Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Things to do in Denver When You're Dead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Things to do in Denver When You're Dead Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Things to do in Denver When You're Dead - 21/11/2005 9:18:17 PM   
Critical Bill

Hope I've done the right thing here. To my amazement, no one seems to have reviewed this 90's classic.
I watched this film for the umpteenth time last night and finally felt compelled to share my views. This is a 'heist gone wrong' film that thoroughly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as such greats as 'Reservoir Dogs' and 'the 'Usual Suspects'.
It has an intriging cast who all portray charcters with outrageous names ( see cast list at the end of this review ), directed by Gary Fleder when he was up and coming and written by the criminally underrated Scott Rosenberg long before Reservoir Dogs was even released and who had, by his own admission, seemed to have created a whole new language within this film. 
The story is quite a simple premise really. Andy Garcia is called upon to do one last job by a typically menacing Christopher Walken, who this time is acting from the neck up !
Garcia is forced to perform an 'Action' for Walken, a warning of sorts to his disturbed son's love rival. The plot, such as it, will not be spoiled for you here. Garcia enlists the help of his former crew to help with this job. This motley crew includes journeyman character actor William Forsythe, Christopher 'Doc Emmet Brown' Lloyd, man mountain actor Bill Nunn, who all put in wonderful performances and in an incredibly and somewhat surprisingly  insane, scene chewing performance, Treat Williams. We are left in no doubt just how psychotic Williams' character is when we see him in his first scene ! Indeed, I was so taken back by the outrageousness of that scene that I could not hold in my hysterics.
Following the usual formula, with a few quirky diferences, the heist/job inevitably goes wrong, leaving Garcia's crew in mortal danger for the rest of the film as Walken seeks vengence.
What sets this film apart from the rest of the field is the tight, humourus, witty and downright ridiculous script. There are lines and phrases from this film that my friends and I still quote to each other to this day! Even the romantic interludes between Garcia and Gabrielle Anwar's charcter are both touching and electric. I won't mention any of these, because I really want you to see this film, if you already haven't, and be pleasantly surprised as I was by something so inventive and enthralling.
There are many interesting threads in Empire's Movie Musings like, Coolest Movie Character, Most Interesting Character Name and the Movies' Biggest Bad Ass.
Well, look no further than this little gem, cause they're all here, and with such an original one off script with tight and atmospheric direction, cameos galore from the likes of Steve Buscemi, Jack Warden and Glen Plummer you really cannot ask for more ! BOATDRINKS !

CAST:

JIMMY THE SAINT - Andy Garcia
PIECES - Christopher Lloyd
FRANCHISE - William Forsythe
EASY WIND - Bill Nunn
CRITICAL BILL - Treat Williams
JOE HEFF - Jack Warden
MISTER SHHH - Steve Buscemi
DAGNEY - Gabrielle Anwar
BABY SINISTER - Glen Plummer
HOUSE - Tiny Lister Jr
ROOSTER - Don Cheadle
& Christopher Walken as THE MAN WITH THE PLAN.

' I AM GODZILLA.....YOU ARE JAPAN ! '

'Women who glide, need guys that make them thump!'
Post #: 1
RE: Things to do in Denver When You're Dead - 13/9/2013 5:38:53 PM   
AnamorphicWidescreen

Glad I found this thread.  Things to do in Denver when you're Dead is an excellent, underrated film.   Great story, performances, and unusual ending.  The Andy Garcia "Jimmy the Saint" character was especially interesting,  in that he was out of "the life" and running his own business, and was coerced into doing one last "job" for Christopher Walken, someone to whom he evidently owed a favor/favors. 

Also liked the Denver setting, which was unusual since you rarely see gangster/crime films set in that city.

(in reply to Critical Bill)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Things to do in Denver When You're Dead Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI