Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Danny Boyle-overrated?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Danny Boyle-overrated? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Danny Boyle-overrated? - 17/4/2007 8:13:12 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

Now Iím sure many of you are fans and I in know way believe him to be a bad director, contrary to that I think heís quite good, but still only quite good. What frustrates me though is the barrage of critical acclaim he receives from the British press.

Shallow Grave in my opinion is one of the most overrated movies Iíve seen in a long time and I find it difficult to understand the credit it receives from so many.
I found the yuppie like characters to be nothing more than annoying, caring not for a second about their eventual fates. Thereís just nothing to care about in this film, it has no heart, no soul. While Boyle obviously shows some great technical skill in this film he lacks any coherent structure. This is why I find his comparisons to Tarantino laughable.
Yet the critics loved it. Empire themselves gave it five stars. Surely a wild misjudgment but they back it to this day and their not the only ones. Itís not fun or scary just a bit gross.

The Beach is a wasted chance. Characters and source material are simplified making it far more difficult to care, something reminiscent of his debut. The film wobbles along in a lazy manner giving us a half arsed moral instead of a bite at modern society.

His other films which Iíve seen stand up well in comparison. Trainspotting, 28 Days later and Sunshine were all modest efforts which deserve recognition for their minimalist, gritty edge but to say their anything better than excellent would be a lie.

So why do the British journalists love him so? Is it because in a day when there are no truly great British directors he seems like the best alternative? After his debut they called him the British Tarantino yet Iíve never seen any of his films come close to the likes of Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. Trainspotting is seen as a beacon of British cinema, considered one of our best. How can this be when we had the works of Powell and Lean coming from Britain? Your opinions please.

Post #: 1
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 17/4/2007 8:20:31 PM   
doncopey1

Yeah i agree with. Now i think he is a very talented director but the acclaim he gets is a bit nonsense. His masterpiece Trainspotting deserves every bit of praise, whilst his brilliant film Sunshine again is a reason to give him praise. But yes, typically the British again hype the director as the greatest thing since sliced bread, well simply because he's British. Now we are guilty for doing this, at the oscars the publicity the Queen got was disgraceful everything focused on Helen Mirren and Stephen Frears, for their astounding acheivements? (okay). Yes their acheivements were good, but they failed to promote other contenders such as the better and deserving Paul Greengrass who is also British, now because Frears film had clearly a more British feel they felt obliged to focus on this film, which i thought was pathetic. I feel thats what they're doing with Boyle a British director who has hit Hollywood with a bang, hes a genius. Hes a great director, but as you say the British press are the ones who are overrating him, they don't know jack about cinema half of the tabloid critics. 

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to amateur ghostbuster)
Post #: 2
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 17/4/2007 10:52:49 PM   
Carnosaur

I remember Danny Boyle once rating Romero's zombie films as fairly low level b-movie material. I was wondering if he had actually seen Day Of The Dead, because 28 Days Later's writer Alex Garland clearly had. Cheeky git.

He's a great visualist, perhaps not quite a great director... maybe a few more films in it'll be easier to judge. 

< Message edited by Carnosaur -- 21/4/2007 12:08:25 AM >

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 3
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 18/4/2007 3:21:14 PM   
ElephantBoy

Will have to give this some thought.  There maybe some truth to whats being said but he does bring a lot to the table, to me Shallow Graves a great film.  The characters very well written with a great and twisted plot,  i really like how it's all based in one room for the most part and the tenson built up thoughout.  His least favorite of mine is the Beach.  Too Hollywood glitz and glamour.  And the twist didn't work for me either.

(in reply to Carnosaur)
Post #: 4
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 18/4/2007 5:00:21 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Will have to give this some thought.  There maybe some truth to whats being said but he does bring a lot to the table, to me Shallow Graves a great film.  The characters very well written with a great and twisted plot,  i really like how it's all based in one room for the most part and the tenson built up thoughout.  His least favorite of mine is the Beach.  Too Hollywood glitz and glamour.  And the twist didn't work for me either.

I'll have to disagree with you there. The characters were to me, the most flawed thing about the movie. Spoilt and selfish they offer nothing that would warrant likeability. Due to this I felt no tension or adrenaline in what could have been a good scenario because I didn't really cared about who died or lived.
As for plot, well there's not much of it. Just a glossy sheen to make it look there is. Also I fail to see how it was set all in one room;the apartment, their workplaces, the forrest etc.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 19/4/2007 1:27:16 PM   
ElephantBoy

I said mainly set in one room, you may not relaise it but it is.  The point about the Characters is your not suposed to like them.  But it's the performances by the three leads which make watchable and exciting and keeps you guessing to the end.  The fact the three of them are so different makes it a uniqe story.

Post #: 6
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 19/4/2007 7:35:04 PM   
evil bill

I personaly think he's one of the top 5 UK direcctors around at the moment,and if he keeps up the good work like SUNSHINE(Bloody Brillant!)he might just one day take the crown from Sir Scott? Just Maybe?A talented artist who is heading up the ladder,

< Message edited by evil bill -- 19/4/2007 7:36:39 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 7
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 19/4/2007 9:44:14 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I said mainly set in one room, you may not relaise it but it is.  The point about the Characters is your not suposed to like them.  But it's the performances by the three leads which make watchable and exciting and keeps you guessing to the end.  The fact the three of them are so different makes it a uniqe story.

I am obviously unawares to the one room to which you refer, please enlighten me. As for the characters, yes their watchable, detestable but watchable moreover I do think we're supposed to like them, otherwise how can we feel sympathy or tension for them? As for them being different which makes their relationship all the more unique, I strongly disagree. The basis on lots of character interaction in films is their extreme difference.

Post #: 8
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 19/4/2007 9:47:15 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

I personaly think he's one of the top 5 UK direcctors around at the moment,and if he keeps up the good work like SUNSHINE(Bloody Brillant!)he might just one day take the crown from Sir Scott? Just Maybe?A talented artist who is heading up the ladder,

He is probably in Britian's top 5, but that really isn't saying much. I'm not denying his talent I just think it might be a bit over hyped.
Ridley Scott is not, in my opinion, the best Britsh director working today. I don't think there's ever point in his career when he has been.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 9
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 19/4/2007 10:15:28 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: amateur ghostbuster

Ridley Scott is not, in my opinion, the best Britsh director working today. I don't think there's ever point in his career when he has been.

I take it you've seen neither Alien nor Blade Runner.

Anyway, I think the reason that critics have re-embraced Boyle, is due to the kicking his reputation took after the misfires of A Life Less Ordinary and The Beach. Now that he's making good films again, he's had a reappraisal, and frankly, given that he is a really good director, and has made a good film recently, I can't say that I mind it. And David Fincher thinks he's great, so who am I to disagree?

Post #: 10
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 20/4/2007 12:22:13 PM   
ElephantBoy

I hope your calling a LLO a miss fire based on money made at the box office and not the film itself.  And it's a wonderful piece of filmaker, one Diaz best performance.  It has charm, wit a great look, fine set pieces and a kick arse sound track.  The Beach and Sunshine(sorry  EVIL BILL i didn't quite like Sunshine as much as you although it's still pretty solid) are his only let downs for me so far.  AGB you make interesting points, but i just have to disagree with them.  And i'm sorry it's not Boyles fault if in your eyes there's a lack of good British Directors.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 11
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 20/4/2007 6:20:51 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: amateur ghostbuster

I take it you've seen neither Alien nor Blade Runner.

Anyway, I think the reason that critics have re-embraced Boyle, is due to the kicking his reputation took after the misfires of A Life Less Ordinary and The Beach. Now that he's making good films again, he's had a reappraisal, and frankly, given that he is a really good director, and has made a good film recently, I can't say that I mind it. And David Fincher thinks he's great, so who am I to disagree?

I have seen both Alien and Blade Runner. I love them both, but people hold him in such high regard for these two films which make up only a small part of a 30 year career. This does not constitute being the best Britsh director. And before you ask I think Gladiator and Black Hawk Down are over-rated, with Thelma and Louise being superior to both.
As for Danny Boyle, I think the reappraisal he's been recieving for his recent film is fair enough, but his debut is constantly overpraised and I don't think he's as good as some people say, including David Fincher who's over-rated as well. Just to piss everyone off.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 12
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 21/4/2007 1:53:28 PM   
ElephantBoy

I would agree about Fincher i think.  And for the record i'm counting the flat as one room as shot as one long space.

Post #: 13
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 18/11/2008 6:24:32 PM   
Mason Verger

The Cinema of Danny Boyle from DailyFilmDose.com (Suggested by albacchus)

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 14
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 18/11/2008 6:29:11 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

He's a pretty uneven director but i hear good things about Slumdog Millionaire. I met him once, lovely chap.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 15
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 18/11/2008 7:21:42 PM   
Mr E

I think he's actually quite crap. Trainspotting's good though.

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 16
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 18/11/2008 7:22:08 PM   
Circe

A few years ago I would have thought he was overrated too, but after seeing Sunshine I'd have to reconsider. I fucking LOVE that movie. 

My signature is clever and witty

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 17
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 20/11/2008 3:54:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

May've said this before but I love how he works in different genres and bring a lot of himself to each one. For me he's very consistant with very few misfires.

(in reply to Circe)
Post #: 18
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 21/11/2008 5:42:16 PM   
Tech_Noir

Just wanna state that Sunshine is one of the most disappointing sci-fi films ever.

I still can't get my head around how much they ripped of a Paul Anderson film (Event Horizon) - of all films!

Post #: 19
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 21/11/2008 8:01:09 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Anderson
quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Just wanna state that Sunshine is one of the most disappointing sci-fi films ever.

I still can't get my head around how much they ripped of a Paul Anderson film (Event Horizon) - of all films!

But the film did have a great concept and some great ideas.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 20
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 21/11/2008 8:18:25 PM   
Mr E

Event Horizon's a good film. Sunshine is shit.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 21
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 9:25:17 AM   
rupert303

quote:

I still can't get my head around how much they ripped of a Paul Anderson film (EventHorizon)†- of all films!

I thought it was ok, the ending was shite...but I liked the tension and claustrophobia in the first half

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 22
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 9:27:32 AM   
Stillwater

I liked sunshine.  Sure the last 5 mins werent amazing but everything up until that point was spot on.

Trainspotting and 28 Days Later are ace, rest im not too fussed about.  I think we will have to wait til he has more of a back catalogue before we know how good he actually is.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 23
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 9:46:03 AM   
Circe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

Tsk. At least Sunshine is original.
Sure, it's not your typical 'blow shit up - in space!'-movie - thank God for that - but it doesn't strive to be. It's clever and original.

My signature is clever and witty

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 24
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 10:12:32 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Circe

quote:

Sure, it's not your typical 'blow shit up - in space!'-movie - thank God for that - but it doesn't strive to be. It's clever and original.

Astronauts fly to some hostile environment, set off bomb to save world, hero dies.

At least Armageddon had Buscemi cracking jokes.

(in reply to Circe)
Post #: 25
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 10:48:24 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

I still can't get my head around how much they ripped of a Paul Anderson film (EventHorizon)†- of all films!

TEch, as someone who has just written a sci-fi script, you should tread carefully when pointing fingers at other sci-fi films. Particularly as your own films ending has a whiff of Planet Of The Apes to it!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 26
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 11:06:39 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

TEch, as someone who has just written a sci-fi script, you should tread carefully when pointing fingers at other sci-fi films. Particularly as your own films ending has a whiff of Planet Of The Apes to it!

Hey, just because I occassionally write sci-fi (ranging for poor to piss poor) doesn't mean I have to like all other sci-fi films.

Sunshine was boring.

2010, now that's a great sci-fi film.

"What going to happen in two days?"

"Something wonderful"

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 22/11/2008 12:09:09 PM >

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 27
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 12:07:12 PM   
Mr E

quote:

quote:

Sunshine has to be one the most been-there/done-that films of all time! If you've seen Alien, 2001, Event Horizon or any episode of Star Trek you will know that it is far from original. It's predictable, boring, unrealistic and no way near as intelligent as it thinks it is. The characters were crap too. The film's supposed to be about a mission to save human life with one last shot at reigniting the sun and they send a bunch of mentally unstable imbeciles, all barely in their twenties who appear to have no experience whatsoever. Rubbish.

(in reply to Circe)
Post #: 28
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 12:34:47 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sunshine has to be one the most been-there/done-that films of all time! If you've seen Alien, 2001, Event Horizon or any episode of Star Trek you will know that it is far from original. It's predictable, boring, unrealistic and no way near as intelligent as it thinks it is. The characters were crap too. The film's supposed to be about a mission to save human life with one last shot at reigniting the sun and they send a bunch of mentally unstable imbeciles, all barely in their twenties who appear to have no experience whatsoever. Rubbish.

Yeah, they should have gotten someone who had been to the sun before.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 29
RE: Danny Boyle-overrated? - 22/11/2008 12:40:36 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

Sunshine has to be one the most been-there/done-that films of all time! If you've seen Alien, 2001, Event Horizon or any episode of Star Trek you will know that it is far from original. It's predictable, boring, unrealistic and no way near as intelligent as it thinks it is.

Really? When was the last time you flew a spaceship towards the sun?

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Danny Boyle-overrated? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI