Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

HEAT

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> HEAT Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HEAT - 27/4/2007 2:45:20 PM   
Bubbahhotep

Micheal Mann's Heat is the movie for me I love it. The movie is perfect it's got a story which has been done many times before(cat and mouse, cop and robber) but the film captures the plot in a raw realistic vein our character's are very well written and there is no laughable cliched movie moments the film ebbs gracefully along.

The set up for one of the films key action sequences is in a dank roadside Diner where our Cop Vincent Hannah (Al Pacino) and Robber Neil McAully (Robert Deniro) have a coffe. Our two key character's calmy warn one another to back off.

Vincent "If it's between you and some poor guy who's wife your gonna turn into a widow then brother you are going down."

Neil "Their's a flipside to that coin what if you do got me boxed in and I got to put you down. Cause no matter what you will not get in my way."

This sets up the robbery sequence perfectly.

When we are met with the Bank shoot out we find ourselves thrust into chaos the guns sound thunderous and Epic and all the key male character's are involved.
The Shootout is easily the best ever filmed in my opinion. There is something so cool  in the fact that Deniro keeps his sunglasses on throughout the whole shootout.

The films music is another reason the whole thing works brilliantly with a Score from Moby called god moving among the face of the water's  (among other's) which set a vivid  mood to the films aftermath (which I wont go into for spoiler reasons)

Micheal Mann has never topped this film Collateral was good but no match to Heat, Miami Vice was also a good film but had it's flaws. Heat's got another thing going for it even for smaller parts we have these well known actors involved hows this for a cast. Al Pacino, Robbert Deniro, Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore, Wes Studi, Jon Voight, Ted Levine, Natalie Portman, Diane Venora, Ashley Judd, Mykelti Williamson, Danny Trejo, Tom Noonan.

I can't fault this movie even at a lengthy running time it never bores. It is the ultimate tale of crime and obession and it only took one movie no need for Heat II.

"shit in one hand wish in the other see which one fills up first"

http://www.myspace.com/beingdarrenmckenzie
Post #: 1
RE: HEAT - 27/4/2007 4:28:45 PM   
krudler

awseome movie,manns finest along with last of the mohicans,most people only remember it for the shootout sequence but its the story and characters that make it,one of those films with absolutely perfect casting,great soundtrack too

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Bubbahhotep)
Post #: 2
RE: HEAT - 27/4/2007 6:55:31 PM   
evil bill

HEAT what can you say about one of the greatest Crime movies of all time,it's so watchable time after time.De Niro,Pacnio and all the cast are on top form.The story within storys just Brillant script writing,The imageof LA at night,stuning,and that shoot out,just how do you top that.Thare are those that will slag off this great movie,but stuff them this is movie making at it's best,a true art form that Mann has mastered.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 3
RE: HEAT - 27/4/2007 7:01:03 PM   
Gothzilla

Have to say I thought it was very good movie. I still prefer Last of The Mohicans from Mann but Heat is almost as good.
If you like Heat then you should definately watch 36 which is frances take on a similar theme A fine piece of film and equally as good as Heat.

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 4
RE: HEAT - 27/4/2007 8:07:36 PM   
dj vivace

Heat is plain a simply perfection on every level, it is stunning and to get 2 of the finest actors on screen together in such an electrifying chat in the coffee shop is just amazing. Cannot fault this film in any way, even after numerous watches, the 3 hours running time never ever gets boring. May i recommend what is looked at as being France's answer to heat, its called 36 (or Quai Des Orfevres) and stars Gerard Depardieu and Daniel Auteuil, it is breathtaking

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 5
RE: HEAT - 27/4/2007 11:25:22 PM   
chris_scott01

I'd expect an onslaught of naysayers anytime now.  As for me, I love it.  I just don't want to get caught up in a debate again so I'll say very little.

I think there's already a thread for Heat. 

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 6
RE: HEAT - 27/4/2007 11:27:01 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

I'd expect an onslaught of naysayers anytime now. 

You mean 'I expect an onslaught of Harry Lime anytime now'

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 7
RE: HEAT - 27/4/2007 11:33:26 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

I'd expect an onslaught of naysayers anytime now. 

You mean 'I expect an onslaught of Harry Lime anytime now'

Actually no, I think he's voiced his opinion so many times about Heat that he just doesn't bother now (or so it seems).  I can't remember which thread it was but there was one for Heat that only had a handful of praises the rest were half and half or just plain haters.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 8
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 12:05:13 AM   
Fivefur

its easy to hate a movie, the hard part is to love it.

Heat is a character driven heavily plot driven movie that makes you think, you actually have to be smart enough to put all of it together, its so far ahead of the normal churn stuff that we are SOOO used to, intelligent movie for the real movie buffs. remebered mostly as noted above for the heist scene (which is the best ever committed to celluloid) it deserves better for the character's and the overall Mann thing that only he brings to the movies.

Whilst I'm here, Last of the Mohicans, havn't watched it in AGES and I need to again, coz it is a forgotten gem, DDL is awesome and supported very strongly throughout by a very experienced and real acting crew. The more I think about it, the more I think it deserves way more love than it actually gets. Got in on tape only (widescreen tho) so will watch again this weekend or just go buy the DVD.....mmmmmmmmm, my collection deserves the DVD. decision made.

Satipo: Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here.
Indiana: That's what scares me.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 9
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 12:30:56 AM   
Lydia_H

I really love Heat, I found McCauley such an involving character and thought it was truly a phenominal performance from De Niro behind the role. Someone so cold, robotic and methodical slowly transforming into someone so aimless and delicate. I was totally invested into McCauley and I was so upset with the finale, it's pretty rare that I feel so much for a character. Kilmer's turn as Chris was also very moving I thought, all the supporting performances are fantastic.

Mann's direction is superb as well, full of beautiful, urban scenery and the pace is very comforting for such a sprawling film. I've grown pretty tired of Pacino's performance though, it's typically excessive and the more I watch the film the more he seems to drift away, and his scenes seem secondary to those with McCauley and everyone else.

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 10
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 12:56:28 AM   
Gothzilla

quote:

May i recommend what is looked at as being France's answer to heat, its called 36 (or Quai Des Orfevres) and stars Gerard Depardieu and Daniel Auteuil, it is breathtaking

HA ! beat you to it my man. One post above yours. With a bit of luck between us we can get 36 the attention it deserves.

Actually I may even start a thread for it.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 11
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 1:38:55 AM   
Fivefur

need to look this one out Goth

Gimme a week or 2

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 12
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 4:56:51 AM   
Gothzilla

its right up your street mate. Let us know what you think. I reckon its a top movie.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 13
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 10:23:59 AM   
Bubbahhotep

A french Heat awesome they do cracking Horror films will have to give 36 a shot seen it in the shops always thought it looked rather good it even refrences heat on the blurb.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 14
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 11:40:24 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fivefur

Gimme a week or 2

I promise you will not be disappointed with 36, its breathtaking. Here's my review..

29 September 2006
23:04

36 is an amazing film, thrilling, brutal and emotionally effective. Both leads give 2 of the best and most disciplined performances i've seen in a long time. The direction is incredible with each scene a work of art. Sudden bursts of seriously agressive violence, and enough emotional moments to make even the strongest of viewers feel that emotional punch make this film stand out from all other films in its genre. It's billed as the French 'Heat' and is just as good as that classic. Even the films major shoot out scene is on a par with the awesome shoot out scenes in Heat. This film has it all and is directed with such ease, but also with immense passion and understanding. You really feels the characters pain, and that is an achievement all by itself these days. The only reason this film gets 4 stars and not 5 is that the second half doesnt quite match up to the explosive, jaw dropping first half. However the second half is still much much better than most films around, but due to how good the first is you cant help but feel just a little disappointed, but then that doesnt make it a bad film, just one of the best first halves to any film i've ever seen.

And not having Last of the Mohicans in your collection is blasphemous! Get it now i say. Every couple of months i get the urge to watch it again, and every time is like the first time for me, its that good. Love it

< Message edited by dj vivace -- 28/4/2007 11:41:35 AM >

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 15
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 11:58:19 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

quote:

Gimme a week or 2

I promise you will not be disappointed with 36, its breathtaking. Here's my review..

29 September 2006
23:04

36 is an amazing film, thrilling, brutal and emotionally effective. Both leads give 2 of the best and most disciplined performances i've seen in a long time. The direction is incredible with each scene a work of art. Sudden bursts of seriously agressive violence, and enough emotional moments to make even the strongest of viewers feel that emotional punch make this film stand out from all other films in its genre. It's billed as the French 'Heat' and is just as good as that classic. Even the films major shoot out scene is on a par with the awesome shoot out scenes in Heat. This film has it all and is directed with such ease, but also with immense passion and understanding. You really feels the characters pain, and that is an achievement all by itself these days. The only reason this film gets 4 stars and not 5 is that the second half doesnt quite match up to the explosive, jaw dropping first half. However the second half is still much much better than most films around, but due to how good the first is you cant help but feel just a little disappointed, but then that doesnt make it a bad film, just one of the best first halves to any film i've ever seen.

And not having Last of the Mohicans in your collection is blasphemous! Get it now i say. Every couple of months i get the urge to watch it again, and every time is like the first time for me, its that good. Love it

Ashamed I am, but surely having the widescreen tape version counts for something! Actually your right it doesn't, I'm a dork!

I will purchase it at the same time as 36!

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 16
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 12:09:16 PM   
dj vivace

Bless you fella. Let us know your thoughts on 36, the more people who watch this film the better.

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 17
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 12:15:29 PM   
evil bill

Damn my flexable friend is under pressure again,must get 36 now what bank job will i do this time

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 18
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 12:32:01 PM   
VincentHanna

Heat is easily my favourite film ever.

I rented 36 a couple of months ago after reading (probably on this very forum ) of its greatness.

Enjoyed 36 so much, bought it.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 19
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 4:17:35 PM   
Biggus

My review.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=111435

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 20
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 9:17:39 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

Bless you fella. Let us know your thoughts on 36, the more people who watch this film the better.

paid full dollar dude 20, it better be up to scratch, the good lady wants to watch Devil Wears Prada so we got a fight!

got Last of the Mohicans for a fiver tho..........

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 21
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 9:51:01 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

paid full dollar dude 20, it better be up to scratch, the good lady wants to watch Devil Wears Prada so we got a fight!

got Last of the Mohicans for a fiver tho..........

Bargain  20 a bit strong for 36, did you look on Amazon? Well, i promise you, its worth every penny. Just hope you enjoy it now and don't hunt us down like dogs if your not as impressed as the rest of us.

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 22
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 9:53:35 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Damn my flexable friend is under pressure again,must get 36 now what bank job will i do this time

http://www.amazon.co.uk/36-Quai-Orfevres-Daniel-Auteuil/dp/B000GE2KNA/ref=sr_1_1/202-5771473-3951857?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1177793532&sr=1-1 

Here you go, 5.99 is the cheapest. Go get it Evil Bill and enjoy!!!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 23
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 9:55:01 PM   
directorscut

Terrific Spinotti cinematography.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 24
RE: HEAT - 28/4/2007 11:46:17 PM   
24Dan

For me it takes a while to get going but its a pretty good film.

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 25
RE: HEAT - 30/4/2007 12:35:51 PM   
BigKovacs

36 was pretty good, strong leads and an involving plot but it was far too long and the gun fights were a bit shoddy. Its worth a rent but Im not too fussed about buying it.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to 24Dan)
Post #: 26
RE: HEAT - 1/5/2007 6:18:36 PM   
Ellroy

Great film, Michael Mann's finest achievement to date imo. I also loved 36.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 27
RE: HEAT - 1/5/2007 11:56:44 PM   
Lang

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1295115        yip 36 rocks

in heat the wrong character survived

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 28
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 7:06:40 PM   
Bubbahhotep

For me it could have gone either way I would have liked Deniro to Win in the end it would have been just as good. Both characters were imense some say Pacino is over the top in Heat I think he's the right ammount of intimidaiting and loud and brash he's got a little man complex. This thread is more aboud 36 than heat.

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 29
RE: HEAT - 2/5/2007 10:19:28 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bubbahhotep

For me it could have gone either way I would have liked Deniro to Win in the end it would have been just as good. Both characters were imense some say Pacino is over the top in Heat I think he's the right ammount of intimidaiting and loud and brash he's got a little man complex. This thread is more aboud 36 than heat.

lets get down to basics

if your a bad sonofabitch then you want De Niro and the opossite for shit face (I mean Pacino)

for me.....well read the above line, yeh it finished badly as we are more and more being forced towards badness, lets face it I took a whole wad of A4 paper from the office the other day! Im BAD so BAD, but the principl;e is there I think as a society we are slipping into the darkness and the Abyss (not Cameron's)

would the film have worked better for a De Niro  success.....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think so, maybe not popular but fucking making a statement that the Studio would NEVER have forked out for!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> HEAT Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI