Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 12:37:55 AM   
Biggus

Haven't seen a League of Gentlemen thread since I've been on the forums. Any other fans out there? It's one of my favourite comedies alongside Fawlty, OFAH and The Office. So many brilliant characters and the humour is wonderfully dark. Plenty of horror movie references too which have clearly influenced the League.

My favourite characters are:
  • Tubbs & Edward ("Strangers would come to the shop, in gangs of 1 or 2!")
  • Papa Lazarous ("I got some pegs belonging to you!")
  • Pop ("9 Maverick bars? And you say that this is nothing?")
  • Harvey Denton ("While the wee wife's away...")

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 11:23:25 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

I watched it once and didn't like it.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 2
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 2:48:35 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

Haven't seen a League of Gentlemen thread since I've been on the forums. Any other fans out there? It's one of my favourite comedies alongside Fawlty, OFAH and The Office. So many brilliant characters and the humour is wonderfully dark. Plenty of horror movie references too which have clearly influenced the League.

My favourite characters are:
  • Tubbs & Edward ("Strangers would come to the shop, in gangs of 1 or 2!")
  • Papa Lazarous ("I got some pegs belonging to you!")
  • Pop ("9 Maverick bars? And you say that this is nothing?")
  • Harvey Denton ("While the wee wife's away...")

I'm a big fan of them - I would probably replace the last two guys in your list with Geoff Tipps and Hilary Briss. Or maybe the couple with the scary twins. Oh, and Legz Akimbo, painfully hilarious. I guess people presumably prefer the similar Little Britain round these parts, which is why it's not come up before.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 3
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 2:48:53 PM   
elab49

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=70110&mpage=1&key=league%2Cgentlemen&NID=0#70110

It would be odd if there wasn't one for such a popular series. Search is working now - after not for an awful long time!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 4
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 3:07:06 PM   
jonathan74

I like it, though it did take a while to acquire a taste for it.  Wasn't so keen on the movie though.

The Christmas episode is one of the scariest things I've seen on TV, and I particularly like the Victorian segment "He never gets up or leaves his room ...... save to go for a wee."

Do you really care about the last 5 movies I watched?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 3:11:46 PM   
pettsy

I love LoG.  I always think Little Britain owes it a lot. 

My favourite character is probably Papa Lazarou, with Herr Lipp and Mr Chinnery not far behind...

"Was he very old?"

(in reply to jonathan74)
Post #: 6
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 4:09:58 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: pettsy

My favourite character is probably Papa Lazarou, with Herr Lipp and Mr Chinnery not far behind...

"Was he very old?"

"Whiskey, she's my little angel she is. Whiskey? Whiskey?!?"

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 7
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 4:17:28 PM   
Hex

Will the mystery of the charity shop dummy ever be revealed I wonder?

Every time I listen to the commentary it pisses me off that they wont say

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 8
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 4:19:35 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: pettsy

"Was he very old?"

"Whiskey, she's my little angel she is. Whiskey? Whiskey?!?"

"If you'd like to take a seat.  I'm afraid I have some rather distressing news..."

I admired them a lot for the third series as well, even if not all of it worked, it was a brave thing to do.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 9
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 4:26:08 PM   
jonathan74

I think it's the final episode of the first series on the farm where Mr Chinnery is giving a demonstartion to the class, the way one of the twins says something like "That's not it's uterus Mr Chinnery. That's it's rectum." cracks me up each time.  Wrong, I know (but most of the show is). 

Do you really care about the last 5 movies I watched?

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 10
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 6:06:23 PM   
*emz6*

i find it really creepy and it scares me a little. although HELLLOOO DAVE! does make me laugh.but other than that, just.plain.scared

(in reply to jonathan74)
Post #: 11
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 7:06:51 PM   
JIm R

An anstonishingly good series.  Just genuis.

The Christmas special IMO is the single best episode of a 'sitcom' ever made.

Made the correct decision to go out on top.

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 12
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 7:16:25 PM   
Wedge

Brilliant stuff.  Innovative and daring.  I have all the DVDs and I hope they do another special.  Although, I did think the League of Gentlemen Are Behind You!  was rather poor.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 13
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 29/4/2007 7:18:13 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Oh god I know, it drives me mad! Their commentaries are often even funnier than the series, I recommend the drury lane tour commentary.  Fucking hilarious. 

My favourite characters are Bernice, Papa Lazarou, Ollie Plimsolls, Geoff and Tubbs and Edward.   Love Pauline too.  There are so many hilarious characters it's hard to believe there are only 3 blokes in it.  I saw them live last year and they were fab.  Huge, huge fan, have been for years and will love it til the day I die.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 14
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 30/4/2007 3:53:35 PM   
discodave101

This show makes me shiver.....as I'm unfortunate enough to be called Dave.

Now picture the fact that my circle of friends LOVE this show and imagine how many times I've had to walk into a room to "hellooooo daaaaaave" - and then you may realise and understand my utter dislike and distain. Thank god the show may be over, as its only the sporadic drunken reminder that surfaces to haunt me every now and again. If the show came back, I'd consider never leaving the house.

(queue the now endless PM's of 'Helloooo daaaaaave')

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 15
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 2/5/2007 1:53:03 AM   
Hex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Oh god I know, it drives me mad! Their commentaries are often even funnier than the series, I recommend the drury lane tour commentary.  Fucking hilarious. 

Absolutely agree. I listen to the shows with the commentary on much more than I do without.
In fact I never watch the movie without the commentary. It improves it sooo much.

Btw anyone who loves the League really should check out Funland by Jeremy Dyson. Its fucking fantastic! And it has Mark in it!

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 16
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 2/5/2007 9:05:36 AM   
Base

Absolutely loathed and hated this when I first saw it, housemate use to watch it and I could not see the appeal.  The saw the pilot a few years ago on a plane and have since watched every episode except the Christmas Special (which I picked up a few weeks ago from a second hand shop, not watched yet tho) and the film and love it (had tickets for the panto a couple of years ago but was ill and missed it ). 

My then girlfriend is also fan and watched all of the series again with me, so you'd think she'd like the catchphrases, but the look I got when I said You're my wife now in the car after our wedding certainly didn't look amused

Definitely an acquired taste, but worth it...!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 17
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 2/5/2007 10:29:23 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Hex, I listen to the commentaries more than the show too. I totallly agree about the film commentary - much, much funnier than the film. 

Base, you will love the christmas special.  Personally I think it's the best thing they've done.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 18
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 2/5/2007 10:46:39 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

My then girlfriend is also fan and watched all of the series again with me, so you'd think she'd like the catchphrases, but the look I got when I said You're my wife now in the car after our wedding certainly didn't look amused

I really hope that is in the photos, her face must have been a picture!

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 19
Xmas Special - 18/11/2012 1:21:05 PM   
scary_ice

OK so I started a new thread as I couldn't find one but I have been redirected here. Shouldn't the Search function work better on this site?

So Im very late to the party as far as the League are concerned - started watching it on UK Gold a few months back but missed some episodes so recently bought the box set.

I've just finished Series 2 and was wondering should I watch the Christmas Special before I watch Series 3? As far as I know that is the way it was aired but the box set has the Christmas Special at the very end. Is it in continuity or does it really make any difference when you watch it? Any opinions would be appreciated.

I'm going to try and hold off to watch the Special when it's actually closer to Christmas but it's not going to be easy to resist!

It's been interesting reading through people's comments here as I think when I first saw bits of this on TV it didn't strike me as being particularly funny at all - just weird and grotesque. But somewhere along the way I saw some Tubbs and Edward (predictable yes) and found them bloody hilarious and that was my gateway into checking it out properly. I think part of the fun of the series is just watching the performances of the trio as they transform themselves completely from character to character.

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 20
RE: Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread - 18/11/2012 1:21:53 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

Absolutely loathed and hated this when I first saw it, housemate use to watch it and I could not see the appeal.  The saw the pilot a few years ago on a plane and have since watched every episode except the Christmas Special (which I picked up a few weeks ago from a second hand shop, not watched yet tho) and the film and love it (had tickets for the panto a couple of years ago but was ill and missed it ). 

Definitely an acquired taste, but worth it...!

I know this was posted years ago but this made me burst out laughing!

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Hello Daaaave! The League of Gentlemen Thread Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI