to give Aberdeen's Lee McAllister a fight for a title.

C'mon Ando!

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 16
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 23/6/2007 1:51:30 PM   
boaby

Right then, revival time.

Hatton vs Castillo.

Vegas, World Title, Hype.

Can Hatton win again? He's a surprisingly big favourite with the bookies, 1-2 with some apparently.

I see he has a 400kg punch. Twice as hard as a Premiership player's shot. They did a Drago like test at Manchester Uni. Hatton broke the machine 1st time round. All part of the hype I suppose.

I have Setanta so will get to witness the circus that is a Vegas title fight.

Setanta have been showing the pair's previous fights. The Castillo/Corrales fights looked attritional, very Hattonesque.

Hatton or Castillo? Who will win?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 17
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 23/6/2007 4:43:38 PM   
LB Jeffries

Hatton definately - Castillo's past his best and Hatton is hungry again after admitting that he hadn't taken his last two fights as seriously as he should have. A late stoppage or 5-6 round points win.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 18
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 24/6/2007 11:04:25 PM   
boaby

well, well, well

I expected a close fight with potential bitching about the judges scoring at the end. It started that way, Castillo tidy inside, Hatton relentless, pundits arguing over who won the third. Then bang!

I definitely didn't expect a knockout in 4.

Consensus seems to be that Hatton could take his pick of fights now.

Who next? Mosely? Oscar? Mayweather?

All the biggies would involve going up a weight which Hatton struggled with last time. Decision, decisions.

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 19
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 25/6/2007 8:25:24 PM   
BobaJango

Respect to Castillo though for not crying out at that KO. That's gotta be one of the most painful ways to end it.
Kinda feel sorry for the bastard really what with everything that was at stake both career wise and financially. Fuck it though, at the end of the day the better man won!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 20
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 2/7/2007 6:15:26 PM   
chrismart83

hearing alot of noise about a potential fight between Hatton and Mayweather, what do you guys think? Mayweather would be a tough fight, he's not the most enteraining boxer to watch but his is very effective and gets the job done.

On another note, i just finished watching the Castillo vs Corrales...wow what a fight.

''You'll Never Walk Alone''

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 21
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 2/7/2007 10:00:34 PM   
boaby

not sure Mayweather is the best option for Hatton.

I think he should go after soeone more similar to himself.

However, if he beat Mayweather the boxing world would love him to bits. Mayweather is a tit and many folk would relish him getting beaten.

Out of interest, has anyone got ESPN Classic? Some cracking retro boxing on that channel recently. They showed the famed fight at the end of Raging Bull when La Motta got a proper hiding, and it was a proper hiding!

(in reply to chrismart83)
Post #: 22
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 3/7/2007 9:30:43 AM   
Beno

Mayweather will be destroyed by a pumped up , wound up Hatton in 3 rounds easily no  problem you read it here first !! And when the fight happens i intend to put money on it .

< Message edited by Beno -- 3/7/2007 9:31:48 AM >

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 23
RE: Diego Corrales Dies aged 29 - 14/7/2007 10:34:54 PM   
Harry Lime

Cracking fight between Amir Khan and Willie Limond tonight.

I thought Khan looked out of sorts from round four and when Limond knocked him down in the sixth I thought that was game over. Khan was absolutely reeling until that bell rang. Credit to Khan for the way he came back though. I think Limond was too determined to finish him off quickly but that right from Khan obliterated him. The ITV adverts ruined the climax somewhat but it was good to see Khan in a proper battle. And credit to Limond who fought like a defending champion rather than just rolling over.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 24
RE: Boxing - 14/7/2007 10:59:46 PM   
BigBadWolf

That was a decent fight which made a mockery of the all people in the press and media this last week who have been saying that Frank Warren is developing Khan too slowly, and that he should be fighing at a much higher level.  The kid is just 20 and has had just 13 fights.  Typical of certain media in this country though.

I thought Khan looked really tense and as a result his punches weren't flowing and his movement was poor.  I thought it was all over too when he hit the deck, had Limond been a stronger puncher it could well have been.  As you say credit to Khan for keeping it together but he needs serious work on his defence.  You can't lean back from punches and drop your hands at top level.  He needs to work on his lateral movement more.

Limond though, whilst not class is a very good domestic/European level boxer and provided a very good test, which Khan needs to learn from.

The fight between Skelton and Sprott is utter shite though.

< Message edited by BigBadWolf -- 7/9/2008 12:04:55 AM >

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 25
RE: Boxing - 15/7/2007 12:41:56 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf
The fight between Skelton and Sprott is utter shite though.

I was so bored I actually started a conversation with the missus.

What did you reckon to the Pryce / Small  fight?  I was gutted when it was stopped although I think Pryce had done the hard work.

A good enjoyable night of boxing on ITV,  Jesus it must of been a while since anyone said that.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 15/7/2007 12:42:09 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 26
RE: Boxing - 15/7/2007 2:13:10 PM   
boaby

goddamnit. I forgot about the boxing last night.

Pity Limond didn't win, I always like seeing Scots do well.

Having seen preious Skelton fights I'm not shocked that it was mince.

What does everyone reckon about the upcoming Calzaghe Kessler fight? Have to say I've not seen any of Kessler before so I'm a bit scoobied.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 27
RE: Boxing - 28/7/2007 4:16:11 PM   
Rinc

Hatton and Mayweather agree deal in principle

Absolutely brilliant if it's confirmed and they fight. Certainly the biggest fight for a British boxer for a long time.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 28
RE: Boxing - 1/8/2007 1:26:23 PM   
LEEJGM

Great news.  I just hope it happens. 
As much as I'd love to see Hatton to knock Pretty Boy Floyd out, I fancy a points win for Mayweather. However, if anyone out there has a chance of beating PBF at Welter, it's Hatton.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 29
RE: Boxing - 1/8/2007 3:02:48 PM   
Beno

Just thought about this thread and thought id give the late James Oyebola a mention . He never made a big splash in the Heavyweight division like say Bruno but he was top British class fighter . He won Bronze at 1986 Commonwealth games and was a former W.B.C. International champ and former British title holder . He had been retired from Boxing for 10 years . One sad thing , i always found , about his Commonwealth Games Bronze was the fact that in the same tournement Lennox Lewis won the Gold but was representing Canada yet he still got all the attention even from Brit . press and Oyebola hardly got a mention .
                                                           R.I.P.
                                                       BIG BAD .

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> BOXING! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI