Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: HEAT

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: HEAT Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 10:25:11 PM   
Lydia_H

I was heartbroken when McCauley was killed in the end, but it was totally the right decision and made for such a powerful finale

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 31
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 10:33:35 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

I was heartbroken when McCauley was killed in the end, but it was totally the right decision and made for such a powerful finale

BUT

how much of a spin would Hanna bein killed put on the film, your right we had so much feelinn for a "bad" dude bein killed, which is not wot were used 2. Respect to Mann here for the character build up of McCauley (he was a real human being FFS imagine THAT)

Satipo: Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here.
Indiana: That's what scares me.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 32
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 10:57:52 PM   
Lydia_H

Definitely an interesting spin, but in the end I think the sadness of seeing McCauley killed would be far more potent and affecting than the happiness I'd feel seeing him live, and this is strengthened by how McCauley has had to waste his opportunity to leave his criminal life with Eady, all because of his sense of duty to his friends, needing to kill Waingro. He's such a sorry, hopeless figure by the end and it's so sad. I thought the ending worked for Hanna as well because he just has to forget about everything and move on to the next criminal, never to grow attached to anyone except the people he has to put away

< Message edited by Lydia_H -- 2/5/2007 10:58:19 PM >

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 33
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 11:03:48 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

Definitely an interesting spin, but in the end I think the sadness of seeing McCauley killed would be far more potent and affecting than the happiness I'd feel seeing him live, and this is strengthened by how McCauley has had to waste his opportunity to leave his criminal life with Eady, all because of his sense of duty to his friends, needing to kill Waingro. He's such a sorry, hopeless figure by the end and it's so sad. I thought the ending worked for Hanna as well because he just has to forget about everything and move on to the next criminal, never to grow attached to anyone except the people he has to put away

Nice Lids nice

BUT

i actually thing Hannas sadness was way more that McCauleys and an ending to suit woulda been more powerful

I'm thinking Hanna had the " normal" life and thats no fucking good is it? we all want the sexy wife and the loot and no hastle but it dont work like that.....EVER

from time to time I just wish it fucking did!

ps I got the sexy wife!!!

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 34
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 11:15:35 PM   
Lydia_H

I'm sure Mann could've made either situation work for a powerful ending, and you're right about Hanna being as tragic a figure as McCauley. I suppose it just comes down to which performance and character you were most involved with and for me that was McCauley. We want our favourite to be killed so they don't have to go back to a lonely, depressing life

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 35
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 11:25:28 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

I'm sure Mann could've made either situation work for a powerful ending, and you're right about Hanna being as tragic a figure as McCauley. I suppose it just comes down to which performance and character you were most involved with and for me that was McCauley. We want our favourite to be killed so they don't have to go back to a lonely, depressing life

fuck sake how depressed are you?

bottom line is that we wish our human emotions on any film!!!!! coz thats wot we are

I give you  (stay wif me here) Raiders and BTTF pt 1............................................fucking classics

I also give you Pale Rider and 10 days of the Condor in which case our attitiudes AND feelings change (for the better in my opinion) coz it 's about REAL movies

we LOVE the PREACHER and REDFORD in so many different ways

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 36
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 11:32:26 PM   
Lydia_H

?

I thought we were talking about Heat

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 37
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 11:40:51 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

?

I thought we were talking about Heat

yeh we was

Im sorry, but u was so sad,

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 38
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 11:46:39 PM   
Lydia_H

I'm quite happy, I even watched Priscilla Queen of the Desert earlier 

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 39
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 11:48:43 PM   
VincentHanna

For me, there was sadness with both characters at the end. (Any quotes I make probably aren't word for word, it's what I remember, so bear with me.)

Neil desperately wanted the chance to escape from the life he had but despite what he told Chris in his apartment -"don't  have anything in your life you can't walk out  on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner" -  Neil couldn't  do it any more, he was pretty much free but decided to go back for Waingro when he knew all he had to do was walk away. He doomed himself and kind of knew he was doing it.

Vincent's sadness came from one line - "all I am is what I'm going after" - and by going after and finally killing Neil, his life was pretty much empty again. No wife, just the job. Same as always.

Neither man has won anything this time. Sure, Vincent has killed Neil, he's stopped the "bad guy", but they both saw a slight reflection of each other when they sat down for coffee.
Vincent: "You never wanted a normal-type life?"
Neil: "What the fuck is that? Barbecues and ball-games?"

Followed by......
Vincent: "Maybe you and me, we should both go do something else, pal."
Neil: "I don't know how to do anything else...."
Vincent: "Neither do I....."
Neil: "And I don't much want to."
Vincent: "Me either."

One a cop, one a criminal, but more alike each other than most other people around them.
So the very last scene, with Neil dying - "told you I was never going back" and Vincent looking away as Neil dies, shows the tragedy of both characters.
To happen the other way would have been the "happier" ending - Neil escaping with Eady, Vincent free of chasing down bad guys and being married to his job.

Edit - just read the other posts above. I'm happy too. I just fucking love this film (Heat) to bits.

< Message edited by VincentHanna -- 2/5/2007 11:50:44 PM >

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 40
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 11:53:37 PM   
Fivefur

interesting dude

and a line that me thinks has not been explored before..........on this "popular" movie

from my perspective, I still think reversin it woulda made better movies

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 41
RE: HEAT - 3/5/2007 10:10:23 AM   
Gothzilla

yes but have you watched 36 yet ?

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 42
RE: HEAT - 6/5/2007 3:19:16 AM   
Bubbahhotep

Well done u summed that up perfectly Vincent I totally agree with what u said it's a sad ending for both character's.

"shit in one hand wish in the other see which one fills up first"

http://www.myspace.com/beingdarrenmckenzie

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 43
RE: HEAT - 12/5/2007 1:55:38 AM   
kurtz3771

I loved the movie.  I thought the story was great and the acting even greater.

(in reply to Bubbahhotep)
Post #: 44
RE: HEAT - 12/5/2007 2:04:35 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

yes but have you watched 36 yet ?

aaaahhhhhh Goth

straight answer is no

honest answer is ..........................................................no

piad $20 for the fucker dude it better be REALLY fucking good

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 45
RE: HEAT - 12/5/2007 3:13:55 AM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

I'm not even going to ask what that is..... Heat though is excelllent, one of my favourite films of all time and Pacino and De Niro are excellent in it together. Five stars.

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 12/5/2007 3:16:24 AM >

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 46
RE: HEAT - 12/5/2007 6:02:47 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

quote:

I'm not even going to ask what that is..... Heat though is excelllent, one of my favourite films of all time and Pacino and De Niro are excellent in it together. Five stars.

we are debating the European benefits of "36".

it would appear that i paid WAYY over the odds for a French version of Heat, pissed as it makes me to say it, I dont mind paying top dollar for a good movie, thing is I aint watched the fucker yet, and its bin 2 weeks since i purchased the thing...................... anybody want a wife and 2 kids?.......(kidding)

if it even gets to 50% of the love i have for Heat then we are onto a winner.............watch this space

need to go get ready for my 9 yr olds footie, fuck its Saturday morning already..................does it EVER slow the fuck down?

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 47
RE: HEAT - 25/5/2007 5:41:48 PM   
Gothzilla

Have you watched it yet ?

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 48
RE: HEAT - 25/5/2007 5:52:23 PM   
Biggus

I've commented on Heat many times before so I'll just say it's my 2nd favourite film of all time and I absolutely love every aspect of it. My review is on my profile.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 49
RE: HEAT - 26/5/2007 4:38:10 AM   
Indy_J

aaahhh biggus, some sensible straight forward comments dude.

if only the world...............................................................no not the time or place indy calm the fuck down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 50
RE: HEAT - 7/6/2007 12:06:31 PM   
Peter Dragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bubbahhotep

For me it could have gone either way I would have liked Deniro to Win in the end it would have been just as good. Both characters were imense some say Pacino is over the top in Heat I think he's the right ammount of intimidaiting and loud and brash he's got a little man complex. This thread is more aboud 36 than heat.

Interestingly there was supposed to be a side note in the movie that Vincent was supposed to be a coke head, I shit you not, the studio vetoed it. That's why in some of the scene's Pacino acts like he's wired to the moon.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to Bubbahhotep)
Post #: 51
RE: HEAT - 8/6/2007 3:58:00 PM   
libertine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Dragon

quote:

For me it could have gone either way I would have liked Deniro to Win in the end it would have been just as good. Both characters were imense some say Pacino is over the top in Heat I think he's the right ammount of intimidaiting and loud and brash he's got a little man complex. This thread is more aboud 36 than heat.

Interestingly there was supposed to be a side note in the movie that Vincent was supposed to be a coke head, I shit you not, the studio vetoed it. That's why in some of the scene's Pacino acts like he's wired to the moon.

Yes Mann apparently told Pacino to act like he was on coke which is why he's ott in some scenes.

(in reply to Peter Dragon)
Post #: 52
RE: HEAT - 8/6/2007 4:10:11 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: libertine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Dragon

quote:

Yes Mann apparently told Pacino to act like he was on coke which is why he's ott in some scenes.

Pacino confirms that Hanna does actually indulge in a little cocaine use on the documentary on the special edition. They thought it wasn't necessary to show this on film though.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to libertine)
Post #: 53
RE: HEAT - 20/6/2007 2:34:05 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Heat is definitely one of my favourite films.  Awesome movie, with a superb shootout and engaging characters.  The chemistry between Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro is just exciting. 

I found the ending sad too.  Just look at the emotion on Pacino's face as he grasps DeNiro's hand, he looks as if he is thinking, "My task is done, but was this worth it?", as the film closes to God Moving Over the Face of the Waters by Moby.  Beautiful.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 54
RE: HEAT - 20/6/2007 2:35:52 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Heat is definitely one of my favourite films.  Awesome movie, with a superb shootout and engaging characters.  The chemistry between Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro is just exciting. 

I found the ending sad too.  Just look at the emotion on Pacino's face as he grasps DeNiro's hand, he looks as if he is thinking, "My task is done, but was this worth it?", as the film closes to God Moving Over the Face of the Waters by Moby.  Beautiful.

SHIT, you just gave something away, not for me though

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 55
RE: HEAT - 20/6/2007 2:43:57 PM   
DaveNewman18

Thats been mentioned throughout the thread I think.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 56
RE: HEAT - 20/6/2007 3:25:50 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveNewman18

Thats been mentioned throughout the thread I think.

Okay then, went for it for shock value. Cheeky bastard!!

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 57
RE: HEAT - 20/6/2007 4:29:32 PM   
rubadub

"She got a ...GREAT ASS!!!"
"And you got your head...ALL THE WAY UP IT!!!"

(in reply to libertine)
Post #: 58
RE: HEAT - 20/6/2007 4:32:48 PM   
adamdavidsmith

''GIVE ME WHAT YOU GOT!!'' ''GIVE ME WHAT YOU GOT!!''

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 59
RE: HEAT - 20/6/2007 4:34:02 PM   
Horror Nut

Great, great film. One of my all-time favourites, and it contains one of the greatest shoot outs I think I've ever seen in a film. Amazing movie!!!

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: HEAT Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI