Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Lord Of The Rings

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Lord Of The Rings Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 19/4/2007 1:46:15 PM   
TheGreatEye

LOTR is fucking shite.

The only redeeming feature it has is that cgi Dobby character who wants the ring all the time.

Oh and David Huddleston should've played Gandalf, instead of that crappy actor from Corrie.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 31
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 19/4/2007 8:03:27 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Hehe, Nice one

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamdavidsmith

Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises!

Fantastic

Anyway I found my old post of favourite moments.

This list isn't definitive. Apart from the first scene, the rest are in chronological order within the films. It's too hard to place them correctly.

"You shall not pass" - Actually, I'd rate the entire sequence from entering Dwarrowdelf to leaving Moria as my favourite bit. Balin's Tomb, the cave troll, surrounded by orcs, the falling steps and finally the Balrog. It's this final scene at Khazad-Dum that really sends shivers up my spine.

The Prologue - Sets up the history of the ring, gives us the tiniest glimpse into the epic scope of the world we will now enter.

The forming of the Fellowship -  The first time we see our heroes together. Some join through friendship, others loyalty. The first proper use of the Fellowship theme.

The Ring Goes South -Just after the Fellowship has left, and all 9 members walk past the camera in close-up. It's the scene used in the very first teaser, and the shot that made me think that this film could be something special.

Gollum/Smeagol  - "Murderer". Stunning on every level.

The Last March Of The Ents - Why do I get so upset at this? It's a bunch of talking trees. I'm not supposed to cry.

Gandalf and Eomer arrive at Helm's Deep - Just as Aragorn and Theoden have ridden out, to what could almost be certain death, Gandalf and the Rohirrim arrive, heading down towards Helm's Deep. The sun blinding the Uruk-Hai is the icing on the cake.

The lighting of the beacons - This scene should not work, but the music makes it magical.

Faramir leads the charge against Osgiliath - So sad, as we just know it will end badly. The cutting between Pippin singing makes it even more sorrowful.

The Ride Of The Rohirrim - Theodens speech, the epic size of the army, the awe-inspiring music, yet a very heartfelt centre with Eowyn and Merry shouting "Death, death"

There are so many other scenes I could include - Borormir's death, the exorcism of Theoden, the charge against the Mumakil, Weathertop, "Do not be so eager to deal out death and judgement", The Nazgul at the Prancing Pony, The Mirror of Galadrial, the appearance of Gandalf The White, the battle at the Black Gate, the Two Towers prologue, "For Frodo" . It goes on and on.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 23/4/2007 5:07:48 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 32
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 19/4/2007 9:23:33 PM   
coolstar

I like the trees they are part of tolkens world . They have a life just like the hobbits so they do what ever they can to stop the orcs .

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 33
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 1:52:16 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Many of these trees were my friends, I had known them, nut and acorn.

Saruman! A wizard should know better! Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! There is no curse in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of men, for this treachery.

They have business with the Orcs. My business, is with Isengard tonight, with the rock and stone! It is likely we shall go to our doom.. the Last March of the Ents...

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 34
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 1:56:07 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

Many of these trees were my friends, I had known them, nut and acorn.

Saruman! A wizard should know better! Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! There is no curse in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of men, for this treachery.

They have business with the Orcs. My business, is with Isengard tonight, with the rock and stone! It is likely we shall go to our doom.. the Last March of the Ents...

to quote randal in clerks 2..''even the fucking trees walked in those movies!''

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 35
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 1:57:47 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Have you got any of your own criticisms of the films or do you have to borrow everything about LOTR from Clerks 2?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 36
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 2:10:03 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Have you got any of your own criticisms of the films or do you have to borrow everything about LOTR from Clerks 2?
ok,the lotr films are overhyped,overpraised,overlong,boring,homoerotic pieces of shite.hope that helps.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 37
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 5:23:52 PM   
matty_b

Homoerotic? the words 'obsession' and 'denial' spring to mind...

Anyway, Smith is an immature nerd who can't handle the fact that there's another fantasy trilogy out there to rival his precious Star Wars.

Back OT though...theatrically I think Fellowship may still be the best - it has such an epic journey to it. Whereas I think The Two Towers has the best EE. For a middle part with no real beginning or end as such, it becomes such a better film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 38
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 6:44:10 PM   
kumar

I cant begin to list the number of things that blew me back in the trilogy. one of my favourites; after theoden does his rouding speech and the eorlingas kick some orc arse, they hear

a rumbling noise and the orcs begin to run. victory? no chance. as we look acoss the pellenor fields, a row of marching oliphaunts begins to descend upon our heroes. the heroes faces

panic, faces drop, but regain composure and sprint towards the Haradrim, to be greeted by arrows, steel chains and hooves.

fucking incredible!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 39
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 8:57:21 PM   
curtain twitcher

Who thinks Frodo  and Sam are gay? Me and my mates made a joke that when we went to see the third movie we would place bets to see if Frodo and Sam would get it on! Anyway,this trilogy is so good! I mean, i can't begin to describe how this trilogy blew me away! Once oyu see the extended ones, you can never watch the origionals again. I wouldn't have been bothered by staying in the cinema for about another 30 or 40 minutes watching the uncut stuff! I thought it was bad though how they cut out Saramauns death in the third movie in the cinema! It was one of the most crucial scenes  in the film and books! Everything was good about it, the music, the acting, the scenery, cgi and battles, the whole story is so good it makes me want to piss my pants-metaphorically. BTW is their going to be a Hobbit film anytime soon? Is Jackson going to direct it? I loved the book and when a movie of it comes out it will be fantastic!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 40
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 9:03:19 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGreatEye

LOTR is fucking shite.

The only redeeming feature it has is that cgi Dobby character who wants the ring all the time.

Oh and David Huddleston should've played Gandalf, instead of that crappy actor from Corrie.

He's called Gollum and Ian Mckellen is great actor. Was he in corrie or were you just being badly sarcastic? (Seriously btw) Have you read the books though? If you say they are shite i'm afraid i'll have to kill you. P.S., i'm not a geek defending my   "favourite film  of all time i wish i was in", i just want you to refute why you think it is shite that's all. Give me some justification godammit!

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 21/4/2007 9:14:35 PM >

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to TheGreatEye)
Post #: 41
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 9:13:12 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ok,the lotr films are overhyped,overpraised,overlong,boring,homoerotic pieces of shite.hope that helps.

Do you prefer the utter cack that was Alien vs. Predator? Judging by your comment to me about it being  a box office smash hit i guess yes. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Post #: 42
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 11:05:34 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

Who thinks Frodo  and Sam are gay? Me and my mates made a joke that when we went to see the third movie we would place bets to see if Frodo and Sam would get it on! Anyway,this trilogy is so good! I mean, i can't begin to describe how this trilogy blew me away! Once oyu see the extended ones, you can never watch the origionals again. I wouldn't have been bothered by staying in the cinema for about another 30 or 40 minutes watching the uncut stuff! I thought it was bad though how they cut out Saramauns death in the third movie in the cinema! It was one of the most crucial scenes  in the film and books! Everything was good about it, the music, the acting, the scenery, cgi and battles, the whole story is so good it makes me want to piss my pants-metaphorically. BTW is their going to be a Hobbit film anytime soon? Is Jackson going to direct it? I loved the book and when a movie of it comes out it will be fantastic!

ill be honest with you, when i was reading the book, and some of the pics for ROTK came out; in particlar the one where sam is

crying over frodo who appears to be "dead" from shelobs attack, i really did think they would end up gay.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 43
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 21/4/2007 11:33:12 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

ill be honest with you, when i was reading the book, and some of the pics for ROTK came out; in particlar the one where sam is

crying over frodo who appears to be "dead" from shelobs attack, i really did think they would end up gay.

Judging by some of the lines.

Sam: Mr. Frodo, what is it?
Frodo: Nothing, it's just a feeling.

Sam: Everywhere i turn there's a dirty great root sticking in my back!
Frodo: No Sam, that's just me.
Sam: Oh Mr. Frodo, it's so small!

Those last two lines i just made up though! (Above)

Shagrat to Frodo: I'm gonna bleed you like a stuck pig!
Sam:to Shagrat: Not if i stick you first!

< Message edited by curtain twitcher -- 21/4/2007 11:34:32 PM >

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 44
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 1:45:59 AM   
darth silas

there are plenty of frodo/sam brokeback mountain parodies on youtube for anyone whos interested.they really are funny!

Post #: 45
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 2:14:11 AM   
boaby

IMO Ssam and Frodo could've been ne of the all time blokey friendships in cinema history. It could've rivalled Red and Andy in Shawshank. It turned into a doe-eyed cheesefest. Sigh.

Merry and Pippin, on the other hand, was done brilliantly. Not a hint of cheese, well maybe a slight whiff of cheddar, but compared to Sam and Frodo it was dairy-free.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 46
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 2:41:52 AM   
thomasp

1)Jackson ruined the ending from the book.

2)The undead army in ROTK that looks just like slimer from 1984 is a total anti-climax to a battle that is pretty dull anyway. Jackson had already shod his load in the admittedly very good battle of Helms Deep.

3) If he hadn't have used so much slow motion in the closing segments it would have made the film mercifully shorter and a lot less gay (not that theres anything wrong with that)

4) Even if you do really like these films they don't need to be so long - I think I have watched them all twice now - Just think how many other, better films, that you haven't seen, that aren't about fairies, you could be watching.
x

Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 47
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 7:02:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

There are no fairies in these films.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to thomasp)
Post #: 48
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 12:15:16 PM   
BobM70

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

There are no fairies in these films.

No, how could you even think that!? That's a term maybe for children's books. This is adult stuff, dude!
It's about....erm...little people! About..well...elves! Talking and walking trees! Sorcerers! Creatures! Magic! You know...the real stuff. That sort of thing. Djeeeezzzz......pffft...fairies. How stupid can you get man!

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

Post #: 49
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 12:53:42 PM   
King_Bard

ROTK and TT were not especailly good films especially ROTK...FOTR was the best by far

< Message edited by King_Bard -- 15/1/2008 9:23:25 AM >

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 50
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 2:49:05 PM   
Seth_Gecko

3 of the best films ever made epic beyond epic nuff said.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 51
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 5:28:31 PM   
curtain twitcher

Did he mean that Frodo and Sam were fairies?

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 52
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 22/4/2007 9:10:43 PM   
coolstar

Peter Jackson done a fantastic job and not forgetting that this was an impossable film to make

I am going Deep Deep undercover

Post #: 53
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 23/4/2007 5:12:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'm currently listening to the extended soundtrack for The Fellowship. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the music for these films is superb. It compliments the imagery of the films perfectly, and there is no other soundtrack I can listen to in its entirety so often. Perhaps it's because I've listened to them so often, but with practically any moment on the soundtracks I can picture the scene it accompanies.

Much more better!

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 54
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 23/4/2007 11:39:42 AM   
King_Bard

I agree on that...the best thing about these movies by far is the music...Howard Shore did a brilliant job in that aspect..a pity Jackson and his crew didnt match up to it...

Post #: 55
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 23/4/2007 1:26:22 PM   
Seth_Gecko

To be honest everyones got a right to there opinion and each to there own but i dont know why some people on here are slating the lord of the rings trilogy.When i first watched the fellowship i was blown away by what an amazing film it was the acting the effects everything about it and by the time the  return of the king came out i was even more blown away especially the ending with the battle pretty mind blowing stuff it just looks superb. But if i didn t like fantasy films which i do i proberbly wouldn t watch it in the first place. Its like someone watching StarWars and not liking films with Spaceships in.

< Message edited by Highcontrast -- 23/4/2007 2:46:27 PM >

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 56
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 23/4/2007 1:50:25 PM   
KissMyConverse

to be honest, most people who hate these films either don't like the genre or think that they're over-hyped. i personally love them

I was nothing more than an almost innocent bystander.

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 57
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 23/4/2007 5:11:15 PM   
BobM70

Well, for it's not that  I am completely opposed to Fantasy. It's surely not my favorite genre, but some movies with the odd dwarf, magician or dragon I do like.
With LOTR it was just too much for me. I can see that a lot of labour and love for it's sourcematerial was put in to it, but honestly, I hated it.
The lack of any relativation or acceptable humour and the silliness of it all just put me off. Plus: if it all was crammed into a 90 minute movie, I probably would have liked it somewhat more, but this just went on and on and on.......

It's definitely a personal taste-thing, because some friends of mine are huge admirers of the book and the films, so what can you do....

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to KissMyConverse)
Post #: 58
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 24/4/2007 12:38:35 PM   
stargirl991

I agree with kissmyconverse. I totally love them. But I also agree that they go on and on and on...Thats the only bad thing about them. Do u know thinking about making the hobbit but if they do I don't think Peter Jackson is going to direct it.

Stewie Griffin: Soooo Broccoli, mother says you're very good for me. But I'm afraid I'm no good for you.

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 59
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 24/4/2007 6:19:21 PM   
King_Bard

I thought sam ramni was favourite to do the hobbit...i hope he does, he might actually stick to the books unlike peter jackson....

(in reply to stargirl991)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Lord Of The Rings Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI