Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Lord Of The Rings

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Lord Of The Rings Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 9:04:30 PM   
coolstar

Words cant describe how good these films are but they are the very best. They get better every time i watch them especally Rotk.
The experiance of watching these films is breathtaking from Fotr to Rotk . The battle of halms deep is fantastic and the battle for middle earth is just wow !!!
One Ring to rule them all and its the greatest show on middle earth

I am going Deep Deep undercover
Post #: 1
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 9:25:50 PM   
DaveNewman18

I'm a big fan of the books, and I was very pleased with the on screen result, fantastic cinematic viewing.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 2
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 9:27:51 PM   
doncopey1

Seriously has a better trilogy ever been made? Each film is a masterpiece from start to finish and the EE are probably the greatest things i have ever seen. Return of the King EE at four hours is still too short. In a word GENIUS

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 3
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 9:28:13 PM   
dja1231

I just watched all three extended versions over the weekend.  Still as powerful the first time I saw them.
Donna A.

Life is to short to be crabby.

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 4
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 9:51:21 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

Seriously has a better trilogy ever been made? Each film is a masterpiece from start to finish and the EE are probably the greatest things i have ever seen. Return of the King EE at four hours is still too short. In a word GENIUS

Ah, I get it, irony. When you said ROTK at four hours was to short what you are actually saying its an hour and a half to long.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 5
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 10:00:19 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: amateur ghostbuster

quote:

Ah, I get it, irony. When you said ROTK at four hours was to short what you are actually saying its an hour and a half to long.

no chance lad

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to amateur ghostbuster)
Post #: 6
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 10:02:14 PM   
coolstar

No four hours is purfict everthing fits in with the story

(in reply to amateur ghostbuster)
Post #: 7
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 10:42:49 PM   
pablohoolio

Despite the current trend to slag these movies off (what is with that?) they are still fantastic and everything I always imagined a Lord of the Rings movie to be.
I think when you watch the DVD Extended Cut Extra's and see just how much care and workmanship went into every single aspect of the movies you can see why they were so successful.

A fantasy subject treated with respect as if it was a historical period of time that actually happened, and the camaraderie of the cast and crew shows through every minute too. Even watching the making of documentaries brings you to tears at times! You can see just what they meant to the actors, and I think that's what makes these movies so special.

I was never a huge fan of the book, actually I've never read it, but I had seen the animated movie when younger and it always stayed with me, and like I say, Fellowship was EXACTLY what was in my mind when I imagined Lord of the Rings (even the effeminate elves!)

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 8
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 17/4/2007 10:45:44 PM   
clownfoot

I can watch the whole Evil Dead trilogy in the running time of the four hour version of Return of the King and have the enjoyment of a far better army of the dead riot to watch (with comedy skeletons), not some splurge of green ectoplasm that wins the day for the Fellowship after some lazy effects monkey decided not to bother with the climatic grandstanding finale at the siege of Gondor. Fools...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 9
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 12:39:27 AM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

Back to the Future
Indiana Jones
Star Wars [original]

But the LotR movies aren't bad. Lord of the Rings 2 is probably the best, if only for the Helm's Deep battle.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 10
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 1:27:38 AM   
darth silas

i found the lotr trilogy very boring.sorry.

im on the side of that clerks 2 guy..''those hobbit movies were boring as hell,three movies of people walking to a fucking volcano!''

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 11
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 3:37:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've said my piece about these films countless times over the forums. For now I'll just say that they're my favourite films of all time. I've seen them all over 30 times and I enjoy them more with each viewing. The most fantastically captivating, entrancing and engaging cinematic experience I've had the pleasure of watching.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 12
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 11:22:48 AM   
Beno

All three movies are great but im a massive fan of "The Fellowship". For me it is the perfect movie and deserved as many Oscars as "ROTK" got . Every minute spent in The Mines of Moria , to me , in that movie is sheer genius .
                               What are other forumites favourite parts or scenes
                               from "LOTR" trilogy ????

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 13
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 11:45:39 AM   
coolstar

From Fotr to Rotk every scene is special and breathtaking .The actors are fantastic and so are the sets which brought the book to life

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 14
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 11:52:33 AM   
pauljthomas

I respect people's view, however, I cannot understand & have never heard a half decent explanation as to why there are so many people that do not like these films. The Lord Of The Rings is a fantastic story & I just hope someone pulls their finger out their arse, settles any differences & makes The Hobbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Xmasses at the filcks haven't been the same since the trilogy ended.

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 15
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 11:52:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

All three movies are great but im a massive fan of "The Fellowship". For me it is the perfect movie and deserved as many Oscars as "ROTK" got . Every minute spent in The Mines of Moria , to me , in that movie is sheer genius .
                            from "LOTR" trilogy ????

I did post a list a while back of my favourite scenes. I'll try and find it and repost it.

My favourite bit is in Moria, the entire sequence from entering Dwarrowdelf to when the fellowship leave Moria and are in mourning. The whole scene - the vastness of Dwarrowdelf, Gandalf's reading from the book, the battle in Balin's Tomb, the fellowship surrounded by orcs and the first glimpse of the balrog, the collapsing stairway and finally the awesome, spine-tingling standoff at Khazad-dum. In the cinema, it was at this point, with "You shall not pass" I realised I was watching something truly special.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 18/4/2007 12:10:04 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 16
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 12:07:13 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

from "LOTR" trilogy ????

I did post a list a while back of my favourite scsnes. I'll try and find it and repost it.

My favourite bit is in Moria, the entire sequence from entering Dwarrowdelf to when the fellowship leave Moria and are in mourning. The whole scene - the vastness of Dwarrowdelf, Gandal's reading from the book, the battle in Balin's Tomb, the felowship surrounded by orcs and the first glimpse of the barolg, the collapsing stairway and finally the awesome, spinetingling standoff at Khazad-dum. In the cinema, it was at this point, with "You shall not pass" I realised I was watching something truly special.

DAMN RIGHT , SO BIG SCREEN...SO INTENSE . I REMEMBER LOOKING AT MY TWO SONS FACES DURING THE WHOLE MORIA SEGMENT AND THEY WERE IN AWE .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 17
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 12:12:13 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Just noticed how many spelling mistakes my post had

I tend to view all three films as one, but I will often say that FOTR is my favourite, and Moria plays a huge part in that. Even now I get goosebumps watching it.

Much more better!

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 18
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 4:03:04 PM   
Evessa

BIG BIG fan here! Think my favourite part of the films and the books is when Frodo and co are pusued by the Nazgul through the forest, that part is truely scary in words and pictures
The ending also makes the hairs on my neck stand up (well actually there are several parts in the trilogy that do this!)
Hope the Hobbit makes it to the screen or the Silmarlion  either would cool so I can get my LOTR fix!

"I know, egg and my face were in alignment" -

Post #: 19
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 5:26:23 PM   
justified by grace

It's an incredible achievement that Peter Jackson and co. managed to do justice to such an awesome book, and created probably the most epic films to date.  Every aspect of the films is brilliant.

ROTK is my favourite of the three, although FOTR is the most flawless, and TTT gains the most from the Extended Edition.

In my opinion, the Siege of Minas Tirith is the greatest battle ever put onscreen (and it's mindblowing on the big screen).

Megamind ****
The King’s Speech ****˝
Despicable Me ****˝
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole ***˝
A Serious Man ****
Lars and the Real Girl ***˝
Lourdes **
The Return ***˝
Doubt ***˝
Star Trek: Nemesis ****

(in reply to Evessa)
Post #: 20
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 7:26:55 PM   
eam91

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

Despite the current trend to slag these movies off (what is with that?) they are still fantastic and everything I always imagined a Lord of the Rings movie to be.
I think when you watch the DVD Extended Cut Extra's and see just how much care and workmanship went into every single aspect of the movies you can see why they were so successful.

A fantasy subject treated with respect as if it was a historical period of time that actually happened, and the camaraderie of the cast and crew shows through every minute too. Even watching the making of documentaries brings you to tears at times! You can see just what they meant to the actors, and I think that's what makes these movies so special.

I was never a huge fan of the book, actually I've never read it, but I had seen the animated movie when younger and it always stayed with me, and like I say, Fellowship was EXACTLY what was in my mind when I imagined Lord of the Rings (even the effeminate elves!)

Totally agree - the special features on the Extended Edition DVD's are easily the best on any DVD ever!

I love every moment of the trilogy from start to finish - with my favorite film 'The Fellowship of the Ring' (which is also my favorite book).
But my absolute favorite part of the trillogy is from the very start of the first film, right through 'till the Council of Elrond scene. That first half of the 'Fellowship of the Ring' is utterly flawless, second after second of cinematic perfection, the ultimate marrige with impeccable setting (i.e. the 'art' of the film - the locations, Bilbo's home), acting, script, music (the best ever movie soundtrack) and acting (the characters simply could not have been realised any better).

One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 21
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 7:53:58 PM   
umer_ejaz

I hope Jackson does the Hobbit, the Lord of the rings were a masterpiece.

#9 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to eam91)
Post #: 22
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 8:06:40 PM   
ednamode

wow, i dont believe ive ever posted here before... i love lord of the rings...dont know how many times i've watched my 12 special extended dvds through, but it was worth it!

I never look back, darling. It distracts me from the now.

(in reply to umer_ejaz)
Post #: 23
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 9:48:34 PM   
coolstar

My fav scene is when gandalf rides to the city of Minas Tirith .

(in reply to ednamode)
Post #: 24
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 10:06:54 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

from "LOTR" trilogy ????

I did post a list a while back of my favourite scenes. I'll try and find it and repost it.

My favourite bit is in Moria, the entire sequence from entering Dwarrowdelf to when the fellowship leave Moria and are in mourning. The whole scene - the vastness of Dwarrowdelf, Gandalf's reading from the book, the battle in Balin's Tomb, the fellowship surrounded by orcs and the first glimpse of the balrog, the collapsing stairway and finally the awesome, spine-tingling standoff at Khazad-dum. In the cinema, it was at this point, with "You shall not pass" I realised I was watching something truly special.

Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises!

< Message edited by adamdavidsmith -- 18/4/2007 10:07:18 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 10:14:54 PM   
boaby

has a better trilogy been made? Yes. Add Leone's Dollars trilogy to the aready mentioned BttF, Indy, SW.

IMO the climax of RotK is painfully slow after Pelenor Fields (sp). Hurry up and finish I need a bloody piss!

I had no sympathy for Frodo by the end. In fact I get a bit pissed off with him. He just seems more whiny in the films than the books. The cheese-factor at the end is off the scale.

All the other characters I think are well done. The reluctant acknowledgement that they must do what they do is well done, especially in the other Hobbits. Except Legolas, I would never tire of battering Legelos' smug face.

Frodo gives the impression of being a git.

I also think Saruman comes across a bit pantomime.

Having said that, seeing the Rohirrim charge was a special feeling, still is. The world on screen is done brilliantly and puts Lucas to shame. Helm's deep is awesome. The supporting characters are all done well, especially Denethor, Faramir, Boromir. Gollum is brilliant.

I still enjoy watching them. Despite the flaws the successes are monumental.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 26
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 10:41:02 PM   
BobM70

O God...another LOTR thread.

Masterful films, great book, millions of admirers, so fucking great...

Enough now...

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 27
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 18/4/2007 10:57:35 PM   
ednamode

i love in ROTK when Gandalf says at minas tirith ....(something like this).... "you are soldiers of Gondor, no matter what comes through those gates you shall stand your ground!".... the doors open,a load of giant cave trolls with armour and clubs pour in and you see that look in his eyes that shows he'd love to leg it... its classic, mc kellen does it brilliantly!

I never look back, darling. It distracts me from the now.

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 28
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 19/4/2007 10:48:25 AM   
JIm R

The books are boring, the films are boring and the amount of fucking verions there are, which fucking version is the definitive one, Jackson is a complete arsehole, 'yes here's two minutes of a hobbit walking sideways to the ring I found behind my sofa, let's release another cut of the film'

Overated does not even begin to cover it.

(in reply to ednamode)
Post #: 29
RE: The Lord Of The Rings - 19/4/2007 12:50:41 PM   
matty_b

A magnificent achievement from the first second of its 9+ hours right to the last. Packed full of detail, it's a cinematic world that immerses you in its own reality unlike any other. The opening in the Shire is just beautiful - I could spend hours wallowing in that segment. But it just doesn't look great - wonderful soundtrack, great acting (mostly) and heroes that you really care for whilst they're on the edge of disaster.

It has an epic sweep that just blows your mind every time - with the Pelenoor fields battle achieving a Biblical scope. Yet it's not just the big moments that resonate - Aragorn's charge into the Orc hordes at the end of Fellowship, Legolas surfing down the stairs on a shield, Sam and Frodo's last desperate stumble up Mount Doom, Boromir's dying words, Aragorn's final words to the Hobbits, Gandalf taking charge of Gondor at the last...just pure cinematic bliss. Too many endings? Pah. Not long enough in my opinion.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Lord Of The Rings Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI