Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Lord Of The Rings

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Lord Of The Rings Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 11:52:16 AM   
thomasp

Ok, its not that I dislike the genre and I think the book is ace but I felt let down by ROTK. There seems to be a tendency to lump them all together, the academy did, but I just don't think that the last hour and a half lives up to the previous dozen. Credit to Jackson, directing that lot is a huge achievement but he's only human and fumbled just before the touchline for me.

Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 61
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 12:18:32 PM   
Gothzilla

Hmmmm. ive just read this thread and its quite amusing that nearly all those who dislike this film are either called Darth something or have someone in their avatar waving a big glowstick around.

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to thomasp)
Post #: 62
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 12:29:50 PM   
King_Bard

I loved the books and that is the reason i dont like the LOTR movies.....Peter Jackson made too many unecessary changes....

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 63
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 2:18:32 PM   
The Summoned Muse

quote:

Peter Jackson made too many unecessary changes....

I love the books too but I generally accept the changes. Surely nobody misses Tom Bombadil too much - that's a whole section of the FOTR that I always skip past.

Personally I can forgive Jackson for any faults because, let's face it, nobody else was ever going to do a LOTR trilogy and he did it as well as, or better, than any fan could have hoped for.

The books and films are different experiences: if you want tremendous depth, read the books. If you want spectacle and grandeur, watch the films. Combined, the two experiences are fantastic.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 64
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 2:37:30 PM   
Gothzilla

quote:

I loved the books and that is the reason i dont like the LOTR movies.....Peter Jackson made too many unecessary changes....

Ok youre forgiven. I disagree with you though. I think all the changes were very necessary in the context of making a movie and having to maintain pace and plot. Visualization of a literary work is not easy and there have to be changes made. I dont know of any film adaptation that has not been altered in the scripting.
Peter Jacksons love of the book is evident if you watch the documentaries on the extended editions of the movies and I really do think he made the best movie he could at this point in time.
Lets face it if you HAVE to lose characters Bombadil is  the best to lose. Tolkien only included him because he initially intended him for a seperate short story and instead fitted him into LOTR, he was in fact there just to flesh out the story.

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to The Summoned Muse)
Post #: 65
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 3:53:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I watch the extended trilogy twice a year - only wish there was more! I could easily sit through 5+ hour versions of each movie

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 66
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 4:16:31 PM   
Timon

Here's a little known fact;

I was in NZ while they were doing the ROTK reshoots and my friend and I thought we'd go over to Wellington Studios to see if we could get extra parts (I'd be an ork, my mate a Rider of Rohan). We got there and saw the Minas Tirith sets as well as several men of Rohan walking around....before we were promptly thrown out by security. Worth it though.

Later saw the cast and crew chilling with the England Rugby team after they slaughtered NZ that night. Course they were in the VIP section and I was with the great unwashed.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 67
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 4:47:26 PM   
King_Bard

Well for start their was no reason to bring the elves to helms deep or the army of the dead to pelanor feilds...than theirs the descruction of Faramir and Denathors character.
And it was stupid to show Gandalf being beaten by the Witchking and Aragorn beheading the MOS...both of these things never happened in the books and........last but not least why oh why did Jackson make Sam leave Frodo,that would of never happened in the books....their are more but i cant be botherd to list them..

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 68
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 4:52:51 PM   
Timon

Personally I think most of the changes made helped the films giving it more of a dramatic edge and more to fight for.

Faramir's changes in the film were definately for the better as in the book he's a bit of a nampy bampy do-gooder that while the polar opposite of Boromir seems completely unfazed by the ring which I always thought was a tad odd considering its power.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 69
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 5:48:37 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobM70

Well, for it's not that  I am completely opposed to Fantasy. It's surely not my favorite genre, but some movies with the odd dwarf, magician or dragon I do like.
With LOTR it was just too much for me. I can see that a lot of labour and love for it's sourcematerial was put in to it, but honestly, I hated it.
The lack of any relativation or acceptable humour and the silliness of it all just put me off. Plus: if it all was crammed into a 90 minute movie, I probably would have liked it somewhat more, but this just went on and on and on.......

It's definitely a personal taste-thing, because some friends of mine are huge admirers of the book and the films, so what can you do....

Bob

Dude, i get you. At lest you refute why you don't like unlike those other two knobs above.

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 27/4/2007 10:16:45 PM >

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 70
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 5:55:09 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

Hmmmm. ive just read this thread and its quite amusing that nearly all those who dislike this film are either called Darth something or have someone in their avatar waving a big glowstick around.

StarWars is boring.  The plot is all over the place, it is not an ingenious plot that in book form took fifteen years to write by an intellectual at Oxford, there are huge plot holes, the story is terrible. All it is is cgi and a gay robot, a fag with a lightsaber and a walking carpet. I know, LOTRS is similar in film form, but at least it is an intellectually written book.

Gimli: walking carpet
Frodo: Fag with lightsaber (Sting and a ring)
Legolas: gay robot equivelant
And ther's cgi aplenty too.

See what i mean?

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 27/4/2007 5:56:13 PM >

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 71
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 6:18:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

I suppose a backlash is only natural when it comes to these films, but I have noticed Clerks 2 keeps being brought up. So what? The whole point of that rant is that Dante and the others are now the old guys who just don't get it - much like adults were about Star Wars in the 1970's. The subtext is that they just need to grow up and move on in life.  

Can't help but think if the Godfather was a made now Goodfella fans would say it sucks.

I think the films are classics and will continue to be seen as such for many many years, not much else to say that hasn't already been said.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 72
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 10:13:35 PM   
King_Bard

i hope your not calling me a knob for expressing my view....if you are your being a knob yourself....

Post #: 73
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 10:20:27 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Bard

i hope your not calling me a knob for expressing my view....if you are your being a knob yourself....

No no, you said why you didn't like it and that's fair enough, it was The Great Eye and darth Silas.Sorry dude, didn't mean to piss you off or nowt. They didn't really say why they hated it, they just came out and said it and that always really pisses me off when people don't give reasons as to why they don't like a film. It's not hard, i don't understand why people do that.....

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 27/4/2007 10:24:01 PM >

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 74
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 10:38:35 PM   
King_Bard

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

quote:

No no, you said why you didn't like it and that's fair enough, it was The Great Eye and darth Silas.Sorry dude, didn't mean to piss you off or nowt. They didn't really say why they hated it, they just came out and said it and that always really pisses me off when people don't give reasons as to why they don't like a film. It's not hard, i don't understand why people do that.....

oh........now i feel really stupid .....soz if  i was a bit mean

Post #: 75
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 27/4/2007 11:01:15 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

quote:

oh........now i feel really stupid .....soz if  i was a bit mean

I'm a big boy, i can take it. No you had every right to think i was talking about you, my fault should have been more specific!

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 76
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 28/4/2007 3:56:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Here's a little known fact;

I was in NZ while they were doing the ROTK reshoots and my friend and I thought we'd go over to Wellington Studios to see if we could get extra parts (I'd be an ork, my mate a Rider of Rohan). We got there and saw the Minas Tirith sets as well as several men of Rohan walking around....before we were promptly thrown out by security. Worth it though.

Later saw the cast and crew chilling with the England Rugby team after they slaughtered NZ that night. Course they were in the VIP section and I was with the great unwashed.

Timon, you jammy swine! I'm officially jealous now

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 77
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 28/4/2007 10:49:04 AM   
Led Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamdavidsmith

That looks strikingly similar to the old Spion Kop at Anfield:

I wonder if Jackson is a Kopite!

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 78
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 28/4/2007 6:06:01 PM   
simontchilds07

watching all three LOTR in one night on New Years Eve, drinking JD and diet coke, it doesnt get better...(maybe with naked women, who knows?)...

but watching Clerks 2 the whole argument is very funny, not sure which trilogy wins though...

Doug: Hey, Klaus, I got a question for you: why is it in your country that Hamburg and Frankfurt have nothing to do with hamburgers and hot dogs?Janitor: [In german voice] Why is your Lake Titicaca not filled with boobs and poop?

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 79
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 28/4/2007 7:56:17 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: simontchilds07

watching all three LOTR in one night on New Years Eve, drinking JD and diet coke, it doesnt get better...(maybe with naked women, who knows?)...

but watching Clerks 2 the whole argument is very funny, not sure which trilogy wins though...

LOTRS clearly.

(in reply to simontchilds07)
Post #: 80
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 28/4/2007 11:22:13 PM   
King_Bard

nah star wars is miles better than lord of the rings.....

Post #: 81
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 6/5/2007 7:04:30 PM   
princessa

LOTR (the 1st one) is one of my favourite films.  Its one of the few films i have seen where i can find no fault in it.  Not only that it actually lived up to the hype.  I had no intention of seeing this until i saw the trailer and then i was hooked.

Brilliant film although i must admit that i didn't enjoy Second and Third films so much.  Still they are good. 

One ring to rule them on and in the darkness bind them!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 82
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 6/5/2007 7:38:36 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

nah star wars is miles better than lord of the rings.....

I can guess you would think that!

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 83
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 6/5/2007 11:53:33 PM   
danbo1138

i like the rings movies but i love the books,far suprior.to many changes in the films for my liking...wargs for one (wolves not hyenas on steroids)then the scouring in the shire.tom bombadil...then the adding things that did not happen in the books,elves at helms deep?i did like the films but they were far from perfect.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

Post #: 84
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 7/5/2007 11:05:10 AM   
King_Bard

I could never understand why jackson decided to bring elves to helms deep.....

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 85
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 7/5/2007 11:09:56 AM   
Manchurian candidate

I fucking hate them.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 86
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 7/5/2007 11:19:16 AM   
King_Bard

What Elves or LOTR

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 87
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 7/5/2007 11:22:07 AM   
Manchurian candidate

Both.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 88
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 7/5/2007 11:29:03 AM   
Figures

I'm a massive Star Wars fan, but I love the books and I thought Lord of the Rings was masterpiece cinema.

Now if you asked me which Trilogy was better, I'd probably say Star Wars if only for the reason that Lord of the Rings is an adaption and the movies left some of my favorite parts of the novels out.  But there's room for both of them to be great

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 89
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 7/5/2007 11:57:29 AM   
Seth_Gecko

Lord of Rings are epics beyond beyond epics but i think Star Wars is better.

(in reply to Figures)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Lord Of The Rings Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI