Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 30/4/2007 8:23:38 PM   
parsonage84

Dont know much about the novels am afraid

Anyone know if they show the clone wars cartoons on tele at all??

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 91
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 30/4/2007 9:39:21 PM   
Jaina Skywalker Solo

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

Jaina, this post sums up again mostly what I remember from childhood. Having to send for the Emperor figure because he wasn't available in the shops, same with Nien Nunb, and how the Tie Fighter Pilot figures feet stunk of raspberries for some bizzare reason!

Lol, you know I'm not sure I ever noticed that about the pilots feet!  Wasn't it great though?  People are terribly cynical about the merchandise these days but as a child those toys were the bees' knees.  I remember how devastated my brother and sisters and I were when the little glass roof fell off the Millenium Falcon's cockpit (it was sellotaped back, of course ).  My ex found one of his old Star Wars jigsaws a while back, I was so tempted to pinch it.  It's great when you stumble across something from back then; I found my old Chewbacca tin pencil-case last year, it conjured up such nostalgia.  And I think that sums it up really; it's not just about great films, it's about childhood nostalgia.

quote:

I love hearing from people who see Star Wars as something they grew up with. I suppose it was the same for Ewan McGregor, as he said so on numerous occasions that it was MORE than a film to him. It was memories also.

Absolutely; and it can't have hurt that his uncle was in there kicking ass!

quote:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/608457/Star_Wars_Clone_Wars_Vol_1/Product.html
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/734825/Star_Wars_Clone_Wars_Vol_2/Product.html

Oh wicked, those look fab! 

I'm not sure if they're on the box or not, parsonage.

Jedi scum and proud of it

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 92
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 30/4/2007 10:15:30 PM   
danbo1138

whooo a starwars thread,hi folks i lurve the starwars,anyone as excited as me about the upcoming tv shows
heres a little cg yoda for that ass

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Jaina Skywalker Solo)
Post #: 93
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 30/4/2007 11:14:53 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

Dont know much about the novels am afraid

Anyone know if they show the clone wars cartoons on tele at all??

They were shown on Cartoon Network as a lead up to RotS - I'm sure you can find them on the internet without buying them. Personally I'd say buy them, alot of it's more fun than the prequel movies.

try:

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/2/161

< Message edited by rich -- 30/4/2007 11:21:26 PM >

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 94
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 1/5/2007 3:56:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaina Skywalker Solo

I have tried, in vain, to explain to people what Star Wars means to me, but most just do not understand.  As you said, it's so much more than just three films; it's so many happy childhood memories spent watching them with my siblings, and being frightened by the Wampa and the Sarlacc; memories of feeling so happy when Han was released from the Carbonite (I've always had a major crush ); memories of playing with my brother's AT-AT (how cool?!) and literally hundreds of figures and toys (he had Boba Fett's nifty Slave 1 ship with the walk-the-plank type thing at the end, and Han, and Luke, and Vader, and Leia in Boussh disguise - which was mine, goddamnit - and the Millenium Falcon, the TIE Fighters, etc, etc), memories of imagining I was Leia, but with a lightsabre (I'm really showing myself up here as a geek!), etc.

I remember when I first saw the poster of little Anakin with the shadow of Darth Vader - it was in the now-closed Odeon on the South Bridge in Edinburgh - and I just stood there and shivered.  It was Star Wars that I hadn't seen before, and it was a brilliant feeling.

To be honest, I think you either get it or you don't.  But, interestingly enough, I've spoken to several LotR fans who seen to understand completely.  Because they also have a whole mythology and universe that they can buy into completely.  I imagine that in 15 years time, there will be a generation of LotR fans obsessing over their childhood heroes in the exact same way that we do.  

Although it'll never be as good, of course.  

I know how you feel, in regards to both Star Wars and LOTR. They do both hold a special place in my heart.

I really don't want to turn this into a SW/LOTR thread because a) the notion that you can only love one of them is absurd and b) they are really no more worthy of comparsion than say, Toy Story and Casablanca, so I'll keep this short.

It is entirely true that my love for LOTR holds no bounds. Star Wars might be the more entertaining, but nothing in the entire Star Wars saga comes lose to the spine-tingling awe that LOTR creates within me, or the sheer emotionally engaging intensity of so many, many scenes. For me, LOTR towers over SW in every way I can think of.

And yet, I still love Star Wars to an unbelivevably stupid degree. It's no exaggeration to say that these films changed my life. I was always a fan of film but it was these that made me almost obsessed, wanting to watch just about every film I could and over the last 10 years my house has become crammed with all kinds of filmic memorabilia.

I first saw A New Hope 10 years, 1 month and 4 days ago at the Odeon in Liverpool with my elder brother and my younger sister. It was the first time in 16 years of living I had been truly gobsmacked at the cinema. Afterwards, in a state of pure giddyness, we went to buy the soundtrack, and spent a happy hour in KFC talking about it. When we got home, I was shocked to hear both my parents talking about Darth Vadar, Chewbacca and R2-D2. My mum is not a fan of science-fiction, I couldn't believe that she'd actually seen this film 20 years earlier in the cinema and loved it.

In many ways, I'm more invested in the mythology of Star Wars than I am with LOTR, mainly because of all the books that continued the saga (I still have only ever read The Hobbit and FOTR). I've got almost 100 SW books, half of which are novels and guides which multiplied the universe of the films tenfold.(I haven't bought any in about 5 years though, there's a great many I probably don't even know exist)

It's safe to say that I love Star Wars and I can see me loving Star Wars for a very long time to come.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 4/5/2007 4:32:14 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 95
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 1/5/2007 11:35:13 AM   
King_Bard

Talking about the novels...i havent read any past the last Vuzhan vong novels..is it true Luke skywalker dies

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 96
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 1/5/2007 12:18:06 PM   
simonmckergan1

That's the speculation.  That he might bite it in the next novel.  I hope not.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 97
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 1/5/2007 1:05:56 PM   
Seth_Gecko

does anyone remember the ewoks films and the cartoon.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 98
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 1/5/2007 2:16:38 PM   
King_Bard

Heard of them but i have never watched them....
I wonder who dies then..i hope its not Kyp Durron...his one of my fave characters

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 99
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 1/5/2007 3:07:02 PM   
Seth_Gecko

If you go on youtube you can watch bits of them. I remember watching the ewok films when i was a kid i think i enjoyed them if i can remember rightly i dont no what they are like now.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 100
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 1/5/2007 3:08:04 PM   
Seth_Gecko

i was well young when i watched them.

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 101
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 1/5/2007 3:22:33 PM   
simonmckergan1

Loved Ewoks and Droids cartoons when I was a kid.  The Ewok live action films were ok as far as I can remember.  They were made for tv but might (I'm guessing) got a cinema release in Europe. 

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 102
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 2/5/2007 8:12:26 AM   
simonmckergan1

Morning all.

Post #: 103
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 2/5/2007 10:11:49 AM   
Seth_Gecko

I think the Ewoks films were called Caravan of courage and Battle for Endor i think.

Post #: 104
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 2/5/2007 3:20:35 PM   
King_Bard

they sound a bit dodgey ....i might leave them well alone

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 105
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 9:50:59 AM   
Seth_Gecko

They do sound a bit dodgy come to think of it.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 106
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 9:57:34 AM   
Seth_Gecko

I think George Lucas should do a prequel from the Phantom menace showing Siths vs Jedis i think that would make a quality film. What does everyone else think.

< Message edited by Highcontrast -- 3/5/2007 10:03:00 AM >

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 107
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 10:40:43 AM   
danbo1138

i think thats a great idea...call it SITH WARS...the whole darth bane saga,less gungans more evil violence

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 108
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 11:05:31 AM   
Mikey C

I think any additional Star Wars films are a bad idea in every way. The story's been told.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 109
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 11:55:56 AM   
rich

I think we need more Knight of the Old Republic

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 110
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 12:22:09 PM   
Seth_Gecko

The film could tell the story of Darth Sidius when he was an apprentice.

< Message edited by Highcontrast -- 3/5/2007 12:23:35 PM >

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 111
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 12:41:48 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: Highcontrast

No no no no!

That's why he's scary! You can't provide any more backstory for him - you must not humanise your big baddies! They only managed it with Vader because he wasn't the real baddy.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 112
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 5:30:21 PM   
Jaina Skywalker Solo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

quote:

No no no no!

That's why he's scary! You can't provide any more backstory for him - you must not humanise your big baddies! They only managed it with Vader because he wasn't the real baddy.

Yeah, I have to agree with this.  Humanising baddies is not a good idea; just look at what happened with Hannibal Lecter.  As Mikey said, Vader only worked because he was more "lost" than evil.

If they were going to make more Star Wars then I guess the Expanded Universe wouldn't be a bad place to start. 

My heart says "Yes, do it!", but my head says "That's enough already".  Maybe in 20 years time...

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 113
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 7:21:21 PM   
parsonage84

Dont think they should do any more films based on any of the charcters in any of the previous films, but do like sound of a film set like 2,000 years before based on one of the first jedi v sith battles with loads of lightsaber battles between the two

Post #: 114
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 7:34:30 PM   
Jaina Skywalker Solo

That would be pretty cool, but they'd have to come up with some brilliant characters to match up with the likes of Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Han, Luke and Leia.

And given George's more recent contributions to the Star Wars universe (like Jar Jar and the omnipresent Kiwis) then that might not work.

Those lightsabre battles would kick ass though.

How would we all feel about a different director attempting a Star Wars film?  One who reveres and respects the Star Wars mythology and universe as much as we do?  After all, ESB is unarguably the best SW film, and the only one not directed by George...

Wouldn't it be great seeing some like Spielberg take it on?!  Not that it will ever happen, mind.

Post #: 115
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 3/5/2007 7:53:58 PM   
parsonage84

Think letting someone else have a go would be better, plus leaves the orginal six as Lucas's story, where if Lucas did another think everyone would want a skywalker or someone related to one of his origninal creations so with new director best way of starting a whole new story.

Not too sure who though but sure theres plenty of directors love to do it

Post #: 116
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 4/5/2007 9:33:50 AM   
Seth_Gecko

I agree if someone was to do another StarWars film about Siths vs Jedis then i think someone else should do it  and it would have to be completly different characters.

Post #: 117
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 4/5/2007 9:52:52 AM   
parsonage84

quote:

I agree if someone was to do another StarWars film about Siths vs Jedis then i think someone else should do it  and it would have to be completly different characters.

Be the best way of doing another film, plus with so many novels out sure must be a couple good enough to turn into a script

Actually surprised no other director has tried to make one yet unless Lucas is un willing to let someone else do one

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 118
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 4/5/2007 11:24:12 AM   
danbo1138

i'll bet that a few years after the tv shows wind up we will get another movie/s set in the starwars universe,hopefully the sith and jedi war that yoda hinted at in the phantom menace

Post #: 119
RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread - 4/5/2007 11:52:33 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

Be the best way of doing another film, plus with so many novels out sure must be a couple good enough to turn into a script

Actually surprised no other director has tried to make one yet unless Lucas is un willing to let someone else do one

Well, there was the whole "this will be the last trilogy" statement a few years back, but I think one of the main hurdles for other directors doing Star Wars movies is that Lucas is no longer a member of the Directors' Guild of America, so any director who is a member would have to quit to do a Star Wars, and then wouldn't be able to work at a studio again. I don't know how Kershner got around this, or even how Robert Rodriguez does it now.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Star Wars: The Empire Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI