Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread Page: <<   < prev  94 95 96 [97] 98   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/4/2012 11:49:37 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Come on!

I know its not the perfect set of films that all Star Wars fan's dreamed of, but its not all that bad! I mean, in Jar Jar we have a creation that is so annoying and dumb as to border on cult appeal now! Don't believe me? Check out all the Youtube spoof's of Binks! Some of the stuff is hilarious!

I remember Robot Chicken doing a very fun skit of Jar Jar and Vader! I was pissing myself with laughter!

And the prequel trilogy is responsible for the excellent cartoon shows like Clone Wars.

So its not all bad!

I know it could have been so much better but at least we got to see:

1. One of the most bad-ass Sith's since Vader, in Darth Maul!
2. Not to mention Maul's double edged Light Sabre! Freakin' awesome!
3. The Pod Race was excellent...
4. A naked C3P0!
5. A cameo of two 'Blade Runner Spinners' in Attack of the Clones!
6. Sir Christopher Lee as Darth Tyrannus AKA Count Dooku!
7. Yoda kicking ass!
8. Jedi's kicking ass!
9. Palpatine's transformation into Pizza Face!
10. Chewie going ''rruaaarrh''
11. Battle of Kashyyyk

And so much more! Not just the score! So as a Star wars fan, I have to admit that I did attain some enjoyment from the prequel trilogy, but not as much as I did with the original trilogy.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 19/4/2012 11:55:07 AM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2881
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/4/2012 12:21:24 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

4. A naked C3P0!
7. Yoda kicking ass!
8. Jedi's kicking ass!
11. Battle of Kashyyyk

See the thing is pretty much everything you've listed is all window dressing, the same stuff every prequel fan uses to defend the PT. Stuff like "Jedi's kicking ass!" and "double edged Light Sabre!" is all fine and well but none of it makes up for shite characters and an appalling script. Like Simon Pegg said its just a "jumped up firework display of a toy advert" and all the special effects in the world cant compensate for a shoddy story, just watch Transformers if you don't believe me.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2882
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/4/2012 12:25:51 PM   
jcthefirst

I agree with everything Spaldron said.

However, I do love the Clone wars series.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2883
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/4/2012 12:32:33 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nihilism in the UK

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Watching Episode 3 right now. Not nearly as bad as I remember it, but still pretty bad.

However, the Order 66 scene is still really affecting.

], but I did not love Kit Fisto's death - went down like a bitch! I thought he's have a bit more fight in him but he went out by the hands of an old asthmatic codger!

I pretty much felt the same way. It would of been great if that scene had been a proper 4 vs 1 fight, to show just how powerful Palpatine was. Even though he was capable of immediately killing the 3 support Jedi, it would of been cool to see him 'toy' with them first.

Yeah. he disposed of them much too quickly and you never really got a sense of their power or his power either because of that. That scene had a lot more potential to really show how the emperor was the ultimate badass.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Nihilism in the UK)
Post #: 2884
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/4/2012 1:01:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

4. A naked C3P0!
7. Yoda kicking ass!
8. Jedi's kicking ass!
11. Battle of Kashyyyk

See the thing is pretty much everything you've listed is all window dressing, the same stuff every prequel fan uses to defend the PT. Stuff like "Jedi's kicking ass!" and "double edged Light Sabre!" is all fine and well but none of it makes up for shite characters and an appalling script. Like Simon Pegg said its just a "jumped up firework display of a toy advert" and all the special effects in the world cant compensate for a shoddy story, just watch Transformers if you don't believe me.

I know mate! My post was a bit tongue in cheek anyway. But as a Star Wars fan, I would be the first to say that I was sorely disappointed with the prequels, but as a fanboy I did derive enjoyment from the series. Its far from perfect of course - Lucas should've got someone else to script it, and maybe in all honesty - direct it aswell! I wonder what Star Wars in the hands of someone like J.J Abrams would look like? on the evidence of the Star Trek reboot, much better I would think.

And Star Wars is way better than freakin' Transformers, even the prequels no matter how shoddy! I would rather trade a 1000 Transformers movies for 1 Star Wars prequel movie!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 19/4/2012 2:32:23 PM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2885
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/4/2012 8:46:43 PM   
Sutty

I've just watched a documentry called The Legacy of Star Wars or something. All about the mythical elements that were either put in to the movie by Lucas or what people project in to the movie themselves. It was actually very good. Most of all it made me realise that it is YEARS since I sat and watched these movies properly. Especially the original (and best) trilogy. Over the years I have caught snippets on tv and such like, but actually sitting and watching them properly again just hasn't happened. Listening to the music and seeing clips on the doc really gave me a thirst to watch them again, which I am going to do this weekend (hopefully!).

I'm actually kind of curious, and a little excited, as to how I'll view and feel about them now, having not seen them for a good ten years or more. Boy, time flies!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2886
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/4/2012 9:22:58 PM   
Cool Breeze

I wouldnt have let JJ Abrams near Star Wars.Imagine all those lens flares with the lightsabers!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2887
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/4/2012 11:23:01 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I wouldnt have let JJ Abrams near Star Wars.Imagine all those lens flares with the lightsabers!

Maybe we can wear shades to cancel it out

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 2888
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 20/4/2012 4:31:35 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

I've just watched a documentry called The Legacy of Star Wars or something. All about the mythical elements that were either put in to the movie by Lucas or what people project in to the movie themselves. It was actually very good. Most of all it made me realise that it is YEARS since I sat and watched these movies properly. Especially the original (and best) trilogy. Over the years I have caught snippets on tv and such like, but actually sitting and watching them properly again just hasn't happened. Listening to the music and seeing clips on the doc really gave me a thirst to watch them again, which I am going to do this weekend (hopefully!).

I'm actually kind of curious, and a little excited, as to how I'll view and feel about them now, having not seen them for a good ten years or more. Boy, time flies!

Yeah I've seen that too. Pretty much just stumbled across it on YouTube. I'm assuming it's from the Blu Rays. It was really good.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2889
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 21/4/2012 3:42:17 PM   
kavinlorence

Good movie. Have watched few of its parts.

(in reply to Jaina Skywalker Solo)
Post #: 2890
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 25/4/2012 2:04:03 PM   
fuzzy

Some cool on-set pics from the OT...

http://thechive.com/2012/04/23/a-few-rare-photos-on-the-set-of-the-only-star-wars-movies-that-matter-43-photos/

(in reply to kavinlorence)
Post #: 2891
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 27/4/2012 7:37:42 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Watching Episode 3 right now. Not nearly as bad as I remember it, but still pretty bad.

However, the Order 66 scene is still really affecting.

], but I did not love Kit Fisto's death - went down like a bitch! I thought he's have a bit more fight in him but he went out by the hands of an old asthmatic codger!

I pretty much felt the same way. It would of been great if that scene had been a proper 4 vs 1 fight, to show just how powerful Palpatine was. Even though he was capable of immediately killing the 3 support Jedi, it would of been cool to see him 'toy' with them first.

Yeah. he disposed of them much too quickly and you never really got a sense of their power or his power either because of that. That scene had a lot more potential to really show how the emperor was the ultimate badass.

If George felt the need to dispose of 3 Jedi Knights within seconds I wish he could have come up with something that really showed the Emperors awesome power, like a force lightning ball that takes out the other three while Mace barely protects himself with a force-push shield.

Or something a little less DragonBall maybe , that's just what I came up with while typing this. I like it a lot more than a few crappy un-choreographed moves though.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 2892
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 28/4/2012 12:44:46 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Wasn't that fight scene thrown in last minute ? I'm sure I read somewhere that what we have in the film is actually a lot bigger than was intended, Certainly feels like it was rushed.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2893
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 28/4/2012 2:32:42 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Wasn't that fight scene thrown in last minute ? I'm sure I read somewhere that what we have in the film is actually a lot bigger than was intended, Certainly feels like it was rushed.

Yes it does look rushed. And coming back to my point, Jedi fan favourites like Windu and esp. Fisto deserved more than just what was shown. It wouldn't have hurt if Lucas made it more spectacular maybe like the Maul vs Jinn/Kenobi fight.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 2894
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 14/7/2012 12:36:53 AM   
Nihilism in the UK

It occured to me recently that the title: Revenge of the Sith, is quite poorly chosen. It's the Jedi who do most of the ass-kicking in this film.
Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.
And Sidious knew he would of lost to Yoda, so runs away.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 2895
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 14/7/2012 4:04:58 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

It occured to me recently that the title: Revenge of the Sith, is quite poorly chosen. It's the Jedi who do most of the ass-kicking in this film.
Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.

Joke, right ???

Post #: 2896
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 14/7/2012 5:18:44 PM   
rich

Not sure if serious...

Meanwhile...

Post #: 2897
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 15/7/2012 7:23:03 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

quote:

Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.

Joke, right ???

Why do you think I'm joking?

Post #: 2898
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 15/7/2012 11:59:22 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.

Joke, right ???

Windu dies. Yoda is the one who runs away and pretty much all the Jedi are killed off to the point of near extinction.

Post #: 2899
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 16/7/2012 2:22:20 AM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.

Joke, right ???

Windu dies. Yoda is the one who runs away and pretty much all the Jedi are killed off to the point of near extinction.

Of course Windu dies, but as far as his fight with Sidious goes, he emerges the winner. I still think it's Sidious that retreats from the fight. The Jedi are trained to sacrifice themselves selflessly for the greater good, remember.

Post #: 2900
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 16/7/2012 2:34:56 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.

Joke, right ???

Of course Windu dies, but as far as his fight with Sidious goes, he emerges the winner. I still think it's Sidious that retreats from the fight. The Jedi are trained to sacrifice themselves selflessly for the greater good, remember.

This doesn't make any sense. Windu didn't sacrifice himself, neither did any of the other Jedi, they were all killed. And how is the Empire and Sith running the galaxy considered "the greater good"?

Post #: 2901
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 16/7/2012 2:43:00 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.

Well, the Sith do manage to take over the galaxy, so not a bad result for them.

All things digested have a similar hue.

Post #: 2902
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 16/7/2012 9:45:49 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.

Joke, right ???

This doesn't make any sense. Windu didn't sacrifice himself, neither did any of the other Jedi, they were all killed. And how is the Empire and Sith running the galaxy considered "the greater good"?

No of course the Empire running the galaxy isn't the greater good. I was saying Yoda would of sacrificed himself to preserve the republic. I thought that would of been obvious. And Windu didn't need to sacrifice himself, as far as he was concerned, his fight was over and won.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2903
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 16/7/2012 10:18:41 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

Well, the Sith do manage to take over the galaxy, so not a bad result for them.

Hence Revenge... so not a poorly chosen title at all. Well contextually I suppose, as a title it's pretty campy and seems to be a throwback to the original Return of the Jedi title for purely fan service reasons.

< Message edited by rich -- 16/7/2012 10:20:12 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 2904
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 18/7/2012 12:56:06 AM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anakin beats Dooku.
Obi-Wan beats Grevious.
Windu beats Sidious.
Obi-Wan beats Vader.

Joke, right ???

I doubt a Sith would would class being disarmed as winning and they don't exactly share the same morale compass as the Jedi. Lightning your arse out of a window, plummeting to your death........................win !
Anyway wasn't the cowering from Windu and continually force lightning even though it was disfiguring himself just part of the manipulation of Anakin ? He also screams "unlimited power" as he throws Windu out which would suggest so.............. I think that whole scene is fucking awful BTW

Post #: 2905
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 18/7/2012 6:31:12 PM   
kumar

quote:

I doubt a Sith would would class being disarmed as winning and they don't exactly share the same morale compass as the Jedi. Lightning your arse out of a window, plummeting to your death........................win !
Anyway wasn't the cowering from Windu and continually force lightning even though it was disfiguring himself just part of the manipulation of Anakin ? He also screams "unlimited power" as he throws Windu out which would suggest so.............. I think that whole scene is fucking awful BTW

Im glad you finished with that. All that scene gives me is confusion. Its pretty pathetic.

quote:

quote:

Yes it does look rushed. And coming back to my point, Jedi fan favourites like Windu and esp. Fisto deserved more than just what was shown. It wouldn't have hurt if Lucas made it more spectacular maybe like the Maul vs Jinn/Kenobi fight.

Bear in mind after that there was still Yoda vs Palpatine and Obi wan vs Anakin (which went on forever). I think it may have been a bit overkill. Regardless though, following boldly walking in through the door, claiming to arrest Palpatine, something far more spectacular should have been presented over a few twirls of a lightsabre and a pathetic limp death.

I want to like star wars, but man it has serious problems throughout all of the films.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 2906
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/7/2012 11:02:59 PM   
homersimpson_esq

So this has probably been mentioned here before, but I've decided that next time I have eleven consecutive hours free, I'm watching Star Wars in the Machete Order.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 2907
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 19/7/2012 11:16:59 PM   
rich

But .... that means watching the prequels. It also seems to revolve around watching the Special Editions...

Vaguely related I have no idea how to get my hands on the Despecialized Editions due to technical limitations but would love you long time should a copy finds its way over to me....

Meanwhile...

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2908
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 20/7/2012 10:13:59 AM   
Cool Breeze

Sneak peak at Clone Wars season 5.Looks fantastic!

http://starwars.com/watch/tcw_season5_comiccon_sneak_2.html

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 20/7/2012 10:15:59 AM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2909
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 20/7/2012 9:36:37 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Vaguely related I have no idea how to get my hands on the Despecialized Editions due to technical limitations but would love you long time should a copy finds its way over to me....

PM

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2910
Page:   <<   < prev  94 95 96 [97] 98   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread Page: <<   < prev  94 95 96 [97] 98   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI