Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread Page: <<   < prev  94 95 96 97 [98]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 20/7/2012 11:52:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

Had a blu ray marathon of all six films this week.A fantastic experience as the films have never looked and sounded better.

Haven't gotten round to watching most of the OT extras yet ( watched the prequel extras first when I first got the set and that took some time as there is so much to get through!).

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2911
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 26/8/2012 11:33:09 PM   
nutteronabus

Just been announced that the Episode II and III 3D reissues are happening in September and October 2013.

Yay...?

No, thought not.

“You think you’re so cultured because you’ve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!”

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 2912
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 27/8/2012 12:40:31 PM   
simonmckergan1

I always look forward to watching Star Wars on the big screen, I just hope the 3D is better on these two than it was for TPM.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to nutteronabus)
Post #: 2913
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 27/8/2012 1:46:48 PM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: nutteronabus

Just been announced that the Episode II and III 3D reissues are happening in September and October 2013.

Yay...?

No, thought not.

Yay!

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to nutteronabus)
Post #: 2914
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 28/8/2012 7:29:47 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I may give the originals a go, just to see them on the big screen again. Prequels. Hell no !

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 2915
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 9/8/2013 11:11:11 PM   
Mr Gittes

How the hell did this thread manage to fade away? Come on, people, liven it up! I've just had a one-per-night marathon of the original trilogy and I'm still buzzing

Anyway, Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are easily in my top 20 favourite films and they remind me of what motion pictures were made for. While not nearly as good as its two predecessors, I still really like Return Of The Jedi. So, all in all, an amazing trilogy that showcases big-budget filmmaking at its finest.

As for the prequels...*sigh*...

But you've heard all that before. If there's anyone alive out there, speak up now and help me revive this thread. I find these lack of posts disturbing. (sorry, couldn't resist)

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 2916
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 11/8/2013 12:13:36 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Had a blu ray marathon of all six films this week.A fantastic experience as the films have never looked and sounded better.

Haven't gotten round to watching most of the OT extras yet ( watched the prequel extras first when I first got the set and that took some time as there is so much to get through!).

Talk about a late reply, but I was a little underwhelmed by the blu ray extras. You'll find better making-ofs on youtube. There was some groovy stuff though, don't get me wrong; my favourite was the Empire Strikes Back retrospective, with those fairly recent interviews of Lucas, Williams, Kasdan and the late Irvin Kershner. I loved that.

And the menu designs were pretty groovy too

Post #: 2917
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 12/8/2013 7:29:44 PM   
rich

But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!

Must do a rewatch soon. Have no intention of getting the Blu Ray versions.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 2918
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 12/8/2013 9:51:45 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!

Must do a rewatch soon. Have no intention of getting the Blu Ray versions.

Youre missing out.The films have never looked or sounded better than on Blu.

Revenge Of The Sith in particular is absolutley spectacular on the format.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2919
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 12/8/2013 10:09:00 PM   
rich

Oh I don't rate the prequels and the Blus have too much meddling involved.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 2920
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 13/8/2013 9:27:38 AM   
Mr Gittes

The blu ray quality is fantastic, especially for Empire; the sound will blow you away. As for the changes, I either skip them if I can (like Jabba's appearance in A New Hope) or just try and block them out of my mind (all that CGI shit in Mos Eisley). I'd say it's worth it to see the originals in HD. I mean, there's really no irksome changes made to Empire (aside from replacing Boba Fett's voice ), and that's the best film of the lot so you can't complain too much with that one...

...BUT that goddamn "NOOOOOOO!!!" added in Jedi is just fucking unforgivable, and reason enough for any Star Wars fan to not want the blu-rays.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2921
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 13/8/2013 6:30:10 PM   
rich

You tried to rationalise it and ended using the angry face, haha. Well I didn't want to get into this debate, but no, I have zero reason to watch anything but the older DVDs, even outside the tampering the colour saturation is better and it all feels the way it should be.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 2922
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 14/8/2013 10:16:07 AM   
Mr Gittes

Fair enough. Was just giving you the pros and cons (the main ones anyway). I certainly understand you not getting the BR boxset, and I'm not saying I necessarily wouldn't have bought it anyway, but it was a Christmas gift so I couldn't well go "Maaaaaan, this ain't the original versions. What do I look like to you, a sellout?!" *throws it on the ground*

I just hope we see the original versions given the proper treatment, and soon. Because if any movie deserves to be seen and heard in pristine HD, it's Star Wars.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2923
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 18/8/2013 12:25:55 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Come on!

I know its not the perfect set of films that all Star Wars fan's dreamed of, but its not all that bad! I mean, in Jar Jar we have a creation that is so annoying and dumb as to border on cult appeal now! Don't believe me? Check out all the Youtube spoof's of Binks! Some of the stuff is hilarious!

I remember Robot Chicken doing a very fun skit of Jar Jar and Vader! I was pissing myself with laughter!

And the prequel trilogy is responsible for the excellent cartoon shows like Clone Wars.

So its not all bad!

I know it could have been so much better but at least we got to see:

1. One of the most bad-ass Sith's since Vader, in Darth Maul!
2. Not to mention Maul's double edged Light Sabre! Freakin' awesome!
3. The Pod Race was excellent...
4. A naked C3P0!
5. A cameo of two 'Blade Runner Spinners' in Attack of the Clones!
6. Sir Christopher Lee as Darth Tyrannus AKA Count Dooku!
7. Yoda kicking ass!
8. Jedi's kicking ass!
9. Palpatine's transformation into Pizza Face!
10. Chewie going ''rruaaarrh''
11. Battle of Kashyyyk

And so much more! Not just the score! So as a Star wars fan, I have to admit that I did attain some enjoyment from the prequel trilogy, but not as much as I did with the original trilogy.

A little late here, but if I can pitch in my two cents...

(plus it'll show that I'm not a "butt-hurt fanboy" who finds no merits in the prequels)

1. The music and sound design (of course)
2. The villains, namely Maul and Dooku (it's Sir Christopher Lee for crying out loud)...and, most of all, The Emperor (I refuse to call him Darth Sidious). Hell, even Jango was cool. I'm not so hot about Grievous though.

3. The final lightsaber battle in The Phantom Menace. I don't like all the others because they tend to look too choreographed and involve too much CGI, but the one in TPM includes actual sets and has more grit to it. I often like to look at that sequence and imagine a great movie preceding it, with an engaging story and characters you cared about; because it would have made an amazing showdown.

4. The fight between Obi-Wan and Jango on Kamino. I'm very fond of this scene mainly for two reasons - 1) it has enough practical elements to keep the action engaging, and 2) the lightsaber is taken out of the equation.
5. The asteroid sequence with Jango trying to kill Obi-Wan. (well, it's pretty obvious what my favourite storyline was in Attack of the Clones) Apart from the cutaways to little Boba's horrible acting, this scene is just great Star Wars, with astonishing sound design and - I'll say it - very impressive digital effects.

There are quite a few to mention in Revenge Of The Sith, so I won't even start there. However, for me it's still let down by the poorly written Anakin material. And I hate hate HATE how often we see a fucking lightsaber get used. Even in the scene where Palpatine reveals himself, Anakin lights his up for barely 5 seconds before turning it off again. I know it was supposed to create tension but you could've just done that with good dialogue.

And I don't care what you say; the Emperor should NOT have a lightsaber, nor should Yoda. Instead of turning into cartoons, they should've had their showdown using purely the force (how amazing would that have been?!).

*sigh* There I went. Just don't get me started. I'll leave it at that

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 18/8/2013 12:30:49 AM >

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2924
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 18/8/2013 12:32:25 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

And I don't care what you say; the Emperor should NOT have a lightsaber, nor should Yoda

Agreed here

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 2925
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 23/8/2013 9:52:12 PM   
scurvy76

Personally I love the Phantom Menace!

Sure Jar Jar gets under the skin after a while- but can be easily ignored :P

Its got the Pod Race- amazing
Tatooine- my fav Star Wars planet
Coruscant- stunning city world- amazing effects work
Watto- my all time fav CGI character
And Of Course the epic lightsaber duel- the Best duel in all Star Wars movie- best sword fight in any movie I can remember actually. Double-Edged lightsaber is an instant classic.

SO I dunno WTF everyone is complaining about???

Attack of the Clones

Amazing Coruscant chase scene!
Street level Coruscant scenes with Obi Wan's detective work
The water planet
Jango and Obi wan fight- brilliant
The asteroid battle/chase
The Genosian arena battle
Full on clone war battle
Yoda finally shows off his lightsaber skills- unbelievable

SO I dunno WTF else you want in a Star Wars movie??
Each one has at least 4-5 things unique an spectacular.

< Message edited by scurvy76 -- 23/8/2013 10:00:06 PM >

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2926
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 23/8/2013 11:15:26 PM   
rich

Spectacle isn't what makes a good film.

"Special effects are just a tool, a means of telling a story. People have a tendency to confuse them as an end to themselves." - George Lucas

Meanwhile...

(in reply to scurvy76)
Post #: 2927
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 30/8/2013 3:25:05 PM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: scurvy76

Personally I love the Phantom Menace!

Its got the Pod Race- amazing
Tatooine- my fav Star Wars planet
Coruscant- stunning city world- amazing effects work
Watto- my all time fav CGI character
And Of Course the epic lightsaber duel- the Best duel in all Star Wars movie- best sword fight in any movie I can remember actually. Double-Edged lightsaber is an instant classic.

Attack of the Clones

Amazing Coruscant chase scene!
Street level Coruscant scenes with Obi Wan's detective work
The water planet
Jango and Obi wan fight- brilliant
The asteroid battle/chase
The Genosian arena battle
Full on clone war battle
Yoda finally shows off his lightsaber skills- unbelievable

SO I dunno WTF else you want in a Star Wars movie??
Each one has at least 4-5 things unique an spectacular.

Imagine all of the above scenes in films that actually tell a good story...

(in reply to scurvy76)
Post #: 2928
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 30/8/2013 3:56:52 PM   
AxlReznor

The story was good. It was the script and central performances that were the problem. But then, it's not like the script/performance of Mark Hamill in the original trilogy was up to much, either.
I'm not a huge fan of The Phantom Menace, but I like Attack Of The Clones and love Revenge Of The Sith. None of them are perfect films, but I do believe they get an unfair rap, mostly from people who had already made them in their head before they'd ever seen them. Even The Phantom Menace has some moments that save it from being the disaster everyone seems to think it is.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 2929
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 30/8/2013 5:56:21 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

The story was good. It was the script and central performances that were the problem. But then, it's not like the script/performance of Mark Hamill in the original trilogy was up to much, either.
I'm not a huge fan of The Phantom Menace, but I like Attack Of The Clones and love Revenge Of The Sith. None of them are perfect films, but I do believe they get an unfair rap, mostly from people who had already made them in their head before they'd ever seen them. Even The Phantom Menace has some moments that save it from being the disaster everyone seems to think it is.

That's a lazy accusation. There are countless arguments - perfectly valid arguments - that have been presented to highlight where and how those films fail. I think most people, myself included, wanted the prequels to be great. I wanted them to be great so much that I remember trying to stick up for The Phantom Menace after its release when almost everyone else thought it was crap. But when I got the VHS and watched it again I realised just what a mess the whole thing is. Then I watched AOTC and that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. A truly terrible film.

You may have a point in the sense that I watched Sith expecting the worst because that's what the previous two had conditioned me for, however perhaps because of that it was the one I liked the most, or more accurately disliked the least.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2930
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 12/12/2013 11:34:04 AM   
The Hooded Man

I'd go as far and say it's hip to slag off the Star Wars prequels. The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones but they aren't the stinking messes people would have you believe. You'd swear George Lucas had made something on a par with Grown Ups 2 the way people go on about them. Are we allowed to talk about The Clone Wars TV series in here or is that strictly for the TV section?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 2931
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 13/12/2013 8:09:21 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I'd go as far and say it's hip to slag off the Star Wars prequels. The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones but they aren't the stinking messes people would have you believe. You'd swear George Lucas had made something on a par with Grown Ups 2 the way people go on about them. Are we allowed to talk about The Clone Wars TV series in here or is that strictly for the TV section?

Its Star Wars so by all means talk about The Clone Wars cos its absolutley brilliant!

And any person who says that Darth Sidious and Yoda shouldnt have lightsabers are not Star wars fans at all!

What did everyone think of the finale of Clone Wars?Watched it on Blu recently and the end of Ahsokas story was very sad.

The fight between Sidious, Maul, and Savage was amazing!

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 2932
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 14/12/2013 1:59:32 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I'd go as far and say it's hip to slag off the Star Wars prequels.

It's too mainstream to be hip

Meanwhile...

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 2933
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 15/12/2013 10:23:19 AM   
NCC1701A

I think Ep 4-6 are great while Ep1 and 3 both have some great stuff in them but Ep 2 is a really really bad film.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2934
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 15/12/2013 10:10:57 PM   
Cool Breeze

I love all six movies.

While i prefer the original trilogy overall, in many ways the prequels are better in many areas such as lightsaber fight choreography, imaginative alien worlds, and costume design.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 15/12/2013 10:13:33 PM >

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 2935
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 12/5/2014 10:17:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Following on from a discussion on another forum about the extended universe no longer being canon, I got to reminiscing about the many happy hours I spent reading the books in the EU and thought about reading them all again, some for the first time in about 15 years.

I haven't bought any in about 10 years, but I had most of the novels (no young adult novels though, and only one or two graphic novels) that were released up until about 2003 that encompassed the period from about a decade before to two decades after A New Hope, basically the Han Solo trilogy up to the first book of the New Jedi Order. Books have been written since that take place in the same time period but they obviously won't affect the storylines in the books I already own.

However, The X-Wing series, I only have the first few novels. Other books in the EU take place after this series and aren't really affected by it. At least that's my memory of it, having read beyond them and understood clearly what happened in subsequent books but I thought maybe if I was going to make a proper go of it I should try to at least have the entire series of books for the era of Star Wars I was planning to read.

But then I had a brainwave. What if I was to read absolutely everything there was to read in the Star Wars universe? Novels, comic, e-books, short stories, young adult novels, the lot? In chronological order no less. And what about the Clone Wars TV which I've never seen. Yeah, why not?

So working my way through THIS I compiled a list of all I needed to read and watch. It was kind of a pain, especially when it comes to the comics, trying to find out just what collection features what comic. But anyway, I've calculated that's it'd cost about £1100 to buy copies of all I need. So as much as I'd like to, I don't think I'll bother

Still, I have come across some storylines that I'd like to give a go, and trying to get hold of the novels only is a feasible prospect, I just won't be going into full-on nerd mode and getting hold of everything. For now though, I'm going to read what I have and perhaps get the novels that will complete the Rebellion, New Republic and New Jedi Order eras. And then I'll see how it goes, I might just continue with novels but start right at the beginning Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void, or maybe try and get hold of some the the Omnibus collections for the comics.

Whichever route I take I'm quite looking forward to delving back in to the EU.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 2936
Page:   <<   < prev  94 95 96 97 [98]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread Page: <<   < prev  94 95 96 97 [98]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI