Sports Night?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Sports Night? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sports Night? - 19/4/2007 10:15:19 PM   
Zaphod121

I was wandering whether this show was worth checking out, I love both West Wing and Studio 60, so is it any good?
Post #: 1
RE: Sports Night? - 19/4/2007 10:43:16 PM   
The Mighty

Yep, it's very good. Not as good as The West Wing, and it takes a few episodes to find its groove, but you can tell straight away that its written by Sorkin. I actually created a thread about the show a while ago, where posters convinved me to give the show a shot, and I didn't regret it. I've only seen the first season, haven't managed to get a hold of the second, but I'd definately reccommend it.

The tone is a bit off at times, it feels like they were pushing for a sitcom and the laugh track comes and goes at random moments. But it's very good.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 2
RE: Sports Night? - 19/4/2007 11:28:23 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

You should absolutely buy it. I got it a couple of years ago based on the strength of The West Wing, one of my best blind buys ever. It's only available on DVD in the U.S, the two seasons are packaged in one 'complete series' boxset.

It's not as good as The West Wing but is probably better than Studio 60. True, the laugh track is jarring but it very rarely pops up. And it's another fantastic ensemble cast - Felicity Huffman, Josh Charles and Robert Guillaume are particularly amazing.

It's a must have IMO for any Sorkin fan. Most people think an episode of TWW flies by when they watch, just wait to see what it's like with a 22 minute episode!

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 3
RE: Sports Night? - 20/4/2007 4:00:10 AM   
LB Jeffries

Sports Night is brilliant! It gets shown on ABC1 [sky - channel 185, freeview - channel 15, ntl - channel 161], although it's not currently in the schedule - but look out for it.

In the meantime if you want a small taster of how good the show is go here:

http://www.abc1tv.co.uk/index.html

In the video player in the centre of the page, scroll down to Sports Night at the bottom. Click on it to bring up a sub-menu beneath it. There are several clips from the show to wet your appetite. The clips 'Interview' and 'Loses It In Interview' star Joshua Malina and the second, in particular, is hilarious.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 4
RE: Sports Night? - 20/4/2007 12:20:31 PM   
elab49

I would say it isn't as good as West Wing - it is just different, one a half hour comedy one an hourlong drama. Chalk and cheese to some extent.

But it is superb.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 5
RE: Sports Night? - 20/4/2007 1:02:07 PM   
matthewforan

I have to agree with everything that has been said so far. It is a great show, Sorkin is a master when it comes to writing. I think you can get it on DVD not sure though it may just be region 1.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Sports Night? - 20/4/2007 1:16:10 PM   
elab49

The only option I'm afraid - it has never had a region 2 release although ABC did show it on cable last year. It might come back on that channel if you'd rather wait?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 7
RE: Sports Night? - 20/4/2007 1:21:58 PM   
Zaphod121

Nah, I'm not the waiting kind of guy, the complete collection is going for £25 on CDWOW

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 20/4/2007 1:22:15 PM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 8
RE: Sports Night? - 20/4/2007 1:39:36 PM   
elab49

Not quite the cheapest but certainly quicker than waiting for TV!

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 9
RE: Sports Night? - 20/4/2007 1:41:21 PM   
Zaphod121

Anyone know if it's going cheaper anywhere?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Sports Night? - 20/4/2007 3:36:27 PM   
elab49

DVDpacific for one - including postage.

Customs is always an issue, too, as it is a widish box set

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Sports Night? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI