Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 23/11/2011 11:24:27 PM   
MartinBlank76

I always watch the extended cuts every year leading up to christmas. A kind of anniversary thing trying to recreate the feeling of christmas 01-03 just waiting for each film to come out. Fellowship was tonight and it felt just like watching it for the first time again. The same jaw on the floor type moments, the emotions that got me all over again, whether it was Gandalfs 'death', boromirs last stand, even good ol samwise stating he wont leave frodo in the boat at the end. And so many marvellous shots especially during the action scenes, the camera swooping up and over the action as we move from aragorn to where boromir is valliantly trying to protect merry and pippin and the heartstopping, feels like you are right in the middle of it, of the mines of moria.

Still a masterpiece then, two towers and return sometime in the next couple of weeks. First time I watched it with the surround sound as well, loved the little moments when the ring is whispering someones name and you can hear coming from the different speakers. Lets hope the Hobbit manages to live up to the first three, after taking so long to get it going moving from del toro to jackson, I have sort of let it slip to the back of mind, but after watching Fellowship again tonight, I am beginning to get excited. Roll on this time next year!

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 301
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 23/11/2011 11:40:37 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Looking forward to getting the Extended movies on BR this Christmas and finally checking out those three documentaries. 

They're a great watch. Seen them a few times each now.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 302
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 23/11/2011 11:54:12 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

I always watch the extended cuts every year leading up to christmas. A kind of anniversary thing trying to recreate the feeling of christmas 01-03 just waiting for each film to come out. Fellowship was tonight and it felt just like watching it for the first time again. The same jaw on the floor type moments, the emotions that got me all over again, whether it was Gandalfs 'death', boromirs last stand, even good ol samwise stating he wont leave frodo in the boat at the end. And so many marvellous shots especially during the action scenes, the camera swooping up and over the action as we move from aragorn to where boromir is valliantly trying to protect merry and pippin and the heartstopping, feels like you are right in the middle of it, of the mines of moria.

Still a masterpiece then, two towers and return sometime in the next couple of weeks. First time I watched it with the surround sound as well, loved the little moments when the ring is whispering someones name and you can hear coming from the different speakers. Lets hope the Hobbit manages to live up to the first three, after taking so long to get it going moving from del toro to jackson, I have sort of let it slip to the back of mind, but after watching Fellowship again tonight, I am beginning to get excited. Roll on this time next year!

This ^

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Looking forward to getting the Extended movies on BR this Christmas and finally checking out those three documentaries. 

They're a great watch. Seen them a few times each now.

I don't even want to count how many times I've watched the EE's by now. And if you include the whopping four commentary tracks (some of which I've played more than once) then its no wonder my dvds are almost knackered. Must get the blurays soon.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 303
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 24/11/2011 12:01:22 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

About 45 times for each film for me

This seems like a good place to link to my 50 Favourite LOTR moments from last year - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2816207

I think it's possible to tell from that that I'm quite the fan

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 304
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 24/11/2011 12:06:49 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

PJ gives some info on the location shoot.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10768284

Sweeeeet!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 305
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 24/11/2011 7:04:06 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Spot on

quote:

About 45 times for each film for me

Nice one! Is that for the Blu Rays only? That was about how many times I saw them at the cinema, don't know how many times I've watched them on DVD

I got the EE Blu Ray set recently so planning some viewing time very soon.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 306
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 24/11/2011 7:12:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nope, just at the cinema and DVDs. Don't have Bluray!

I haven't seen the extended cuts for 3 years now though. I've cut back on my watching from the earlier years. Most recently I've seen the theatrical cuts, not that I mind because they were accompanied by a live orchestra

Much more better!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 307
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 29/11/2011 7:25:55 PM   
Spaldron

So its confirmed as I suspected that The Hobbit trailer will feature on the Tintin US release. No word on how we're getting it over here. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a352923/the-hobbit-trailer-to-debut-in-front-of-tintin-says-elijah-wood.html

Post #: 308
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 1/12/2011 7:48:45 PM   
MartinBlank76

Yes, the christmas time anniversary Lord of the Rings rewatch continues.

I watched Two Towers Extended Edition last night. 3 and a half hours of middle earth greatness. Of samwise mistrusting Gollum and cooking po-ta-toes. Of Faramir, Captain of Gondor, showing his quality. Of Eowyn making googoo eyes at Aragorn even though his heart belongs to another. Of Legolas and Gimli becoming best buds. Of Pippin and Merry wandering about fangorn sitting in a tree. Seriously, they spend most of the film sitting in a tree.

Of Gandalf coming back from the dead long enough to free theoden king, and then disappearing again to the end of the film. What, was he shooting Xmen 2 at the time?! Of unbelievably spectacular shots, aerial and otherwise of New Zea...I mean middle earth. The NZ tourist board must have rubbing their hands in glee when watching this.

Of how the shot of Sarumans Uruk Hai army amassed outside Isengard still has the power to shock and awe. No wonder Grimer lets a lone tear roll down his cheek at the sight of it. How come Aragorn has Theoden spare his life? Is it just because Aragorn doesn’t kill in cold blood, only in battle? Even though why not at least throw him in jail. He tells Saruman all about Helms Deep and its defences.

Of me getting a wee bit teary at the end over one of Sams speeches again. Stupid fat hobbit always gets me misty eyed. Even Gollum gets a bit misty eyed then.

There is a great scene with Boromir, faramir and their father in Osgilliarth before Boromir is sent to Rivendell, which tells so much more about the relationship between the three of them. And there is a line in there that is repeated later on in a scene that did make it into the theatrical version.

Helms Deep is still gobsmacking to watch. The special effects are still amazing, the scale of it all and the detail down to the smallest figure fleeing from the uruk hai as they storm the keep. The moment were they blow up the wall, with Theodens expression registering shock and disbelief. Theoden shouldn’t have taunted saruman with his ‘is this the best you have?’ Bernard Hill is epic in this. He could announce he was away of to the toilet in the middle of a battle and it would still sound kingly. Best line - 'no father should ever have to bury his son'.

Sauron has been gone for a few thousand years until recently. Whats been happening in Mordor since then? Did everyone just leave it as a wasteland never to return too? Maybe if they had populated it, evil wouldn’t have been able to rise once more. Though I suppose maybe evil hung in the air there and who would want to live there anyway with all the corpses in the swamp and that big black gate you have to push open and close everytime you want to enter or leave.

What really hit me last night was how much darker the second film was compared to the first. As Eomer says, 'do not dare to hope, it has forsaken these lands.' That shows through the film, the lands they roam with nothing as magical as rivendell or hobbiton but instead everywhere and everyone looks beaten down and desolate.

The Uruk Hai get hungry when all they have is maggoty bread for three days.

In fellowship the journey they take and the places they visit seem very different from each other and more wide ranging, I guess a bit more visually eye catching than the cold countryside of Edoras or the dark lands of Mordor. You feel more at a ground level through that journey, while in Two Towers there is a lot more birds eye view, I suppose to better show how the conflict as well as the fellowship have opened up and scattered and where it has gone from just a quest for the ring to encompass the war that is coming to middle earth.

Fellowship feels much more intimate in comparison to how immense and spectacular two towers is in scale of the battles. I love two towers and it gets top marks from me, but the Fellowship just shades it.

Next up Return of the King.

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 11/12/2011 9:44:56 PM >

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 309
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 1/12/2011 8:55:43 PM   
Spaldron

I agree with this ^

Post #: 310
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 2/12/2011 12:51:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yeah, that's a great post. Makes me want to watch them again!

Much more better!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 311
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 11/12/2011 4:59:19 PM   
MartinBlank76

Well, did the final chapter last night – return of the king extended edition. 4 hours that felt like it could have went on for another few hours I wouldn’t minded a jot. Though I suppose you can have too much of a good thing. To me the extended editions are the perfect versions, all the new footage fits perfectly so much so that since its been a while since I have watched the theatrical I find it hard at times to remember – is that a new bit? Is that? But it doesn’t matter because nearly all of it fits in seamlessly. These were not moments cut out due to lack of quality. In fact some of the moments that were cut surprise me they didnt make it into the theatrical version specifically the end of a number of the villans such as saruman, the mouth of sauron and big doughead orc, leader of the assault on Minus Tirith. For a film were you dont actually get a straightforward showdown with the main bad guy it is unusual that he didnt give the cinema audience the typical closure of us being able to cheer as the villans are slayed not just once but three times. Though I suppose the witch king does get it.

There were a few moments were the new scenes maybe weren’t feeling quite as in the right place, such as Eowyn being confined to bed, healed by Aragorns magic hankie, and then rising after a full nights sleep to lock eyes with Faramir lurking outside, probably thinking to herself, ‘sod Aragorn, he’ll do’. In all that time Pippin was still searching the battlefield for merry, though I suppose that gives a good idea of the carnage wrought, and the casualties lying slain, and the depth of pippins devotion to merry.

I can see why he dropped the army of the dead surprising the pirates since it is pretty much the same scene when they arrive at the battle but its insertion doesn’t really bother me.

The four hours just flies by and each time I watch the numerous goodbyes at the end I do not feel like its too much but rather just right considering its a farewell not just to one epic film but to three. I like them ending back in hobitton the camera resting on sams door, though frodo sailing away just before that feels like a pretty good ending too.

The battle of Minus Tirith had a lot of pressure on it to outdo helms deep, though I dont think it needs too, both battle are awe inspiring spectacles and while minus tirith starts as a siege like helms deep it ends on pelanor fields marking it out as different and on a much greater scale. Denathor finally seeing what is happening outside his walls when he comes face to face with the host that awaits reminds me of the scene outside Isengard in two towers except this is even more pants filling especially if you are a resident of minus tirith. While it doesn’t actually show denathor using a palantir stone, he gives plenty of hints that is the case. Such as his knowledge of Aragorn and his procolamation on top of Faramirs funeral pyre. A madman who has been defeated by the hopelessness of his task laid low by grief, but also the hint that he is not blatantly in saurons pocket but that his mind has been weakened by him.

Some more great Jackson trademark swooping camerawork in this, especially when the nazgul are flying and attacking the citys defences, lifting soldiers and hurling them to their doom. The special effects still rock in this and any tiny moments of over-CGIness arent enough to take you out of the film. Legolas balancing skills in the elephant attack being the closest it comes, but still a great scene.

My misty eyed moment this time came from a different hobbit instead of sam for once, merry and his speech about fighting for his friends to Eowyn. Also at the end with the ‘you bow to no one’ moment but that was caused more by the wave of emotion you feel at that moment, almost like its been building up throughout the trilogy and this is when it is released.

Frodo was quite a stout hearted fellow to be able to resist and bear the ring for so long. Considering how quickly others get corrupted. No quicker than smeagol, he had only laid eyes on the ring and his hands were round his friends neck. He must have been a bit of a unsavoury chap already.

I feel sorry for good ol faramir, despite all his troubles he still took a few minutes to banter with and comfort pippin, before his father sent him to his death. I can only assume Denathor wasn’t always so objectionable to have raised boromir and faramir. Great performance by John Noble, while being quite hissable you do have a modicum of sympathy because of his portrayal you feel its not all his fault, that he is not all in charge of his faculties, that he is being driven quite mad. Great shot of him running aflame and leaping from the highest point in the city as the camera swoops down into the battle again.

Even amongst all the spectacle, battles and moments that take your breath away, Jackson and the trilogy as a whole still find time, and prove most expert at those quieter character based moments, that pluck at the heart, fill you with sadness or cause the emotion you feel at the end of this journey to be even greater. Faramirs attempt to retake osgiliarth cut with pippin singing a sad song just captures all what you are meant to feel despite Jackson not showing you the cost of the attack. Gandalf and Pippin share many nice heartfelt moments in this and for once pippin becomes more than the comic relief, more than just a fool of a took.

The lighting of the beacons. Just awesome.

Howard Shores score. Still awesome.

There are plenty of elves throughout the trilogy, were are all the dwarves? Hiding under the mountain? Is that their excuse for not seeing the beacons and not coming to gondors aid? Surely even under the mountain they would not be safe from Saurons wrath. Or else they are fighting elsewhere.

The ride of the rohirrim. When I saw this in the cinema I had to resist the temptation to stand up and shout CHARRRRGEEE! I had that temptation all over again last night and though yet again I refrained from indulging. I am sure my neighbour next door would have understood, and thought, ‘watching the ride of the rohirrim I betcha.’

While the battles of helms deep and minus tirith still leave my gob on the floor and thrill me to the edge of my seat my favourite action scene of the trilogy is in fellowship. The battle at the end, boromirs last stand, Aragorn facing down the horde by himself, the expression on his face saying, ‘come and get it’ and his duel with the uruk hai which seems to be going against him before he unleashes his finishing move.

All three are 10/10 masterpieces for me, with fellowship having the slight edge, I dont know if its because it was the first and the whole world seemed fresh and new, or maybe its just because I liked the fellowship themselves so much, their journey and camaraderie together. Not that the journeys of the fragmented fellowship weren’t totally compelling but there was some kind of feeling to the first film, a feeling of hope and magic that understandably changes as the dark hand of Sauron spreads across middle earth. The perfect trilogy and an amazing cinematic achievement which I am sure shall still thrill me for years to come.

Post #: 312
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 11/12/2011 8:18:25 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Well, did the final chapter last night – return of the king extended edition. 4 hours that felt like it could have went on for another few hours I wouldn’t minded a jot. Though I suppose you can have too much of a good thing. To me the extended editions are the perfect versions, all the new footage fits perfectly so much so that since its been a while since I have watched the theatrical I find it hard at times to remember – is that a new bit? Is that? But it doesn’t matter because nearly all of it fits in seamlessly. These were not moments cut out due to lack of quality. In fact some of the moments that were cut surprise me they didnt make it into the theatrical version specifically the end of a number of the villans such as saruman, the mouth of sauron and big doughead orc, leader of the assault on Minus Tirith. For a film were you dont actually get a straightforward showdown with the main bad guy it is unusual that he didnt give the cinema audience the typical closure of us being able to cheer as the villans are slayed not just once but three times. Though I suppose the witch king does get it.

There were a few moments were the new scenes maybe weren’t feeling quite as in the right place, such as Eowyn being confined to bed, healed by Aragorns magic hankie, and then rising after a full nights sleep to lock eyes with Faramir lurking outside, probably thinking to herself, ‘sod Aragorn, he’ll do’. In all that time Pippin was still searching the battlefield for merry, though I suppose that gives a good idea of the carnage wrought, and the casualties lying slain, and the depth of pippins devotion to merry.

I can see why he dropped the army of the dead surprising the pirates since it is pretty much the same scene when they arrive at the battle but its insertion doesn’t really bother me.

The four hours just flies by and each time I watch the numerous goodbyes at the end I do not feel like its too much but rather just right considering its a farewell not just to one epic film but to three. I like them ending back in hobitton the camera resting on sams door, though frodo sailing away just before that feels like a pretty good ending too.

The battle of Minus Tirith had a lot of pressure on it to outdo helms deep, though I dont think it needs too, both battle are awe inspiring spectacles and while minus tirith starts as a siege like helms deep it ends on pelanor fields marking it out as different and on a much greater scale. Denathor finally seeing what is happening outside his walls when he comes face to face with the host that awaits reminds me of the scene outside Isengard in two towers except this is even more pants filling especially if you are a resident of minus tirith. While it doesn’t actually show denathor using a palantir stone, he gives plenty of hints that is the case. Such as his knowledge of Aragorn and his procolamation on top of Faramirs funeral pyre. A madman who has been defeated by the hopelessness of his task laid low by grief, but also the hint that he is not blatantly in saurons pocket but that his mind has been weakened by him.

Some more great Jackson trademark swooping camerawork in this, especially when the nazgul are flying and attacking the citys defences, lifting soldiers and hurling them to their doom. The special effects still rock in this and any tiny moments of over-CGIness arent enough to take you out of the film. Legolas balancing skills in the elephant attack being the closest it comes, but still a great scene.

My misty eyed moment this time came from a different hobbit instead of sam for once, merry and his speech about fighting for his friends to Eowyn. Also at the end with the ‘you bow to no one’ moment but that was caused more by the wave of emotion you feel at that moment, almost like its been building up throughout the trilogy and this is when it is released.

Frodo was quite a stout hearted fellow to be able to resist and bear the ring for so long. Considering how quickly others get corrupted. No quicker than smeagol, he had only laid eyes on the ring and his hands were round his friends neck. He must have been a bit of a unsavoury chap already.

I feel sorry for good ol faramir, despite all his troubles he still took a few minutes to banter with and comfort pippin, before his father sent him to his death. I can only assume Denathor wasn’t always so objectionable to have raised boromir and faramir. Great performance by John Noble, while being quite hissable you do have a modicum of sympathy because of his portrayal you feel its not all his fault, that he is not all in charge of his faculties, that he is being driven quite mad. Great shot of him running aflame and leaping from the highest point in the city as the camera swoops down into the battle again.

Even amongst all the spectacle, battles and moments that take your breath away, Jackson and the trilogy as a whole still find time, and prove most expert at those quieter character based moments, that pluck at the heart, fill you with sadness or cause the emotion you feel at the end of this journey to be even greater. Faramirs attempt to retake osgiliarth cut with pippin singing a sad song just captures all what you are meant to feel despite Jackson not showing you the cost of the attack. Gandalf and Pippin share many nice heartfelt moments in this and for once pippin becomes more than the comic relief, more than just a fool of a took.

There are plenty of elves throughout the trilogy, were are all the dwarves? Hiding under the mountain? Is that their excuse for not seeing the beacons and not coming to gondors aid? Surely even under the mountain they would not be safe from Saurons wrath. Or else they are fighting elsewhere.

The ride of the rohirrim. When I saw this in the cinema I had to resist the temptation to stand up and shout CHARRRRGEEE! I had that temptation all over again last night and though yet again I refrained from indulging. I am sure my neighbour next door would have understood, and thought, ‘watching the ride of the rohirrim I betcha.’

While the battles of helms deep and minus tirith still leave my gob on the floor and thrill me to the edge of my seat my favourite action scene of the trilogy is in fellowship. The battle at the end, boromirs last stand, Aragorn facing down the horde by himself, the expression on his face saying, ‘come and get it’ and his duel with the uruk hai which seems to be going against him before he unleashes his finishing move.

All three are 10/10 masterpieces for me, with fellowship having the slight edge, I dont know if its because it was the first and the whole world seemed fresh and new, or maybe its just because I liked the fellowship themselves so much, their journey and camaraderie together. Not that the journeys of the fragmented fellowship weren’t totally compelling but there was some kind of feeling to the first film, a feeling of hope and magic that understandably changes as the dark hand of Sauron spreads across middle earth. The perfect trilogy and an amazing cinematic achievement which I am sure shall still thrill me for years to come.

This ^ sums up why LOTR is better that Star Wars.

Post #: 313
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 11/12/2011 9:01:00 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

quote:

This ^ sums up why LOTR is better that Star Wars.

I love star wars, hell I even like the prequels, and star wars was my first movie love but the only star wars film that comes close to LOTR is empire. What george kept forgetting, especially in the prequels, and what were so important in LOTR are those special little moments that LOTR was stuffed with, that helped you emotionally engage with this world and get to know and love these characters.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 314
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 11/12/2011 11:56:49 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Brilliant post.

Much more better!

Post #: 315
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 12/12/2011 11:19:26 AM   
Buddy Ackerman

So is anyone doing anything on Monday to mark the tenth anniversary of Fellowship?

I have a very geeky thing planned - I'm watching Fellowship: Extended Edition on the big screen and, if it's possible, turning it into an all-nighter of all three extended edtions.

I've seen each of the theatrical editions 10-15 times each at the cinema but I've never seen the extended editions on the big screen so I'm looking forward to it very much. I'm like Gimli in that I haven't seen the extended editions for ages (in fact I've only see Return of the King EE once, when I first got it) so I'm hoping a lot of it will be fresh to me. And big! And loud!

"If you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!"

Post #: 316
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 12/12/2011 11:27:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buddy Ackerman

So is anyone doing anything on Monday to mark the tenth anniversary of Fellowship?

I have a very geeky thing planned - I'm watching Fellowship: Extended Edition on the big screen and, if it's possible, turning it into an all-nighter of all three extended edtions.

I've seen each of the theatrical editions 10-15 times each at the cinema but I've never seen the extended editions on the big screen so I'm looking forward to it very much. I'm like Gimli in that I haven't seen the extended editions for ages (in fact I've only see Return of the King EE once, when I first got it) so I'm hoping a lot of it will be fresh to me. And big! And loud!

Even on the last few viewing sof the EEs, but ROTK especially, I was picking up on new stuff and there were always moments that I'd completely forgotten about. I cant wait until I see them all again, but it won't be this year

It's amazing to think it's now been 10 years since FOTR. I saw it on the day of it's release, not for any other reason then it was a film that looked good that was showing on the day. I had no idea it would become my favourite film and something of an obsession. That was a nice surprise

Much more better!

(in reply to Buddy Ackerman)
Post #: 317
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 12/12/2011 11:43:11 AM   
Buddy Ackerman

quote:

It's amazing to think it's now been 10 years since FOTR. I saw it on the day of it's release, not for any other reason then it was a film that looked good that was showing on the day. I had no idea it would become my favourite film and something of an obsession. That was a nice surprise

Exaclty the same here. I had no idea how much I'd love the film and how deeply it would intergrate itself into my life.

Going back to an earlier post of yours, I went to the live orchestra version of the films as well - absolutely stunning. Did you get to meet Howard Shore afterwards? I did for Fellowship - queued up for ages and had to get a very expensive taxi back across London to get to Waterloo but worth it. My signed copy of the Fellowship score is one of my prized posessions (sitting next to my Ian McKellan-signed copy of the Fellowship DVD).

"If you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!"

Post #: 318
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 12/12/2011 11:49:16 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I did! He signed the booklet for the Complete FOTR and ROTK recordings, the liner notes for the standard TT soundtrack (we'd been told he wouldn't be there so I had to buy something on the day to get signed) and both he had Doug Adams signed the book that was released last year. The concerts were tremendous, three of the best experiences of my life.

I'm jealous that you met Ian McKellen!

Much more better!

Post #: 319
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 12/12/2011 11:57:51 AM   
Buddy Ackerman

I met him at Fellowship (I think I went the days he wasn't there for ROTK and TTT) so the book hadn't been released at the time but that would have been fantastic (in fact I still haven't got it - it's on my Christmas list though). And I hadn't expected him to be doing signings at FOTR, just a talk at the start which I got there early for. So I had to buy a new copy of the CD for him to sign as well! He was great to meet but I'm sure he gave me an odd look when, after the usual spiel of congratulating him on everything he'd accomplished and how incredible it must be to see something he created beloved by so many, I told him that I love the score so much that I used the Shire music as my alarm clock music for a whole year and that it's the perfect music to wake up to. I was doing so well and then I had to go and say something odd...

Doug Adams was there too, I managed much better with him as I don't think many people were geeking out about him but I was raving to him about his linear notes from the Complete Recordings.

Ian McKellan was the perfect gentleman, as you'd expect, even if he was just trying to go home. Mostly I just gushed praise at him but he was very gracious and friendly and chatty (I think it helped that I didn't just say "Lordoftheringslordoftheringslordoftherings" at him). I wished him luck with everything as he left but especially The Hobbit, so if it turns out well I think I can take.. ooh, 98% of the credit?

Post #: 320
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 12/12/2011 12:37:15 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

I'll be watching Evil Dead 2...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 321
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 12/12/2011 4:33:48 PM   
Buddy Ackerman

Well that's quicker, I'll give you that...

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 322
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 12/12/2011 6:52:20 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Im gonna watch Willow!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 323
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 13/12/2011 1:27:59 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Im gonna watch Willow!

Both of you are Losers.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 324
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 13/12/2011 1:30:36 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

I take it they're screening it near you? There's nowhere in my area screening LOTR.

Incidentally Iv'e only seen one EE on the big screen (FOTR), I missed TTT and as far as I'm aware ROTK hasn't been screened in its extended form in the UK. Unless I missed that one.

Post #: 325
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 13/12/2011 6:36:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I told him that I love the score so much that I used the Shire music as my alarm clock music for a whole year and that it's the perfect music to wake up to. I was doing so well and then I had to go and say something odd...

That's brilliant

quote:

Ian McKellan was the perfect gentleman, as you'd expect, even if he was just trying to go home. Mostly I just gushed praise at him but he was very gracious and friendly and chatty (I think it helped that I didn't just say "Lordoftheringslordoftheringslordoftherings" at him). I wished him luck with everything as he left but especially The Hobbit, so if it turns out well I think I can take.. ooh, 98% of the credit?

I don't think I'd manage to say anything at all sensible if I met him. My sister once wrote him a letter and got signed photos for both her and myself. That was very good of him.

I don't think I was even aware that any EEs of the films had been shown in the cinema. I'd jump at the chance to go and see them.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 13/12/2011 6:37:11 AM >

Much more better!

Post #: 326
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 13/12/2011 10:04:23 AM   
Buddy Ackerman

quote:

I take it they're screening it near you? There's nowhere in my area screening LOTR.

Incidentally Iv'e only seen one EE on the big screen (FOTR), I missed TTT and as far as I'm aware ROTK hasn't been screened in its extended form in the UK. Unless I missed that one.

You didn't miss it, they never did it in the UK - Fellowship and Towers got prints of their EE made for the run-up to King's theatrical release, they've never done the whole trilogy over here. Maybe next year for The Hobbit.

And no-one's screening it per se - I'm just very lucky in that I have a cool job that means I can do this sort of thing from time to time. Just me and a couple of friends (and lots of coffee).

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 327
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 16/12/2011 12:01:31 AM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

. Of Pippin and Merry wandering about fangorn sitting in a tree. Seriously, they spend most of the film sitting in a tree.

TREE! I am no tree. I am an Ent.

Post #: 328
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 16/12/2011 7:45:47 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nihilism in the UK

quote:

. Of Pippin and Merry wandering about fangorn sitting in a tree. Seriously, they spend most of the film sitting in a tree.

TREE! I am no tree. I am an Ent.

(in reply to Nihilism in the UK)
Post #: 329
RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit - 18/12/2011 1:21:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

Who among you knew about the live action LOTR tv series from the 1990s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koj0V7G46fs

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Lord Of The Rings & The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI