Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Empire - kings of the back track

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: Empire - kings of the back track Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 1/5/2007 7:36:28 PM   
xim123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: xim123

So which review ends up on the website as the 'definitive' one?

As I've said a couple of times above, the cinema review generally remains as the definitive one online.

So you did Helen, sorry I seem to be not reading things properly these days. 

I still think it's slightly confusing offering the At Home reviews as an alternate viewpoint. Why wasn't The Fountain used for the Movie Trial feature, surely this would have been a better place to put forward an opposing view to the main review?

It doesn't happen so much now but in the past I've had friends flick through my Empire to see what DVD to rent.  Having a 1 star review for a love-it-or-hate-it film is misleading isn't it?  (And I know that people should read the content of the reviews and not rely on the score but that's not what happens).

By the way, the only part of this issue I've read yet is The Fountain review, the 1 star caught my eye and I was curious.

My Film Diary

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 61
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 1/5/2007 7:48:16 PM   
MohadGlub

quote:

but I don't think we're doing the readers a disservice by offering them a different point of view instead.

I dont disagree with you. What I do think you do a diservice to your readers by doing is allowing shody, groundless criticism to go to print, a criticism which was blundering and offensive as well as childish.

The one star rating is fine, Im not so stubborn as to refuse any opinion other than my own but I still havent heard any comment on the nature of Ian Nathan's review content- which is just as dissapointing.

(in reply to xim123)
Post #: 62
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 1:11:01 AM   
enemysprout

I think the whole alternative review business is a great thing, especially when the reviewer spends the whole first paragraph making it clear it's an alternative, but the review itself did seem a tad childish for something with so many big words.

If you think I've just insulted you, it probably wasn't my intention

(in reply to MohadGlub)
Post #: 63
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 3:03:12 PM   
Evil_Bob

No chance he could come on and defend himself is there. I'm sure you've had these arguments with him already Helen seeing as you wrote the original review but is afraid of us or something?

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to enemysprout)
Post #: 64
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 3:17:01 PM   
Biggus

Last King of Scotland also dropped a star in the DVD review. I have yet to see a DVD review of The Departed as well or have I missed it?

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 65
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 3:25:39 PM   
Helen OHara

No check discs were sent out for The Departed, so we didn't review it as we would have had to make it up.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 66
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 3:31:35 PM   
Evil_Bob

Last king of Scotland deserved to drop a star. Strange how when it did there was a valid explanation for it presented professionally and objectively.
Could have done with a reappraisal of the Departed too. There must have been somebody there who didn't think it was all that great.

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 67
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 3:54:17 PM   
TheRonin

quote:

Could have done with a reappraisal of the Departed too. There must have been somebody there who didn't think it was all that great.

ORIGINAL: Evil_Bob

*Grin* Yes, yes, there must have. I would like to hear from someone who was not overcome with The Departed phenomenon, but again, hopefully, the review would be PERTINENT.

Despite the strong feelings I have about The Departed, I would be completely opposed to it receiving as shameful a treatment as The Fountain. It's unbelievable that such a review was released to the public... Seriously, does working for a magazine of Empire's prestige come with no responsibility?

< Message edited by TheRonin -- 2/5/2007 3:55:18 PM >

It's hard to tell whether the world we live in is either reality or a dream.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 68
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 9:46:47 PM   
lord of the pies

From what I can see the issue here isn't about having a definitive review, having two viewpoints on a film is interesting and I think something that Empire should continue doing.

The issue for me here is that such a poorly written, childish even insulting review was published in a respected and well written magazine.

Join The Church of JJ today!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=23&key=&NID=0#2414995

(in reply to TheRonin)
Post #: 69
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 10:23:45 PM   
MohadGlub

quote:

The issue for me here is that such a poorly written, childish even insulting review was published in a respected and well written magazine.

Yes, that IS the issue- and the issue which STILL hasnt been adressed.

(in reply to lord of the pies)
Post #: 70
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 2/5/2007 11:36:59 PM   
TheRonin

An issue that probably will never be addressed, because despite directly attacking and insulting a movie's ENTIRE fan base AND making a joke out of his status as a film critic and subsequently of the entire magazine that supports his reviews, succeeding in angering a number of readers on top of the aforementioned film's fanbase, Ian Nathan still hasn't got the balls to say something for himself.

(in reply to MohadGlub)
Post #: 71
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 3/5/2007 12:12:11 AM   
VincentHanna

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheRonin
Ian Nathan still hasn't got the balls to say something for himself.

......Apart from his review, you mean?
He must have known he'd cause some discontent with that review, but this has always been a film that seems to have deeply divided people into "love/hate" with very little in between.

Fair play Empire, I say, for letting someone be so honest. Really, I do mean that, far too many reviews (I don't mean Empire's specifically) are very similar. For someone to say they really don't rate something (when everyone else seems to praise it) isn't seen very often.
Personally, I loved The Fountain but that's just me.

Ian's welcome to his opinion and his review.

< Message edited by VincentHanna -- 3/5/2007 12:22:55 AM >

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to TheRonin)
Post #: 72
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 3/5/2007 12:39:24 AM   
TheRonin

quote:

......Apart from his review, you mean?
He must have known he'd cause some discontent with that review, but this has always been a film that seems to have deeply divided people into "love/hate" with very little in between.

I'm sorry, but what REVIEW are you talking about? The issue at hand is not whether Ian Nathan or anybody else for that matter, was or was not allowed to have a differing oppinion from the initial one stated by Empire. As many of the above posters, I welcome variety within views on a certain movie and I will respect any oppinion, so long as I am offered valid proof in support of said oppinion, especially when we are referring to that of a film critic.

The problem is that mr Nathan did not write a review. He just jotted down a series of what I can only call bitter commentaries in a very childish manner. He brought no valid arguments to substantiate his claims and he insulted a rather large category of people with his affirmations. Nowhere in his 'review' did I see a critical oppinion on the movie. Nowhere in his 'review' did I see objectivity. Nowhere in his 'review' did I see pertinent reasoning for claiming the film is inferior or worthy of his unbridled hatred and mockery. THAT is the problem.

Ian nathan did not demonstrate any sort of courage through his written intervention. All he demonstrated was that he can stoop very low. What Mr Nathan did was kick his counterpart under the table and then serenely take off, and THAT was COWARDLY.

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 73
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 3/5/2007 12:49:01 AM   
VincentHanna

I take what you're saying on board, but at the end of the day, it doesn't bother me.
I was far more interested in the original review that Helen O'Hara did for the cinematic release.

Like I said, Ian's welcome to his opinion and "review", I personally refuse to let it bother me. I'm confused though - when was it ever said that a review had to be particularly objective? I don't mean in Empire as such, I mean generally.

< Message edited by VincentHanna -- 3/5/2007 12:50:00 AM >

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to TheRonin)
Post #: 74
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 3/5/2007 1:24:08 AM   
TheRonin

Yeah, I understand what you are saying... but the fact that it doesn't bother you does not mean that it does not bother others and the thread is full of examples of people that consider his approach insulting or at least irritating.

And what I meant by objectivity was the ability to distance one's self from petty influences, look at the bigger picture and offer a perspective of that bigger picture to your readers while providing some conclusive arguments to support that vision. Maybe fairness is a more fitting term

I think that a reviewer that works for a publication has some sort of obligation to readers to be fair... and again, Mr Nathan was not. And again, this is not a protest against his opinion, an opinion he is more than entitled to have, it is a protest against the way in which he chose to express that opinion, denoting a dire lack of fair-play...

Post #: 75
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 3/5/2007 1:30:04 AM   
VincentHanna

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheRonin
And what I meant by objectivity was the ability to distance one's self from petty influences, look at the bigger picture and offer a perspective of that bigger picture to your readers while providing some conclusive arguments to support that vision. Maybe fairness is a more fitting term......this is not a protest against his opinion, an opinion he is more than entitled to have, it is a protest against the way in which he chose to express that opinion

Thanks for the clarification, I understand where you're coming from here. Fair points you've made. And with that......good night!

(in reply to TheRonin)
Post #: 76
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 3/5/2007 9:09:53 AM   
Sleepy

I know in the past that when it comes to the DVD review Empire sometimes try to diverge from the normal plain review of the film, their argument being that it is coming hot on the heels only a few months later and so to keep things fresh they go for something a little bit different.

Though I think in this case, were there appears to be such polar opinions on the film - I haven't seen it myself so can't say one way or the other - it may have been best if they had taken the Empire Movie Trial approach and gave over suitable space for each side to present their reasons.

When it comes to the evil intentions of man, I'm always optimistic.

Post #: 77
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 3/5/2007 11:00:42 AM   
Larry of Arabia

I have to say, that review of The Fountain on DVD did stick out like a sore thumb. So much for keeping it in Empire's house style. More like something you'd find on a blog than a review.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Sleepy)
Post #: 78
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 4/5/2007 9:34:47 PM   
Orbital

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

No, my point is that Empire have a tendancy to review a film on release and heap muchous praise on it then if the film happens to be disliked or not very well received they then back track and say 'oh we hated it all along' simply to fall in with public opinion, regardless of who reviewed it.

That's my point.

Jim

Some other poor reviews that have been re-edited or should be IMO

films like :

Lady in the Water by Ian Freer ,Superman Returns ratings
Nikita , The Ant Bully review by Olly Richards , Crying Game
Gilia Murray's Live Flesh, JackArse the movie
Freedom Writers  & Before Sunset by Liz Beardsworth , review Pearl Harbor
Ian Nathan and his thoughts on Down in the Valley or The Terminal or Alexander
The Pianist , Anna Smith's review of Akeelah And The Bee
Speed-2, Crank by Nick De Semlyen
Save the Green Planet or The Family Friend by Patrick Peters
ATOC,  Fletch Lives, Kim Newman on Goya's Ghosts or 'Hills have Eyes part 2'
Lost in Translation, Scott Russon's Just Married, Die Hard with a Vengeance
Blair Witch, David Parkinson's review of Man Push Cart

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 79
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 11/5/2007 10:50:55 PM   
Spider

Ian Nathan has always been a reviewer who I have noticed as being a an interesting read, often for his controversial opinions and usual mix of humour and eloquence, but his review for The Fountain has lost him a lot of respect from me.

I know this argument is somewhat being repeated over and over again, but I still thought I'd throw in my thoughts. I think it's a great idea to have an alternative opinion in the DVD section (I actually think that in general the DVD star rating is more accurate because it doesn't rely on the first impact of cinema reviews), and I haven't seen the film so I can't say whether I agree with the rating, but I have to say it was probably the worst written piece I've ever seen in the magazine, controversial or not. If Nathan was trying to cause controversy and discussion, he could far more effectively have done so by offering some constructive and interesting criticism of the film, rather than the irrelevant and frankly childish nonsense that he did write. I don't know if Empire is trying desperately to keep friends with him, given the fact he is a well regarded film writer, but any editor worth their salt would have taken one look at that review and thought "I'm simply not publishing this".

Of course when I do see the film I will do so with an open mind, his review has not affected me at all, but it is a shame that such a ludicrous piece is allowed to be published, potentially putting many people off what according to many people is a great film. True, Nathan is entitled to his opinions, and people don't have to take his opinion as fact, but one can't deny that reviews in Empire have an impact on what you might want to watch, if they are going to be written on this level in the future then I hope this will stop being the case.

This coupled with some very dodgy pieces for the Movie Trial section from Nathan have certainly caused me to be very cautious of his writing in the future. Poor show Empire.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 80
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 12/5/2007 12:04:06 PM   
UTB

Perhaps it's time to drop the star ratings?

People could then just read the review and make up their own minds instead of turning nazi whenever a star is dropped or added...

Just a thought.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 81
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 12/5/2007 3:48:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

People could then just read the review and make up their own minds instead of turning nazi whenever a star is dropped or added...

Just a thought.

I don't know how much of this thread you have read but the issue isn't the review. I wasn't a massive fan of the film and would have enjoyed a critial review of the film to go with the positive cinema review. But the review did not offer any real criticism of the film, instead focusing on the fans of the film. It would be like doing a review of Star Trek and keep going on about Trekkies. Its the quailty of the review which is the problem.

And still amazed that The Fountain got such a small piece in the DVD section.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 82
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 13/5/2007 11:01:20 AM   
Spider

quote:

Just a thought.

What a stupid post, as everyone has said it doesn't really have anything to do with the star rating (as I said, I haven't even seen it), it's to do with the awful review. It's also nice to have some sensible and professional justification if you're going to give one star. Read the thread.

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 83
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 13/5/2007 12:10:03 PM   
UTB

Terribly sorry. Shan't do it again.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 84
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 13/5/2007 1:40:58 PM   
Spider

quote:

Terribly sorry. Shan't do it again.

You better not!!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 85
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 18/5/2007 1:25:58 AM   
Mason Verger

Another review for Empire's hall of shame.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 86
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 18/5/2007 12:37:25 PM   
Morgan 81

Remember the infamous Two Towers review? That was the mother of all backtracks.

"I've had my fun, and that's all that matters."
-- Father Fintan Stack

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 87
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 18/5/2007 1:10:45 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morgan 81

Remember the infamous Two Towers review? That was the mother of all backtracks.

What? Didn't it just go from "amazing!" to "really good"? Didn't it do that for most people?

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Morgan 81)
Post #: 88
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 18/5/2007 2:27:02 PM   
Morgan 81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C
What? Didn't it just go from "amazing!" to "really good"? Didn't it do that for most people?

No, it went from four-star review tinged with disappointment to five-star, it's-all-good review. The reviewer tacked on a weak mea culpa when it was discovered by people on the forums.

"I've had my fun, and that's all that matters."
-- Father Fintan Stack

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 89
RE: Empire - kings of the back track - 18/5/2007 2:44:08 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morgan 81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

No, it went from four-star review tinged with disappointment to five-star, it's-all-good review. The reviewer tacked on a weak mea culpa when it was discovered by people on the forums.

I don't remember that... but it sounds vaguely familiar. It is a 4 star film though.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Morgan 81)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> RE: Empire - kings of the back track Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI